Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Red face Concerns about the Mariner

I've just read two pretty scathing reviews of the Mariner on the review section of CC. The most worrysome of them is the re occuring sewage odor. I've read about this problem before on this board, but I figured it was something that occasionally happens on most ships at one point or another, but "goes away". It's back.......
We're booked for the Monte Carlo to Rio cruise and now I'm getting twitchy about it. 17 days is a long time on a bad smelling ship....Although we got a good rate, it's still a sizable piece of change, at least for us. We'll be in cabin 959. Does anyone have any experience with this cabin? What about the rest of the ship. If it smells bad, I'm not gonna be happy.

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am writing this as I sit in my Mariner cabin, although I am on Deck 7. We've been on board since the 13th and I haven't noticed any foul smells in any part of the ship (although I have not sent any time on deck 9). I haven't heard any complaints about smell either.

Retired BMW CCA/NASA HPDE Instructor turned automotive journalist

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:51 AM
5,000+ Club

We were on for 2 weeks in January, right after the first report of bad odors. I was worried, but we never smelled anything foul. And we were right in the part of the ship (deck 7 aft) that was reported to be bad. So my worries were for nothing. Can't say your experience will be the same though.

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

We board Mariner a week from today (Venice embark). I don't usually post from the ship (though it's been a delight to read those onboard posts from folks like Rachel and a good many others). And GNALUZU, it was good of you to ring in.
But here's a promise: If there are smells, I shall post. AND make a lot of noise to the Powers about it.
Mudhen: How recent were the reports of smells on Mariner? (not sure I want to know)

Last edited by poss; July 17th, 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Old July 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Onboard Mariner now, midship deck 9. Have not noticed any odors.

Island Princess - Alaska, 6/05
Coral Princess - Panama Canal Full Transit, 4/07
Crown Princess - Baltic, 7/08
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera, 03/09
Crown Princess - Mediterranean, 6/10
Island Princess - Alaska, 8/11 (B2B)
Island Princess - Alaska, 8/11 (B2B)
Veendam - South America. 1/12
Seven Seas Mariner - Eastern Med., 7/12 (B2B)
Seven Seas Mariner - Eastern Med., 7/12 (B2B)
Pacific Princess - Mediterranean, 11/12
M/S Rossia - Moscow to St. Petersburg, 5/13
Seven Seas Navigator - Western Caribbean, 11/13 (B2B)
Seven Seas Navigator - Eastern Caribbean, 11/13 (B2B)
M/S Amadeus Royal, Danube River, 5/14

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'nAl View Post
Onboard Mariner now, midship deck 9. Have not noticed any odors.
...any vibrations?

Old July 17th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were just on june 16-26 (forward on deck 9) and never smelled anything at all. In fact, after being curious about the earlier posted reports, I went searching in vain a couple times up and down 7 and 9 on different days and never found any hint of an odor.

Old July 17th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't think that Mariner has vibrations-- but I could be mistaken. It's the kind of thing that'd bother me less than some other kinds of things.
E.g: I am super-sensitive to smells and it'd be very difficult for me to be on a boat with bad odors. My husband, otoh, would probably not notice them, or even if he noticed not be bothered. As we all know, smells are in the nose of the beholder.

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:30 PM
10,000+ Club

Poss is correct..... the Mariner does not have a vibration issue.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (4 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Talking

Was on Mariner for 11 days in April, in a Seven Seas Aft cabin, as far back as you can get. When in port on two occausions I got a wiff of something nasty but it was not from Mariner.... It was a commerical port and it was a sewer smell but disappeared in minutes.
I have a very sensitive nose, my DH on the other hand would not smell something if shoved in his face.

Now this all being said, Mariner is a ship that does have a septic system, if a passenger is looking for issues and is a "glass is half full" sort of passenger.... Well you many times you create your on problems, IMHO!

PS Advice on dealing with sewer smells on board, first if you get a wiff of something nasty... It is likely coming out of the sink pipe or shower drain, the toilet has water in it and that stops smells from coming from there. Now that you have figured out the source - use a hand towel and lay it over the offending source....if nothing else this will stop the smell and give you satisfaction of dealing with it!! This method wondered twice for us on a Princess Ship...

Enjoy your cruise, Mariner is a beautiful Lady?

Old July 17th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
Poss is correct..... the Mariner does not have a vibration issue.
Good to know!

Old July 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is making me feel a little better. The reviews I read were the two most recent (one in particular about a bad smell. They were in cabin 988, I believe) reviews in the CC member review section, under Cruise Reviews. I do know that some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something, but I was pretty put off to read 2 very recent reviews that were less than wonderful.......
I can always find something to eat, if food is a problem, but sewage smells...? That's another breed of cat. I wouldn't give it another thought, except for the fact that this problem has shown up fairly recently on the Regent board before.

Old July 17th, 2012, 02:35 PM
10,000+ Club

Mariner is the only Regent ship that does not have vibration issues.

Old July 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wripro View Post
Mariner is the only Regent ship that does not have vibration issues.
Good to know!

Old July 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in 955 just over a year ago, and never had any problem with smells or vibration, except in one port, and that was from the industrial docks, not from Mariner. I can't imagine that it would be any different now. I certainly wouldn't worry about it, Mariner is gorgeous.

NCL - Caribbean (1988)
Olympia - Greek Isles (1996)
HAL Rotterdam - Mediterranean (1999)
HAL Rotterdam - Alaska (2005)
Regent Mariner - Panama/S.America (2011)
Regent Voyager - NZ/Australia (2013)

Next up: Voyager - Copenhagen-Barcelona 9-20-15

Old July 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana541 View Post
Was on Mariner for 11 days in April, in a Seven Seas Aft cabin, as far back as you can get. When in port on two occausions I got a wiff of something nasty but it was not from Mariner.... It was a commerical port and it was a sewer smell but disappeared in minutes.
I have a very sensitive nose, my DH on the other hand would not smell something if shoved in his face.

Now this all being said, Mariner is a ship that does have a septic system, if a passenger is looking for issues and is a "glass is half full" sort of passenger.... Well you many times you create your on problems, IMHO!

PS Advice on dealing with sewer smells on board, first if you get a wiff of something nasty... It is likely coming out of the sink pipe or shower drain, the toilet has water in it and that stops smells from coming from there. Now that you have figured out the source - use a hand towel and lay it over the offending source....if nothing else this will stop the smell and give you satisfaction of dealing with it!! This method wondered twice for us on a Princess Ship...

Enjoy your cruise, Mariner is a beautiful Lady?
Think I was meaning to say "Glass is Half Empty" type of passenger! I am an optimist and a "Glass is Half Full" kinda girl !! But can get crabby and pissy on occausion

Take good care of that beautiful ship, sure wish I was back on her soon....

Old July 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

We were at the stern of Mariner on deck 8 last year - no issues with odours.

Off to Rio in November on Deck 9, but this time towards the bow.

We have always had excellent journeys with Regent and fully expect to enjoy our next voyage

Susan & David

(Our glasses tipped over years ago , but at least on Regent they keep bringing you a full one)

Old July 17th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossie009 View Post
(Our glasses tipped over years ago , but at least on Regent they keep bringing you a full one)
Very good.

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Hey Flossie!
We're on the same cruise, same deck! We'll probably meet at the block party! Hopefully all the latest bad reviews are hogwash! Figure if there's trouble, there's always the open bar! haha! Looking forward to it!

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Mariner in May (cabin 960). I, too, had read reports of smells. Knowing this upon boarding, I expected to encounter something. My husband and I can respond and say there were absolutely none on our cruise.