Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How's the water?

I have seen a couple of posts about the water on cruise ships being from the ships own filtration system. I hear that it is as good to drink as bottled water. Can that be true?
If so, what is the point of buying bottled water on the ship? I drink lots of water, so that will save me bundles.
Tell me what your experiences are with the water on board the ships.

Thanks!

Tom

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM
50,000+ Club

Yes...it's true. There is no point to buying water at all. Do know that the water will never "run cold", but ice or your fridge will rectify that!

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on RC Voyager of the Seas this past March and the water served in dining areas was just fine. I drink a lot of bottled water (Ozarka is my drink of choise). There was no strange taste or smell. Just good, clean water. We did break down and use a couple of the bottles of water (Evian) from the room refrigerator just because it was convenient and we like having water in the room before going to bed and when getting up in the morning.

SERENADE OF THE SEAS - March 2015 - Bahamas

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:50 PM
5,000+ Club

virtually all cruise ships today produce their "potable water" aka drinking water via the reverse osmosis process

if you read the fine print on the label of your locally purchased bottled water you'll probably find it is local water cleaned by the same process

'spring water' can be different as is imported water

BUT the ship's tap water is AS refined as your local "bottled water" maybe more . .

Costa, Commodore, NCL, Windstar, Princess, DCL, RCL
50+ cruises
USCG Captain, retired - 6 ships, 2 commands, 12 yrs @ sea
Shellback, Golden Dragon, Bering Sea winter vet
Tall ship sailor

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Many cruise ships also use flash distillation to produce potable water. Both reverse osmosis and flash distillation produce very near "pure" water. So pure in fact that trace amounts of some minerals may be added to the result to remove any "flat" taste.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:15 PM
10,000+ Club

As you don't really know where bottled comes from - many that claimed to be "spring water" have been exposed as tap water - I think it is safe to say ship's water is at least as good, if not better than bottled.

Old July 30th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

The water is fine. Add ice to an insulated cup, and your all set. Ice is always available.

Old July 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserBruce View Post
As you don't really know where bottled comes from - many that claimed to be "spring water" have been exposed as tap water - I think it is safe to say ship's water is at least as good, if not better than bottled.
I remember seeing a story on one of the news programs, maybe ABC's 20/20(?), (not sure), that some brands of so-called "mountain spring water" were actually bottled city water. We've never had a problem or any complaints about the ship's water. It just seems so silly for people to carry on cases of bottled water. For shore excursions, you can buy a bottle (or two) of water on the ship to carry with you, or, do as we and others have done by taking a couple of refillable bottles in your luggage, and then fill them up from the ship's drinking water.

CRUISES
Carnival Liberty May 2013
Carnival Liberty May 2012
Carnival Sensation Feb. 2008
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2007
RCCL Explorer of the Seas March 2002
RCCL Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2000
Carnival Imagination Sept. 1999
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 1999
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 1997

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:34 PM
10,000+ Club

Ship water is tested several times daily. Bottled water.....who knows? Never could understand why folks will spend more money on water then gasoline (hate to admit we have Perrier and Pellegrino in our home) but water has obviously become one of the great fads of the 90s and current decade. This fact has not been lost on the major soda companies which have all jumped on the bandwagon. We have one local company that simply takes city water, runs it through a simple filter, and sells it for hundreds of times the cost of the city water. Sounds like a good plan.

Hank

Old July 31st, 2012, 01:16 AM
20,000+ Club

The water on cruise ships is excellent however it does come from the faucet a big warm. To overcome this we refill bottles and keep them in the fridge.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old July 31st, 2012, 01:59 AM
10,000+ Club

Only one in the 20+ cruises we have been on has the water tasted 'off'.

Old July 31st, 2012, 04:55 AM
50,000+ Club

You'll find that the water does taste very good on the cruise ships.

They make the water while the ships are at sea.

Keith

Old July 31st, 2012, 05:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have found it is rather "hard", and not nice on your skin and hair. I'm oily and mine dried out quite a bit but that may have been the salt air.

Old July 31st, 2012, 06:41 AM
50,000+ Club

I wouldn't waste money buying bottled water on a ship. The water on the ships is much better than what comes out of our taps at home.

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

So, going on my first ever cruise in 32 days! I am a BIG water drinker. I plan to drink the ship water without fear and know it should taste fine.

I was planning a small case/pack of bottled water for the convenience of shore excursions. So much is said about the etiquette of re-filling bottles, etc and those refilled bottles are not sealed tight for transport.

Is there another way that I'm not thinking of?

Old July 31st, 2012, 12:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post
virtually all cruise ships today produce their "potable water" aka drinking water via the reverse osmosis process

if you read the fine print on the label of your locally purchased bottled water you'll probably find it is local water cleaned by the same process

'spring water' can be different as is imported water

BUT the ship's tap water is AS refined as your local "bottled water" maybe more . .
Having been in the bottled water business, the above is quite correct. "RO" is used on most ships, and is very good when it comes to purifying water for drinking.

Note: RO is not "distillation", you don't want distilled water to drink.

Lou Betti
Boca Raton, FL

The late, great Regal Empress. One of the
longest serving passenger ships of all time.
...............1953 to 2009.....................

On board QE2 for the last trans-Atlantic
of the 20th Century, December 1999 & 2000

On board QM2 for her maiden trans-Atlantic
to New York, April 2004

I love to cruise, but my flying comes first!
Cessna 210N Turbo Centurion.

44 cruises since 1985 and I am too lazy to mention them all! However, I do own the Builder's Certificate to the the RMS Queen Elizabeth. A lot of good that does me! Ships sailed on: Costa Riviera. Home Lines Atlantic. Cunard QE2 & QM2. Premier Cruise's Sea Breeze & Rembrandt. Celebrity Zenith, Century, Galaxy & Millennium. Bahamas Celebration, and my favorite ship of all, Regal Empress! Cunard Diamond, Celebrity Elite, RCI Diamond (and I've yet to sail on RCI!!)

Old July 31st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake16 View Post
So, going on my first ever cruise in 32 days! I am a BIG water drinker. I plan to drink the ship water without fear and know it should taste fine.

I was planning a small case/pack of bottled water for the convenience of shore excursions. So much is said about the etiquette of re-filling bottles, etc and those refilled bottles are not sealed tight for transport.

Go to a store in your area that sells sporting goods, or Amazon.com, and look for re-usable water bottles that are insulated and (most importantly) leak-proof. You'll find them in sizes ranging from 16 oz. - 24 oz. Keep in mind that the ones with a slightly larger opening are easier to put ice in. You can get ice and water to fill your bottle(s) at the buffet area prior to your shore excursion(s). And an empty re-usable water bottle is much easier to carry on board at embarkation than a case of water.

CRUISES
Carnival Liberty May 2013
Carnival Liberty May 2012
Carnival Sensation Feb. 2008
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2007
RCCL Explorer of the Seas March 2002
RCCL Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2000
Carnival Imagination Sept. 1999
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 1999
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 1997

Old July 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Not so long ago, most of our fresh water came from sea water via reverse osmosis and flash distillation.

With fuel costs skyrocketing, we often cannot afford to go that route anymore.
One ton (one cubic meter) of water now costs between US$4 and US$6 to produce onboard.

One ton of water can be purchased in most ports for between US$2 and US$4.
When you consider that we are using thousands of tons of fresh water every day, the cost savings of buying water in port can be considerable.

Fresh water produced onboard is very soft - with no mineral content. To protect our pipes, and the flavor of the water, we must add large quantities of mineral salts to the water before pumping it to you. This is also expensive and time-consuming.
Water purchased from shore already has mineral salts in it, saving us additional money.

Old July 31st, 2012, 05:23 PM
10,000+ Club

It is not bad .
Holland: 11 voyages 152 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 66 Cruises 604 days

NOT YET SAILED
Ryndam Carib. 11/14 -21 days
Ryndam Carib. 1/15 -14 days
Maasdam Carib. 3/15 - 14 days
Rotterdam Canary 4/15 - 18 days
Veendam Bermuda 6/15 - 14 days
River Cruise France 8/15 - 21 days
Emerald Europe 8/15 -14 days
Eurodam Viking Passage 9 /15 -17 days
Xpedition Galapogas 11/15 - 10 days
Prinsendam Amazon 11/15 - 25 days
Volendam Asia 2016- 93 days

Old July 31st, 2012, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake16 View Post

Refilling of water bottles direct from the public supply is not allowed because of the risk of contaminating the tap. We get 2 or 3 glasses of water and decant them into the water bottle to avoid this (or use the melted ice from the cabin ice bucket each morning) We've never had a problem with leakage when we refill shop-bought bottles

Last edited by suekay; July 31st, 2012 at 06:15 PM.