Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old June 14th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not a chair hog but...

I usually leave our stuff (towels, cover ups, sunglasses, and maybe a beach bag with all the misc stuff) all on one lounge chair by the pool for the whole family when we go swimming in the pools. This way we know where our stuff is, we can at times come back and rest a little, and we have a central place to meet up. Although we only occupy one chair for the whole family, I really hate to be labeled as a "chair hog". Where do you guys put your belongings when swimming on-board?

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH_ca View Post
I usually leave our stuff (towels, cover ups, sunglasses, and maybe a beach bag with all the misc stuff) all on one lounge chair by the pool for the whole family when we go swimming in the pools. This way we know where our stuff is, we can at times come back and rest a little, and we have a central place to meet up. Although we only occupy one chair for the whole family, I really hate to be labeled as a "chair hog". Where do you guys put your belongings when swimming on-board?

As long as you are in sight of your stuff on the chair, you'r not a chair hog in my book.

Old June 14th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would not consider this chair hog behavior at all.

Upcoming Cruises:
October 2014 - Princess - Royal Princess
November 2015 - RCI - Grandeur of the Seas
Previous Cruises
October 2013 - RCI - Explorer of the Seas
May 2012 - RCI - Explorer of the Seas (with the girls and parents - first corner aft!)
October 2010: RCI - Explorer of the Seas (first balcony!)
December 2000: NCL- Majesty
November 2000: CCL - Destiny
October 1995: RCCL - Nordic Empress

Old June 14th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't consider you a chair hog either!!! Its the people that go out and save ten chairs and have one person sit there at the crack of dawn that makes pool time frustrating to other people. in mho

Completed
Freedom of the Seas- December 2006

Old June 14th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

You are only a chair hog if you leave your stuff on a chair and are not in the pool area.
Past Cruises:
Legend 13 January 2014,Allure 17 November 2013
Jewel 31 August 2013, Independance 2 March 2013
Brillance January 2013, Vision November 2012
Freedom September 2012 Mariner January 2012
Adventure November 2011 Oasis September 2011
Radiance April 2011 Mariner Jan. 2011
Oasis Oct. 2010 Majesty Aug 2010
Mariner Jan. 2010 Adventure Sept. 2009
Explorer March 2009 Monarch Jan. 2009
Liberty Sept. 2008 Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I concur ...

If you are in the pool area, you aren't a chair hog. The reverse is also true!
Celebrity Constellation 2006 Baltic
Carnival Spirit 2007 Mexican Riviera
Celebrity Summit 2008 Western Mediterranean
Celebrity Infinity 2010 Panama West to East
RCL Enchantment o/t Seas 2011 NE USA/Can
RCL Freedom o/t Seas 2012 East Caribbean
RCL Freedom o/t Seas 2012 West Caribbean

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

A chair hog is someone who places unimportant items on a chair or chairs and then leaves the immediate area for long periods of time, usually trying to hold prime location chairs.

If you have your belongings, clothing, towels, shoes, etc. on a chair while you enjoy the pool or hot tubs, this is an acceptable usage of pool lounge chairs.

Don't worry about it, enjoy yourself!

1991- Windjammer Cruises The Flying Cloud; 1999-Carnival Elation;
2002-NCL Sun; 2003-Star Princess and Legend of the Seas; 2004-Legend of the Seas and Dawn Princess; 2005-Celebrity Millennium and Celebrity Century; 2006-Rhapsody of the Seas and Celebrity Mercury; 2007-Carnival Spirit; 2008- Celebrity Galaxy and Jewel of the Seas; 2009-Radiance of the Seas 2011-Freedom of the Seas B2B; 2012-Mariner of the Seas B2B; 2013-Oasis of the Seas; 2014 Brilliance of the Seas B2B

Old June 15th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with all of the above you are not a chair hog at all.

We do the same

As many have said a chair hog gets up at dawn to reserve the best seats and hardly uses it. GRRRR

Old June 15th, 2012, 07:18 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz9yvr View Post
As long as you are in sight of your stuff on the chair, you'r not a chair hog in my book.
I agree, but it would be nice if some areas had a little shelf for people who don't need a chair at all. There have been times when I just want to go by the pool for 30 minutes to swim or cool off in the pool and all I had with me was a Tshirt, towel and shoes. The shoes I don't mind leaving on the deck, but a shirt and towel doesn't do well most places, though I have found places I could set a folded towel and shirt on top of my shoes out of the way, but you can't guarantee someone won't soak them.

2nd cruise - 5/11/07 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas.
3rd cruise - 4/27/08 Freedom of the Seas -Western Caribbean. Freedom's 100th cruise!
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise

7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route

9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
56 great night's sleep
3 for 3 at making CoCo Cay

95% diamond -

Old June 15th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillOh View Post
I agree, but it would be nice if some areas had a little shelf for people who don't need a chair at all. There have been times when I just want to go by the pool for 30 minutes to swim or cool off in the pool and all I had with me was a Tshirt, towel and shoes. The shoes I don't mind leaving on the deck, but a shirt and towel doesn't do well most places, though I have found places I could set a folded towel and shirt on top of my shoes out of the way, but you can't guarantee someone won't soak them.
Sadly (LOL!), you're lightyears away from qualifying as a chair hog and if you're ever to make the grade, you will simply have to work much harder. You must be poolside by 6am to claim eight lounges for your party of five, stake your claim with an assortment of empty shopping bags, torn magazines, empty bottles of suntan lotion, broken sunglasses, single flip-flops, a half-eaten rotting apple and the remains of a never-read paperback book (sans cover) which has been torn into eight random pieces. Most importantly, not one person in your party must ever return to the pool deck any time before 3:15pm! Good luck.

Old June 15th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Chair Hogs

I feel if you leave your items on the chair and go to get lunch you should not be required to give the chair up if you are at the Windjammer a short time. If you are far away from the pool say on the second deck it may not make a difference.

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

You are nowhere near a chair hog!!

I've been on cruises where people do what others have described. You know, crack of dawn, books, empty bottles on a 6 chairs that will never be used at once.
And through out the day there's always that 1 person who's always there making sure no one "steals" one of their empty chairs.

It's so frustrating that I've decided on my upcoming cruise (july 5th), I'm just going to plop my bum down on one of their precious chairs. Go ahead, I dare them to do something

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:49 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing fan View Post
I feel if you leave your items on the chair and go to get lunch you should not be required to give the chair up if you are at the Windjammer a short time. If you are far away from the pool say on the second deck it may not make a difference.
If you leave the pool area--even for lunch you should remove your items. Items on the second deck are not usually an issue--unless you are under one of the prized overhangs/tables. (We do not usually go for those. But, there are a few prized locations on the second deck, too.)

Previous Cruises:Carnival Ecstasy– July 2000: Mexico; Carnival Fantasy– August 2006: Bahamas; Carnival Pride –October 2009: Bahamas; Celebrity Constellation–March 2010: Panama Canal; Enchantment of the Seas–June 2010: Eastern Caribbean, September 2010: New England and Canada, March 2012: Southern Caribbean; Celebrity Mercury–November 2010 Eastern Caribbean and January 2011 Bahamas and Florida; Carnival Legend –April 2011: Western Caribbean; Radiance of the Seas--Alaska; August 2012, Explorer of the Seas--Bermuda: October 2012; Legend of the Seas –Transatlantic, October 2013; Grandeur of the Seas –June 2005: Bermuda, April 2013: Caribbean reposition cruise; March 2014: Western Caribbean.

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Europeans

People from Europe, especially Germany and England are bad at this. They will wake up at the crack of dawn, go to the pool, reserve a chair, and come back hours later. The Germans make fun of themselves all the time for this

Good Memories:
2013 Barcelona to Dubai - 15 night Repositioning
2012 Mariner of the Seas - 13 Night Holy Land
2011 Adventure of the Seas - 7 Night Western Mediterranean
2010 Serenade of the Seas - 7 Night Southern Caribbean
2008 Mariner of the Seas - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean;
2006 Majesty of the Seas - 4 Night Bahamas

Last edited by Heymarco; June 15th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysolqn View Post
You must be poolside by 6am to claim eight lounges for your party of five, stake your claim with an assortment of empty shopping bags, torn magazines, empty bottles of suntan lotion, broken sunglasses, single flip-flops, a half-eaten rotting apple and the remains of a never-read paperback book (sans cover) which has been torn into eight random pieces. Most importantly, not one person in your party must ever return to the pool deck any time before 3:15pm! Good luck.
You just gave all the new chair hogs tips on how to succeed at hogging!

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcove View Post
It's so frustrating that I've decided on my upcoming cruise (july 5th), I'm just going to plop my bum down on one of their precious chairs. Go ahead, I dare them to do something
If you can, try to move your chair to another row. That way when they come back and start counting chairs/rows, they'll be all confused.

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Two of us...Two Chairs! If we go into the Hot Tub or pool for 30 minutes or an hour (Never been more than 30 though) at a time, we don't expect anybody to take our chairs because we are using the pool facility. When I am in the hot tub or pool I keep a close eye out on our chairs! However when we decide to go get something to eat or go back to the cabin, we take everything with us and leave even if we plan on coming back!

Review Links:
My Freedom of the Seas Review of 10/13/13
Western Caribbean Cruise:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934831

My Serenade of the Seas Review of 10/10/10
Southern Caribbean Cruise:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297487

Up Next:
Enchantment - Bahamas & Adventure - (Southern) - Aruba Route

Previous Cruises:
Freedom - Western, Serenade (Southern)- Barbados Route & Sovereign - Bahamas

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

they have signs saying you cant leave stuff on chairs for longer than 30 minutes. Just grab peoples stuff and turn it in as lost items.

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

You are not what I consider a chair hog, not al all.

We were on the Allure two weeks ago, I went down early to get a chair by the pool under an umbrella. There were none, but there were 8 chairs taking over 3 umbrellas with no one around. I waited 45 minutes and then went to a crew member re: chairs. They said wait 10 minutes. Well of course 1 person came down in those 10 minutes, but they cleared two chairs anyway. I went and sat down. If you could have seen the looks when the rest of her group arrived. You would think I had stolen one of their kids!!! I really don't get people.
Majesty of the Seas, 1998
Explorer of the Seas, 2001
Celebrity Horizon, 2004
Adventure of the Seas, 2006
Allure of the Seas, 2012
Allure of the Seas, 2013

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:56 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfTheSeas View Post
Items on the second deck are not usually an issue--unless you are under one of the prized overhangs/tables. (We do not usually go for those. But, there are a few prized locations on the second deck, too.)
You did say usually. On my Navigator cruise even the 2nd deck was full on Sea days with only a rare chair opening all day However on Allure there were a lot available on the 2nd deck away from the pool.

2nd cruise - 5/11/07 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas.
3rd cruise - 4/27/08 Freedom of the Seas -Western Caribbean. Freedom's 100th cruise!
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise

7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route

9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
56 great night's sleep
3 for 3 at making CoCo Cay

95% diamond -