Has anyone taken a boxed wine on board?

flagger

I don't drink, but a family member is asking. Now before some of you get all in a tizzy over the thought of boxed wine. Some of the new varietals from Australia and other regions in boxes are said to be quite enjoyable. Breakage in flight does not seem to be a problem either.

So I was asked to ask if anyone has brought a boxed wine on board. Did they only drink it in their cabin or did they take it to dinner? Was their a corkage fee charged?

Yes, took one on the Zenith. Even thougth it was a 14 day cruise, I couldn't finish it though. Hubby took a bottle of rum, and they didn't look in the bag. We didn't take any to dinner though.

One of our tablemates on a Transatlantic bought a number of cartons of Sangria in Spain, both for an in-cabin Bon Voyage party and as gifts for the other table mates. Don't see any problem about in cabin consumption. And the carton made it back from Barcelona just fine.

Main dining it gets a little more complicated. If you have an exclusive table there probably wouldn't be any argument. Or you shared with your tablemates. But you are probably going to have to do the pouring yourself and they are not going to be able to keep your wine at optimum temperature for serving (square peg in round hole problem ;)).

Recommend you (or family members) stick to drinking boxes in cabin.

Main dining it gets a little more complicated. If you have an exclusive table there probably wouldn't be any argument. Or you shared with your tablemates. But you are probably going to have to do the pouring yourself and they are not going to be able to keep your wine at optimum temperature for serving (square peg in round hole problem ;)).

Oh, I'll bet the sommelier could come up with a carafe or two...

We don't drink wne, but on our Mercury 3-30-05 cruise, we did observe the wine somm'lr taking a box of FRANZIA to a waiter's station. I was totally surprised as I always thought that more upscale wines would be served at dinner. I guess this is what they serve "by the glass". Just thought I would post this as a response to the OP.

Joanne

We normally take a "box" for cabin/balony consumption. We still buy wine at dinner and in the lounges before dinner. The boxes travel well and not all good wine is expensive and in a bottle, these days. It's very convenient and safe.

Rick

Justjudy, the definitely do sell liquor on board and the prices are comparable to duty free prices (or better). We always had to have it delivered at the end of the cruise, though. Some people seem to have been able to take it back to the cabin. i think it depends on the person doing the selling.

Thank you for the box wine idea. I have heard that very good wines are now coming in a box--perfect for in the cabin (I am not sure I would be able to hand a box of wine to the sommelier). Some excellent wines now come with screw tops--a little weird for those of us who have always equated screw tops with cheap and lousy. But, my favorite wine, Caymus Conundrum is now in a screw top bottle and, at a discount, is over $20 per bottle so I guess i have to change my thinking.

Linda

I always take wine for some dinners I have never thought of boxed wine. I think I would be more afraid that it would crush. Me I am the bubble wrap queen! I alway pack wine or liquor in bubble wrap and then use the same bubble wrap to bring what ever duty free liquor I buy!

But, my favorite wine, Caymus Conundrum is now in a screw top bottle and, at a discount, is over $20 per bottle so I guess i have to change my thinking.

Linda

Hey Linda :D

That is one of my favorite white wines, too! I believe they ocassionaly have it on the specialty restaurant wine menu. You can ask for it in the main dining room and I think they charge around $40 a bottle when they have it. Have you tried the Mer Soleil, also from Caymus Vineyards? Nice chardonnay but a bit pricier.

Char, thanks for the tip! i will give it a try. I'll check Trader Joe's first since they seem to have some pretty good deals and will let you know.

Never saw the Conundrum on board, but I will definitely look in October!

Linda

Char, thanks for the tip! i will give it a try. I'll check Trader Joe's first since they seem to have some pretty good deals and will let you know.

Never saw the Conundrum on board, but I will definitely look in October!

Linda

Hey Linda :D

The Conundrum wasn't on the regular dining room menu. They had it in the specialty restaurant, but you can ask for it. Since Caymus sells all that they bottle, sometimes there are restrictions on how much each customer can purchase. In other words, when it's gone it's gone for that year!

Archived