Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old July 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How American is the food on NCL Epic?

I have noticed the recent Pretzel Bread thread and (after goggling what that actually is) I just wondered how American the food in the buffet is? For example, will all the salads have dressings, will the milk be "half and half fat" (or whatever it's called), and will the tea be iced? I know that might sound strange, and I know the ship is very American (and I love America) but I love proper hot tea with milk and proper English style bacon, and salad that consists just of lettuce leaf, and bread that's just bread! Don't get me wrong, I do like other nationalities food and am not against trying different foods, I just wondered if my basic "staple food groups" will be as I normally have them, or if they will be like exotic oddities to me???

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudyrain View Post
I have noticed the recent Pretzel Bread thread and (after goggling what that actually is) I just wondered how American the food in the buffet is? For example, will all the salads have dressings, will the milk be "half and half fat" (or whatever it's called), and will the tea be iced? I know that might sound strange, and I know the ship is very American (and I love America) but I love proper hot tea with milk and proper English style bacon, and salad that consists just of lettuce leaf, and bread that's just bread! Don't get me wrong, I do like other nationalities food and am not against trying different foods, I just wondered if my basic "staple food groups" will be as I normally have them, or if they will be like exotic oddities to me???
So you can get English Breakfast Tea bags.

The Bacon is not real Bacon like at home but little crispy streeky bits. The sausages for breakfast in the buffet are more chipolata types.

Toast was white or rye?? And eggs they don't understand fried/poached it's all manner of over/under/easy.. I eventually educated one of the waitresses in O'Sheehans

The salads were ok so that's not a problem..

Yes Milk is full/half not semi/skimmed

But you get used to it quickly.. Just remember chips are fries and crisps are chips! If you order a burger etc..

+ Escape inaugural TA 29-10-15

Independence of the Seas - May '14 6nt France/Spain
Norwegian Spirit - Mar '14 9nt Canary/Morocco
Norwegian Getaway - Jan '14 sampler

Norwegian Epic - October '13 13nt westbound transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - Sep '13 7nt west med
Norwegian Breakaway - May 13 7nt Inaugural Transatlantic

Norwegian Epic - October '12 13nt Westbound Transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - Apr/May '12 7nt West Med

Norwegian Epic - May/Jun '11 7nt West Med
Independence of the Seas - Dec '10 11nt Canaries
Ocean Village 1 - Aug '10 7nt West Med

Ocean Village 2 - Apr '09 7nt Maiden East Med Pyramids
Ocean Village 1 - Jan '08 14nt Central Americas;
April '07 17nt Trans Atlantic Barbados-Crete;
May '06 14nt West Med; May '05 14nt West Med

Last edited by Single Cruiser; July 12th, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Old July 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

The food is american, but with so much choice you will always find something.
NCL Dawn - November 10
NCL Epic - April 12
NCL Spirit - Nov 12
NCL Pearl- September 13
NCL Breakaway - June 14

Old July 12th, 2012, 06:31 PM
5,000+ Club

No clotted cream

You might find some days will offer Canadian Bacon, and its a bit more like British bacon.

Norwegian USED to offer Scottish Bangers but sadly those days are gone.

Usually on the buffet you can make your own salad and just put whatever else you want on the greens (lettuce, rocket, endive).

When waiting for a fried egg just ask for it sunny side up or over easy and it will still have a runny yolk to dip your toast into!

There should be 3 types of bread, white, wheat, or rye and then of course the croissants, pretzel rolls, and other of danish or rolls or whatever.

The foodstuffs bascially come from Miami, shipped via UPS and dropped off at provisioning ports (even in Europe). The perishables such as fruit & veg will all be more locally grown.

Have fun!! There is such a bounty of culinary delights enjoy tasting your way across the world!

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)

Old July 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you! As long as I can still have a cup of tea I should be fine! I remember the day I went to a proper old school diner in Canada and asked for hot tea with milk and sugar, and then asked for no dressing on my salad, the response was "not even thousand island, you Brits are weird!". Don't get me wrong, I will try everything - and will give pea bacon (if that's what I recall the Canadian bacon being called) and syrup a go

I will definitely remember the eggs thing, especially when I think of the "as eggs is eggs" saying - they clearly aren't!

I'm used to having to explain myself to people though, especially when going to a chippy asking for a pea mix, most Brits don't even know what that is!

Old July 12th, 2012, 07:32 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudyrain View Post
I'm used to having to explain myself to people though, especially when going to a chippy asking for a pea mix, most Brits don't even know what that is!
I prefer my mushy peas on the side, but I'm all in for a seaside hut offering fish & chips!!

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:

Last edited by Sauer-kraut; July 12th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Old July 12th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer-kraut View Post
No clotted cream

You might find some days will offer Canadian Bacon, and its a bit more like British bacon.

Norwegian USED to offer Scottish Bangers but sadly those days are gone.

Usually on the buffet you can make your own salad and just put whatever else you want on the greens (lettuce, rocket, endive).

When waiting for a fried egg just ask for it sunny side up or over easy and it will still have a runny yolk to dip your toast into!

There should be 3 types of bread, white, wheat, or rye and then of course the croissants, pretzel rolls, and other of danish or rolls or whatever.

The foodstuffs bascially come from Miami, shipped via UPS and dropped off at provisioning ports (even in Europe). The perishables such as fruit & veg will all be more locally grown.

Have fun!! There is such a bounty of culinary delights enjoy tasting your way across the world!
I had Scottish Bangers on the Pearl in Oct and on the Sun in Jan.
Sun-5
Jewel-3
Pearl-9
Dawn-2
Epic-2
Getaway-

Old July 12th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm normally not much of a bread eater but at the Epic buffet they had a wonderful choice of fresh made breads and rolls. A very nice variety indeed.

I had a routine in the morning where I would eat my normal breakfast and then I would grab a couple of those evil chocolate croissants and a cup of coffee and wander out on to the decks.

Good times. I love the Epic.

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNPJN View Post
I had Scottish Bangers on the Pearl in Oct and on the Sun in Jan.
Ohhh!! Maybe they're bringing them back!

~Planer's Edge

~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The Scotch Bangers haven't been in the MDR on the Spirit for a couple of years, but we did find them at the breakfast buffet upstairs.

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

My wife waits each afternoon for the scones, preserves, and clotted cream to be put out. Don't know how traditional British they actually are, but she sure likes them and discovered scones while visiting England some time back. Haven't been on the Epic, but the other NCL ships we've been on has offered this. A few weeks ago on the Jewel, I thought their Indian food was really good. A new experience for me. I'm generally not a spicy food guy either. Lots of good food to be had.

Old July 13th, 2012, 01:20 AM
5,000+ Club

You will find a lot of curry on the Epic at the buffet. It's very good.
Carnival Paradise 2011: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1468875

Epic Info:
From the Deck Chair trip Review - Epic: http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/...-report-day-0/
Malcolm Oliver's Cruise Blog - Epic: http://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/n...iew-june-2010/
Epic "hull" cabin info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1522322
Epic uncovered balcony info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1523109
Dragable deck plans: http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Ma...rwegian%20Epic

Other NCL Info:
NCL Dining Guide: http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/fil...ide-022814.pdf
Helpful NCL documents http://www.ncl.com/downloads/docs
NCL ship Virtual Tours http://www.facebook.com/Norwegiancru...85302731539795
Shop NCL: http://www.nclgiftshop.com/

HOW TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.p...arch#faq_basic

NCL Jewel - Alaska 2012; CCL Paradise - Mexico 2011; NCL Epic - Inaugural Western Caribbean 2010; RCI Vision of the Seas - Mexico 2008; Disney Magic - W Caribbean 2005; RCI Viking Serenade - Mexico 1996; RCI Sovereign of the Seas - E Caribbean 1994

Old September 25th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Cruiser View Post
Just remember chips are fries and crisps are chips! If you order a burger etc..
I am German and in Germany you say "Chips", many years back in school I learned that in English it means "crisps" and not "chips", which are "fries".
So is this different on NCL ships?
When I want to order "crisps" I have to order "chips"?
How can I be sure that I won't get any "fries"??
I have been on RCCL Splendour and there I ordered "crisps". I extra didn't say "chips", because I was afraid to get "fries".
So then it is different at NCL?

Last edited by conny111; September 25th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by conny111 View Post
I am German and in Germany you say "Chips", many years back in school I learned that in English it means "crisps" and not "chips", which are "fries".
So is this different on NCL ships?
When I want to order "crisps" I have to order "chips"?
How can I be sure that I won't get any "fries"??
I have been on RCCL Splendour and there I ordered "crisps". I extra didn't say "chips", because I was afraid to get "fries".
So then it is different at NCL?
In America Pommes frites are called fries , in European English they are called chips.

I.e. These things:

In America Kartoffelchips are called chips , in European English they are called crisps.

I.e. These things:

NCL Dawn - November 10
NCL Epic - April 12
NCL Spirit - Nov 12
NCL Pearl- September 13
NCL Breakaway - June 14

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:54 PM
5,000+ Club

Ask for French Fries and you'll be fine. No mistaking those at all.

~Planer's Edge

~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default tea

my suggestion as a tea drinker is to bring your own. they serve do serve twinnings packages or lipton t bags. personally i am a tetley drinker....so i bring my own and i am happy!

you should be ok with what ever you order. make it easier on yourself and say french fries or potato chips. we do use chips both ways , ie fish and chips. but as stated before the usual standing is for fries and chips. if you say crisps, they will understand. there is indian fare everday. you can have eggs cooked which ever way you want. fried tomatoes too. (this is at the buffet) you can also go to one of the main dining rooms for breakfast or lunch. there will be differences if you are on the epic in europe or in the caribbean.

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm always amazed at the term "Canadian bacon". Our bacon is in strips like you get in the US. We, in Canada, call Canadian bacon "peameal bacon" and I've seen it here once in my lifetime. It should be called "British bacon" because it's what we got in London on a BLT.

Sorry for the aside, it's just one of those weird things, not sure why it ever got the reputation as being Canadian.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1725028 Live From Epic Transatlantic 2012 Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1921866 Live from Star Transatlantic 2013 -Garden Villa

[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][IMG]

Last edited by SuiteCruiser; September 25th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Old September 26th, 2012, 06:06 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteCruiser View Post
I'm always amazed at the term "Canadian bacon". Our bacon is in strips like you get in the US. We, in Canada, call Canadian bacon "peameal bacon" and I've seen it here once in my lifetime. It should be called "British bacon" because it's what we got in London on a BLT.

Sorry for the aside, it's just one of those weird things, not sure why it ever got the reputation as being Canadian.
I guess we call pea meal bacon Canadian because that's where it comes from. Some places now call it Canadian-style bacon which makes more sense because that really describes it and the bacon isn't actually imported from Canada.

I was introduced to pea meal bacon in Toronto at the St. Lawrence Market by some friends. We ate these incredible pea meal bacon sandwiches. So good that when my parents visited Toronto I made sure to send them there.
RCCL: Brilliance (2), Vision (2), Enchantment (4), Voyager (2), Liberty (2), Navigator (2), Explorer (2), Majesty, Monarch(2), Jewel, Mariner, Independence, Legend, Grandeur. Total: 24 cruises
Princess: Grand (2), Caribbean (2), Crown (2), Diamond, Dawn. Total: 8 cruises
Cunard: QM2 (4). Total: 4 cruises
Renaissance: R2. Total: 1 cruise
Holland-America: Maasdam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Rotterdam. Total: 5 cruises
MSC-Divina. Total: 1 cruise
Grand Total: 86 cruises

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

When we were on our TA last October they ran out of American bacon and had English bacon (bacon rashers), my hubby loved it but we only got them for about 2 days, we were told by a waiter that the food supplies were running really low, they were waiting for the ship to get to port to stock up again.

Old September 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanx for your explanation.
So where can I order chips/crisps on the Epic?
Only in O'Sheeans or also anywhere else?
Is it served in bags or open?
Because on RCCL Splendour they had those little bags in the café.
Never have seen this on any other RCCL ship and also not on any other cruise line. So I guess those bags are also not available on Epic, aren't they?