Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How Much does a TA make off of a booking?

I'm not trying to be nosy, I am just curious since I frequently see travel agencies offereing substantial shipboard credit and other offers. How can they afford to do that?

I thought they probably made $100 or so off of a 7 day cruise, am I wrong?

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The commission earned is 15% of the cruise fare not including the port fees and taxes.
When we had to make an insurance claim during the volcanic ash situation our TA sent us a copy of their invoice with RCI which showed the breakdown.

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow! That is pretty darn good! Especially since my TA gives me NADA incentives. I just call her up and she makes the reservation and takes my payment. The only thing we ever got was a free ship tour and the ability to put a deposit down on a future cruise and get onboard credit from Royal not the travel agent. Nice but free insurance, onboard credit, bottle of wine, etc. would be nice coming from the agent. This will be my 3rd cruise thru her.

Kelly

Sailed on the following cruise ships:
Disney Magic
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Valor
Freedom Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Liberty Of The Seas

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
20,000+ Club

I'm thinking that the TA's more than likely have to split the commission with the company they work for. And...not all of the cruise fare is commissionable.

I doubt any of them are getting rich.

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
10,000+ Club

It depends what type of customer you are ..
Holland: 11 voyages 152 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages; 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages; 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages; 35 days
Vantage: River 2 voyage 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 66 Cruises 604 days

NOT YET SAILED
Holland Eurodam 8/14 -18 days
Princess Coral 10/14-11 days
Holland Prinsendam 11/14 -28 days
Holland Ryndam 1/15 -14 days
Holland Maasdam 3/15 -14 days
Holland Rotterdam 4/15 - 18 days
Holland Veendam 6/15 - 14 days
Vantage River Cruise 8/15 - 21 days
Holland Prinsendam 10/15 - 28 days

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not nearly as much as many people think. The main thing a good travel agent will give is service.

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
20,000+ Club

Unless they work on commission only they do not make the full %
They get a portion of it & still have bills to pay etc...

Some are on salary & do not get any of the commission

The OBC can come from the cruiseline as incentives for agencies that have a lot of bookings

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:15 PM
10,000+ Club

The TAs are just raking in the dough... That is why so many are going out of business!

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirlgonecruizin View Post
Wow! That is pretty darn good! Especially since my TA gives me NADA incentives. I just call her up and she makes the reservation and takes my payment. The only thing we ever got was a free ship tour and the ability to put a deposit down on a future cruise and get onboard credit from Royal not the travel agent. Nice but free insurance, onboard credit, bottle of wine, etc. would be nice coming from the agent. This will be my 3rd cruise thru her.

Kelly
So simply because you do buisiness with her you expect that she should give something back to you from her compensation? If you don't feel her service to you in doing the job she is paid for is satisfactory, then use someone else or book through RCI directly. Sorry - just don't understand why you feel she should give you some of her money based on how much commission she earns or the fact that you book through her.

Read the story on the main page of CC entitled "Carnival Bans Cash-Equivalent Promotions". Maybe the way of the future for your give backs.....

RCI cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
Adventure (twice)
Voyager
Navigator
Liberty
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom - 10/14
Adventure B2B - 6/15 & 7/15

Upcoming:

Last edited by leaveitallbehind; July 10th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:24 PM
50,000+ Club

The amount that a TA makes varies by cruise line. Also be aware that they don't make it all. The agency makes a portion of it and if it is part of a franchise or a consortium there is an additional cost as well to them.

Keith

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Many travel agents do not get any commission themselves; the agency gets it all and then pays the agent a salary/hourly wage.

I worked in the travel business for many years and that is the situation I was in - the agencies did not split the commission with agents - we were paid by the hour.

Mariner of the Seas - Dec. 2007
Mariner of the Seas - Dec. 2008
Freedom of the Seas - Dec. 2009 - B2B
Freedom of the Seas - Dec. 2010 - B2B
Freedom of the Seas - Dec. 2011 - B2B
Freedom of the Seas - Dec. 2012 - B2B
Freedom of the Seas - Dec. 2014 - B2B

Yes, we're in a rut - but what a great rut it is!

Old July 11th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We now book on line or with the company. Our old TA told me she just couldn't afford to give every one of her customers even a bottle of wine. She was VERY good and only handled cruises.
Often it is the company giving OBC or something, not the TA, so you'll come back to the company.
Regency
Premier
Cape Canaveral Cruises
Carnival
Royal Caribean
NCL
Celebrity
Princess
Costa

Old July 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherb1953 View Post
The commission earned is 15% of the cruise fare not including the port fees and taxes.
When we had to make an insurance claim during the volcanic ash situation our TA sent us a copy of their invoice with RCI which showed the breakdown.
This should not be taken as a fact....

a) it depends on the cruiseline
b) it depends on the volume of sales generated and relationship they have with the cruiseline
c) it depends on how much they have to share with their company

From what I've read some are as low as 7% of the cruise fair (directly stated from a TA that was booking Regent cruises). So don't assume your TA is making a killing off of your business. Also remember that they don't get any commision for the airfare or hotels typically.

HAL Veendam / Canada & New England /June 7, 2014
RCL Oasis of the Seas / Western Caribbean / February 4, 2012
Carnival Victory / Southern Caribbean / February 6, 2011
Carnival Destiny / Southern Caribbean / December 12, 2004

Old July 11th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveitallbehind View Post
So simply because you do buisiness with her you expect that she should give something back to you from her compensation? If you don't feel her service to you in doing the job she is paid for is satisfactory, then use someone else or book through RCI directly. Sorry - just don't understand why you feel she should give you some of her money based on how much commission she earns or the fact that you book through her.

Read the story on the main page of CC entitled "Carnival Bans Cash-Equivalent Promotions". Maybe the way of the future for your give backs.....
First, did you see anywhere in my post where I said I EXPECTED my travel agent to give me something? Second, I NEVER said I felt her service to me was unsatisfactory. I just stated that I call her up and she books my cruise and takes my payment. I do not get any perks at all. Nada. Third, I said IT WOULD BE NICE if I received a perk from booking my cruises with her. There is nothing wrong with feeling that way. Many cruisers receive perks as a thank you for booking thru them. I have booked thru the cruise line themselves and have used online cruise companies in the past. If travel agencies do receive 15% commision on the cruise fare then that is really good. That would be why a lot of them do give perks to the clients. Try not making assumptions about people by reading one post and coming to your own conclusion. And I did read about Carnival banning/putting limits on the extras travel agencies have been a custom to giving to clients just to try and get their business. I think it's crap!

Kelly

Sailed on the following cruise ships:
Disney Magic
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Valor
Freedom Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Liberty Of The Seas

Old July 11th, 2012, 09:30 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilyn70 View Post
This should not be taken as a fact....

a) it depends on the cruiseline
b) it depends on the volume of sales generated and relationship they have with the cruiseline
c) it depends on how much they have to share with their company

From what I've read some are as low as 7% of the cruise fair (directly stated from a TA that was booking Regent cruises). So don't assume your TA is making a killing off of your business. Also remember that they don't get any commision for the airfare or hotels typically.
And - from your point - what difference should it make how much they earn doing their job. (and why should that be basis for something coming back to the customer). That is determined by the cruiseline as to what is fair and reasonable for the services provided to the RCI customer by the TA. Your rate doesn't change whether you book directly through RCI or an agent. This is why I don't understand some of the comments (as I responded to earlier) that suggest that the customer should receive something of value back from the TA out of their own pocket as a result of them simply doing their job.

RCI cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Adventure (twice)
Voyager
Navigator
Liberty
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom - 10/14

Upcoming:

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveitallbehind View Post
And - from your point - what difference should it make how much they earn doing their job. (and why should that be basis for something coming back to the customer). That is determined by the cruiseline as to what is fair and reasonable for the services provided to the RCI customer by the TA. Your rate doesn't change whether you book directly through RCI or an agent. This is why I don't understand some of the comments (as I responded to earlier) that suggest that the customer should receive something of value back from the TA out of their own pocket as a result of them simply doing their job.
I'm not sure why you quoted me and asekd this. All I did was state how commisions work. I didn't ask for anything, I was simply dispelling the statement that they make 15%.

HAL Veendam / Canada & New England /June 7, 2014
RCL Oasis of the Seas / Western Caribbean / February 4, 2012
Carnival Victory / Southern Caribbean / February 6, 2011
Carnival Destiny / Southern Caribbean / December 12, 2004

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilyn70 View Post
I'm not sure why you quoted me and asekd this. All I did was state how commisions work. I didn't ask for anything, I was simply dispelling the statement that they make 15%.
Sorry - not trying to put any words in your mouth. Just taking off on your mention that they are likely not making a killing. I agree with this and just was continuing your info with my opinion as stated. I think your information is valid towards my opinion that TA's deserve whatever they earn and should not feel obligated to share it with their customers.

No other connection to your post. Sorry if it was misunderstood.

RCI cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Adventure (twice)
Voyager
Navigator
Liberty
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom - 10/14

Upcoming:

Old July 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
10,000+ Club

I personally do not feel it is any of our business what a TA earns in salary and/or commission.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rome to Lisbon - 10 nights - Mariner / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Nothing from agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirlgonecruizin View Post

Kelly
It looks like you need a new agent. My agent gives me onboard credit and other goodies every time I book through him. He also watches for price drop for me...can't beat that!

Email: kvn8961@yahoo.com

Old July 12th, 2012, 12:00 AM
10,000+ Club

I know one cruise our TA made a whole $10 on one of our bookings. It was a very cheap 4 day cruise. I know she lost money on that one.

Our TA is part of a consortium. Sometimes she is able to put people into already formed groups to get the gimmees offered.