Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old July 29th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Luv2SeaU,

While you are running around acting like a kid and having "fun", I certainly hope I don't have the misfortune of getting in your way.

I also hope that my brother, who has had plates inserted in his back, doesn't come in contact with you. We were on a ship once and were coming up the stairs and had just rounded the corner to start the next flight when a kid came rolling down the stairwell and missed my brother by about an inch. We didn't report it then but did mention it to one of the assistant captains at the nightly event. He told us that five families had already been taken off the ship and there were two more families who had their second warning.

After that event, we saw members of the crew standing in stairwells and popular meeting places with clipboards. They were stopping the unruly kids and writing down their room number and name. Within a day the kids started behaving themselves.

It doesn't matter if kids are on a cruise ship and wanting to have fun. They must have respect for others and for parents to excuse their behavior just because they are on a ship is unexcusable.

Flame me if you want but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Old July 29th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdaddy42 View Post
That is a great idea, with a station for passengers to post photos they took of rude kids to be played on the big screen. Maybe match up the bad kids picture with the rest of their family or group they came on board with. That would help stop the run-a-muck kid problem.
This is a great idea, however if crew members are afraid to firmly stop this dangerous behavior on the part of some children, it's not likely any pictures will ever appear. We've only seen truly misbehaving children, aside from CCL, on one HAL cruise. The captain of the ship quickly put a stop to it and announced the same to the entire ship. Don't believe you'll ever see that happening on a CCL ship.
5/05 Norwegian Star, Panama Canal-17 Days
12/05 Carnival Liberty, Eastern Caribbean-8 Days
12/06 HAL Veendam, Western Caribbean-7 Days
2/07 Carnival Legend, Southern Caribbean-8 Days
9/07 Carnival Freedom, Western Mediterranean-12 Days
12/07 Carnival Triumph, Eastern Caribbean-7 Days
2/08 Carnival Miracle, Western Caribbean-8 Days
10/08 Carnival Splendor, Eastern Mediterranean-12 Days
12/08 Carnival Glory,Western Caribbean-7 Days
6/09 HAL Eurodam, Baltic Sea-12 Days
12/09 Carnival Dream, Eastern Caribbean-9 Days
3/10 HAL Noordam, Southern Caribbean-7 Days
9/10 Presidential Nile Cruises, Egypt-5 Days
12/10 Carnival Valor, Western Caribbean-7 Days
3/11 Celebrity Equinox, Ultimate Caribbean Cruise-11 Days
1/12 Celebrity Constellation, Southern Caribbean-12 Days
2/12 Princess Grand, Southern Caribbean-7 Days
12/12 Carnival Breeze, Eastern Caribbean-8 Days
1/13 Celebrity Millennium, S.E. Asia-14 days
8/13 Viking Bragi, Budapest to Amsterdam-15 Days
1/14 Norwegian Sun, Southern Caribbean- 11 Days
6/14 HAL Oosterdam, Land/Sea-Alaska - 14 Days
12/14 Celebrity Silhouette, Eastern Caribbean - 7 Days
2/15 RCCL, Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean -7 Days

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post
CCL= people of walmart.
RCI Grandeur 2009
CCL Freedom 2010
CCL Pride 2011
CCL Elation 2012
CCL Pride 2012
CCL Fantasy 2013

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy12 View Post
Luv2SeaU,

While you are running around acting like a kid and having "fun", I certainly hope I don't have the misfortune of getting in your way.

I also hope that my brother, who has had plates inserted in his back, doesn't come in contact with you. We were on a ship once and were coming up the stairs and had just rounded the corner to start the next flight when a kid came rolling down the stairwell and missed my brother by about an inch. We didn't report it then but did mention it to one of the assistant captains at the nightly event. He told us that five families had already been taken off the ship and there were two more families who had their second warning.

After that event, we saw members of the crew standing in stairwells and popular meeting places with clipboards. They were stopping the unruly kids and writing down their room number and name. Within a day the kids started behaving themselves.

It doesn't matter if kids are on a cruise ship and wanting to have fun. They must have respect for others and for parents to excuse their behavior just because they are on a ship is unexcusable.

Flame me if you want but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Being I don't believe anyone was thrown off for running, your entire post is suspect.

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM
5,000+ Club

I really think that they should make you get a liscense to have children. Geesh!

Op, sorry for the loss of your mother.

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlJen View Post
Not every kid that runs is going to be a problem, but they should not treat a cruise ship, or hotel, like it's a playground. Too often kids race the stairwells and smash into people, or come close to doing so. On my last cruise I lost a toenail and broke my toe because a kid came flying down the stairs and whipped around the corner and stepped on my foot. I've seen people get knocked down, including including elderly folks.
Don't forget the kids that run out of the elevator and when you get in, discover that they pushed every button-oh, aren't they just sooo cute???
Or, when you want to get out of the elevator, they jump in without letting those in the elevator a chance to get out. Come to think of it, their parents do that too.
Was on the Star Princess two weeks ago, kids were well behaved, and no, I don't consider Princess "stuffy".

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Children running in inappropriate places can certainly ruin your whole day and I can empathize with anyone and everyone who have had this experience. However, I just do not think this situation can be entirely prevented on a cruise ship or anywhere else for that matter. The fact is that children are going to run--anytime and anywhere. It's called being a kid. The best thing to do is try to control the inappropriate running.

I learned a "trick" once upon a time to somewhat rein-in this behavior. Whenever children are running inappropriately; state in a good command voice (every parent has one) the word "WALK!!". This simple command will generally stop the behavior "dead in its tracks". Then all parties can go about their business safely. Give it a try next time and see if it doesn't work.

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by San_Antonio_Ex View Post
Thank you. I agree - I also have kids - now 19 and 22. They have cruised with me since they were 6 and 9. They know personally what it is like to get mom mad!! I'm not saying they were perfect on cruises when they were younger, but I do believe they were much better than many of the kids on the Liberty! I like your solution!! Many times, I think, parents believe the best of their kids and don't realize the trouble they are causing - giving them warnings gives the parents a chance and lets the kids know that there will be consequences if they continue to misbehave.

I think the statement in red is so true. I would want someone to tell me if my son was running around wild.
However, there will always be the parents who would not believe it was their child who was causing problems.

On the cruises I have taken with my son, he always has to tell me where he is going on the ship. Every once in a while I will go check to see if he is where he says and how he is behaving. I always think this is best because he never knows when mom is going to show up. If I catch him misbehaving, he is stuck with me the remainder of the cruise! I am not saying he is perfect.
)

08/19/2012--Carnival Conquest (7367)
03/25/2012--Carnival Splendor (7351)
05/29/2011--Carnival Splendor (2408)
01/16/2011-- Carnival Splendor (cancelled due to fire)
03/2010--Carnival Splendor (aft wrap balcony 6485)
12/2009--Golden Princess (14 day Hawaii Christmas)
06/2009--Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas (Promenade Cabin) (San Fran, Seattle, Victoria)(swine flu change of itinerary)
03/2009--Norwegian Star
06/2007--Carnival Paradise (E40)
01/2006--Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry for your loss.. My mother in law passed away last December and always wanted to go to Alaska, we are going to be spreading her ashes while on board and our PVP was really great about letting us know what we need to do onboard.

As for the kids, it happens everyhwere. I have kids but they will not be running around the ship.. They know better.. They want to keep going on vacations they need to behave!

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4cruzn View Post
First off, God Speed for your Mother.

Secondly, OH BOY! Another rotten kid thread!!!

I'll be the first to say it, "Kids will be kids!"
kids will be kids... but parents need to be parents.... I cannot imagine letting children run all over the place on a ship, in the middle of the ocean, several thousand feet deep! Personally, I would keep them near and watch them carefully, making sure they didnt get hurt, or interfere with another familys vacation who have paid hard earned dollars to be there too.
Don't parents wonder what if, they would slip on the stairs... or fall and hit their head on the slippery lido deck. Or slip and fall into the pool, or ... so many different things. A ship should be treated as a small city when it comes to letting kids run alone... Would you turn them loose at home? of course, there is not an ocean for them to fall into...

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy12 View Post
Luv2SeaU,

!
Was that on Carnival?

I really feel for the crew. It can only take one or two guest complaints and they are fired, according to the several books I have read from former crew members. They discipline a kid, the moron mom runs to guest services and says Mr. Carnival was mean to by kid and did XYZ, all of a sudden the crew member is off in the next port. There is very little risk to doing nothing for the crew member.

Old July 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandis View Post
Sorry for your loss.. My mother in law passed away last December and always wanted to go to Alaska, we are going to be spreading her ashes while on board and our PVP was really great about letting us know what we need to do onboard.

As for the kids, it happens everyhwere. I have kids but they will not be running around the ship.. They know better.. They want to keep going on vacations they need to behave!
My condolences. Keep in mind that it is very noisy down where you will gather to do it, so it is really, really difficult to hear anyone speaking. I tried to read a poem, but people couldn't hear me.
Carnival Imagination B2B January 2013
Carnival Liberty July 2012 Memorial cruise to honor our mother's last wish to have her ashes scattered in the S. Caribbean
Carnival Valor January 2012
Carnival Miracle B2B March 2009
Carnival Fascination December 2007
Carnival Triumph February 2007
Grand Princess February 2006
Carnival Imagination December 1999

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old July 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How another cruise line handles problems

Here's another option. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679204
Go Junior #88

Past Cruises:
1990: Admiral Cruises Emerald Seas ~ 1991: Admiral Cruises Emerald Seas ~ 1992: Dolphin Cruise Lines Dolphin ~ 1996: Carnival Fantasy ~ 1998: RCCL Sovereign of the Seas ~ 2000: RCCL Sovereign of the Seas ~ 2001: NCL Norway ~ 2002: Celebrity Century ~ 2003: Carnival Paradise ~ 2003: Carnival Triumph ~ 2004: Carnival Triumph ~ 2005: Celebrity Horizon ~ 2005: Star Princess ~ 2006: Golden Princess ~ 2007: Carnival Destiny ~ 2007: NCL Pride of America ~ 2008: Carnival Liberty ~ 2009: Carnival Liberty ~ 2009: Celebrity Summit ~ 2009: Crown Princess ~ 2010: RCI Serenade of the Seas ~ 2011: Golden Princess ~ 2011: Carnival Fantasy ~ 2012: Carnival Fantasy ~ 2012: Carnival Liberty

Old July 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCAR Bubba View Post
Carnival should hire this captain.

With so many people posting that they smuggle alcohol on board, so many people chair hogs, so many people excusing bad behavior because "boys will be boys" and the list goes on, is it any wonder that their children behave like this?

I have a cruise scheduled for December, and based on threads from the last few days, my wife is seriously considering to cancel and just rent a cottage on a beach in the Caribbean for a week.

If these threads are indicative of who we will be with and what we will encounter, I don't see a point of going on a Carnival cruise.

Old July 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Carnival is definitely my "last resort" in cruise lines, followed closely by RCCL - I won't cruise on those unless absolutely nothing else fits my plans and/or budget. The only time I ran into a problem with out-of-control kids was on a Carnival Freedom cruise in the Mediterranean, back in 2008. They kept jumping into the pool from the higher level of the deck (not like 2nd level - I don't know what it's called, it's the area where you take a few steps up to get to the hot tub). Anyway, it was like a 4-foot drop into the pool, and they kept climbing up there and jumping down, even though the rules specifically said "no jumping or diving". They weren't paying any attention to anyone already in the pool, and after one little s**t almost landed on my head, I went to an attendant on deck and asked that he tell the kids to stop. He did, and they stopped for about 5 minutes...then they went right back to it. I briefly considered doing something mean to them but couldn't think of anything so I got out of the pool and didn't go back the entire cruise. I later noticed that most adults would step into the pool for a few minutes, until they encountered that group of kids, and then they got out.

However, if the same kid(s) are running repeatedly past me and running into me when I'm walking in a hallway (as long as it's carpeted area, not out on deck and not near stairs) - I can't guarantee that I won't "accidentally" trip them up. Not to injure - just to send a message (or to send them away bawling, whatever). If they can have their fun, I'll have mine.

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm just off the Liberty this Saturday, 7/28...I barely noticed any children.

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchaclassylady View Post
I'm just off the Liberty this Saturday, 7/28...I barely noticed any children.
That's the same day we got off. I guess you got lucky, then. I had several different groups literally run into me as I was walking; I saw one boy fall down the stairs while running with others; one child almost knocked my father over; I saw many, many groups running up and down the promenade and heard the photographer tell them to stop running; saw three kids running up around on the second level at the back where it overlooks the lower level in the silver olympian dining room at the end of the late dining on the last sea night; saw many groups of kids riding the elevators and pushing in and out; had several groups of kids pass me running up and down the hall on the "upper" level (deck six) while I walked to our cabin at the aft of the ship.

Where were you hiding that you missed all this?? Or maybe you still have young kids and are still able to "tune it out"? I know I used to be able to do that better, but not anymore!!
Carnival Imagination B2B January 2013
Carnival Liberty July 2012 Memorial cruise to honor our mother's last wish to have her ashes scattered in the S. Caribbean
Carnival Valor January 2012
Carnival Miracle B2B March 2009
Carnival Fascination December 2007
Carnival Triumph February 2007
Grand Princess February 2006
Carnival Imagination December 1999

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

So sorry about your mom, but what a wonderful way to honor her.

DH is a retired high school teacher and after 35 years in the classroom, he has "the voice" and "the look" down pat. Stops kids from doing most anything right in their tracks.

We also would probably never cruise during spring break or summer vacation, just because of the number of kids. We have our own two, now 22 and 20, and that is enough. Of course if the price were right, we might reconsider.

Upcoming: Carnival (Valor ) Liberty 4/26/2015
Upcoming: Disney Wonder 12/3/14
Carnival Breeze 1/18/2014
Carnival Liberty 10/13/2012
Carnival Legend 11/27/11
Carnival Triumph 2/21/11

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by H82seaUgo View Post
sorry about your mother, but kids running? i think that's what kids do. i did it, and my kids still do it.

i too wish i could still do it, but gravity got in the way.

Really? There's a place for the kind of running we're talking about - and on a ship where there are crowds of people on it is not theplace. Also, running up and down the narrow corridors of the staterooms is not the place. If your kids want to run around like that you should take a land vacation where there is a lot of space. Kids do a lot of things but there is a place and a time for certain things. My kids andnow my grandchildren were/are not allowed to run around like monkeys whenever and wherever they want. Just common courtesy and good manners. If they really need to burn off energy - they should run on the jogging track if they can't control their legs.

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by H82seaUgo View Post
only problem is, op didn't specify that.

my kids like running around in an elevator making a whirlpool of wind.

Is this something you are proud of?