Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures > Florida Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Florida Departures
Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

That is a great list below!!! Thank you so much for taking the time for putting that together. It will be quite helpful for me next week!
Caro

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiyogi View Post
Okay so what you want is an Iconic list. This one is mine, everyone is welcome to flame me on it its my personal list. If I had to pick a handful of places I would choose:

Versailles (Cuban Food)- why? Because its in every Miami travel guide, its Cuban food. But quite frankly the local chains La Carreta and Latin America offer more or less the same fare about $10 per person at all locations. Also if there isn't a man whose sole job is to refill your water and bread at your resturant then its not a true Cuban place.

Gracia's or Casablanca (seafood)- why? Because seafood IS Miami. Don't you dare order a chicken or steak, it will suck. These are seafood places, both places are on the Miami River, if you go early you can catch the fisherman unloading the days catch...it doesn't get fresher than that. Figure $15pp

Joe's Stone Crab (self explanatory)- why? Again, its in every travel guide. Again you can stone crab cheaper elsewhere (all stone crab are the same [PERIOD] but they get the nod for outstanding if not offstandish table service. Figure $30pp

Filling Station Garage Bar (burgers)- why? Its a pain to find, harder to park, and its ugly inside. BUT some of the tastiest burgers ever and tater tots to die for. Anyplace willing to offer a peanut butter burger (and make it delish) gets a nod from me. They have a knack for having the best micro brews you never heard of; but will.

Must have a drink at - Rusty Pelican. I hate the food, but this place owns the best view in town.

News Cafe (continental)- why? Again...you just have to, and even though I find the food to be good at best, its so iconic, everyone in town has eaten here once. Great place for breakfast.

Casola's (pizza)- why? There is something gratifying about ordering a large pizza that is big enough to sleep under. Slices are enormous. In Miami you either think the best pizza is Frankie's or Casola's. Another ugly place, but hey when you need pizza at 4am, you don't care about decor.

El Palacio De Los Jugos (Cuban) - why? simply the best deal on Cuban food in town, make sure to bring your high school Spanish skills because nobody here speaks English except maybe a patron or two.

The Knife Steakhouse - why? Because the beef and salad is unlimited, and if I am going to die of a heart attack, I would like to be here, preferably on the balcony of the Coconut Grove location, I might get lucky and fall on a peacock.

Bond Street Sushi - why? There is just something cool about having sushi in the basement of a hotel with rocking trans music, and then going to the rooftop to keep partying.

Balans (continental) - Okay this isn't the best of the list, but the bathrooms still make me giggle

Big Pink (American) - why? Order the TV dinner and reminisce about watching Howdy Doody back when you actually had to get up and change the channel.

Micheal's Genuine Food and drink. why? just order up and thank me later.

River Oyster Bar - why? C'mon now, usually 12 different kind of oysters. If slimy snot things are your thing, this is the place to go.

Michy's - why? Michele Bernstein is a local if not national legend. She has a thing for finding the freshest stuff at the market and making a menu around it. Hint- they don't serve booze here (just beer and wine) but if you smile a lot and talk to the bartender and tip well he'll let you have some of the Gin he stashes for me.

Tobacco Road - Okay I hate this one. It is though the oldest bar in Miami (Fox's in South Miami makes the same claim). And I don't care what anyone says they don't have a license numbered 000, licenses weren't serialized back then. Then again, you probably would have been a railroad worker back then and not allowed to drink here anyway.
Carnival Ecstasy 2/05
Carnival Miracle 8/04
Carnival Triumph 6/03
Carnival Victory 6/02

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

You can't visit Miami and not try Cuban food! It is the heart and soul of Miami. I love Versailles but La Carreta is just as good. http://www.lacarreta.com/

Larios, Gloria Estefan's SOBE location and the original on Flagler is an institution. http://www.3guysfrommiami.com/larios.html

Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach is expensive but worth it -- another Miami "must" -- it is only open during stone crab season but now has a summer season until August 5th: http://www.joesstonecrab.com/

Past Cruises

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean - Aruba, Curacao, Princess Cays - New Year's 2013
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Transatlanctic - Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona - Spring 2013
Celebrity Equinox - Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Cayman Islands - New Year's Eve 2012
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda - Spring 2012
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska Inside Passage - Fall 2011
Carnival Ecstasy - Bahamas - Spring 1996
Carnival Holiday - Bahamas - Spring 1983
Chandris Lines - Italian Riviera / Mediterranean / Greek Islands / Yugoslavia / Israel - Spring 1976

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Okay so what you want is an Iconic list. This one is mine, everyone is welcome to flame me on it its my personal list. If I had to pick a handful of places I would choose:

Versailles (Cuban Food)- why? Because its in every Miami travel guide, its Cuban food. But quite frankly the local chains La Carreta and Latin America offer more or less the same fare about $10 per person at all locations. Also if there isn't a man whose sole job is to refill your water and bread at your resturant then its not a true Cuban place.

Gracia's or Casablanca (seafood)- why? Because seafood IS Miami. Don't you dare order a chicken or steak, it will suck. These are seafood places, both places are on the Miami River, if you go early you can catch the fisherman unloading the days catch...it doesn't get fresher than that. Figure $15pp

Joe's Stone Crab (self explanatory)- why? Again, its in every travel guide. Again you can stone crab cheaper elsewhere (all stone crab are the same [PERIOD] but they get the nod for outstanding if not offstandish table service. Figure $30pp

Filling Station Garage Bar (burgers)- why? Its a pain to find, harder to park, and its ugly inside. BUT some of the tastiest burgers ever and tater tots to die for. Anyplace willing to offer a peanut butter burger (and make it delish) gets a nod from me. They have a knack for having the best micro brews you never heard of; but will.

Must have a drink at - Rusty Pelican. I hate the food, but this place owns the best view in town.

News Cafe (continental)- why? Again...you just have to, and even though I find the food to be good at best, its so iconic, everyone in town has eaten here once. Great place for breakfast.

Casola's (pizza)- why? There is something gratifying about ordering a large pizza that is big enough to sleep under. Slices are enormous. In Miami you either think the best pizza is Frankie's or Casola's. Another ugly place, but hey when you need pizza at 4am, you don't care about decor.

El Palacio De Los Jugos (Cuban) - why? simply the best deal on Cuban food in town, make sure to bring your high school Spanish skills because nobody here speaks English except maybe a patron or two.

The Knife Steakhouse - why? Because the beef and salad is unlimited, and if I am going to die of a heart attack, I would like to be here, preferably on the balcony of the Coconut Grove location, I might get lucky and fall on a peacock.

Bond Street Sushi - why? There is just something cool about having sushi in the basement of a hotel with rocking trans music, and then going to the rooftop to keep partying.

Balans (continental) - Okay this isn't the best of the list, but the bathrooms still make me giggle

Big Pink (American) - why? Order the TV dinner and reminisce about watching Howdy Doody back when you actually had to get up and change the channel.

River Oyster Bar - why? C'mon now, usually 12 different kind of oysters. If slimy snot things are your thing, this is the place to go.

Michy's - why? Michele Bernstein is a local if not national legend. She has a thing for finding the freshest stuff at the market and making a menu around it. Hint- they don't serve booze here (just beer and wine) but if you smile a lot and talk to the bartender and tip well he'll let you have some of the Gin he stashes for me.

Tobacco Road - Okay I hate this one. It is though the oldest bar in Miami (Fox's in South Miami makes the same claim). And I don't care what anyone says they don't have a license numbered 000, licenses weren't serialized back then. Then again, you probably would have been a railroad worker back then and not allowed to drink here anyway.
Great Miami dining synopsis -- captures overall flavor. Thanks for sharing.

Past Cruises

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean - Aruba, Curacao, Princess Cays - New Year's 2013
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Transatlanctic - Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona - Spring 2013
Celebrity Equinox - Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Cayman Islands - New Year's Eve 2012
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda - Spring 2012
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska Inside Passage - Fall 2011
Carnival Ecstasy - Bahamas - Spring 1996
Carnival Holiday - Bahamas - Spring 1983
Chandris Lines - Italian Riviera / Mediterranean / Greek Islands / Yugoslavia / Israel - Spring 1976

Old July 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the comments. This list is not the end all be all of lists. The OP was asking for kind of iconic places, so I tried to make it a bucket list of places *I* would go to if it were my last days in Miami. Looking back, I could have added a lot more to it. But then again, I'm not getting paid to write here

Use this list as a starting point to search for more great places to eat.

Miami Dining is awesome.

Last edited by miamiyogi; July 27th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

Old July 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

I really enjoyed the food at Pollo Inka, located on 36th Street near Doral. I had their ceviche dinner, which included ceviche, a garden salad, corn nuts, and baked sweet potato. The ceviche was tender and flavorful, and the sides complimented it nicely. Like the resaurant name suggests, their signature dish is probably chicken, but I haven't tried it.

2012-APR-30: Carnival Imagination
Review of this cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1646620

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
I'd add Puerto Suaga or David's to that list if you are out on the beach and want Cuban and don't want to drive over to Miami.

Yardbird is outstanding. Southern, Low Country, soul food.
Thank you for posting these! We're headed to both these restaurants when in South Beach in Sept. You confirmed that I'm on the right track

Previous Cruises:
NCL Norwegian Crown-NYC to Bermuda (2006)
RCI Adventure S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2009)

Complete Photo Reviews:
RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2010)
l Carnival Glory from Norfolk-Bahamas (2011) l RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Aruba Route (2011) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel (2012) l Fort Lauderdale Pre-and-Post-Cruise l RCI Allure W. Caribbean-Babymoon (2012) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel-Baby's First Cruise (2014)

Up next:
Norwegian Breakaway, February 2015
RCI Quantum, April 2015
Celebrity Silhouette, October 2015

Travel Blog

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~Mark Twain

Old July 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruz View Post
Expect garlic toast, white rice, black beans, and fried plantains to be served with most Cuban meals. Some grilled chicken and meats are served topped with sauteed onions. Flavors include garlic, onion, pepper, lime, and bitter orange. Yuca in garlic sauce is my favorite side dish (it's a fibrous root vegetable) and tres leches is my favorite dessert.
That description is making me so hungry. I can't wait for some authentic Cuban food.

Completed cruises:

Feb/2014 Independence of the Seas - 8 day cruise - Aft corner
Feb/2013 Carnival Valor - Repositioning cruise to Puerto Rico - Aft Wrap

Jan/2012 NCL Star - Western Caribbean - Aft PH
Jan/2011 NCL Sun - Eastern Caribbean - Mini Suite

Old July 27th, 2012, 04:11 PM
10,000+ Club

I hate to pile on about Joes Stone Crab because I haven't eaten there in years, but my dad used to get so pissed off at that old matre'd. If you greased his palm you'd shoot to the front of the line.

Sooo, my family switched to Monteys years back.

Faith, glad to help you! Go early to Yardbird and at Puerto Suaga they'll speak Spanish to you. Both are fantastic!

Forgot to add that that is a fantastic list Angie!

Last edited by BlueHerons; July 27th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ok one meal will be Cuban!! When is stone crab season? i have never had it doe sit tast like normal crab?

First Cruise Conquest 7/9/2006
Dream 7/24/2010
Fascination 8/6/2011

Old August 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifefisher View Post
Ok one meal will be Cuban!! When is stone crab season? i have never had it doe sit tast like normal crab?
There isn't a taste like it. Its usually milder than regular crab, and a lot sweeter. You usually have the option of having them hot or cold. I prefer cold.

The season runs from October 15 to May 15.

The are usually served alone with no seasoning and a side of mustard, horseradish, or drawn butter.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

so sound like that will be a must try and a dinner the night before the cruise.

First Cruise Conquest 7/9/2006
Dream 7/24/2010
Fascination 8/6/2011

Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:48 AM
10,000+ Club

Miamiyogi, thanks again for the 3guys link! I'm making the churrasco and chimichurri tonight and it's been marinading since last night. My husband only eats kosher food and he has watched me eat churrasco so many times so I managed to get some kosher skirt steak.
coming up....X Silhouette 12/14 Admiral Cruises SS Emerald Seas 89,Sky Princess 12/92,RCCL Majesty 8/95,Celebrity Century 5/97,RCCL Voyager 4/00,RCCL Enchantment 11/01,X Millenium 2/02,X Millenium 12/03,X Millenium 11/04,RCCL Explorer 11/05,X Constellation 11/06,Carnival Liberty 2/07,RCCL Enchantment 5/07,RCCL Enchantment 9/07,Caribbean Princess 12/07,RCCL Navigator 2/08,Caribbean Princess 5/08,RCCL Enchantment 9/08, HAL Westerdam 12/08, RCCL Navigator 2/09, RCCL Enchantment 9/09, Emerald Princess 11/09,X Solstice 1/10, RCCL Navigator 12/10,X Solstice 1/11,Ruby Princess 4/11, X Solstice 12/11, RCCL Liberty 1/12, Ruby Princess 3/12, RCCL Majesty 9/12, RCCL Allure 12/12, RCCL Liberty 2/13, X Silhouette 3/13, RCCL Liberty 11/13, X Silhouette 12/13, RCCL Liberty 2/14, RCCL Vision 4/14, X Reflection 06/14

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruz View Post
Miamiyogi, thanks again for the 3guys link! I'm making the churrasco and chimichurri tonight and it's been marinading since last night. My husband only eats kosher food and he has watched me eat churrasco so many times so I managed to get some kosher skirt steak.
Hi Royal! The chimichurri from the site is FANTASTIC! The key is the cilantro, most make it with parsley...My friends wont let me go to their BBQs unless I bring a bottle of my homemade chimichurri. The other key is marinating in mojo, which I guess you are doing. Taste the chimichurri with a piece of bread as you make it so you can season it the way you like.

THREE GUYS FROM MIAMI RULE!!!!!

Old August 4th, 2012, 01:33 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi Royal! The chimichurri from the site is FANTASTIC! The key is the cilantro, most make it with parsley...My friends wont let me go to their BBQs unless I bring a bottle of my homemade chimichurri. The other key is marinating in mojo, which I guess you are doing. Taste the chimichurri with a piece of bread as you make it so you can season it the way you like.

THREE GUYS FROM MIAMI RULE!!!!!
I use chimichurri on chicken, fish, london broil, blablabla, LOL!!! I always make it with cilantro (LOVE cilantro) but the 3 Guys recipe also uses lime juice and onion, which are in addition to what I usually use. It was so good, the onion giving it much more texture. The marinade is sour orange juice, onion, olive oil, garlic, black peppercorns, etc. My kitchen was Casa Jew-ba tonight!
coming up....X Silhouette 12/14 Admiral Cruises SS Emerald Seas 89,Sky Princess 12/92,RCCL Majesty 8/95,Celebrity Century 5/97,RCCL Voyager 4/00,RCCL Enchantment 11/01,X Millenium 2/02,X Millenium 12/03,X Millenium 11/04,RCCL Explorer 11/05,X Constellation 11/06,Carnival Liberty 2/07,RCCL Enchantment 5/07,RCCL Enchantment 9/07,Caribbean Princess 12/07,RCCL Navigator 2/08,Caribbean Princess 5/08,RCCL Enchantment 9/08, HAL Westerdam 12/08, RCCL Navigator 2/09, RCCL Enchantment 9/09, Emerald Princess 11/09,X Solstice 1/10, RCCL Navigator 12/10,X Solstice 1/11,Ruby Princess 4/11, X Solstice 12/11, RCCL Liberty 1/12, Ruby Princess 3/12, RCCL Majesty 9/12, RCCL Allure 12/12, RCCL Liberty 2/13, X Silhouette 3/13, RCCL Liberty 11/13, X Silhouette 12/13, RCCL Liberty 2/14, RCCL Vision 4/14, X Reflection 06/14

Old August 4th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Versalles has a big menu and good food for everyone.

Old August 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM
10,000+ Club

I love this thread we are heading that way in Nov. now I will have to spend some time googling and checking them out.

CountdownClockCodes.com

CountdownClockCodes.com

Crazy Caribbean Cruiser AOS 2013

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:22 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

I love The River Oyster Bar! Great happy hour.

I don't mind Tobacco Road for drinks and live music. Just was The River, followed by Tobacco Road for a beer and the a Columbian hot dog at La Moon on Tiesday!

Disney Wonder 7/19/02 ~ Bahamas
Disney Wonder 1/5/03 ~ Bahamas
Disney Magic 6/7/03 ~Western Caribbean
Disney Magic 1/3/04 ~ Western Caribbean
Golden Princess 10/24/04 ~ Southern Caribbean
Golden Princess 7/11/05 ~ Northern European Capitals
Star Princess 3/19/06 (the infamous fire cruise) ~ Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 7/23/06 ~ Bahamas
Crown Princess 11/4/06~ Southern Caribbean
Crown Princess 3/31/07 ~ Southern Caribbean
Crown Princess 3/29/08 ~ Southern Caribbean
Crown Princess 4/5/09 ~ Eastern Caribbean