Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > What Ever Happened To........???

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

What Ever Happened To........??? A place to discuss the glorious past of cruising...the ships, the people, the cruise lines, the ports that bring back those wonderful memories.

Old July 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

My first cruise as an adult was on the Oceanic. Fell in love with my waiter, Carmine Cozzolino. Kept in touch for a few years.

I've sailed on the Atlantic too. MargieNJ, I think I know Dino the cabin steward......took me to Forty Thieves for dancing too. Not too tall....curly hair? What the heck was his last name? It will unlock out of this 40+ year old brain of mine sometime. Something Italian that started with an 'M' I believe. I can't believe I don't remember it, as I would go into New York to visit him every few weeks.

Anyway, I loved my first cruise experience so much that I came home and quit my job and became a travel agent. Took many cruises.....at a nice reduced rate too. I eventually quit that job to go work on a ship. Had already met my husband by that time and my heart couldn't take the separation, so I came back and we got married. I have turned him on to cruising and my kids love it as well.

Gosh, can't believe how many people can remember the names of entertainers, engineers, etc.

We were just on the Crown Princess (the sailing involving the infamous tilt) and our tablemates had sailed the Oceanic. We spent time reminiscing about the ship. Recalled the reserved deck chairs and the individual deck steward we were assigned....I believe mine on the first cruise was Pino. All meals in the dining room. Dressy for dinner every night. Midnight buffets. Oh....those were the days.

I'm so glad I discovered this thread. Used to read cruise critic years ago and then not sure what happened but I stopped. Forgot it even existed. So glad I rediscovered it this week. Thanks to all for stirring up some of the memories.

Old July 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroozinFamily
I think I know Dino the cabin steward......took me to Forty Thieves for dancing too. Not too tall....curly hair? What the heck was his last name? It will unlock out of this 40+ year old brain of mine sometime. Something Italian that started with an 'M' I believe.
I REMEMBERED! It was Dino Vecchio! That was the name of the cabin steward. Whew! I just KNEW it was in the brain somewhere!

Old July 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Memories of the Oceanic

I was lurking around the boards when I found this thread. The Oceanic was my first cruise in the summer of 1971. It was the first vacation I paid for myself and I was 20 years old. I sailed with a group of 8 and was the youngest in the group. It was actually the first cruise that any of us took. We went to Nassau where it seemed like we were berthed for a couple of days. Although a few in the group have passed on all of us became avid cruise lovers as a result of this first experience.

I remember sailing out of NYC and the bon voyage party we had in the cabins. My parents and boyfriend were onboard and joked about stowing away so they could also go. I loved the concept of reserved deck chairs and a designated deck steward. We didn't have to worry about chair hogs. I was introduced to pina coladas, chi-chis and imperials on that trip and at a buck a drink, I had plenty.

I enjoyed dressing for dinner every night. Although it isn't a requirement anymore, I still dress for dinner most nights when I am cruising. It's not as fancy as when I was on the Oceanic (and later the Atlantic to Bermuda in 1985) but it's certainly not too casual.

The food was outstanding. We had late seating and the waiters always offered samples of all the appetizers and entrees on the menus. I loved the serivce and have seen nothing close to it on any other line I've sailed. The menus were works of art.

Since it was my first cruise, I did not want to seem cheap, so I saved all my quarters and half dollars for weeks to give as tips. I didn't know you filled envelopes with bills on the last night !!!

Although I don't remember the names of the waiters or stewards and didn't date any (although I did flirt a lot) I only have fond memories of the ships. It seems to be that the original Disney Big Red Boat was one of Home Lines' ships. I remember a feeling of deja vu when I sailed her with my children.

Grandeur of the Seas 10/09
Crown Princess 8/2006
Carnival Miracle 7/2005
Carnival Legend 7/2004
Carnival Glory 8/2003
Fascination 8/2002
Majesty of the Seas 2/2001
Disney's Big Red Boat 7/1990
Sovereign of the Seas 7/1987
The Atlantic 8/1985
Oceanic 8/1971

Old July 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Phillyfilly........was wondering if you could tell me how to do the glittermaker thing? I went and made my name, but i can't figure out how to get it into a post. I go to those url's and copy and paste....but it doesn't show up.

I see you are going on the Crown Princess soon......beautiful ship!! We loved her. It was our first Princess sailing.......will definitely sail them again. Even would sail the Crown again........despite the problems we experienced with the list.

Old August 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Home Lines - Remarkable

Happened, by pure blind luck, to chance upon this thread. Who would have guessed so many people remembered Home Lines?

I sailed on a Home Lines ship (HOMERIC and OCEANIC) every year 1958-1968 and one again in 1975 - always on the longer NY to Caribbean winter cruises, 14-16 days. Years later, I took my kids on the re-flagged Big Red Boat (OCEANIC).

There was nothing like the high-class sailings on Home Lines ships. Service, Food, Entertainment was number one. My dad spoke Italian so we got really special attention.

In 1972, on my Honeymoon in Nassau, Oceanic made a port call and we were invited aboard for a 2nd day anniversary dinner by several of the senior dining room staff. What a group!

Old August 31st, 2006, 06:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroozinFamily
I REMEMBERED! It was Dino Vecchio! That was the name of the cabin steward. Whew! I just KNEW it was in the brain somewhere!
OMG I can't believe it. That's him. I wanted to marry Dino Vecchio. I have pictures of him still to this day. Dare I say he was my "first". That coming from a now 50 year old "Lady". But boy could he dance. And what a charmer. This is just too funny. I thought I was special

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH PHOTOS 3/06:
http://flickr.com/photos/margienj/se...7600642351926/

CARNIVAL LIBERTY PHOTOS 3/07:
http://flickr.com/photos/margienj/se...7600642353084/

CARNIVAL FREEDOM PHOTOS 3//08:
http://travel.webshots.com/album/562987471uXbqRu

Carnival Liberty 4/13 - Carnival Pride 4/12 -Carnival Pride 3/11 -Carnival Dream - 2/10 Carnival Miracle 3/09 - Carnival Freedom 3/08 - Carnival Liberty 3/07 - Carnival Triumph 3/06 - Carnival Legend 3/05 - Carnival Victory 3/04 - RCCL Song of Norway 11/82 - Carnival Mardis Gras 10/81 - Home Lines Doric 12/79 - Home Lines Doric 10/78

Old September 12th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Am I tripping here or what!!!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Fabrizio Azzolini and I worked for Homes Lines Cruises from 1984 til the bitter end in 1988. I started out as a deck steward on the Atlantic. It was my first cruise and I was a wide eyed 20 year old kid. I had the upperdeck, it only had about 50 total deck chairs and I had to climb those stairs back and forth getting drinks for passengers. I later moved down to the "big area" by the pool. I raced up the ranks and ended up being a third purser. I loved being an officer. I served on both the Atlantic and the Homeric. I was on the Homeric until the day we handed her over to HAL. I am still in touch with some of the old crew members. One of them is a very close friend and he lives here in NJ. If you read the first few posts about Dominic Furfaro, it is his brother Giuseppe Furfaro, we were both in the purser's office, but he was a crew purser. He is a fountain of knowledge about the crew and the names. So ask away and I will get whatever information you need.

I have been coming to these boards for a long time. In fact I was even a moderator on the Princess Boards for a while. I have seen only a few posts here about Home Lines. I am so happy I found this. I hope we can keep the discussion going. I talk to many cruise travel agents who have never heard of Home Lines and it is sad.

I hope you all write soon

Dawn Princess - 10/97
Grand Princess - 07/99
Pacific Princess - 06/00
Sun Princess - 10/00
Grand Princess - 8/01
Grand Princess - 11/03
Zenith (Celebrity) - 07/05
Star Princess - 11/06 - Coming Soon

Old September 12th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, Fab.........I would sure like to know if your friend knows what happened to Dino Vecchio. MargieNJ....how about you? Aren't you curious too? He was a cabin steward. My last Home Lines cruise was probably in 1982 or so. Not sure if he was still sailing by the time you joined.

Also curious about Carmine Cozzolino. A waiter from the dining room. Last I knew he was married, had at least one child and was living in Brooklyn I believe. Not sure what he was doing for work.

Thanks for any info you can find out.

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Fabrizio...my name is Margie and I was a very close friend to a sailor by the name of Michele Minutillo from Molfetta, Bari. We have remained friends over the years, I just spoke to him 2 weeks ago. I am also in touch with
Antonio Marullo (crew waiter) who is married to one of my very good friends and lives in Conneticut.

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
Hello Everyone,

My name is Fabrizio Azzolini and I worked for Homes Lines Cruises from 1984 til the bitter end in 1988. I started out as a deck steward on the Atlantic. It was my first cruise and I was a wide eyed 20 year old kid. I had the upperdeck, it only had about 50 total deck chairs and I had to climb those stairs back and forth getting drinks for passengers. I later moved down to the "big area" by the pool. I raced up the ranks and ended up being a third purser. I loved being an officer. I served on both the Atlantic and the Homeric. I was on the Homeric until the day we handed her over to HAL. I am still in touch with some of the old crew members. One of them is a very close friend and he lives here in NJ. If you read the first few posts about Dominic Furfaro, it is his brother Giuseppe Furfaro, we were both in the purser's office, but he was a crew purser. He is a fountain of knowledge about the crew and the names. So ask away and I will get whatever information you need.

I have been coming to these boards for a long time. In fact I was even a moderator on the Princess Boards for a while. I have seen only a few posts here about Home Lines. I am so happy I found this. I hope we can keep the discussion going. I talk to many cruise travel agents who have never heard of Home Lines and it is sad.

I hope you all write soon

Fabrizio ,

come stai ? ti ho beccato anche qui, Furfaro mi ha dato il link
di questo forum , anche io cercavo qualcosa di questo genere
ma non ero mai riuscito a trovare niente,,,che tempi erano quelli
che ricordi belli.....ma le riunioni della Homelines li fanno ancora ?

ti saluto Boccuzzi....

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi all

i use to work with homelines from 1981 to 1989 , i was on the
Atlantic for last cruise to the drydock , was my last time on
board after many years.
To many memories and good times , i use to work mainly on
the Atlantic , but i also worked on the Oceanic and Doric .
I would love to get in touch with all the passengers and crew
members to share the memory and who knows maybe we can
find out that we know each other..
Uf you like to get in touch you can email me at
bergomi1998@yahoo.com

ciao a tutti

Old October 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

BrooklynGirl2... I didn't know the Doric sank. I was on it in 1981 which was my first cruise. What a shame. I have an album of pictures that I took during that cruise.

By the way, I grew up in Brooklyn (Flatbush) many years ago.

Grand Princess--1/13/07
Celebrity Millennium 11/28/04

Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:13 AM
5,000+ Club

Hi,

My first cruise was on Oceanic. We had a great time and have been cruising ever since. I don't remember too many of the crew. But I do remember how nice every one was. The food was great. I brought so many of the cruise pictures. The photographer (a short man) was all ways taking your picture and I had to buy them all. I do remember a band, I think the leader singer was Gino. I traveled with some friends of mine. I can remember that we would share a cab with some of the crew to go around town. I must say that was the best ship I was ever on.

Geo

Old November 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I sailed on the Atlantic with my family in August of 1987 I believe it was, to Bermuda. I'll never forget our waiter, Giovanni DiNiro! I remember going out dancing with him in Hamilton at the club there, and going to Horseshoe Bay one day....to this day I love the cologne "Armani"--that's what he wore!!! I was only 18 at the time!!!

Old December 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

how funny that you mention the cologne. I was 20 and travelling with my mother. I remember my waiter wearing a "gallon" of cologne and my mother embarassing me when she told him that I thought he smelled wonderful. It was Brut and at that time a lot of the crew seemed to use it. He was also much more attentive to me after that. I always found those Italians to be very flirty and I felt bad for some of the young girls who seemed infatuated with them. I would do back to back cruises with 1 cruise with sis and then she would leave and mom would join me. I remember going to the discos with our waiters and the single girls at our table and 1 of them fell in love with our waiter. She was from Massachusetts and trying to figure how she could visit the ship and see him in port. She even asked me to keep an eye on him on the next cruise. I didn't have the heart to tell her that he met another girl at the pier as soon as the passengers disembarked and they left together in a cab. I was waiting for my mother to join me and saw everything. Then on the next cruise he tried to hit on me and I told him to get lost. He had pledged his love to the lovesick girl at my table. I do miss those Italians though. It was nice having someone to go ashore with and dance. I did meet a ship's electrician, Saverio Masseria at a disco and then found out he worked on the ship I was cruising on and we would meet on the deck each night to talk. He would even meet me on future cruises because he saw my name on the passenger list. Alas we never kept in touch when Home Lines was sold and it was hard because his english was not very good.

Last edited by Princessgal; December 1st, 2006 at 12:59 PM.

Old December 9th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile frankie bride

I just seen the thread on the Home lines, and i sail on my frist cruise on the Italia.in 1962. it was built in the 1930..after that i sail on the homeric.in 1963 for 13 days..... after that back on the Italiia.. the next on the brand new Oceanic . i think that was 1965 . from then on,, i sail on it about12 times. That was the first ship that had a sliding roof over the pool.. they had there own song called [ O OCEANIC SHIP] it was a beautiful lady of the sea.. when they said formal night ,, it was formal. and each guess was formally intro duce to the capt. they said capt. may I present mr and mrs jones.. the cruise drirector was Mr. DAWSON. and they would take a formal picture of you and wife with the capt. there was 2 formal and 3 semi formal and ment jacket and tie. all eveing , not just dinner. but that was what we wanted . then i got into an accident had to move fl. from n. y. since i have been on about 40 more cruises ..but cruise have change since then. i miss the way it was ... but still love cruising.. i will always have fond memories ot the HOME LINES. any ques. it will be my pleasure to ans. frankie bride

Old January 5th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cruise on Doric 1979 - I also know Dino Vecchio!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margienj
OMG I can't believe it. That's him. I wanted to marry Dino Vecchio. I have pictures of him still to this day. Dare I say he was my "first". That coming from a now 50 year old "Lady". But boy could he dance. And what a charmer. This is just too funny. I thought I was special
Hey there
I couldn't believe when I saw your posting! WOW.... check this out:

Well, Feb 1979 I was on the Doric. Dino was a cabin steward at that time also. He must have been a charmer.... because I too, hung out with him. I was only 17 at that time... and yes, he could dance. We went to the disco in Puerto Rico (Leonardo Divinci's). VERY FUN! I thought I was special too... Just too young to understand I guess. I also have pictures. Oh, and I have a daughter from Feb 1979 cruise ! Just wondering if anyone else may have a son or daughter by Mr. Charmer also. CRAZY ISN'T IT?

Old January 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Do you remember Dino Vecchio on the Doric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmember1
Hi all

i use to work with homelines from 1981 to 1989 , i was on the
Atlantic for last cruise to the drydock , was my last time on
board after many years.
To many memories and good times , i use to work mainly on
the Atlantic , but i also worked on the Oceanic and Doric .
I would love to get in touch with all the passengers and crew
members to share the memory and who knows maybe we can
find out that we know each other..
Uf you like to get in touch you can email me at
bergomi1998@yahoo.com

ciao a tutti

Just wondering if you knew Dino Vecchio on the SS Doric. I was on the ship in 1979. Dino was a cabin steward. I believe he was originally from Sicily, Italy.

I would love to hear from you soon.

Old January 13th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile This is wonderful

I started the line a long time ago and forgot about it. I read it the other day and it is wonderful, brought back so many memories and people.

Yes I knew Luciana Trevisan (sp?) hostest on the ships and her brother who had an Italian restaurant on Long Island. I wonder home many Italian restautants in New York/New Jersey owe their start to Home Lines? There was one in Manhattan years ago that was using the menu covers as their own!

I knew Captain Ruffaini and Captain Marosa -- Ruffaini passed away a few years ago and Marosa I head retired under strange circumstances. Wonderful to hear his son is working for Costa -- I remember meeting them on the street in Hamilton, Bermuda in 1985 when they were cadets!

There was the gentleman Chief Purser of the Oceanic Mr. Sulligoi. He retired in the early 1980s but what a gentleman he was. In his spare time on the ships -- yes he found some time -- he built models including the first one I ever saw of the 1982 Atlantic.

I miss the Italian dining room and all the hubbub all day long. Nothing was simple or easy -- there was always a lot of motion and sometimes comotion. Everett the cruise director always joked on the tenders there was a half dozen Italian officers and crew always yelling at one and another while when we were in port with a Holland America ship there would be one Filipino doing everything on the tenders.

STEVEDAN if you are reading this get in touch with me because we sailed on the same trips. I was aboard a number of X-Mas/New Years on the Oceanic from New York in the late 1970s. Now that was fun. On New Years Luciana always wanted a dance for good luck and the line frowned on her dancing with passengers but since I was a young man I got to do it and no one complained -- the least of all me dancing with a beautiful Italian lady.

Anyone else remember the golf pro's that sailed the Oceanic in the winter? We knew both Harry Cooper and Jerry Lambo well - as well as their wives Emma Cooper and Sis Lambo.

I could go on and on and on with happy memories :-) :-) but I will stop but please more peoople keep posting to the line and then Home Lines lives!

Old January 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Home Lines

SS: Nice to hear someone who has as fond memories of the Oceanic X-Mas cruises as me. I don't want to give my name or address on a public bulletin board, so you can contact me on my email at stevedan@optonline.net.