Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ship excursion to Machu Picchu

DH and I are taking the SAmerica cruise from Santiago to San Francisco in Feb 2013 and are trying to decide whether to spring for the ship's excursion to Machu Picchu (cost $2000 pp). So, I am wondering if anyone here has taken the same excursion and what you thought of it.
Thanks!

P.S. I have searched this board and Ports of Call (and also checked our roll call), but have not found any feedback from someone who actually did this or is planning it.

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM
20,000+ Club

We were on that cruise this past March, but we had visited Machu Picchu on a five day tour with three others before the cruise.

There was a group who did take this trip from Princess when we docked at the port for Lima. One hitch was that the port was fogged in, so the ship docked six hours later than scheduled and they spent the night in Lima and did not start the journey to Machu Picchu until the next day. Even with the shortened time on the trip, they greatly enjoyed the excursion.

Last edited by caribill; June 19th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:14 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribill View Post
We were on that cruise this past March, but we had visited Machu Picchu on a five day tour with three others before the cruise.

There was a group who did take this trip from Princess when we docked at the port for Lima. One hitch was that the port was fogged in, so the ship docked six hours later than scheduled and they spent the night in Lima and did not start the journey to Machu Picchu until the next day. Even with the shortened time on the trip, they greatly enjoyed the excursion.
Several people on our Star cruise in March from Santiago to SF took a pre-cruise trip to Machu Picchu and loved it. Had a great experience. They went with Adios Adventure Travel (http://www.adiosadventuretravel.com/) If I were to do it, I'd do it pre-cruise. We used them for a pre-cruise to Galapagos that while really interesting, wasn't as good but that's because it was sub-contracted out. The owner of Adios Adventure Travel, Jacquie Whitt (an American) has since changed vendors. Those who took the Macchu Pichu trip were guided by Jacquie's partner so it was top quality. You're dealing with an American who is organized and very thorough. I booked all my flights through American using miles which took me to Ecuador, and then on to Santiago. Feel free to contact her for a quote: jacquie@adiosadventuretravel.com

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Last edited by Pam in CA; June 19th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam in CA View Post
Several people on our Star cruise in March from Santiago to SF took a pre-cruise trip to Machu Picchu and loved it. Had a great experience.
Besides the group Pam is mentioning, Princess also had a pre-cruise trip to Machu Picchu. Those people also enjoyed their trip. (This was in addition to the excursion that Princess had mid-cruise.)

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info, Caribill and Pam.