Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Question about Internet access on the Diamond Princess

I've done some searching for the answer to my questions but I'm still looking ...

We will be on the Diamond Princess in Alaska this July. I will need to purchase Internet access and I am looking at purchasing the $60 package for 120 minutes (100 plus bonus of 20 minutes). Two questions:
  1. Do I have to purchase this in advance to get the 20 minute bonus, or can I just purchase it when I arrive on board. My preference is the latter, but I don't want to lose out on the bonus. A Princess CSR mentioned that I might be able to get an even better "deal" if I wait as there are often sales on embarkation day.
  2. Does the time have to be used on one device, or can we switch it around between three devices (as long as only one is using it at a time)?
If anyone has any first-hand insights or information, I'd appreciate it greatly!

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm currently on the diamond princess in Alaska, and on the princess patter,
They have listed an embarkation Internet special..where if u purchase an Internet time plan you get up to 40 minutes free.

So I think it is better for you to wait to get onboard before buying your Internet minutes.

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:36 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcrazy View Post
I've done some searching for the answer to my questions but I'm still looking ...

We will be on the Diamond Princess in Alaska this July. I will need to purchase Internet access and I am looking at purchasing the $60 package for 120 minutes (100 plus bonus of 20 minutes). Two questions:

Do I have to purchase this in advance to get the 20 minute bonus, or can I just purchase it when I arrive on board. My preference is the latter, but I don't want to lose out on the bonus. A Princess CSR mentioned that I might be able to get an even better "deal" if I wait as there are often sales on embarkation day. If you purchase onboard the first day there will be bonus minutes, but they will be half the number of bonus minutes (10 in your case) than if you pre-purchase.

Does the time have to be used on one device, or can we switch it around between three devices (as long as only one is using it at a time)?
If anyone has any first-hand insights or information, I'd appreciate it greatly! The time can be shared on multiple devices, even using it on the ship's Internet Cafe computers if you wish. As you indicated, one device at a time using the same package.

Please note that Internet service is relatively slow (think dial up speeds) and decide if 100 minutes + the bonus will be enough for the length of your cruise.

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Purchase your internet time on board.

You can use different devices. I used an ipad in my cabin and also used the internet cafe. The computers in the internet cafe were faster than the ipad in my cabin.
The time starts ticking once you log on. Don't forget to log off properly, otherwise you'll find yourself with no credit left.

Follow the instructions, it's pretty easy, but there is always someone to help in the internet cafe if you have any trouble.
Use your time wisely as it is expensive.

Have fun aboard the Diamond - she is a beautiful ship.

P&O - Pacific Sun - 2007 (South Pacific)
P&O Pacific Dawn, 2008, 2009 (2 cruises - South Pacific)
Diamond Princess, 2011 (Singapore to Sydney)
Crown Princess 2012 (Venice to Rome)
Carnival Spirit 2013 (South Pacific)
Radiance of the Seas 2014 (4nights - Hobart to Sydney)
Coral Princess 2014 (Panama Canal)
Carnival Miracle 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Spirit 2014 (South Pacific)

Between the ages of 9 and 23 I travelled the world on various cruise ships - a total of 13 cruises. (Dad wouldn't fly!). What a wonderful legacy he left me. A taste for world travel and the cruise bug.

Have done lots of travel since the age of 23 but on planes. Took up cruising again in 2007 - was ready for it - older, wiser and needed the relaxing experience that only comes with cruising.

Old June 21st, 2012, 07:02 AM
40,000+ Club

If you purchase the $60 package the first day onboard, you will get 10 bonus minutes, so you are better off purchasing it in advance and getting 20 bonus minutes.

You can use the minutes on multiple devices, just not at one time.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone! I'll purchase in advance then. I think I might even purchase the $80 package then since it gives 190 minutes ... might need it if Internet is slow!

Old June 21st, 2012, 09:29 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcrazy View Post
Thanks everyone! I'll purchase in advance then. I think I might even purchase the $80 package then since it gives 190 minutes ... might need it if Internet is slow!
No "IF" about it, the internet is slow.

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

So exactly how do you log off to make sure your time is not still running? In other words you can't just turn off your computer? Seems strange. 10 days till all aboard on the Golden!

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:38 AM
40,000+ Club

The system will tell you when you sign on. You can type 1.1.1.1 in the line for the URL. Or Logout.com

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
So exactly how do you log off to make sure your time is not still running? In other words you can't just turn off your computer? Seems strange. 10 days till all aboard on the Golden!
There are multiple ways.

1) Type logout.com (and enter) in the URL window.

or

2) Type 1.1.1.1 (and enter) in the URL window.

or

3) Sometimes you'll get a pop-up window with a button to log out. Hit that when you're done.

Ocean Princess - Singapore to Dover around Africa - 2014; Dawn Princess - Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand - 2013
Sapphire Princess - Los Angeles, Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Los Angeles - 2012; Golden Princess - RT from Seattle to Alaska - 2012
Diamond Princess - Singapore to YVR 2012; Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2010-2011
Coral Princess - FLL - YVR plus Alaska RT 2010; Star Princess - South America and Antarctica 2009
Costa Classica - Genoa to Venice 2008; Costa Fortuna - Caribbean 2008
Costa Atlantica - Eastern Med 2006; Norwegian Dream - Baltic 2004
Norwegian Dream - Miami to Rome 2003; Norwegian Wind - HNL to YVR 2002
Norwegian Wind - Caribbean 2001; Celebrity Zenith - Caribbean 1996
Norwegian Windward (now the Wind) - So Cal Coastal 1993; Carnival Jubilee - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Festivale - Eastern Caribbean 1988

Old June 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
You can't just turn off your computer since you'll still be logged into your account and using minutes. That's why you need to logout manually.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old July 14th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Princess Internet Access

All I can advise you is that I am a retired IT Controller for major International Banks, so I think I know what I am talking about.

The Princess Lines Internet Access is a complete rip off $60 will just about get you a email after a very long time.

I have discused this with them and their reply that ship Internet is very slow. No it is not, it is the bandwidth allocated to that area.

If you like to check it out, go to cruise deals onboard and it is very very fast therefore that defeates their excuse.

This applies to all of the Princess ships. it is geared to obtain the maximum amount of money from you.

Old July 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParGolfer View Post
All I can advise you is that I am a retired IT Controller for major International Banks, so I think I know what I am talking about.

The Princess Lines Internet Access is a complete rip off $60 will just about get you a email after a very long time.

I have discused this with them and their reply that ship Internet is very slow. No it is not, it is the bandwidth allocated to that area.

If you like to check it out, go to cruise deals onboard and it is very very fast therefore that defeates their excuse.

This applies to all of the Princess ships. it is geared to obtain the maximum amount of money from you.
Like everything else on the ship, Princess is trying to make a profit on internet access. We each have a choice to purchase it or not.

Old July 14th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

You pulled up a year old thread just to state this?

Old July 14th, 2013, 01:11 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:

Hmm... not to take issue with you as you're such an expert but most savvy people download their email, sign off, write and respond to email off-line, re-sign-on and send. At most, using an aggregate of 4-5 minutes of online time only. I do this all the time.

You are right about the bandwidth. However, increasing bandwidth would be exponentially expensive. Plus, (as I'm sure you're aware but didn't mention) the way people use the bandwidth is far more important. If passengers are uploading/downloading photos or images, to using Skype of FaceTime, these are bandwidth hogs. All it takes is a couple of people to ruin connection and speed for everyone else.

IMHO, Princess should block the bandwidth hogs which would greatly improve service for everyone. That said, I've found that early in the morning before 8am and during dinner are the best times to log on. And, don't forget to download your email, respond offline, and send. You'll be a much happier camper.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969

Upcoming:

Old July 14th, 2013, 01:20 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam in CA View Post

You are right about the bandwidth. However, increasing bandwidth would be exponentially expensive. Plus, (as I'm sure you're aware but didn't mention) the way people use the bandwidth is far more important. If passengers are uploading/downloading photos or images, to using Skype of FaceTime, these are bandwidth hogs. All it takes is a couple of people to ruin connection and speed for everyone else.
Princess can provide it cheaper, just chooses not to. They are making a lot of money off of the internet.

Some RCCL ships are offering unlimited internet for $99/week.

Last edited by Coral; July 14th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Old July 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Princess can provide it cheaper, just chooses not to. They are making a lot of money off of the internet.

Isn't RCI using a new satelite technology that is only available in the Caribbean? Princess has no ships there full time.

Old July 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:

Of course they can. But there are ways to lessen the pain of current pricing.

I believe the RCCL Internet plans are just on certain ships on certain itineraries in the Caribbean. I read somewhere that they were going with a company with new technology that is launching (or have launched) satellites. It'll be interesting to see if this technology rolls out to other cruise lines other than in a limited region.

Boston. Strong.

Upcoming:

Last edited by Pam in CA; July 14th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Old July 14th, 2013, 02:11 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
Isn't RCI using a new satelite technology that is only available in the Caribbean? Princess has no ships there full time.
Carnival has also experimented with unlimited internet.

When Princess first introduced internet, it was .35/minute. The cost has now doubled and I have no doubt Princess is paying less then what they did when they first started offering it. It is definitely a money maker for Princess. For what they are making on internet, they can easily buy more bandwidth if they want. They are just choosing not to.

I am sure it is a matter of time before RCCL (and their vendor) expands the program to other areas and other ships.

--

If you look at this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruise...ships/1713927/ Europe and Alaska are also on the block for having faster internet for cruise ships.

Last edited by Coral; July 14th, 2013 at 02:15 PM.

Old July 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Carnival has also experimented with unlimited internet.

When Princess first introduced internet, it was .35/minute. The cost has now doubled and I have no doubt Princess is paying less then what they did when they first started offering it. It is definitely a money maker for Princess. For what they are making on internet, they can easily buy more bandwidth if they want. They are just choosing not to.

I am sure it is a matter of time before RCCL (and their vendor) expands the program to other areas and other ships.

--

If you look at this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruise...ships/1713927/ Europe and Alaska are also on the block for having faster internet for cruise ships.
Keep in mind that Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members get an internet credit that for many covers their usage for the cruise. On some cruises this can be 80% of the passengers.