Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old July 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy ks View Post
We do have an outlet store in Sawgrass Mills. I think Sunrise is close to Ft. Lauderdale??
Hi Kathy yes, Sawgrass Mills is actually west of Ft. Lauderdale.
It is a GIANT MALL. And Sunrise? It is sort of neigborhood of
Ft. Lauderdale too.
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Up Next, REFLECTION.....11/14

Old July 7th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

I have a 4 wheel spinner from SwissGear. I recently purchased
it from ROSS and used it for my cruise to the MED in May.....I LOVE
IT....I also got a new carry on spinner and omg...what a difference
those make when going up and down the aisle of the plane
My carry on is from a brand called Olympia and I LOVE IT too
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Up Next, REFLECTION.....11/14

Old July 7th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've been using my Brookstone "Dash" hard-sided spinner for a while and it's performing very well for me. It's carry-on sized.
Ecstasy (1), Triumph (2)

Old July 7th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have hard sided luggage - Heys spinners. Easy to move, lightweight and so far have held up well. I also like the bright colors because they stick out on a luggage belt.

We got them at costco for a great price.

Last edited by lovemylab; July 7th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Old July 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We do have an outlet store in Sawgrass Mills. I think Sunrise is close to Ft. Lauderdale??
We actually live in Davie off Flamingo which is right down the street from the Sawgrass. I think I bought my DH some soft sided Samsonite there about 12 years ago. Nice store, right outside Target but there may be other luggage stores there, I haven't walked the entire mall in years.

Old July 7th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I love luggage and really want to buy for each trip the "perfect" bag. The latest ones are a polycarbonate with zippered middle of the bag (2 halves) and 4 wheels of the little type. Good points: rolls great on concrete/sturdy carpet/holds alot and is light weight (7 lbs). Bad points: hard to open up to put something else in/ doesn't fit on luggage stand (hate them on bed BED BUGS transport system) and they do not do at all well on cobblestone, brick, sand or in transfering to dinghy for that yacht type cruise 24 inch sturdy rolling duffle bag. Good: Holds a large amount. Weights 6 pounds empty. Fairly easy to drag on 2 wheels. Crushes small for storage. Easy to pack Bad: those of dufflehood - - standing alone, material shows abrasions quickly, material not fully waterproof. Depending on the journey I pick the bag I need. If my daughter is picking me up at airport, I take two rolling tote bags because two suitcases will not fit in her trunk (and this is a huge problem in other countries with small cars and high cost of gasoline)

I also have a 29/30 inch polycarbonate that only went on one cruise. The suitcase was so big that it would hold over 80 pounds and it would not fit in the trunk of the taxi and I arrived at the QM2 with my suitcase sticking out the back tied in with a bungee chord! Guess I showed I was NOT in the Queen's grill. This suitcase now holds the Christmas wrappings. Storage -- the fate of most suitcases that have been retired to my luggage storeroom.

Seriously consider airline regulations, surfaces that the wheels will have to go over {must be able to drag as well as roll}, fit in small to medium sized cars (Think Europe or poor relatives with small cars) and storage for those unhappy times when you are home and the suitcase (or many suitcases) are taking up space.

I paint my suitcases with fabric paint including printing my email address on the outside by the handle (Sharpie or fabric paint). Big flowers make the suitcase observable. I usually try to find a suitcase of very moderate price since I really do like a new one really often. Expensive bags just seem to make the luggage apes go wild and show off their badness.

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Last edited by Bowie MeMe; July 7th, 2012 at 10:36 PM.

Old July 8th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

BowieMeMe brings up an important point. If you need to use transportation like a taxi, you may not be able to get that bag (or 2 of them of there are 2 of you) into your taxi! Especially in Europe, where the taxis are more along the lines of compact cars than the mid-size we have in the US. Trunks in European taxis that I've been in are horribly small. Someone always ends up having to squeeze into half a back seat because there was so much luggage stuffed into the back seat area!!!
Much of luggage selection boils down to your transportation options. Always plan for the smallest mode of transportation! That 29" hard sided is great if you're driving yourself to the cruise or if you are taking shuttle service from the airport to the cruise. But, if you're going to rely on other modes of transportation, absolutely think about if your bags will fit into the trunk of the potentially small vehicle or in the back seat with all of you.

Old July 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM
20,000+ Club

I don't really think a lot of luggage handlers or thieves will know the difference between an expensive piece of luggage vs. a cheaply made one. Most people who don't often shop for luggage are shocked at the price of good luggage. They are expecting quality pieces for under $100, they all gravitate to the most expensive stuff in the store first.

Old July 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I would LOVE to have a Rimowa Salsa Lite or Tumi Vapor international carryon, but I can't bring myself to pay that much!!! $250 is my limit What I would really love is if either one of those was truly at 20", not the 21.7" or so. I would still worry about intra-Europe travel with one of those bags...

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM
20,000+ Club

Watch for sales! Sometimes a discontinued color will come up @ around 40% off. Tumi sets their own pricing and tells us when we can mark things down, so if you see a piece on sale...that's the price you will pay anywhere. Once in a while you can pick up a years old piece at a final discounter like TJ Maxx.

Both Rimowa Salsa Air and Vapor are worth the $$$.

Tumi has a new line, Tegra-lite, even pricier but almost indestructible.

Edit to add, Rimowa has only had one sale since I started selling luggage 5 years ago and that was the day after Christmas this year. Funny thing was, they raised the price before they put it on sale, so the sale price wasn't as big a savings as what people thought it was. Kind of sneaky on their part, but I think they just didn't want to bring the new version of Salsa Deluxe out at a much higher price point. But again, sometimes there is the rare piece, usually discontinued colors and usually only a couple odd pieces, never the best sellers.

I just work there, I don't price the stuff.

Last edited by Happy ks; July 8th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Old July 9th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

All this talk about luggage made me swing into LLBean to pick up some new luggage!

Got the extra large pullman and the large rolling duffle. Now, if anything breaks... Ever. I can walk into the store and get a new one or print out a return postage slip at home, throw the case in a box and llbean will pay shipping and send me a new one!

Yeah! Ready to go!

RCCL Liberty of the Seas 6/20/2010 - Western
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 10/24/2009 - Eastern
NCL Norwegian Dream 10/26/2008 - Bermuda
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 3/28/2008 - Eastern
NCL Norwegian Majesty 9/2003 - Bermuda

Old July 11th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I don't really think a lot of luggage handlers or thieves will know the difference between an expensive piece of luggage vs. a cheaply made one.
Wanna' bet? Of course airport thieves know which brands are pricey, and they target those suitcases for theft. I worked for an airline for 5 years and would never ever check luggage from any of the pricey brands: Rimova, Briggs & Riley, Halliburton, Vuitton, Tumi, etc. Any costly brand is fine for carry-on, but stick to good quality, less expensive brands for checked bags.

I also have more luggage than most stores, everything from Hartmann (vintage and never ever checked) to Eagle Creek, TravelPro, Atlantic, Skyway, Samsonite, etc. After independent travel for almost 50 years I've learned a few things. I bought a set of spinner luggage a few years ago for a month-long trip to Asia. The 25-inch suitcase (kindly note this is absolutely the largest size anyone should plan to check on an airline) survived the trip, but the very next time I checked it domestically one of the wheels got torn off. So spinners, no matter how convenient they seem for rolling along, are OUT of my repertoire. If the airline breaks one of your spinner's wheels during a trip you are royally in a bind.

My go-to brand and luggage vendor for the past few years is eBags, previously mentioned in this thread. They sell many popular brands (including Tumi, Eagle Creek, TravelPro) but they really shine with their own branded lines. I'm absolutely sold on their TLS duffels and convertible bags and own 5 TLS pieces. I bought their eTech line for my husband a few months ago, good luggage but not as good as the TLS. One really great thing about the eBags website is the videos that show the features of each bag, indispensable when buying online.

To reiterate what other posters have mentioned, a 28 or 29-inch bag is simply too big for checking on an airline. It's far too easy for that size case to go over the weight limit, especially if packing several pairs of shoes. One never knows when s/he might have to lift the bag over curbs, carry it up or down a staircase (think the Metro in Paris), or maneuver it in tight spaces. I always make sure I can personally carry/drag/roll every item I take on a trip by myself with no assistance from husband, skycap, or bellperson. My 25-inch eBags TLS MotherLode Junior is the closest bag to perfect ever, and it comes in several sizes and colors. It never fails to amaze me how much I can fit in the thing, and it expands for mega loads. Check it out.

Old July 11th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandls View Post
If you plan on flying with the luggage I would be very careful with the 'total' size of the 28 inch bag. Some airlines may add the wheels and handles - and charge you an oversize bag fee. I bought a 25 inch so I would not have to worry - about the airlines getting stricter with their rules.
I had the TV on a couple of weekends ago and Samantha Brown was on a shopping channel selling her brand of luggage. This is from a woman who travels for a living. She was selling a 28" suitcase she did say that the airlines are becoming so strict when you have a large piece of luggage -- not only the weight factor but also that some airlines are including the handles and wheels in their measurements. She suggested using the larger luggage when traveling by car, train, etc. and using smaller luggage for flying.

I'm in the market for a smaller carryon -- something around 17". I've noticed that Europeans have carryon luggage that is a lot smaller than what we use (22"). As someone posted you are at the mercy of the agents at the gates who determine whether your bag is too large to carry on. I almost had this happen to me, but since my carryon had things in it (17" computer, camera, medication) they let me take it and it fit in the overhead just fine. This happened at Heathrow and from that experience and some after then I have used smaller carryons.

Last edited by TootyJane; July 11th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Old July 11th, 2012, 07:53 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootyJane View Post
I had the TV on a couple of weekends ago and Samantha Brown was on a shopping channel selling her brand of luggage. This is from a woman who travels for a living. She was selling a 28" suitcase she did say that the airlines are becoming so strict when you have a large piece of luggage -- not only the weight factor but also that some airlines are including the handles and wheels in their measurements. She suggested using the larger luggage when traveling by car, train, etc. and using smaller luggage for flying.

I'm in the market for a smaller carryon -- something around 17". I've noticed that Europeans have carryon luggage that is a lot smaller than what we use (22"). As someone posted you are at the mercy of the agents at the gates who determine whether your bag is too large to carry on. I almost had this happen to me, but since my carryon had things in it (17" computer, camera, medication) they let me take it and it fit in the overhead just fine. This happened at Heathrow and from that experience and some after then I have used smaller carryons.
Before you purchase, read the reviews on her pieces, not the ones from people who have just unpacked them and love the look, the ones who have actually traveled with them. This is a great example of how people with a trusted name can sell, sell, sell and it's not necessarily the best. They do look nice, kind of remind me a bit of Brics Safari line. My boss always tells us to watch the shopping network sales people, how they can make a big deal over the smallest detail, like the hardware on a piece, or the fact that the suitcase has wheels. They sell personality more than anything else, it's amazing to watch (I've never bought a thing off those shows, though).

I have to politely disagree with Fun Nut. Of course, if you have an inside thief they may know, but I think the ones who just grab and run with a bag at the carousel doesn't know any difference. Hopefully the inside job people get caught and lose their jobs and face charges, just like the grab and run thieves.

We've always checked our Tumi, never once had a problem. My sister checks her Rimowa, same thing. The only people who report any stolen items at all in our luggage store are briefcases...and they always say they foolishly left them on the seat of their rental car. You would think in 5 years being at the store, I'd hear more about theft, but the only stories I hear are the ones that are already in the news, like the guy in Phoenix a few years ago that had hundreds of cases in his home. Or, the guy here in OC who had (from what people say) 2 sets of Louis Vuitton stolen at the airport. I don't know how much of that story to believe. First, Louis Vuitton is not sold in sets an the only pieces I've ever seen are carry on sizes. But, I don't know much about the brand, I can't afford it so just admire from afar.

I think Ebags is great for people who can't get to a luggage store and see/feel what they are buying. But don't expect lower prices. I've never seen a piece of their name brand, but I've looked at it online and it's probably manufactured by a luggage manufacturer like TravelPro or Delsey, something fairly decent quality. They will make a much larger profit margin on their own brand. While I'm happy for them, I still like to buy local in stores. Try to help local people employed.

Last edited by Happy ks; July 11th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry to post a question in your thread but, I'm curious between the tumi vapor or rimowa salsa air - one better than the other? I liked them both!

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:01 AM
20,000+ Club

Personally, if I were to choose between Tumi Vapor and Rimowa Salsa Air, my preference would be the Tumi. Both are great bags, but I just like the styling on Vapor better. Salsa Air is probably a tad bit lighter.

I like the double handle cases, never have cared a whole lot for single pole pull handle.

My boss has Salsa Air and she loves it. Out of the 8 people working in our store, I think only 2 of us like the Tumi Vapor better.

If we compared the Tumi Vapor to the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe, I think I'd go with the Salsa Deluxe. Just to confuse things. I like the wheel system on Salsa Deluxe better than either of the above and it does have the double pull handle.

Last edited by Happy ks; July 17th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Endorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaleigh View Post
All this talk about luggage made me swing into LLBean to pick up some new luggage!

Got the extra large pullman and the large rolling duffle. Now, if anything breaks... Ever. I can walk into the store and get a new one or print out a return postage slip at home, throw the case in a box and llbean will pay shipping and send me a new one!

Yeah! Ready to go!
BBM

DH swears by his LL Bean Sportsmen's Collection pieces!!

HAPPY CRUISING!!

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

I bought a set of green High Sierra luggage and so far I Love it! I've had it about 4 years (12 RT flights). Has good wheels, plenty of handles, expandable, and hidden backpack straps (great when walking a bag up stairs or when carrying multiple bags in a narrow area. It also has 3 compartment levels if you use the divider and divides your clothes from other items like shoes or toiletries or dirty clothes. This was fantastic since last time I flew I had a bottle leak but it was restricted to the upper level and no clothes were affected.

Old July 19th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks! The single pole handle was a slight concern! I love the look of the tumi! Now I need to decide on a size! I appreciate all your advice you give on here.

Old July 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM
5,000+ Club

I thought I would bring this thread up again to share my purchase experience!! This thread has been great for me...

We own samsonite and love them, but they are close to 10 pounds prior to packing. That is fine for a cruise that once on board you dont have to deal with the weight again.

Now, we are getting close ( 6 weeks away) to our land vacation in Italy. Arrive in Rome then we will travel by train to Venice, train to Florence and train again back to Rome. The suitcase has got to fit in a train overhead and handle cobblestones well. With us moving around Italy I did not want our luggage to be a chore and so I knew we needed a light weight suitcase (I am still working on not packing a lot.)

I read this thread over and over again, checked out all the suggestions here and then decided..
So I went with LL Bean. One suitcase for him, one for me. 26'. for 14 days, yikes!! They arrived last week and I am thrilled with the suitcase.
They even got the monograms right!!

The one downside which I knew from reviews is that they have no inside straps so the clothes may move around a lot.... Still the light weight of the suitcase, the construction and everything else is awesome.... Not to mention the plum color!! These darn suitcases were not cheap yet once I had them I felt the money was well spent.

So now I am considering packing cubes and will read the other thread on this subject... There will be no formal nights on this trip so I am not freaked about wrinkles or the like!! I just may let the clothes float around in the suitcase!

I had expected we would only use these suitcases just for this trip but once the arrived....I dont know, may use them again....They are that nice.

If anyone has suggestions for a small backback would love to hear. Again, want it to be lightweight, small just to fit a little camera, maps and easy on my shoulder... BTW, I dont like Vera Bradley at all, (hope I got her name right) but would prefer a good quality cloth to leather....