Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Azamara Club Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Azamara Club Cruises
Find Your Azamara Club Cruises Roll Call

Old July 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Seemingly exorbitant shore excursion pricing

My wife and I are traveling with another couple on Quest's December trans-Atlantic from Malaga to Rio. Shore excursions have just been posted for ports in Brazil, including Rio. For disembarkation day, I booked the eight-hour bus tour of Rio with churrascaria lunch that ends at the airport. The price listed on-line is $389. Thinking that to be the full price of the excursion, I booked it for my wife and me and expected the 50% off price to be half that, or $389 for two. Surprise!! The confirmation came back charging me $778 for two. I called Azamara and the young lady answering said that $389 is in fact the 50% off price, making the full price $778.

Can this really be? Azamara's transfer to the airport is $27. Bill Leiber, does Azamara really think an eight-hour bus tour plus lunch should cost an additional $751?

Old July 27th, 2012, 08:56 AM
5,000+ Club

I totally agree that there is something wrong with Azamara shore excursion contacts in brazil. When we went earlier this year it was the same thing. As a result we didnt take a single Azamara excursion but did take the very reasonable transfer to the airport.

Old July 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
I totally agree that there is something wrong with Azamara shore excursion contacts in brazil. When we went earlier this year it was the same thing. As a result we didnt take a single Azamara excursion but did take the very reasonable transfer to the airport.
Yikes, we are headed to Brazil and then Antarctica...bracing for lots of $$...hoping that AZ keeps it reasonable!
NCL Dawn - Canada/New England - 2010
Celebrity Solstice - Carribean - 2011
Royal NOS - Med - 2011
Princess - Southern Carribean - 2012
Celebrity Millennium - Western Carribean - 2012
Azamara Quest - Antarctica - 2013
Azamara Quest - Brazil - 2013
Celebrity Reflection - Carribean - 2014
Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal - 2014
Caribbean Princess - Caribbean - 2014
Caribbean Princess - Caribbean - 2015

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Chief Blogging Officer
Azamara Club Cruises

Default Shore excursion pricing accuracy

Hello Marinaro44, Emdee and Deise17311 -

I believe that there are programming issues with this specific voyage. I just went online at Pacific time at 9:15 AM and the PDF brochure cover page stated "No Brochure Content."

Please give me some time so that the shore department can review the programming situation and pricing accuracy of the tours that are offered.

I'm sorry for this confusion and I'll be back to you as soon as I have response.

Stand-by & best regards,

Bill Leiber

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Shore excursion pricing accuracy

Thank you Bill,

Concerns about the price of the tours have also been raised on the Malaga to Rio roll call.
I will await developments before booking any tours Azamara or Private,

Regards, Eric

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Leiber View Post
Hello Marinaro44, Emdee and Deise17311 -

I believe that there are programming issues with this specific voyage. I just went online at Pacific time at 9:15 AM and the PDF brochure cover page stated "No Brochure Content."

Please give me some time so that the shore department can review the programming situation and pricing accuracy of the tours that are offered.

I'm sorry for this confusion and I'll be back to you as soon as I have response.

Stand-by & best regards,

Bill Leiber
Excursions are listed for the Brazil ports but not for the island ports, so the complete brochure is not yet available. What we need is to have the pricing checked on the excursions posted for the Brazil ports. If the prices posted are in fact the 50% discounted prices, there will be a lot of private tours booked.

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Journey in S.A. in Jan/Feb and found the tours very expensive even at the 50% discount in Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina. Check out the Ports section of CC for some tips. We did our own except the last day in B.A!!! We didn't want to spend the day at the airport. This tour of B.A. and then to a ranch and on to the airport was reasonable compared to the rest of the tours on the cruise!!! The 50% discount tours in Europe are a lot less than S.A!!! We are on the Quest in Oct/Nov and plan to book the ship's tours.
Cunard: Countess 1987
Gate 1: Amadeus Classic 2011
HAL: Veendam 1998
Michelangelo 1970
NCL: Majesty 2001, Sky 2001, Dream 2002, Majesty 2003, Sun 2010
Ocean Breeze 1996
Princess: Island 2004, Sun 2004, Grand 2005
Regency: Regent Sea 1995
Regent Seven Seas: UPCOMING: Mariner
RCCL: Song of America 1993, Nordic Empress 2003, Jewel of the Seas 2005, Voyager of the Seas 2006
Uniworld: River Embassador 2006

Old July 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

I also was on the Journey this past winter, disembarking in Rio. I believe that the all day tour, dropping you off at the airport was more like $250 per person at the 50% off rate. Which I thought was still high. If you waited to book it while on board, it would cost $1000 for a couple ! We know people who took it ( met them later at the airport) and said it was a good tour with a fabulous buffet lunch. We chose to hire a private guide with a large group of us off of the roll call board. That was more like $100 per person, with about 15 of us but we had to pay for our own lunch and entrance fees to everything, so we may have saved only about $50-70.
I hope that Bill is correct , though, and the prices are adjusted some.

Old July 28th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Brazil Shore Excursions

I just tried to look at the Brazil shore excursions for the Malaga to Rio sailing and it appears that they are no longer on-line. Let's hope AZ is reviewing the pricing....

Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Gibralter tours

I am on the Dec. Quest cruise to Rio from Malta. Azamara just posted the tours for Gibralter, most of them are double the price of Celebrity for the same tours. Is this why they arer giving a 50% discount? These tours are named the same for the same amount of time and the descriptions are the same word for word.
I will give one example " Fortress Gibraltar" Azamara $90.00 Celebrity $52.00

I know I have probably offended many Azamara regulars, but I would like a explanation for this.

Last edited by shaq; August 3rd, 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq View Post
I am on the Dec. Quest cruise to Rio from Malta. Azamara just posted the tours for Gibralter, most of them are double the price of Celebrity for the same tours. Is this why they arer giving a 50% discount? These tours are named the same for the same amount of time and the descriptions are the same word for word.

I know I have probably offended many Azamara regulars, but I would like a explanation for this.
I think we'd ALL like an explanation.

But please don't fly to Malta to board Quest. She leaves from Malaga.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinaro44 View Post
I think we'd ALL like an explanation.

But please don't fly to Malta to board Quest. She leaves from Malaga.
For the Antarctica cruise, wonderful Robin had found us some great priced private tours...I think this is the way to go if pricing is so high...
NCL Dawn - Canada/New England - 2010
Celebrity Solstice - Carribean - 2011
Royal NOS - Med - 2011
Princess - Southern Carribean - 2012
Celebrity Millennium - Western Carribean - 2012
Azamara Quest - Antarctica - 2013
Azamara Quest - Brazil - 2013
Celebrity Reflection - Carribean - 2014
Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal - 2014
Caribbean Princess - Caribbean - 2014
Caribbean Princess - Caribbean - 2015

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh dear....I was going to book my excursions through Azamara for our trip...now I'm beginning to wonder. I was also told the PDF rates were discounted 50%....I was thinking it would be half the cost of what I read on their excursion brochure. I'm totally confused on all of this.
I have a friend who was just on Oceniana and I know she did some land tours and shared them with 2 other people...very reasonable for what they did in Taorminia compared to Azamara. In searching cruises in the past I've read so many times how the ship's excursions can sometimes be double as opposed to doing it on your own What to do....I'm pondering. I was also told by an Azamara rep if you do book, you have to cancel within 48 hours of embarkation. That said, it gives you little time to do a lot of research for a reliable personal tour...we're doing this cruise for the ports but certainly do not wish to spend more than we necessarily have to.

09-01-2012 Azamara Journey French & Italian Rivieras

09-03-2013 Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Med & Greek Isles

09-20-2014 Azamara Journey Tuscany & Amalfi Coast

09-27-2014 Azamara Journey Sicily & Malta

Old August 4th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

the prices for the tours on our itineraries are very reasonable for the most part. We've always shared tours with roll call friends on past cruises but have booked 2 through Azamara this time around. The private cars and vans are very high...
I think your rollcall is as small as ours; hard to share excursions if no one is interested. It seems like you need at least 8 people to share a private tour to make them reasonably priced
Century 02/02
Tahitian Princess 01/03
Century 01/04
Tahitian Princess 01/05
Tahitian Princess 01/08
Eclipse 12/10
Journey 9/12

Old August 4th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq View Post

I would bet that the tour group size with Azamara is much smaller than with Celebrity
Century 02/02
Tahitian Princess 01/03
Century 01/04
Tahitian Princess 01/05
Tahitian Princess 01/08
Eclipse 12/10
Journey 9/12

Old August 4th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Cruise Critic Host & 10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurieb View Post
I would bet that the tour group size with Azamara is much smaller than with Celebrity
Hi Laurieb,

I would think so as well. From what we've heard from past guests... Azamara's tour groups are generally smaller than the larger lines. Makes sense, as each ship carries about 690 Guests.

Please Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Host Andy; August 4th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.

Old August 4th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Andy View Post
Hi Laurieb,

I would think so as well. From what we've heard from past guests... Azamara's tour groups are generally smaller than the larger lines. Makes sense, as each ship carries about 690 Guests.
If you book 45-50 of those 690 on an excursion, the bus is just as full as if it's 45-50 out of 3000.

Old August 4th, 2012, 04:58 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinaro44 View Post
If you book 45-50 of those 690 on an excursion, the bus is just as full as if it's 45-50 out of 3000.
But speaking from experience in that situation Azamara send out two buses. They do not run their land discoveries in the same way as Celebrity run their shore excursions

2015 - San Francisco - Vancouver 25 May on Infinity; Southampton - Barcelona 25 August and Christmas/NY in OZ Quest
2016 Cairns - Sydney (Quest)5 Jan; Miami-Nice 5 April and Rome-Dubai 7 Oct (Journey)

Old August 4th, 2012, 07:34 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktog View Post
But speaking from experience in that situation Azamara send out two buses. They do not run their land discoveries in the same way as Celebrity run their shore excursions
That has been my experience of the Azamara excursions too. The buses have not been as full.

Phil

Old August 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktog View Post
Not my experience, but perhaps my memory is faulty. Maybe Bill Lieber can give us ACC policy. 50% prices, as listed, are out of line, and we will go on our own as a result.