Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Coffee Snob on Voyager?

DW and I are booked on the August 25th sailing on Voyager. I am a coffee snob in that I grind beans and make espresso each day.

I know that the Voyager has a coffee bar with an espresso machine, but has anyone noticed if it actually grinds fresh beans, or if it is just a K-Cup type machine.

We have never had the opportunity to sail with Regent, and are looking forward to our trip very much.

--Brian & Cathy

The Baltic on Regent Voyager - 08/12
The Med on Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas - 10/11
Panama Canal on ms Zuiderdam - 10/10
Caribbean on Celebrity - 2/10
NYC to Caribbean on Princess - 7/06
Eastern Caribbean on ms Zuiderdam - The Hurricane Cruise 8/04
Western Caribbean on Carnival Paradise 1/03[/font]

Just Cathy - No Brian
NCL - Norway 4/89
Disney - Magic 5/87

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:40 PM
10,000+ Club

While I do not necessarily have an answer, just wanted to welcome you to the Regent board! My DH (husband) also grinds his beans every day and has challenges on the Voyager to find a good cup of coffee. Whether they grind the beans themselves or not, the best coffee he can find in is the Coffee Connection where the Barrista can make coffee to his specifications. Alternatively, the coffee machines in the Coffee Connection and on the pool deck work when he first presses "espresso" and then follows it with a regular coffee. Hopefully someone else can give you a definitive answer.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old July 19th, 2012, 12:01 AM
5,000+ Club

I am not a coffee person either. But I do vaguely remember hearing what sounds like a coffee grinder grinding beans in coffee connection.

Just wish regent would upgrade their tea. Silversea offers proper loose leaf tea. Not found on regent.

Old July 19th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

In the concierge level suites, there is an Illy coffee machine for that early morning shot of esspresso. Unused by me but some may like it.

Old July 19th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Illy machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrpingtonT View Post
In the concierge level suites, there is an Illy coffee machine for that early morning shot of esspresso. Unused by me but some may like it.
I liked it and if you order a jug of hot water it makes a longer coffee for the morning.
Didn't enjoy the coffee Connection on Regent as much as the Coffee Shop on Mariner.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Illy coffee machines in suites are very good but they are "pod" technology so great if you like a strong espresso but maybe not for a latte. We Melburnians know about good coffee and that served in Coffee Connection on Voyager was absolutely fine provided you tell the barista exactly how you want it prepared. I don't think they have the time or technology to roast and blend their own beans but we never had a problem. It's all down to personal taste of course

Old July 19th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is reassuring if they keep this across all ships: we are travelling on the Mariner for 72 nights and I frankly don't function too well before my morning coffee. We even chose our suite partly based on the proximity to Coffee Connection. My husband is the 'barista' at home - always freshly ground and made with our machine - no pods.

I acknowledge that Melbourne is the home of good coffee in Oz and if you guys were fine with the barista with 'guidance' then we should be OK if we can get the Oz standard 'flat white' - my morning staple.

Old July 19th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

When we were on the Voyager in April the barista made the BEST coffees! We stopped in a couple of times a day for our fix! I loved the iced coffee in the afternoon! and the cafe vienna is outstanding!

Old July 19th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

The US trained barista probably won't know what a "flat white" is! I confounded the barista on Navigator last week by asking for a "large strong hot skinny flat white". The look on his face was priceless. US and Aussie coffee terminology is different and the subtle differences in preparation aren't always obvious but if you explain exactly how you like it prepared you'll be fine.

Old July 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscean View Post
I liked it and if you order a jug of hot water it makes a longer coffee for the morning.
Didn't enjoy the coffee Connection on Regent as much as the Coffee Shop on Mariner.
The Coffee Connection on the Mariner is quite a bit larger than on the Voyager (the suites are smaller on the Mariner giving the ship a lot of extra room). I agree that the barristas will do their best to prepare the coffee exactly the way you prefer it.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old July 21st, 2012, 11:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Unfortunately I have never managed to find a good cup of coffee on Regent. No matter how good the beans, or how freshly ground, the bitter taste of the water comes through. Same for tea. I still miss the days when they had a tea menu, served loose leaf of course.

For room service breakfast we order a pot of coffee and two sides of espresso to mix in. On our Amazon we'll have one of the pod machines, but they are still a poor substitute for the beautiful cup we get from our home machine.

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is the coffee/tea better if you use bottled water?

Old July 21st, 2012, 02:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnne B View Post
I still miss the days when they had a tea menu, served loose leaf of course.
They still do this on Seabourn at Afternoon Tea with over 40 different teas available.

Old July 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabourntraveller View Post
They still do this on Seabourn at Afternoon Tea with over 40 different teas available.
They do on Silversea as well.

Old July 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
They do on Silversea as well.
Silver Seas is too "Shi Shi Poo Poo" for me!

Old July 21st, 2012, 04:09 PM
5,000+ Club

Really wish they had loose leaf tea on Regent. Or even the high end tea bags that have full leaf tea inside.

Old July 21st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelG View Post
Really wish they had loose leaf tea on Regent. Or even the high end tea bags that have full leaf tea inside.
RacheG I'll start "collecting" on Seabourn and if we are ever on the same Regent cruise I'll share!

Last edited by Seabourntraveller; July 21st, 2012 at 04:12 PM.

Old July 21st, 2012, 06:40 PM
10,000+ Club

ST: Would like to see or hear about you being on a Regent cruise..... but, predict that you won't love the coffee. When on SS, I only go to the "Shi Shi Poo Poo" tea event to accompany my DH - I'm not much of a tea drinker. After watching him drink tea, he can watch me enjoy my chocolate martini

Old July 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
ST: Would like to see or hear about you being on a Regent cruise..... but, predict that you won't love the coffee. When on SS, I only go to the "Shi Shi Poo Poo" tea event to accompany my DH - I'm not much of a tea drinker. After watching him drink tea, he can watch me enjoy my chocolate martini
Too Funny: I am such a "Coffee Snob" that Seabourn puts a full service Nespresso Machine (usually only in Owner Suites and above) now in my Suite before I board, otherwise Seabourn Square makes a great Americano.
I also meant TC2, that in general SS is too "Shi Shi Poo Poo" for me. TC2, the earliest I see myself on Regent possibly would be at the end of next year for that 45 night Mariner cruise over Xmas and New Years 2013/2014.

Last edited by Seabourntraveller; July 21st, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Old July 21st, 2012, 07:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Why can't a high-end outfit like Regent brew a decent cup of coffee

We're not "coffee connoisseurs" or "baristas", but we do enjoy a decent cup of coffee, which has been difficult (in our opinion, nearer impossible) to get on Regent and Radisson till they introduced the Coffee Corners with the new machines. Forget about Starbucks and other overly expensive knockoffs, if Duncan Donuts, Tim Hortons and even McDonalds can consistently make an excellent cup of coffee quickly and at a fair price, why can't Regent? The stuff they serve in the dining rooms ranges from just ok to awful, and room service, for some unfathomable reason, is only slightly better. Well it is when they remember to fill the carafe (which they failed to do once on each of our most recent Regent cruises!)

It ain't rocket science folks!