Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Cunard Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cunard Line
Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Cunard Cruise Deals.

Old July 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default QM2 Sailaway etc

Only 8 sleeps to go and I wondered what happens during sailaway. Do the bands play, streamers get thrown and theres a lot of hooting and cheering like in the black and white films of yester year?

Old July 19th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by days2do View Post
Only 8 sleeps to go and I wondered what happens during sailaway. Do the bands play, streamers get thrown and theres a lot of hooting and cheering like in the black and white films of yester year?
Hi

There is a band playing on the deck and champagne available to purchase.
Some dancing but no streamers. Lots of people though and a nice atmosphere.
Never seems overcrowded as plenty of space on different levels

Have Fun

Julie

Old July 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
No streamers anymore
No bands on shore unless it's a special cruise but there will be a band on board or music over the loudspeaker system.

If there are other ships in and they pass you should get whistling.
QE2, 1991, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004 (twice) 2005, 2006, 2007 (twice) and 2008 (twice). Caronia 2002 and 2003, QM2 2009 and 2010 (twice) and 2011, QV 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, QE 2012 (twice), 2013.

Last edited by Lanky Lad; July 20th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Old July 20th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Lad View Post
If there are other ships in and they pass you should get whistling.
That depends upon how much leg one is willing to show!

Old July 21st, 2012, 03:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

We had the most fantastic Sailaway from NY last month helped, I am sure , by perfect weather. The Statue of Liberty, Staten Island ferries.......plus the Manahattan skyline. The band played, there was a bit of Pomp and Cirumstance too.....as many others have said going under Verrazano Bridge is a real thrill. We were given flags to wave.

I may be very much mistaken but try as I might I cannot imagine a Sailaway from So'ton having the same allure?

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibobs View Post
We had the most fantastic Sailaway from NY last month helped, I am sure , by perfect weather. The Statue of Liberty, Staten Island ferries.......plus the Manahattan skyline. The band played, there was a bit of Pomp and Cirumstance too.....as many others have said going under Verrazano Bridge is a real thrill. We were given flags to wave.

I may be very much mistaken but try as I might I cannot imagine a Sailaway from So'ton having the same allure?
I was just thinking the same thing! We have experienced Sailaway from NY and it was indeed thrilling!!!
We are sailing out of Soton in October and I was wondering what that might be like....and I am already thinking that as we pull into port in NY, that it will be so early in the morning and possibly foggy, that we won't experience all the beautiful sites!

Can anyone share what Sailaway from Soton is like?

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cunard Countess 1980/S.Caribbean Canaveral Cruise Line 1998/Freeport Bahamas, Carnival Sensation 1999/W. Caribbean, Carnival Paradise 2001/E.Caribbean, RCCL Sov. of Seas 2002/Bahamas, RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2002/Caribbean, RCCL Sov. of the Seas 2002/Bahamas, CCL Imagination 2003/W.Caribbean, RCCL Sov. of the Seas 2004 again/Bahamas, Cunard QM2/Transatlantic, RCCL Sov. of theSeas2005/Bahamas, CCL Glory 2005/E.Caribbean, RCCL Sov. of the Seas-yes, again/Bahamas, RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2007/E. Caribbean, NCL Star 2008/Alaska, RCCL Sov. of the Seas-final time 2008/Bahamas, NCL Star 2009/Alaska, RCCL Monarch of the Seas 2010/Bahamas, Ruby Princess 2010 TA/Med, Grand Princess 2012 /TA-British Isles, RCI Monarch of the Seas 2012/Bahamas, Cunard QM2 2012/Transatlantic, Carnival Fascination 2013/Bahamas, RCI Freedom of the Seas 2013/E. Caribbean.

Last edited by suzyed; July 21st, 2012 at 03:19 PM.

Old July 21st, 2012, 04:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyed View Post
I was just thinking the same thing! We have experienced Sailaway from NY and it was indeed thrilling!!!
We are sailing out of Soton in October and I was wondering what that might be like....and I am already thinking that as we pull into port in NY, that it will be so early in the morning and possibly foggy, that we won't experience all the beautiful sites!

Can anyone share what Sailaway from Soton is like?
It depends upon the weather really, if it is fine it will be held on deck 8 by the pool and it will be pretty good, if it has been or is rainiing it will be held inside by the pool on deck 12 which gets a little bit hot and sticky.

E: private@jmclondon.com

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

John Masefield

My blog can be found at http://thecapnpugwash.wordpress.com/

QE2 1 cruise 7 days
QM2 33 Transatlantics c220 days
QM2 5 cruises 38 days
QE 5 cruises 46 days
QV 6 cruises 74 days
P&O 8 cruises 135 days
Celebrity 1 cruise 12 days
RCIL 1 cruise 18 days
NCL 1 cruise 14 days
Fred Olsen 2 cruises 26 days
MSC 3 cruises 36 days

Future trips

Old July 21st, 2012, 04:41 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Why don't you come and join the roll call http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com...1554933&page=4

E: private@jmclondon.com

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

John Masefield

My blog can be found at http://thecapnpugwash.wordpress.com/

QE2 1 cruise 7 days
QM2 33 Transatlantics c220 days
QM2 5 cruises 38 days
QE 5 cruises 46 days
QV 6 cruises 74 days
P&O 8 cruises 135 days
Celebrity 1 cruise 12 days
RCIL 1 cruise 18 days
NCL 1 cruise 14 days
Fred Olsen 2 cruises 26 days
MSC 3 cruises 36 days

Future trips

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi from Western Canada. My wife and I are doing the 26 day B2B2B cruise on Aug 3, and would love to join your group on Aug 4.

Cheers for now
Lois & Gary

Old July 24th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpugwash View Post
Why don't you come and join the roll call http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com...1554933&page=4
What are you suggesting, meeting a group of like minded people gathered in one location discussing stateroom location, dress and deportment, the difference between the grills and ironing top tips........ Sorry, DW will have me on iceberg lookout (even though theres one the size of Manhatten it might be missed), checking that the bow door has been closed and preventing marine diesel fumes from entering the couchette. Not that shes comparing this crossing with a North Sea ferry in any way!!

Old July 24th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
What are you suggesting, meeting a group of like minded people gathered in one location discussing stateroom location, dress and deportment, the difference between the grills and ironing top tips........ Sorry, DW will have me on iceberg lookout (even though theres one the size of Manhatten it might be missed), checking that the bow door has been closed and preventing marine diesel fumes from entering the couchette. Not that shes comparing this crossing with a North Sea ferry in any way!!
I've been to three roll call meet & greets this year and none of those topics came up. Perhaps we hashed them all out prior to boarding, or perhaps we were all just interested in meeting the people we'd been chatting to for over a year before the cruise.

There are some very nice people on here, if you go you'll probably find that you have a good time - and pick up some great tips for enjoying your cruise.
Queen Mary 2 - Singapore to Brisbane - Sailed on February 9th 2013
Queen Elizabeth - New York to Sydney - Sailed on January 10th 2014

Old July 24th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemarsh View Post
There are some very nice people on here, if you go you'll probably find that you have a good time - and pick up some great tips for enjoying your cruise.
Oh go on, you'll be telling me theres no bow door or couchettes next!!

Ps it was tongue in cheek