Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 24th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Must have culinary items to buy in each port

Hello everyone,

We have just booked an Eastern Med cruise for Sept.2013 on the new Reflection. We'll be in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, Ephesus and Naples.

In Europe last year I was excited to bring home items from each country that I could use for cooking - i loaded up with saffron and paprika in Spain, olive oil, meats, cheeses and chestnut honey in Italy, mustards and spices in France.

Thinking ahead to this trip I am wondering what local treasures I should be on the hunt for. Immediately I think of oregano and honey in Greece, pistashios and spices in Turkey...lemoncello and maybe preserved lemons in Naples.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance....Melissa

Celebrity Reflection - Nov.1, 2014
Norwegian Jewel - Feb.23, 2014
Celebrity Reflection - Sept.9, 2013
Norwegian Star - Jan. 20, 2013
Celebrity Elipse - Jan.21, 2012

Old July 26th, 2012, 02:42 AM
10,000+ Club

I know what you should not buy is any pre-packaged Turkish Delight candy. Oh my goodness, it was awful. I've heard the fresh stuff at bazaars is OK but anything sole pre-packaged in a box is a waste of money and tastes absolutely awful. Very disappointed to have bought boxes for co-workers... so glad to have opened one ahead of time because I would not have wanted them to touch it. Ugh.

In one of the countries we visited (Greece?) I bought some local pasta for mere pennies.. (mere Euros!). Very inexpensive and a nice reminder.

Up next:

RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

RCI - Explorer of the Seas Nov 2014 Repo/S. Caribbean - 40 ft. rogue wave, lifeboat damage
Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old July 26th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great thread!

Suggestions for the Carribean, anyone?

Old July 27th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have no suggestions, since I haven't gone yet, but I love the idea! We're doing a very similar itinerary, so am interested to hear what responses you get.

Chestnut honey sounds very intriguing - is that something commonly found in Italy, or did you have to search it out? Did you get it at any specific place?

Old July 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Chestnut Honey

Saffy12......

We had an anti pasta tray in a restaurant called Cavour 313 (Rome) and it had the most amazing honey on it. With us speaking very little Italian and our server very little English, he was able to explain it was chestnut honey or miele di castagno.

It's created by bees who live and eat the nectar of nothing but chestnut trees and it was the most flavourful honey I have ever had.

We first saw it for sale at a quaint little shop in Orvietto and bought 20 tiny jars as souviniers for co-workers. We also found a honey store not far from the Trevi Fountain and again found it in a grocery store. Had we not eaten it I would never have known it existed....thus this thread!

Hopefully people share what local treasures they have found.

On a side note, this also reminds me of our lunch in Madrid - we had a cheese tray and one cheese in particular was delicious. I was attempting to ask our server what it was and he was trying to explain it to me when he gave me the "just a minute" finger motion. He returned to the table a few minutes later with the actual label from the cheese wheel itself and gave it to me to take home.

It was my first taste of manchego cheese and its now one of my favs. I drove my husband crazy the rest of the trip smelling this label every now and then as it smelled delicious.

Don't be afraid to ask if you like something...people are excited to share their local goodies.

Celebrity Reflection - Nov.1, 2014
Norwegian Jewel - Feb.23, 2014
Celebrity Reflection - Sept.9, 2013
Norwegian Star - Jan. 20, 2013
Celebrity Elipse - Jan.21, 2012

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh, thanks! I will definitely keep my eyes out for chestnut honey while we're in Italy on our upcoming cruise!

Old July 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmaija View Post
Great thread!

--Rum cakes from the Caymans.
--Jamaica: real jerk spice(s), Blue Mtn coffee, Appleton Rum
--Cozumel/Costa Maya--pure vanilla extract (make sure the label states "contains no coumarin" which is an artificial additive that can cause liver and kidney damage.) The stuff at Los Cinco Soles is par for the course and was not expensive last I'd heard--their website store offers a 500ml "pint" for around $26 USD, but I think the onsite price will be much lower. Get a lot, give it to friends as gifts.
--Belize: Belikan beer, although this may be available in some states.

Ok, tell me one more time...WHERE am I going, and WHY am I in this handbasket...?

Old August 4th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I second the Blue Mountain Coffee in Jamaica and add white-over proof rum

Haven't been yet, but I heard Cashew Wine in Belize too.

Good idea for a thread! BF loves to cook so I will keep checking back for suggestions!

Emerald Princess Jan 2010- St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Grand Turk (Princess Cays cancelled due to wind).

Carnival Triumph Dec 2009- Ocho Rios-Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Old August 5th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

In Greece, try to get olive wood spoons or olive wood salad set. These are really workhorses in the kitchen. I have a whole drawer with them that I pick up each visit and save and savor for cooking with - they last forever. Love the Greek honey and you can get it in small cans that make transporting easier. Also, look for different salts. I got some in France that was fabulous and some in Barcelona too.

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Barbados!

Barbados - Delish Bajan sauce -- red or yellow. If we don't bring a new bottle back to each of the kids, we're in trouble. The red sauce is hotter than the yellow.

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Will you be on a private tour on Santorini or one of the ship's? If you are in control I can dig up the name of a small market that our guide took us to where we purchased sun-dried tomato sauce and some other local foodie treasures. I believe it was Anna's. It was off the beaten path and one that a large bus probably would not include in their itinerary. I did bring back some Oregano from Santorini but it wasn't as easy to find as I expected.

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Haven't been to any of these ports, but I had to comment that this is a Great Thread!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old September 9th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Belize Cashew wine is EXCELLENT! Delcious & Powerful! We always come home with as much as possible! (Also their coffee, and lovely things from inlaid woods, such as rolling pins...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeny25 View Post
I second the Blue Mountain Coffee in Jamaica and add white-over proof rum

Haven't been yet, but I heard Cashew Wine in Belize too.

Good idea for a thread! BF loves to cook so I will keep checking back for suggestions!
1993 - present: Official USCG Artist."Cruises" in NY, Maine, AK, & PR! Underway with Cutters inc. USCGC Penobscot Bay & USCGC Sturgeon Bay. Icebreaking Ops on the Hudson are THE best cruises!
2005 - Hurricane Katrina, FEMA Community Relations; bridges were down & I came into St.Bernard, LA on the Cajun Queen...
4/2008 - Honeymoon Cruises: Mekong Delta & Halong Bay, Vietnam
2/2010 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas
1/2011 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas

Old September 9th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Caribbean:
Cashew Wine from Belize is Excellent!!! (So is their coffee).
Locally made Jerk sauces in Jamaica were a must-buy for us...
We always bring back the local coffee, hot pepper sauces, spices, condiments, and local alcohol- not just different rums- even if it comes in a plastic bottle (Costa Rica)! (I have become VERY good at packing glass in our suitcases: first I double-bagged each bottle in plastic bags, then wrap them in our clothing and/or towels- the trick is that the suitcase must be packed as tight as a drum and the bottles must not bang into each other. We came back from Israel & Italy with over 36 glass bottles of foods, oil, honey, spices and wine in our suitcase and nothing was broken! Everyone has a skill: hubby is a chef- my skill is apparently packing glass in our clothes. LOL )
Mexico has an "aphrodesiac" liquer with a nice, gentle licorice taste: Xtabentun
We LOVED the jars of colorful mixed wildly wonderfully hot peppers we got in Cartagena, Columbia- and also their coffee... Fun to get coffee in each port and then do a "tasting" when you get home to compare them... fun to do that with the hot peppers and booze, too. LOL

For our upcoming Carib trip I heard we Must get All Things Nutmeg in Grenada... and Must eat a "cutter" (flying fish sandwich) in Barbados and buy the "green seasoning" in the market!
Also heard we Must go to the Castries Food & Craft Market in St. Lucia as it's #3 in the world!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmaija View Post
Great thread!

1993 - present: Official USCG Artist."Cruises" in NY, Maine, AK, & PR! Underway with Cutters inc. USCGC Penobscot Bay & USCGC Sturgeon Bay. Icebreaking Ops on the Hudson are THE best cruises!
2005 - Hurricane Katrina, FEMA Community Relations; bridges were down & I came into St.Bernard, LA on the Cajun Queen...

Old September 9th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Italy: Yes, definitely the chestnut honey- and there are other Amazing honeys, such as Milleflore (1000 flower) honey... wonderful with pecorino cheese and walnuts and a slice of ripe pear! Try to taste several and buy the ones you've never heard of! (You can get the things you already know about back in the USA!)
Italy: Balsamic vinegars, olive oils, & wines from small places that you Can't get back in the USA... Truffles, truffle oil, etc.; anything you can find with Italian truffles... Italy's truffles (white and black) are some of The best- if you have a chance to eat pasta with a truffle sauce DO IT! (I tell people who've never eaten truffles that it's lilke eating dirt- but in a Really Really Delicious Way. LOL) Also jars of small round peppers (pepperoncini) stuffed with local anchovies or tuna... I got jars of a wild boar pasta sauce that I wish I'd filled my suitcase with, too- I dream about this stuff! Local wines, spirits, and liquers you've never heard of before are always fun... And if you have the chance to do a cooking/market class in any port Do It! We try to do that whenever we travel and it's always been wonderful! Lose 10 lbs before you go & then Enjoy Yourself!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel&Ken View Post
Hello everyone,

We have just booked an Eastern Med cruise for Sept.2013 on the new Reflection. We'll be in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, Ephesus and Naples.

In Europe last year I was excited to bring home items from each country that I could use for cooking - i loaded up with saffron and paprika in Spain, olive oil, meats, cheeses and chestnut honey in Italy, mustards and spices in France.

Thinking ahead to this trip I am wondering what local treasures I should be on the hunt for. Immediately I think of oregano and honey in Greece, pistashios and spices in Turkey...lemoncello and maybe preserved lemons in Naples.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance....Melissa

Old September 9th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great thread!!

Any suggestions for So. Pacific, New Zealand, Australia?

Old September 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pacific treats...

Marmite? Nasty as I personally find it, I have been Repeatedly Informed that it is THE National Food of both Australia & NZ, & that no meal is complete without it...

I've yet to get to the Pacific... We did some Serious eating/drinking/cooking/shopping through Vietnam, Korea, & Japan in 2008, however; we left with 2 small roll-ons and came back w/2 additional jumbo suitcases packed like drums; we literally had them wrapped in plastic in the airport so they wouldn't burst at the seams. (I also came back 25 lbs heavier, with a whole new wardrobe of Fat Clothes, and have been trying to lose it ever since... LOL)

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold1959 View Post
Marmite? Nasty as I personally find it, I have been Repeatedly Informed that it is THE National Food of both Australia & NZ, & that no meal is complete without it...
Got the name wrong. Vegemite is the national food at least of Australia. Marmite is British. Both taste the same to me but I've never done a side-by-side tasting.

Oct 2014 HAL Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso
Mar 2014 Corsica Ferries Mega Express 3 Toulon-Ajaccio & Bastia-Nice
Oct. 2012 HAL Prinsendam TATL Rome-Fort Lauderdale
April 2012 Island Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Kasr Ibrim Abu Simbel to Aswan Feb. 2007

Way, way back....
P&O Cathay between Singapore and Hong Kong and back, March 1968 + August 1969
Koeln-Dusseldorfer Line Rotterdam - Bern(?)
Thomson Tanger to Brindisi April 1974
Chandris Bruge-Norway-Tilbury August 1974
Chandris Southampton - Canary Islands + Madeira - Southampton August 1976

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Any Ideas for Rio and Santiago ??

Hopefully (Delta Frequent Flyer Miles 'willing' ... lol), we hope to do an SA trip that will embark/disembark in one of these ports in which we hope to stay an extra 2-3 days.

Thank you for your responses!!

M/M Moreu
Longwood, Fl

Last edited by RDMOREU; September 19th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Santiago, Chile- let me know, too!

We are (G-d willing) going to be in Chile in December to do a sponsored wine trail/foodie trip- and we've never been there, so any cool stuff about Chile, and what to eat/drink/buy/see/do, will be DEEPLY appreciated!