Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Disney Cruise Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Disney Cruise Line
Read Disney Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Disney Cruise Deals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 24th, 2012, 04:04 PM
baadbee baadbee is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 56
Default Child "management" on Disney

We haven't cruised before but my DW is of the opinion that Disney can be a good line for people without kids because of the designated adult only areas and their excellent child "management". I'm more skeptical and inclined to think that another line like HAL or Princess might suit us better. We are a childless couple in our late 40's with limited tolerance for noisy kids. We aren't nasty, just like our peace and quiet and won't be interested in any kid focused entertainment.

Specifically I am thinking of the Disney repo 6 day cruise from Vancouver to LA on September 10th. Would the kid volume for that timing and itinerary be so low that it's not really a factor?

If you've cruised multiple lines without kids let me know whether you think Disney is good for childless, and occasionally irritable , couples. Do their efforts to provide facilities for kids actually make them better than say NCL even when there are more kids on board?

Last edited by baadbee; July 24th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old July 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Shmoo here's Avatar
Shmoo here Shmoo here is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadbee View Post
We haven't cruised before but my DW is of the opinion that Disney can be a good line for people without kids because of the designated adult only areas and their excellent child "management". I'm more skeptical and inclined to think that another line like HAL or Princess might suit us better. We are a childless couple in our late 40's with limited tolerance for noisy kids. We aren't nasty, just like our peace and quiet and won't be interested in any kid focused entertainment.

Specifically I am thinking of the Disney repo 6 day cruise from Vancouver to LA on September 10th. Would the kid volume for that timing and itinerary be so low that it's not really a factor?

If you've cruised multiple lines without kids let me know whether you think Disney is good for childless, and occasionally irritable , couples. Do their efforts to provide facilities for kids actually make them better than say NCL even when there are more kids on board?
We've done 5 cruises on DCL. First 3 just DH & I. Last 2 with our "kids" - also adults.

While we tend to cruise mostly the longer, during schooltime cruises, there have been children on all our cruises. The kids have never really been a problem. The worst time we had was on our Dec MR cruise with a Kids Sail Free promo. There were LOTS of kids. And they only were a problem at the show in the main theatre. Lots of kids and no parents in attendance.

The adult-only areas onboard are enforced. Better (from my understanding) then some other cruiseline adult-only areas. On our last cruise we had our 18 year old with us. They "carded" him for the first 3 days in the adult pool area until they got to know him. I've seen under 18s asked to leave the adult only clubs. And there was a group of (my estimate) 12-13 year olds who attempted to take up residence in the hot tub at the adult pool. CM was there immediatly directing them to the family pool area.

__________________
DCLHAL Carnival
10 Cruises, 6 ships, 106 nights
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old July 24th, 2012, 04:32 PM
gometros's Avatar
gometros gometros is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 759
Default

What Shmoo said. We've cruised twice with teenage children and the other five times by our selves. On an eastern itinerary, we changed from St. Thomas to Nassau due to storm activity. I wasn't interested in Nassau and decided to stay on board. I had the adult pool to myself for a while, when all of a sudden, a man showed up with his two young boys. No sooner did they get in the pool, than a uniformed CM cam and politely told them they weren't allowed. I've never seen children in adult areas where they don't belong at the pool or in the clubs.
__________________
Sandy

Carnival Fantasy 12/96
Disney Magic 8/98, 11/01, 7/03, 10/08, 9/12, 10/14, 10/14
Disney Wonder 7/00, 10/06
Disney Fantasy 9/12, 9/13
Carnival Legend 9/06

QM2 11/09
Carnival Freedom 9/10
Sapphire Princess 6/13



Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Tonka's Skipper Tonka's Skipper is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo here View Post
We've done 5 cruises on DCL. First 3 just DH & I. Last 2 with our "kids" - also adults.

While we tend to cruise mostly the longer, during schooltime cruises, there have been children on all our cruises. The kids have never really been a problem. The worst time we had was on our Dec MR cruise with a Kids Sail Free promo. There were LOTS of kids. And they only were a problem at the show in the main theatre. Lots of kids and no parents in attendance.

The adult-only areas onboard are enforced. Better (from my understanding) then some other cruiseline adult-only areas. On our last cruise we had our 18 year old with us. They "carded" him for the first 3 days in the adult pool area until they got to know him. I've seen under 18s asked to leave the adult only clubs. And there was a group of (my estimate) 12-13 year olds who attempted to take up residence in the hot tub at the adult pool. CM was there immediatly directing them to the family pool area.

This!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Ardie12's Avatar
Ardie12 Ardie12 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 242
Default

I took a Carnival Cruise out of Baltimore last summer. The weather was a bit chilly so the "all ages" hot tub became the pool for the younger set. There were kids in there with swim rings and water wings. It was impossible to use with any expectation for relaxing. That said, they were VERY good about enforcing the no kids rules in the adults only section at the back of the ship.
We're going on a cruise this November and chose to go two weeks before Thanksgiving with the hope that it a bit less kid-heavy. I've got two kids myself who are now older teens. Ever since they were small, I've pushed the "have fun, but don't deprive other people of having fun" manifesto on them; I wish more parents would do the same. We never cruised DM as the idea of a cruise that caters to kids gives me chills.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Shmoo here's Avatar
Shmoo here Shmoo here is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardie12 View Post
I took a Carnival Cruise out of Baltimore last summer. The weather was a bit chilly so the "all ages" hot tub became the pool for the younger set. There were kids in there with swim rings and water wings. It was impossible to use with any expectation for relaxing. That said, they were VERY good about enforcing the no kids rules in the adults only section at the back of the ship.
We're going on a cruise this November and chose to go two weeks before Thanksgiving with the hope that it a bit less kid-heavy. I've got two kids myself who are now older teens. Ever since they were small, I've pushed the "have fun, but don't deprive other people of having fun" manifesto on them; I wish more parents would do the same. We never cruised DM as the idea of a cruise that caters to kids gives me chills.
I'm sorry you feel that way. As someone who has cruise DCL several times, I find they don't cater just to the kids. There's plenty for adults to do, also. As I said, we've done 5 DCL cruises, and we still haven't done everything that's available to be done onboard.

__________________
DCLHAL Carnival
10 Cruises, 6 ships, 106 nights
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:31 PM
shanley shanley is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 224
Default

Although Disney does a good job keeping the kids out of the adult areas and keeping the kids very occupied, you could certainly find cruises with way less kids.

My dad loves to cruise Disney and enjoys all the adult areas. He cruised Princess in Sept NY to Canada. He said there was only a handful of kids on the ship. He prefers Disney service to Princess, but as for no kids it was the way to go.

The itinerary you picked might be a good choice with less kids.

My concern for you might be entertainment. If you are not big Disney fans, you may not enjoy the shows. There is lots of things for adults to do, but the theatrical shows are Disney themed. I love them! But I am a Disney fan.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
Sharon HS

Carnival Ecstasy May 1993 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic Nov 2010 Western Caribbean
Carnival Breeze June 2012 Mediterranean
Norwegian Epic Dec 2013 Easter Caribbean (almost there)
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM
ducklite ducklite is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Orlando but California Dreaming
Posts: 10,004
Default

I've cruised three lines, four ships. We had our son with us for some of the cruises, but he was always too old to really qualify as a "kid."

On the Disney Magic we almost never saw the kids. It was liked they had been swept into some time warp. The adult areas were kept blissfully adult.

On the RCCL Mariner the kids were every where and out of control.

On the Disney Dream there was a slightly larger kid presence than we found on the Magic, but possibly because it was a shorter cruise and we didn't make Castaway due to weather, so everyone was a little restless.

On the Windstar Wind Surf there wasn't a single kid.

While we aren't ruling out cruising DCL again, it's going to be a long time from now. The itineraries are pretty much "been there, done that" and we'd rather be on a much smaller ship for Europe and Alaska for any number of reasons.

If we were inclined to go back to the Caribbean, we'd absolutely consider DCL though.
__________________
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens

Still to come...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia


I spent three weeks in Europe with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag and never missed all the "stuff" I didn't bring. See how I did it here.


Last edited by ducklite; July 24th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:57 PM
jlat's Avatar
jlat jlat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadbee View Post
We haven't cruised before but my DW is of the opinion that Disney can be a good line for people without kids because of the designated adult only areas and their excellent child "management". I'm more skeptical and inclined to think that another line like HAL or Princess might suit us better. We are a childless couple in our late 40's with limited tolerance for noisy kids. We aren't nasty, just like our peace and quiet and won't be interested in any kid focused entertainment.

Specifically I am thinking of the Disney repo 6 day cruise from Vancouver to LA on September 10th. Would the kid volume for that timing and itinerary be so low that it's not really a factor?

If you've cruised multiple lines without kids let me know whether you think Disney is good for childless, and occasionally irritable , couples. Do their efforts to provide facilities for kids actually make them better than say NCL even when there are more kids on board?
That time of year, most schools are back in session so there would be less kids. I disagree about DCL doing a good job at patrolling the adult areas. Every DCL cruise I've been on, there have been kids in the adult pool and in the adult coffee cafe. Strollers, kids with swimmies etc. DCL isn't going to press the issue because it may irk paying customers. Unless the the itinerary is just something that you have to do, I would personally look at other lines.
__________________
Past
RCI Jewel of the Seas -April '14 S. Caribbean
NCL Jewel - Alaska August '13
DCL
Dream
August '12 - Caribbean
NCL Sun
April '12 - Caribbean
DCL Magic July '11 - Mediterranean
DCL Magic August '10 - Northern Europe Repo
NCL Pride of America Aug '08 Hawaii
DCL Wonder April 06 - Caribbean



Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:16 PM
baadbee baadbee is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 56
Default

Thanks for the responses. I still haven't made up my mind. I'm considering this as a way to get to LA without flying since the DW hates it. We've driven and taken the train but I was suprised how affordable the repo cruises are. The 3 day Princess (or was it NCL?) was less than $100 a day and comparable to the cost of driving when you factor in meals at decent restaurants and a motel stay. I've done that west coast long distance drive about 6 times now, I think I'm done. DCL is in the picture because of a great itinerary with a two day stop in San Francisco, the only available west coast port that really interests me. It's a 6 day so more of a real addition to the holiday rather than just transport. As for other possible ports, I've driven through Astoria OR plenty of times, nice enough little town but it's like devoting a cruise day to the next town over from where you live...

The main choice is a quicky 3 day with no stops or 6 days on DCL and possible kiddy annoyance (I'm probably overstating that).
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:38 AM
ducklite ducklite is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Orlando but California Dreaming
Posts: 10,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
That time of year, most schools are back in session so there would be less kids. I disagree about DCL doing a good job at patrolling the adult areas. Every DCL cruise I've been on, there have been kids in the adult pool and in the adult coffee cafe. Strollers, kids with swimmies etc. DCL isn't going to press the issue because it may irk paying customers. Unless the the itinerary is just something that you have to do, I would personally look at other lines.
We didn't see any of that on our DCL cruises, in fact just the opposite. DCL staff we very proactive about keeping kids out of the adults areas. The exception was kids cutting through the adult pool area on the Dream. Not hanging around, but cutting through. They need to be more proactive about resolving that issue for sure.
__________________
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens

Still to come...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia


I spent three weeks in Europe with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag and never missed all the "stuff" I didn't bring. See how I did it here.

Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:49 AM
dexddd dexddd is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadbee View Post
Thanks for the responses. I still haven't made up my mind. I'm considering this as a way to get to LA without flying since the DW hates it. We've driven and taken the train but I was suprised how affordable the repo cruises are. The 3 day Princess (or was it NCL?) was less than $100 a day and comparable to the cost of driving when you factor in meals at decent restaurants and a motel stay. I've done that west coast long distance drive about 6 times now, I think I'm done. DCL is in the picture because of a great itinerary with a two day stop in San Francisco, the only available west coast port that really interests me. It's a 6 day so more of a real addition to the holiday rather than just transport. As for other possible ports, I've driven through Astoria OR plenty of times, nice enough little town but it's like devoting a cruise day to the next town over from where you live...

The main choice is a quicky 3 day with no stops or 6 days on DCL and possible kiddy annoyance (I'm probably overstating that).
You could try NCL, they have Jewel and Pearl going to LA late Sept. Generally speaking would be less kids. Did this route a couple years ago and only about 60 kids in total on NCL.
__________________






NCL Skyward - 1984
Princess - Pacific Princess 1985
Cunard Countess - ? 1986
Carnival - ? 1989
RCCL - ? 1994
NCL - PoA 2006
NCL - Spirit 2007
DCL - Wonder 2007
NCL - Gem 2008
DCL - Magic 2009
NCL - Star Pacific Coastal Sep 2009
NCL - Sun Baltics June 2010 12 nts 0067
DCL - Dream Mar 2011 4 nts
DCL - Dream Apr 2011 3 nts (b2b) 9674
NCL - Star Alaska Aug 2011 12002
NCL - Dawn Bermuda June 2012 10006
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old July 25th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Tonka's Skipper Tonka's Skipper is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
That time of year, most schools are back in session so there would be less kids. I disagree about DCL doing a good job at patrolling the adult areas. Every DCL cruise I've been on, there have been kids in the adult pool and in the adult coffee cafe. Strollers, kids with swimmies etc. DCL isn't going to press the issue because it may irk paying customers. Unless the the itinerary is just something that you have to do, I would personally look at other lines.

Funny....4 dcl cruises and never had a problem with the kids. In fact the folks we were with the last trip on the magic remarked how great the CM's were in politely keeping the adult areas, adult!

AKK
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:02 PM
jlat's Avatar
jlat jlat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Funny....4 dcl cruises and never had a problem with the kids. In fact the folks we were with the last trip on the magic remarked how great the CM's were in politely keeping the adult areas, adult!

AKK
Funny indeed.....I've seen kids camped out with toys in the cove cafe while the parents chat in chairs. I've seen older kids (10-13) swimming and sunning by the adult pool. Not one CM in sight. They definitely could improve this.
__________________
Past
RCI Jewel of the Seas -April '14 S. Caribbean
NCL Jewel - Alaska August '13
DCL
Dream
August '12 - Caribbean
NCL Sun
April '12 - Caribbean
DCL Magic July '11 - Mediterranean
DCL Magic August '10 - Northern Europe Repo
NCL Pride of America Aug '08 Hawaii
DCL Wonder April 06 - Caribbean



Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM
poncho1973's Avatar
poncho1973 poncho1973 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadbee View Post
We are a childless couple in our late 40's with limited tolerance for noisy kids. We aren't nasty, just like our peace and quiet and won't be interested in any kid focused entertainment.
We are a younger version of you. We've done DCL twice and have booked another. I have very little patience for kids in adult places. I don't go to the kids club because I don't belong there. They don't belong in my adult area.

I haven't been disappointed on DCL. Stunning job.
__________________


I have been on 2,847 cruises, so you should listen to, and believe, everything I say.

RHENIUM LEVEL CRUISER
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:19 PM
poncho1973's Avatar
poncho1973 poncho1973 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Funny indeed.....I've seen kids camped out with toys in the cove cafe while the parents chat in chairs. I've seen older kids (10-13) swimming and sunning by the adult pool. Not one CM in sight. They definitely could improve this.
You should've grabbed a CM. They are well-trained on handling this and should do so immediately.
__________________


I have been on 2,847 cruises, so you should listen to, and believe, everything I say.

RHENIUM LEVEL CRUISER
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
bethc1952's Avatar
bethc1952 bethc1952 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Deal, NJ
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklite View Post
We didn't see any of that on our DCL cruises, in fact just the opposite. DCL staff we very proactive about keeping kids out of the adults areas. The exception was kids cutting through the adult pool area on the Dream. Not hanging around, but cutting through. They need to be more proactive about resolving that issue for sure.
We're an older couple who just finished our 13th DCL cruise, one with our son and his family, all the others were just the two of us.

Only once in all of those cruises have we ever seen a child in the adult pool, and a CM was there to handle the situation before the child was fully wet! We've never seen them at the Cove Cafe or in any areas around the pool, other than just passing through. On Dream that's a problem, but it's due to the layout of the ship, and the CM's just keep the families moving along. On Magic, some families do use the forward elevators and then have to walk through the adult area, but I've never seen anyone lingering.

I'm sure there are some cruises where there have been problems with kids in adult areas, but we've been fortunate enough not to have run into them. As long as DCL can keep things this way, we'll continue to enjoy our DCL cruises.

Beth
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
lubyshell's Avatar
lubyshell lubyshell is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 233
Default

We put our daughter in the kids club, actually she puts herself there, she loves it and me and the wife go hang out at the adult only pool area, I cannot remember ever having an issue or seeing an issue. Yes, you may see families walking thru the area if the took the elevator to the topside area and walk back to where they r looking for but that is not really a problem in my mind, people and kids should be able to walk thru an area, more of a design flaw... Yes, I have seen kids that know their parents are at adult pool go in to ask them something or whatever, again, hardly a problem. Are the parents not supposed to hang out in the adult pool because some ppl will get annoyed if their kids come in there looking for them ?? They do a good job at policing and making sure the kids are not in the adult areas hanging out !!! Do you walk thru the kids areas to get someplace on the ship ?? Go on your cruise, let the cruise line worry about policing adult areas and have a great time...
__________________





Norwegian Pearl March 2013
Disney Fantasy Aug 2012
Norwegian Gem July 2011
Disney Magic February 2010
Disney Wonder July 2009
Carnival Glory July 2008
Carnival Liberty August 2007
Disney Wonder July 2006
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
gometros's Avatar
gometros gometros is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Funny indeed.....I've seen kids camped out with toys in the cove cafe while the parents chat in chairs. I've seen older kids (10-13) swimming and sunning by the adult pool. Not one CM in sight. They definitely could improve this.
Sorry, but I just find that very difficult to believe. I've been on DCL seven times and have never seen kids in the adult pool. From all the years of following the DIS boards, I've never heard any witnesses to kids in the adult pool.
__________________
Sandy

Carnival Fantasy 12/96
Disney Magic 8/98, 11/01, 7/03, 10/08, 9/12, 10/14, 10/14
Disney Wonder 7/00, 10/06
Disney Fantasy 9/12, 9/13
Carnival Legend 9/06

QM2 11/09
Carnival Freedom 9/10
Sapphire Princess 6/13



Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:00 PM
jlat's Avatar
jlat jlat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometros View Post
Sorry, but I just find that very difficult to believe. I've been on DCL seven times and have never seen kids in the adult pool. From all the years of following the DIS boards, I've never heard any witnesses to kids in the adult pool.
I'm not all that worried about it either way, but I don't appreciate you calling me out about it though. I know what I saw, I was there and you weren't. If you didn't see them on your cruise that's fine. I did, on more than one occasion. I don't see the Disboard as true objective resources either.
__________________
Past
RCI Jewel of the Seas -April '14 S. Caribbean
NCL Jewel - Alaska August '13
DCL
Dream
August '12 - Caribbean
NCL Sun
April '12 - Caribbean
DCL Magic July '11 - Mediterranean
DCL Magic August '10 - Northern Europe Repo
NCL Pride of America Aug '08 Hawaii
DCL Wonder April 06 - Caribbean



Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.