Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Asia

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default A Day in Singapore

I hope to be on the Mariner of the Seas when she arrives in Singapore at 6 a.m. on June 1, 2013. My flight doesn't leave until close to midnight. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what my options would be to do a city sightseeing tour during the day and where to have dinner?

Also, I'd appreciate some input as to stowing my luggage for the day; or shall I leave the ship, go to the airport with the luggage, stow it there, and then return to the city for sightseeing?

Thank you in advance!

Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:55 AM
50,000+ Club

I would look at a private tour so that they can keep your luggage.

They can drive you around the city and you can stop in places such as Chinatown and Little India and eat downtown. They can take you to places downtown as well.
You may want to also consider the Singapore Zoo which is about 30 to 45 minutes outside of town.

If you have a TA see if they can arrange this for you.

Keith

Last edited by Keith1010; July 23rd, 2012 at 03:56 AM.

Old August 1st, 2012, 03:57 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

look into a day room at the Marina Sands hotel with that spectaular pool....

Old August 1st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Keith gives a good advice.

However if private tour is not an option, considering you have plenty of time, you may go to airport and store your luggage there.

Now that you are free from luggages, it is easy to go downtown by the very convenient MRT (subway). Stop at Somerset or Orchard station, and explore. Later you can go to Chinatown station and have lunch plus some sightseeing. Evening go to Little India, then off again to airport by MRT.

The zoo is opened at night for the famous Night Safari. However, because of the disance it is best if you are guided by local tour operator.

Enjoy you cruise!
Michael

Reviews :
Norwegian Epic - Trans Atlantic, April 2014
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 2014
Celebrity Solstice - Australia/New Zealand, March 2013
Crystal Symphony - Grand Mediterranean, April 2012

Roll calls :
Mariner of the Seas - Spice of SE Asia, 6 February 2015
Crystal Symphony - Autumn Inspiration, 27 September 2015

Old August 7th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilnwood View Post
I hope to be on the Mariner of the Seas when she arrives in Singapore at 6 a.m. on June 1, 2013. My flight doesn't leave until close to midnight. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what my options would be to do a city sightseeing tour during the day and where to have dinner?

Also, I'd appreciate some input as to stowing my luggage for the day; or shall I leave the ship, go to the airport with the luggage, stow it there, and then return to the city for sightseeing?

Thank you in advance!
Hi Kilnwood,

For dinner, I'm assuming that you are part of a couple. If not then this is probably not for you but if you are with your lady/partner then I highly recommend dinner on the Singapore Flyer. The Flyer is like the London Eye except I believe it's actually bigger. They have a couple of the capsules given over to silver service dining of an evening. We have done this, and will be doing it again pre-cruise in January. You order your meal and drinks online, and then just turn up in nice clothing for a lovely, and very different, eating experience. You have a pre-dinner drink in a lounge and then board the Flyer where you find beautifully set tables with starched linen tablecloths etc, and great service. You enjoy an appetiser and entree as the wheel slowly rotates. When it gets back to its starting position, the main courses are brought on board and you enjoy your main course as the wheel does another circuit. At the end of it you go back into the lounge for dessert and coffee. It really is a special experience, fine dining way up there with those wonderful views, and I can't imagine anybody not loving it. You can check it out at the Singapore Flyer website.

Re things to do during the day, you can always jump on a hop-on/hop-off bus, do a full circuit and then stop off at places that appeal. The duck tours - an amphibious vehicle that drives through the city but then takes to the water (like a duck) for a trip around Boat Quay and Clarke Quay is good fun. Alternatively, a trip in the cable car over to Sentosa Island, Singapore's fun island, makes for a few happy hours, particularly now that they have all the attractions up and running.

Whatever you do, enjoy it in that wonderful city of Singapore.

Cheers,

Old August 7th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Singapore Sightseeing

RAFFLES HOTEL Hotel on Bras Bahah Road . The famous Long Bar is on the First Floor up the back . Partake of the Singapore Sling and shelling your peanuts (shells) on the floor is a tradition . Raffles Museum (Free) also down the back upstairs on the 2nd floor. An outstanding Raffles Souvenir Shop on the Ground Floor off the Garden Courtyard. Nearest MRT Dhoby Ghaut & Bras Bahah .

CHINATOWN - Pagoda Street is the heart of Chinatown from 10am daily .
MRT to Chinatown. Great Souvenir shopping.

LITTLE INDIA - Mainly foods and handcrafts . MRT to Little India.

SHOPPING : On Orchard Road, MRT to Dhoby Ghaut then walk . This is the area to shop for watches and electronics .

BUGIS STREET: A vibrant daytime market, MRT to Bugis Street .

Nearest MRT to Singapore Cruise Centre is Harbourfront.

JURONG BIRD PARK : take the MRT to Boon Lay, walk out end of platform and turn left for bus Interchange . Take Bus # 194 Express to this world famous Bird Park.

NIGHT ZOO SAFARI : This is quite a way out of town . Best done as a tour bookable with most Hotels or with some Cruise Companies.
SS GEMINI Singapore - Hong Kong . 05/2007
SS GEMINI Sydney - Singapore . 01/2008
SS GEMINI Hong Kong - Singapore . 06/2008
SS VIRGO Hong Kong - Singapore . 10/2008
SUN PRINCESS - New Zealand . 01/2009
M.S. AMADOLCE - Amsterdam - Budapest . 06/2009
SUN PRINCESS - Sydney - South Pacific - Sydney . 10/2010
MS. VICTORIA PRINCE - Shanghai - Chong Qing . 10/2009
COSTA CLASSICA - Hong Kong - Japan - Shanghai . 03/2010
OCEAN PRINCESS. Rome - Greek Islands - Athens - Venice . 09/2011
SEA PRINCESS. Sydney - Pacific Crossing - San Francisco. 04/2012
M.S. AMADAGIO . Arles - Lyon . 09/2012