Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Alaskan King Crab Legs on Princess ???

Pardon me for a stupid question, but do they have Alaskan King Crab Legs on Princess Cruises to Alaska ... or do they just serve Maine or African Lobster? What other Alaskan seafood do they serve?

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were just on the Sapphire Princess to Alaska, and sadly, they are no longer serving King Crab legs, not even as an appetizer.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were just in Alaska and there were no Alaskan King Crab Legs. But boy did we buy and eat our share in different restaurants in Alaska (expensive, but so good!).

There was a seafood buffet by the pool for lunch and we decided to go check it out. Unfortunately, there was a bad seafood smell that hit us as we approached and it totally turned us off. We saw salmon that was grey with some sort of pudding looking topping. The salmon was probably poached with a topping. We also saw lots of sushi. Personally, I don't think sushi when I see Alaskan Seafood Buffet advertised in the patter. But the day they served reindeer chili, it was good! I'm still going through all my pictures, but I'll have a full review about Sapphire Princess starting hopefully this weekend.

Hawaiian Islands roundtrip out of San Francisco

Transatlantic from Barcelona to Miami

Last edited by Love.II.Cruise; July 23rd, 2012 at 11:55 PM.

Old July 24th, 2012, 12:17 AM
10,000+ Club

LOL, I had to laugh when I saw this topic, it is almost like - Customer, 'Waiter, do you have frog legs?' waiter's reply "No, I always walk like this.'

Last edited by MicCanberra; July 24th, 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,

I Watson the Sea for 10 days to Alaska and those menus can have more items than a 7 day. We did not see ant type of crab legs, very sad.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTraveler76 View Post
Hi,

I Watson the Sea for 10 days to Alaska and those menus can have more items than a 7 day. We did not see ant type of crab legs, very sad.
I have Crab legs after about 10 drinks, I seem to walk sideways quite a bit then.

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.II.Cruise View Post
We were just in Alaska and there were no Alaskan King Crab Legs. But boy did we buy and eat our share in different restaurants in Alaska (expensive, but so good!).

The legs are more expensive in AK than in WA- I bet they are shipped up from WA.
The AK food offerings on the Star two weeks ago were surprisingly bad. Wife said salmon was inedible, it looked farm raised too, there was some appetizer that had crab and other things (roe?) spam'ed up, orange roughy was mushy, halibut was good.
My advice- before boarding, go to the fish market at the Pike Market (the place famous for throwing fish) and get a cup of dungeness crab cocktail ( I think it was $12).

Old July 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post
The legs are more expensive in AK than in WA- I bet they are shipped up from WA.
The AK food offerings on the Star two weeks ago were surprisingly bad. Wife said salmon was inedible, it looked farm raised too, there was some appetizer that had crab and other things (roe?) spam'ed up, orange roughy was mushy, halibut was good.
My advice- before boarding, go to the fish market at the Pike Market (the place famous for throwing fish) and get a cup of dungeness crab cocktail ( I think it was $12).
Actually, we asked about them being shipped from the lower 48 and they said no. But I don't know if it was truth or not. But usually crab legs are cooked then frozen and then thawed and reheated. So if they are shipped around it shouldn't make a difference... I say shouldn't but disagree with that. When we buy frozen king crab on the east coast there are mushy parts. This was not the case in Alaska.

Either way, most were great, there was only one place I would not recommend and it was in Ketchikan. I'll be posting a full review within a week.

Hawaiian Islands roundtrip out of San Francisco

Transatlantic from Barcelona to Miami

Old July 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Alas, I'm a fish and seafood lover and was hoping that the food would be more indigenous. I was dreaming of salmon, halibut, cod and seafood like crab, scallops, clams perhaps a nice French meal starting with escargot for a change... This is our first Princess cruise and the menus aren't really speaking to me, but I'm sure like any cruise I'll 'find food' no problem.

Old July 24th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicCanberra View Post
LOL, I had to laugh when I saw this topic, it is almost like - Customer, 'Waiter, do you have frog legs?' waiter's reply "No, I always walk like this.'
I remember it as "waiter do you have frogs legs"and after an an affirmative response the next line was"please hop out to the kitchen and get me a steak"!
Royal Princess -2014 NY to FLL
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2014 Transatlantic
Royal Princess 2014 Caribbean
Royal Princess 2013 Transatlantic
Emerald Princess 2013 Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2012 Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2012 Caribbean
Hal Noordam 2012 Caribbean
Grand Princess 2011 Transatlantic
Grand Princess 2011 Caribbean
Emerald Princess 2010 Caribbean
Emerald Princess 2010 Caribbean
Star Princess 2010 Transatlantic
Crown Princess 2010 Caribbean
Crown Princess 2010 Caribbean
Emerald Princess 2009 Caribbean
Star Princess 2009 Alaska
Coral Princess 2009 Panama Canal
Sapphire Princess 2008 Mexican Riviera
Carribean Princess 2008 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 2008 Caribbean
Emerald Princess 2008 Caribbean
Emerald Princess 2008 Caribbean
Sea Princess 2007 Mediterrean
Sea Princess 2007 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 2006 Caribbean
Sea Princess 2006 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 2005 Caribbean
Island Princess 2005 Hawaii
Island Princess 2004 Panama Canal
Island Princess 2004 Panama Canal
Island Princess 2003 Panama Canal
Golden Princess 2003 Caribbean
Grand Princess 2002 Caribbean
Star Princess 2002 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess 2002 Mexican Riviera
Sea Princess 2001 Caribbean
Sea Princess 2001 Caribbean
Grand Princess 2000Caribbean
Grand Princess 2000 Caribbean
Splendour of the Seas 1999 Caribbean
Rhapsody of the Seas 1997 Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas 1994 Caribbean
Premier Oceanic 1988 Caribbean
Cunard Princess 1985 Mexican Rivera
Cunard Princess 1984 Mexican Riviera
Cunard Princess 1983 Caribbean

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.II.Cruise View Post
Actually, we asked about them being shipped from the lower 48 and they said no. But I don't know if it was truth or not. But usually crab legs are cooked then frozen and then thawed and reheated. So if they are shipped around it shouldn't make a difference... I say shouldn't but disagree with that. When we buy frozen king crab on the east coast there are mushy parts. This was not the case in Alaska.

Either way, most were great, there was only one place I would not recommend and it was in Ketchikan. I'll be posting a full review within a week.
Our tour guide told us that fish used in the fish and chips was shipped in.When I was in college, I had a neighbor who was a crab potter and would come home with live crabs, tossed them straight into the pot, that's the way to eat them!

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:41 AM
20,000+ Club

I can't say I would miss the King crab legs, the King crab season is very short so what you get in the spring and summer is a frozen product and crab never freezes well. I also find King crab salty and it is difficult to eat in a dining room setting.

Given the choice between King crab and Dungeness crab I will pick Dungeness every time.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old July 25th, 2012, 02:32 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmik1 View Post
I remember it as "waiter do you have frogs legs"and after an an affirmative response the next line was"please hop out to the kitchen and get me a steak"!
LOL, I haven't heard that one before,

Old July 25th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putterdude View Post
I can't say I would miss the King crab legs, the King crab season is very short so what you get in the spring and summer is a frozen product and crab never freezes well. I also find King crab salty and it is difficult to eat in a dining room setting.

Given the choice between King crab and Dungeness crab I will pick Dungeness every time.
We're from the S.F. Bay Area, and Dungeness Crab is part of what makes Winter great! We've tried King Crab recently & have decided NO on that. Salty & nowhere near the flavor of Dungeness. Crab will no longer be a must have on our cruise, since Dungeness is a regular part of our Winter menu. We'll be on the hunt for other Alaskan fare now.

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwakr View Post
Alas, I'm a fish and seafood lover and was hoping that the food would be more indigenous. I was dreaming of salmon, halibut, cod and seafood like crab, scallops, clams perhaps a nice French meal starting with escargot for a change... This is our first Princess cruise and the menus aren't really speaking to me, but I'm sure like any cruise I'll 'find food' no problem.
For everyone posting about food, this will be our second Alaskan cruise, you can get the escargot on any cruise I believe, you have to ask for them, I think the same is for the crab legs, will have to try

Diamond Princess 7-2008
Caribbean Princess 9-2009
DisneyWonder 3-2010
Ruby Princess 11-2010
Golden Princess 09-2012

Old July 25th, 2012, 12:37 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynursem View Post
For everyone posting about food, this will be our second Alaskan cruise, you can get the escargot on any cruise I believe, you have to ask for them, I think the same is for the crab legs, will have to try
Apparently escargot is disappearing (due to the high cost this year/shortage?) and no Alaskan King Crab Legs were to be had on on my 2 weeks in Alaska this year. They no longer provide it.

Our ship still had some escargot available but others reported they were out and no longer ordering it until the shortage/cost goes down. I don't eat escargot and don't remember the exact specifics but it is disappearing from many ships right now.

Last edited by Coral; July 25th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Old July 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Apparently escargot is disappearing (due to the high cost this year/shortage?) and no Alaskan King Crab Legs were to be had on on my 2 weeks in Alaska this year. They no longer provide it.

Our ship still had some escargot available but others reported they were out and no longer ordering it until the shortage/cost goes down. I don't eat escargot and don't remember the exact specifics but it is disappearing from many ships right now.
I would imagine the shortage is happening at a snail's pace.

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM
5,000+ Club

I can tell you where to get probably the best King Crab you have ever eaten.

It is at Tracy's King Crab Shack just behind the library in Juneau and it is very close to the pier area.

http://www.kingcrabshack.com/

I can safely promise you that if you like King Crab you will not be disappointed.

Mike

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhopal21 View Post
I can tell you where to get probably the best King Crab you have ever eaten.

It is at Tracy's King Crab Shack just behind the library in Juneau and it is very close to the pier area.

http://www.kingcrabshack.com/

I can safely promise you that if you like King Crab you will not be disappointed.

Mike
Cool, I will have to look them up and try it when I am there in October.

Old July 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
5,000+ Club

King Crab was served on my Emerald cruises, but the idiot head chef served them in a beef based broth.
Imagine what they tasted like. YUCK!!!
2000 Mercury W. Caribbean
2000 Volendam S. Caribbean
2001 Viking Star Danube River
2001 Veendam E. Caribbean
2002 Veendam B2B Alaska
2003 Zuiderdam B2B W/E Caribbean
2004 Maasdam E. Caribbean
2005 Grand Princess W. Caribbean,
2005 RVI Europe
2005 Veendam S. Caribbean
2006 Grand Princess W. Caribbean