Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Am I the only one who tries to always go on a different ship?

I'm still young, only 23, and been on 5 cruises do far, but, to me, I alway want to try and book a different cruise ship each year, am I one of the few that is like this? I think one of the best parts of a cruise is on embarkation day wandering around the ship exploring. On a ship you've already been on, you know where most stuff is already.

Past Cruises:
Adventure of the Seas (Propulsion Problem Altered Itinerary) - Southern/Eastern Carib - March 2014
Allure of the Seas - 7 Night Eastern Carib - March 2013
Freedom of the Seas - 7 Night Western Carib - March 2012
Carnival Freedom - 8 Night Eastern Carib - March 2011
NCL Jewel - 6 Night Western Carib - March 2009
Carnival Sensation - 3 Night Bahamas - March 2008

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

I like to try different ships, too. But different itineraries are even more important to me.

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm one that enjoys the same ship even if it means the same iteneraries again. I enjoy seeing the same crew members again and knowing where things are. However on some of thhe cruises we've been on I've met people who were trying to sail every ship in the fleet so you are definately not alone in wanting to sail on different ships.

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
5,000+ Club

I just want to be on a cruise. It really doesnt matter which RCI ship or where its going to me as long as Im cruising. I am limited anyway because I drive to the ports and like to keep it within an 8 or 9 hour drive so Tampa and Port Canaveral are really my only choices. I wish Tampa had a RCI ship year around.

I think its neat that you are trying different options though

Carnival Holiday - 6/08
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/10
Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas - 2/11
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas - 4/12

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No, you're not the only one. I used to be like that also. But, as I continued to cruise more, looking for the best options pricewise and timewise became very important also. I do a girl's cruise each year, so we needed a relatively cheap trip on a decent ship. Turned out to be the Enchantment several years in a row. Same thing with the Explorer. It's a local ship for me, so when I can get a good deal on it, I try to hop on. However, if given 2 choices with same itinerary and price, one on a ship I've been on before and a totally new ship, I'd definitely try the new ship. I still enjoy exploring new ships too.

Vision OTS - 9/14
Carnival Splendor - 6/14
Freedom OTS - 2/14, Pre-Inaugural 5/06
Carnival Breeze - 11/13
Enchantment OTS - 9/13, 8/12, 2/11, 10/08, 9/08 B2B, 1/08, 2/07, 9/06, 9/04, 9/03
Radiance OTS - 5/13 (Hawaii), 10/10
Oasis OTS - 10/12
Allure OTS - 1/12
Liberty OTS - 1/12
Explorer OTS - 9/11, 6/11, 7/09, 10/07, 11/06
Caribbean Princess - 10/10
Crown Princess - Pre-Inaugural 6/06
Sun Princess - 5/06 (Alaska)
Celebrity Constellation - 11/05
Sovereign OTS - 3/05, 10/01
Voyager OTS - 10/04
Carnival Conquest - 8/04
NCL Dawn - 2/03
Brilliance OTS - 11/02
Majesty OTS - 9/02
Carnival Triumph - 6/02
Grand Princess - 4/01
Carnival Victory - 8/00
Carnival Sensation - 7/00

Up Next: NCL Breakaway 10/14, Oasis of the Seas 10/15, Celebrity Reflection 11/15, Anthem of the Seas 4/16

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Its all about the destinations with me plus the price of course. However i do like to explore new ships and have that feeling of excitment of what to expect before it happens.

So far i have been on Majesty and Marniner and going on the NCL Jade later this year. I would love to try the Oasis or Allure but while there in the US im not sure i can afford the airfare. Would love them to come to Europe, anyone know if theres any plans for them to?

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

You have described my husband perfectly. With us breaking into non-Caribbean itineraries, though, he may change his tune.
Liberty of the Seas 2013 (Thanksgiving)~ Legend of the Seas 2013 ~ Liberty of the Seas 2013 (Birthday) ~ Briilliance of the Seas 2012 ~ Adventure of the Seas 2012 ~ Oasis of the Seas 2011 ~ Carnival Miracle 2010 ~ Freedom of the Seas 2010 ~ Independence of the Seas 2009 ~ Mariner of the Seas 2008 ~ Norwegian Star 2008 ~ Pride of Hawaii 2007 ~ Sapphire Princess 2007 ~ Carnival Valor 2006 ~ Carnival Imagination 2005 ~ Norwegian Sea 2005 ~ Norwegian Crown 2004 ~ Carnival Jubilee 1995 ~ Canadea/New England ~ Costa 1988

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

I like to try different cruise lines, i'm not repeating any cruise ships, yet, i guess i would like to try most of the ones i think i would enjoy and go back to the ones i liked the most. Maybe its just me, but i don't understand people who go on the same cruise ship 7 different times, and never try anything new. I don't mind people who do the cruise maybe 2 times, but 7 times is a little extreme, thats just my opinion.

TheCruisingQueen

PastCruises:
NCL Jewel Nov/2009
NCL Epic Mar/2011
RCCL Allure of the seas Sept/2011
Celebrity Equinox Mar/2012

CruisesComingUp!:

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Cruise Critic Host

I've cruised the same ship twice, but it was to try a different itinerary (both cruises were in the Southern Caribbean). I thought I would be bored with the ship the second time around, but I found that it was nice knowing where everything is on the ship. Less pressure to try and see everything, and we could relax a bit more to enjoy the areas of the ship we really liked. I would sail one of my past ships again, as long as the itineraries were different from what I'd experienced previously.

Previous Cruises:
NCL Norwegian Crown-NYC to Bermuda (2006)
RCI Adventure S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2009)

Complete Photo Reviews:
RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2010)
l Carnival Glory from Norfolk-Bahamas (2011) l RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Aruba Route (2011) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel (2012) l Fort Lauderdale Pre-and-Post-Cruise l RCI Allure W. Caribbean-Babymoon (2012) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel-Baby's First Cruise (2014)

Up next:
Norwegian Breakaway, January 2015
RCI Quantum, March 2015
Celebrity Silhouette, November 2015

Travel Blog

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~Mark Twain

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:12 PM
10,000+ Club

A good question! Like others, the ship is one factor for me. Take a look at my cruise history below and see if my words match my actions First cruise was picked out by my friend and travel agent. At the time we booked the Voyager class was the biggest. That was a factor in her picking that cruise for me. I did specify Eastern Caribbean as that looked more inviting to me. For my 2nd cruise I did pick the exciting new Freedom after seeing it on TV. (I booked that one so far ahead that it actually ended up being my 3rd cruise when a great deal came up on Majesty. Our 2009 cruise was chosen partially because of what was available at the time, this time we traveled with my sister and her husband and the Navigator worked out well. It was a new ship, but a repeat of the class of ship, but a factor was a new port - Belieze. 5th cruise came about unexpectedly, we weren't planning on cruising at all because we were paying for our daughter's wedding. A little extra money came up along with another good deal on Majesty. Another factor was the stop in Key West, one our list of places we wanted to go, so ship small factor, ports larger in this case.

Cruise 6, the ship (Allure) was a prime factor in our choice. The fact that it went to St Maarten was a factor as well as Maho Beach was on my bucket list. So this new ship was a prime factor.

Cruise 7, I was looking at trying a Radiance class ship based on what I have read here, so a new ship was a major factor. It also worked out well for the couple that traveled with us as they could leave their son with his Dad in Tampa.

Cruise 8 is a return to Allure so no we didn't look at a new ship. We could have considered Oasis, but she would have been doing Western the week we wanted to travel so in this case date and ports were the prime factor.

For cruise 9, I don't know if the new Sunshine class will be out then or not, but that could be a factor, otherwise I'm considering a return to Freedom, or another Freedom class. I may look at trying a Vision class, but its down my priority list.
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise
7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route
9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
56 great night's sleep
3 for 3 at making CoCo Cay

95% diamond -

Last edited by BillOh; July 11th, 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlee3333 View Post
I'm one that enjoys the same ship even if it means the same iteneraries again. I enjoy seeing the same crew members again and knowing where things are. However on some of thhe cruises we've been on I've met people who were trying to sail every ship in the fleet so you are definately not alone in wanting to sail on different ships.
Interesting point of view. Questions like this, I'm glad when the respondents have their history in their signature.
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise
7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route
9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
56 great night's sleep
3 for 3 at making CoCo Cay

95% diamond -

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:17 PM
5,000+ Club

I have sailed on 30 different ships 10 different cruise lines (including some that are gone). I have made these choices due to price, itineraries and ships. Every cruise is a different cruise experience. Besides being on a different ship you will have a different crew providing you service and entertainment.

I have never had a cruise I didn't like or been on a ship I wish I hadn't boarded. My measurement is all cruises are good but some have been better for different reasons.

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/

Allure web cam

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/multim...oyal+Promenade

Al
Plus Lifetime goal to sleep a year on the seas. Have enjoyed 299 evenings still have 66 nights to go.
A trip of a thousand miles begins with a deposit!
[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][IMG]

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

See my cruise ship list below. Only Nordic Prince twice, but I was a child at that time so couldn't vote Now I pay the cruise myself.

Always try to book a different ship. 26 cruise ships on 7 cruise lines.
Noordam
Caribbean Princess
Carnival Destiny
Norwegian Pearl
Carnival Valor (2008)
Ruby Princess (inaugural)
Carnival Splendor
Independence of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas (2009)
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Triumph
Navigator of the Seas (TA)
Carnival Dream
Celebrity Solstice (2010)
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
Carnival Glory (2011)
Brilliance of the Seas (2012): *Diamond cruise*
Mariner of the Seas (TA)
Liberty of the Seas
Carnival Breeze( Sept 2013)
Carnival Conquest *Platinum Cruise*
Serenade of the Seas (TA)
Carnival Sunshine (2014)
Independence of the Seas
Vision of the Seas
Vision OTS
Majesty OTS

next :
Eurodam Nov 23
Regal Princess Nov 30
Quantum OTS TA 05/2015

Last edited by Topo Gigio; July 11th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Faith View Post
I've cruised the same ship twice, but it was to try a different itinerary (both cruises were in the Southern Caribbean). I thought I would be bored with the ship the second time around, but I found that it was nice knowing where everything is on the ship. Less pressure to try and see everything, and we could relax a bit more to enjoy the areas of the ship we really liked. I would sail one of my past ships again, as long as the itineraries were different from what I'd experienced previously.

Totally agree. Sailed on one ship twice, 1st time 7-day Caribbean and 2nd time 5-day Northeast. We were already familiar with the ship and we were definitely more relaxed, not running around to see everything on board. That said, we really enjoy exploring a new ship each time we sail and DH is all about the newest ships

Enjoy!

Completed 12 cruises so far...
Royal Caribbean: Serenade, Mariner, Brilliance, Adventure, Oasis, Majesty
Princess: Grand
Carnival: Paradise, Victory (2), Spirit, Pride

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Itineraries first, hence we've sailed on some ships three times. We do like trying different ships but more important to us is the ports of call .

Equinox - Istanbul to Barcelona - August 2015
Equinox - Ultimate Caribbean & Panama - April 2015
Independence - Northern Europe - Oct 2014
Infinity - Iceland & The Faroes - July 2014
Independence - Caribbean - April 2014
Silhouette - Eastern Caribbean - B2B - April 2014
Enchantment - Bahamas. - Aug 2013
Oasis - Western Caribbean - Aug 2013
Solstice - Oz & NZ - Dec 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Aug 2012
Brilliance - Norway - Jun 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Oct 2011
Caribbean Princess - New England - Aug 2011
Liberty - Med B2B - April 2011
Liberty - Med Western - April 2011
Constellation - Baltics - Aug 2010
Splendour - Med to Venice - April 2010
Radiance - Alaska - Aug 2009
Brilliance - Canaries & Morocco - April 2009
Navigator - Med - May 2008
Brilliance - Venice Med - Aug 2007

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think every cruise is different, even if it's on the same ship- different crew, different cruise director/staff, different passenger dynamics. This will be my third time on the Oasis (plus one on the Allure), but I know it will be plenty different just as the last two were! For one, we tend to mix up the people who go, first time was with 9 of my family, second was just me and my parents, and now I am going with my boyfriend. Plus, twice on the Oasis and I still haven't done it all!

Completed cruises:
Jewel of the Seas 8/24/13
Oasis of the Seas 9/22/12

Allure of the Seas 8/28/11
Oasis of the Seas Special Holiday Cruise 12/30/10
Oasis of the Seas 3/10
Explorer of the Seas 6/09
Freedom of the Seas 8/08
Sovereign of the Seas 8/04
Carnival Triumph 8/03
Enchantment of the Seas 8/99
Grandeur of the Seas 8/97
Royal Majesty '96
Celebrity Zenith '94
Royal Majesty '94
Majesty of the Seas 8/93
The Big Red Boat '90

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I look at the destination more than the ship. As a by-product, I tend to go on different ships because they go to different places. That's cool. I love comparing them.

That said, since I live in Florida and Bahamian/Caribbean cruises are more just like a weekend trip to the beach... going on the same ship over and over for a small cruise wouldn't bother me either. As long as it was the specific purpose.

We really, really, really wanted to do that with the Monarch. That would just be our "we need a weekend away, so let's go on a short cruise" boat. However, I really disliked it. I am super excited to try Enchantment. I hope she becomes our go-to boat!

I have been on 2,847 cruises, so you should listen to, and believe, everything I say.

RHENIUM LEVEL CRUISER

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho1973 View Post
I look at the destination more than the ship. As a by-product, I tend to go on different ships because they go to different places. That's cool. I love comparing them.

That said, since I live in Florida and Bahamian/Caribbean cruises are more just like a weekend trip to the beach... going on the same ship over and over for a small cruise wouldn't bother me either. As long as it was the specific purpose.

We really, really, really wanted to do that with the Monarch. That would just be our "we need a weekend away, so let's go on a short cruise" boat. However, I really disliked it. I am super excited to try Enchantment. I hope she becomes our go-to boat!
I'm sure you will like Enchantment. When I go in August it will be trip# 10! Also, by the time she comes to FL, she will have been revitalized. Lucky you!

Vision OTS - 9/14
Carnival Splendor - 6/14
Freedom OTS - 2/14, Pre-Inaugural 5/06
Carnival Breeze - 11/13
Enchantment OTS - 9/13, 8/12, 2/11, 10/08, 9/08 B2B, 1/08, 2/07, 9/06, 9/04, 9/03
Radiance OTS - 5/13 (Hawaii), 10/10
Oasis OTS - 10/12
Allure OTS - 1/12
Liberty OTS - 1/12
Explorer OTS - 9/11, 6/11, 7/09, 10/07, 11/06
Caribbean Princess - 10/10
Crown Princess - Pre-Inaugural 6/06
Sun Princess - 5/06 (Alaska)
Celebrity Constellation - 11/05
Sovereign OTS - 3/05, 10/01
Voyager OTS - 10/04
Carnival Conquest - 8/04
NCL Dawn - 2/03
Brilliance OTS - 11/02
Majesty OTS - 9/02
Carnival Triumph - 6/02
Grand Princess - 4/01
Carnival Victory - 8/00
Carnival Sensation - 7/00

Up Next: NCL Breakaway 10/14, Oasis of the Seas 10/15, Celebrity Reflection 11/15, Anthem of the Seas 4/16

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Another here who likes to try different ships. We have only sailed on 1 ship twice and that was due to it being a different itinerary. Of course we have been on many in the same class, so that is kind of the same, but different. One of the reasons I like to do different ships is to see different entertainment. While most of the shows are very good, once (or twice) is usuallly enough.

As for the same crew, we have actually run into some on different ships and surprisingly they remembered us! What a surprise that one was.
Anthem of the Seas - 3 day - 3/16

Previous (75 nights and counting)-
RC Vision of the Seas - Western - 8/14 ** RC Allure of the Seas - Western - 6/13 ** RC Allure of the Seas - Eastern - 6/12 ** RC Navigator of the Seas - Med - 8/11 ** RC Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 8/09 ** NCL Gem - Cruise to Nowhere - 1/09 ** RC Freedom of the Seas - Eastern - 11/08 ** RC Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda - 6/08 ** RC Mariner of the Seas - Western - 6/07 ** Carnival Glory - Exotic Western - 6/06 ** RC Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas - 11/04 ** Carnival Imagination - Key West/Cozumel - 10/03 ** Carnival Holiday - Western - 5/88

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj2cute View Post
I'm sure you will like Enchantment. When I go in August it will be trip# 10! Also, by the time she comes to FL, she will have been revitalized. Lucky you!
I think the solarium option alone makes her a huge step up. There was just no where to go to get away on the Monarch.

Revitalized is also a HUGE perk. We have pretty much decided to book her for a trip in the spring ASAP.

I have been on 2,847 cruises, so you should listen to, and believe, everything I say.

RHENIUM LEVEL CRUISER