Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Disembarkation in Seattle (Norwegian Pearl)

My brain only just now processed the fine print on our Alaska cruise itinerary: "Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking."

So, if the docking time for Seattle is shown at 8:00 a.m., does that mean that no one is getting off the ship before 10:00 a.m.?

Will that be enough time for us to disembark and catch a train that is leaving at 11:25 a.m.? (Keeping in mind that Amtrak says to be there 30 minutes early, then allowing ten minutes to get a cab and get to the station... so, off the ship before 10:45 a.m.?)

I'm used to Carnival where the new passengers are already on board with drinks in their hands by 11, lol. This is our first Norwegian cruise, so I don't know how easy (or not) it is to disembark. Thanks!

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were one of the last ones off and that was @ 9:20. I think you actually dock a few hours earlier and they start disembarkation around 8.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
My brain only just now processed the fine print on our Alaska cruise itinerary: "Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking."

So, if the docking time for Seattle is shown at 8:00 a.m., does that mean that no one is getting off the ship before 10:00 a.m.?

Will that be enough time for us to disembark and catch a train that is leaving at 11:25 a.m.? (Keeping in mind that Amtrak says to be there 30 minutes early, then allowing ten minutes to get a cab and get to the station... so, off the ship before 10:45 a.m.?)

I'm used to Carnival where the new passengers are already on board with drinks in their hands by 11, lol. This is our first Norwegian cruise, so I don't know how easy (or not) it is to disembark. Thanks!
Usually The Pearl docks somewhere around 6:15 A.M.-6:30 A.M. You should be able to leave the ship about 8 A.M. If the traffic is not bad, The King Street Station (Amtrak) is bout 10 minutes south by cab.
You really should be on the back deck of The Pearl as She glides down Elliott Bay and makes a sweeping turn to dock. If it is a clear day, Mount Rainier to the the south could look like a giant strawberry ice cream cone with the sun coming up behind Her.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you both for the reassurances and for the scenic tips. I'm about to arrange to rent a better telephoto lens than the one I have (both in quality and in reach) for the cruise, so it's exciting to have another shooting opportunity to keep in mind.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We were on the Jewel a few weeks ago. We were in no hurry to get off and were still off and at the airport by about 9:45. Easiest exit we've ever done.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

NCL, has the most convenient dock. You "should" barring a rare event, easily make this train schedule.

To give yourself an added edge, consider self disembarking, and just getting a cab. But even if you aren't off the ship until late, you aren't even 15 miniutes away from the Amtrak station.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old June 24th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We always wait until the last group to disembark because we live in Seattle. We're usually off the ship before 10am anyway, so if you're wanting to be off earlier, it should be no problem. Barring a random immigration check or anything like that.
NCL Star - September 3, 2011
NCL Star - September 4, 2010
NCL Pearl - September 13, 2009
NCL Star - June 18, 2006
NCL Spirit - September 10, 2005
NCL Star - June 6, 2004
NCL Sky - September 6, 2003

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

We disembarked from the Pearl June 10th. We chose the 9:00 am color tag, but our color was called approximately 8:35. We still didn't even begin disembarking until 9:15. Even with walking across the street to retrieve our vehicles, loading all the luggage and power chair into the van, etc. We were on the road by 10:00 or so.

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post

We were on the Jewel last week and did the easy walk off. We were actually off by 7:30

My Cruise Consultant warned me that my flight was too early and wouldnt sell me a bus transfer. So I bought one from the guy standing at the pier. If it wasnt for all the detours in Seattle, we wouldve been to the airport a half hour earlier than we were. It didnt matter, we still sat around at the airport for a hour because I was so far ahead of schedule. (My flight was at 11)

Some schmo on the bus kept yelling at the bus driver about how he was going to miss his flight. I thought 2 things. A. He was a jerk, as it wasnt the bus drivers fault there were detours. B. He was a jerk for scheduling his flight wayyy too early. And here I am worried about an 11 am flight...

Anyway, I think they say 2 hours because thats a safe assumption about what you might get if there was a customs delay and you had to collect your luggage.

On my next cruise I plan on taking that 2 hours into account so I dont finish my vacation off with worries.

Sailed!

RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2005
-Bermuda
NCL Jade 7/2010 - Western Med. Italy,Spain, Monaco
NCL Sky 4/2011 - Bahamas
NCL Pride of America 9/2011 - Hawaii
NCL Jewel 6/2012 - Alaska
NCL Star 6/2013 - Baltic Capitals
NCL Dawn 4/2014 - Western Caribbean

Upcoming!

RCCL Explorer 6/2015 - Canary Islands & North Africa

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Old June 26th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra2172 View Post
We were on the Jewel last week and did the easy walk off. We were actually off by 7:30

My Cruise Consultant warned me that my flight was too early and wouldnt sell me a bus transfer. So I bought one from the guy standing at the pier. If it wasnt for all the detours in Seattle, we wouldve been to the airport a half hour earlier than we were. It didnt matter, we still sat around at the airport for a hour because I was so far ahead of schedule. (My flight was at 11)

Some schmo on the bus kept yelling at the bus driver about how he was going to miss his flight. I thought 2 things. A. He was a jerk, as it wasnt the bus drivers fault there were detours. B. He was a jerk for scheduling his flight wayyy too early. And here I am worried about an 11 am flight...

Anyway, I think they say 2 hours because thats a safe assumption about what you might get if there was a customs delay and you had to collect your luggage.

On my next cruise I plan on taking that 2 hours into account so I dont finish my vacation off with worries.
A quick option direct to the airport is using the light rail. Easy if you don't have any mobility limitations and 1 rolling bag. There is an elevator a block from NCL's dock, and a short walk to West Lake station, up Pine, which is up hill.

But taking the light rail is cheap, quick and direct.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old June 26th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

We just got off the Pearl on 6/24, and it was super quick. We selected the 10am luggage tags, but were called at 9:05am to disembark. Even with the crowd we were through customs and in our car by 9:30am.

10/2012 - NCL Star to Bermuda - 7 day
6/2012 - NCL Pearl to Alaska - 7day
10/2011 - NCL Star to Belize, Roatan & Costa Maya - 7 day
10/2010 - Radiance of the Seas to Cozumel & Costa Maya - 5 day
10/2009 - DCL Magic to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel & Castaway Cay - 7 day
4/2008 - DCL Magic to St Thomas, St Maarten & Castaway Cay - 7 day
9/2007 - DCL Magic to St Thomas, St Maarten & Castaway Cay - 7 day
9/2006 - DCL Magic to St Thomas, St Maarten & Castaway Cay - 7 day
10/1999 - DCL Wonder to Nassau & Castaway Cay - 4 day
6/1999 - DCL Magic to Nassau & Castaway Cay - 3 day
4/1999 - DCL Magic to Nassau & Castaway Cay - 3 day