Gibraltar -- Ship Tours

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Other Mediterranean Ports
Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:25 PM.
Timonium, Maryland
3,943 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Valerie by any chance were you on the Millenium in 2005?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda 5/14/17 Regal Princess, 3/19/17 Holland America Veendam Canada/New England 4/28/16-5/7/16, Regal Princess 3/27/16 Eastern Caribbean, Holland America Maasdam Canada New England 8/15/15, Celebrity Summit Bermuda 7/26/15 Star Princess Alaska 7/13/15 Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5/3/2014 My Birthday! Celebrity Solstice Alaska 5/8/2014Enchantment of the Seas 12/6/13 Bahamas, Grand Princess Alaska 7/19/13, Celebrity Solstice California Coast 5/13, Serenade of the Seas Western Med (1/4/13)Celebrity Summit Bermuda(8/12/12),Celebrity Infinity Alaska 7/6/12
Caribbean Princess New England (8/11), Holland America Maasdam New England (6/11)Celebrity Equinox Norway (7/09), Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (4/09) Grand Princess British Isles (08) Holland America Zuiderdam Greece/ Turkey (08) Oceania Regatta Caribbean Southern Caribbean (08) QM2 Transatlantic (07) Celebrity Millenium Western Med (7/07), Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Eastern Caribbean(4/06), Disney Wonder Bahamas (8/05), Celebrity Constellation (4/06), Sapphire Princess Alaska (5/24/05) Celebrity Millenium Transatlantic (5/1/05), NCL Spirit Eastern Caribbean (3/05), Celebrity Galaxy (10/04), Carnival Victory (6/04), Celebrity Zenith Bermuda (10/01), Celebrity Zenith Eastern Caribbean (4/01),NCL Dynasty (12/00) NCL Sky Alaska (7/00), NCL Wind Alaska (5/98), Crown Princess Pacific repo (5/98), Royal Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas (10/97), Costa Victoria Western Caribbean (3/97), Crown Princess Alaska (6/96), Vera Cruz Christmas (1981), Holland America Volendam Christmas (1980), Holland America Veendam Christmas (1975).

Upcoming cruises: Celebrity Summit New England//Canada 6/27/17, QM2 Cunard 7/28/17, Explorer of the Seas Seattle to Sydney 10/06/17
[/size]
60 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Just got back from cruise which included a stop in Gibraltar. We absolutely loved it. We walked from the Port to the Cable Car station, there are plenty of roadside maps and it is an easy flat walk down the main street. The children loved the street artistes along Main Street and OH enjoyed wandering around Trafalgar Cemetry (worth a visit if you are into military history). It took us around 50 minutes to meander to the cable car station and a return ticket (three adults, one child) came to £34 - they accept credit cards. Queues not too bad and there was a toilet and we got the six minute ride to the top - well worth it.

There is a free multimedia tour at the top (leave cruise card or passport as deposit) a cafe, toilet, shop and plenty of Barbary Apes. Also some military ruins up here.

Following this we visited the Alameda Botanical gardens next to the cable car station - could have spent a lot longer here. OH then went to the WWII tunnels whilst the children and I met up with a friend and out to Europa Point.

Got back to the ship with two minutes to spare but had a brilliant day. Pleased we did our own thing and avoided the Ship's tour and very pleased we did the cable car to the top. Hope you have a good time.
Atlanta, GA
4,157 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Thanks for all the great responses. I still have a long time before this cruise, but it helps.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8/26/02 - Carnival Sensation; 4/23/05- Oosterdam; 4/8/06 -Veendam; 1/1/07- Marco Polo to Antarctica; 5/25/07 - 9 night Explorer OTS; 2/16/08 7 night Summit; 3/09/09 - 14 night Coral Princess Full Panama Canal Transit; 11/29/09 - 7 night Liberty OTS; 11/28/10 - 7 Night Solstice; 05/01/11 - 14 Voyager OTS -TA; 9/25/11 - Serenade OTS; 1/21/12 Oasis; 5/27/12 Xpedition -Galapagos Is.; 9/28/12 Monarch OTS Bahamas; 11/25/12 Allure; 4/21/2013 Mariner - TA; 10/29/13 Royal Princess;5/20/14 Equinox Mediterranean;11/02/14 Quatum OTS Maiden;06/06/15 Serenade OTS Arctic Circle

League City, TX
39,602 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by smoosh21
We will be stopping in Gibraltar on our TA next Year. I am looking forward to this port most of all, and chose the ship mainly because of this port.

Does anyone have experience with the ship excursions? I was wondering if they were worth it, or is Gibraltar small enough, and easy enough, to do on our own? I mainly want to see the top of the Rock and the Barbary Apes.
We have been to Gibraltar twice (third time will be on the cruise with you) and have done it ourself both times.

It is easy to walk to the cable car station and take the car to the top. This is what we did our first time there. (A baby ape tried to pickpocket my wallet.)

The second time we took a public bus to the WWII tunnels and toured there.

On this cruise we will take the public bus to the southern tip of Gibraltar (Europa Point).
Dundas, Ontario, Canada
702 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
The website says the cable car opens at 9:30. Our ship docked at 7 am and we got off right away (it was still dark) and did a slow walk to the cable station just to get an idea of where it was. Just as we were getting there (around 7:45) the ship's excursion bus was pulling up and the ticket office was open. We asked if we could buy our tickets and go up and she said "sure". So we got on the gondola with all the other ship's people and were up the top by 8 am. So if you're in port early and want to do it yourself, check to see if you can get up earlier. While it would have been nice to see some of the sights at the top, we had to be back on board by 1:00 so we admired the view and the monkeys and then walked our way back down to town. The views from the top were amazing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Westerdam '93, '95, '98; Ryndam '97, '00; Zuiderdam '03, '07; Millennium '05; Zenith '06; Century '07; Galaxy '08; Quest '09; Prinsendam '10, '11; Eurodam '12; Explorer of the Seas '13; Summit '14; Eclipse 3/16; Equinox 1/17; Constellation 6/17; Eclipse 5/18
North East England
2,855 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
we prebooked a taxi tour as they can all be gone if you're late off the ship or other ships in port

the taxi drivers can get right up close to the top of the rock and may be licensed to deal with the apes-do you want a photo of a barbary ape sitting on your head?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Spirit July 2012 review
http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com....php?t=1683067

Norwegian Breakaway August 2013 review
http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com....php?t=1909684

Norwegian Jade August 2014 review
http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com....php?t=2092437
Norwegian Star May 2015 review
http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho...php?t=2215240#

Norwegian Escape October 2015 review
http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2274998

Norwegian Epic March 2016 review
http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho...1#post49687256

Norwegian Spirit July 2016 review
http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2385663
191 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Excellent, detailed maps (same as the ones they give out in port) are linked from cruiseportwiki dot com so you can be more prepared.
Clovis, CA
4,751 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by smoosh21
Thanks for all the great responses. I still have a long time before this cruise, but it helps.
We are also on this cruise April 2013 and are wondering if you might want to share a taxi since the cable cars will not be operating? Let us know!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sam and Audrilee Clovis, CA
310 Days at Sea
Royal - D+
Celebrity - Elite

Future Cruises:
Sep 2017 - Carnival - Because Sometimes Carnival Happens
Feb 2018 - Constellation 14 day -Singapore-Philippines -Vietnam-Hong Kong
Feb 2018 - Mariner -5 day - Singapore- Thailand - Malaysia

May 2018 - Ovation - 9 day - Japan
Oct 2018 - Anthem 9 day - New England/Canada
Oct 2018 - Anthem 5 day - Bahamas

Feb 2019 - Summit -7 day - Southern Caribbean
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 14 day Argentina - Chile- Around the Horn
Mar 2019 - Eclipse - 15 day - Chile - San Diego
Sechelt, BC & Fort Mohave, AZ
26,709 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We did the taxi tour last month. The fare was 22 GBP for the tour which broke out to 10 GBP for the ride and 12 GBP to enter the Preserve. On the way down the rock we had the option of getting off at the WWII tunnels however the taxi doesn't wait so we elected to do this the next time. The tour took about 1.5 hrs and we quite enjoyed it. There are tons of cabs and it is not necessary to book in advance.

If you just want to go into town there are taxis that shuttle for 3 GBP round trip. They give you a ticket that you use for the return. We used the shuttle for the return from town to pier and it was 3 GBP for the two of us.

Incidentally DW has a folding wheelchair that fit very well in the rear of the taxi.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises

Hawaiian Islands - Star Princess - January 3, 2018

South Pacific & Australia - HAL Noordam - September 30, 2018

Previous Cruises:
Hawaiian Islands - Star Princess - January 4, 2017 .. Scandinavia & Russia - Regal Princess - May 26, 2016 .. Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016 .. British Isles - Royal Princess - Aug 25, 2015 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan 24, 2015 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan 17, 2015 .. Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan 10, 2015 .. Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)
USA
94 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
We'll be visiting Gibraltar for the day in May 2013.

I will be traveling with my family that includes my husband and 2 teens, my mother (who has some mobility issues - needs a walker) and my sis and her husband and their 6 month old baby.

If it was just my husband and kids I'd have no problem just walking around and/or hiring a taxi on the spot if needed. Because of the above though I feel we need to have transportation pre-arranged.

I've looked online at a few private tours and they seem really costly compared to just hiring a taxi on the street. Are these tours worth it?

I'm in the very beginning stages of planing our Gibraltar day so I'm still trying to get an idea of how we should approach our time here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Kristen
Canada
165 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by Kewz1
We'll be visiting Gibraltar for the day in May 2013.

I will be traveling with my family that includes my husband and 2 teens, my mother (who has some mobility issues - needs a walker) and my sis and her husband and their 6 month old baby.

If it was just my husband and kids I'd have no problem just walking around and/or hiring a taxi on the spot if needed. Because of the above though I feel we need to have transportation pre-arranged.

I've looked online at a few private tours and they seem really costly compared to just hiring a taxi on the street. Are these tours worth it?

I'm in the very beginning stages of planing our Gibraltar day so I'm still trying to get an idea of how we should approach our time here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Kristen
We were in Gibraltar in September. Because of the Portuguese port pilot strike our ship had to make serious itinerary changes and we arrived to Gibraltar in different time that was previously scheduled. We booked our tour with John Lopez from http://www.gibraltar-rock-tours.com/.
He was very accommodative when we asked him at the last minute to be in the port at 8:00 am instead of 2:00 pm and was waiting for us just outside the cruise terminal when we got out of the ship.
We had a great 3 hour tour around Gibraltar. It looks that we visited all possible tourist places during this time. As we started our tour in the opposite direction that organized tours usually go we were pretty much alone in the Apes Den, St. Michael cave, Hercules Pillars, Great Siege Tunnels. At the end of the tour he just asked us if we want to stay in the town or want to go back to the ship. We decided to stay in the town, but Main Street was so packed with people that pretty soon we turned back and took a local shuttle minibus to return to the ship.

In general before the cruise we didn’t expect much from Gibraltar port and were pleasantly surprised that we loved it. It is very clean and interesting port. I am sure that people can do Gibraltar on your own, it all depends how much you would like to see in the short port stop and how long are you ready to walk. We wanted to see as much as possible without kilometers of walking as we had two people with some mobility issues and we got exactly what we wished for.
Florida
1,342 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
We just returned from our cruise and we were in Gibraltar last week. We also used John Lopez and can not say enough good things about him. We had a group of 6 and our tour was over 4 hours. He was waiting outside as planned and really made the visit fantastic. He had so much enthusiasm about his city that you could not help but have a great time. We went everywhere in Gibraltar and since we are airline people, our special request was to drive across the runway. (the runway in Gibraltar is cut in half by a road connecting Gibraltar to Spain. WHen planes take off, they have to close the road to traffic) He saved that until the end.....and drove slowly so we could take lots of pictures. If you want to maximize your day, book a tour in advance!
Fort Worth, Texas
1,917 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Esahuma
We are also on this cruise April 2013 and are wondering if you might want to share a taxi since the cable cars will not be operating? Let us know!
We will also be on the cruise with you. How did you find out that the cable cars would not be operating as that is what we planned to do.
Rick
and Happy Thanksgiving
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2004 Volendam to Alaska - 2005 Rhadsody to W Carib
2006 Brilliace to Pan.Canal - 2007 Rhapsody to W Carib
2008 Serenade to So.Carib - 2008 Brilliance to Med
2009 Adventure to So.Carib - 2010 Voyagerto W Carib
2010 Voyager TA BCN to Galv. - 2012 Mariner to W. Carib
2012 Jewel TA Harwich to Bstn. - 2013 Mariner TA to BCN
2014 Equinox Carib - 2014 Connie TA FLL to Ams.
2014 Solstice Honolulu to Sidney
Atlanta, GA
4,157 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by Moose Tracks
The website says the cable car opens at 9:30. Our ship docked at 7 am and we got off right away (it was still dark) and did a slow walk to the cable station just to get an idea of where it was. Just as we were getting there (around 7:45) the ship's excursion bus was pulling up and the ticket office was open. We asked if we could buy our tickets and go up and she said "sure". So we got on the gondola with all the other ship's people and were up the top by 8 am. So if you're in port early and want to do it yourself, check to see if you can get up earlier. While it would have been nice to see some of the sights at the top, we had to be back on board by 1:00 so we admired the view and the monkeys and then walked our way back down to town. The views from the top were amazing.
According to the itinerary, we are in port from 7-4 so hopefully the few extra hours will allow us to not be so rushed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8/26/02 - Carnival Sensation; 4/23/05- Oosterdam; 4/8/06 -Veendam; 1/1/07- Marco Polo to Antarctica; 5/25/07 - 9 night Explorer OTS; 2/16/08 7 night Summit; 3/09/09 - 14 night Coral Princess Full Panama Canal Transit; 11/29/09 - 7 night Liberty OTS; 11/28/10 - 7 Night Solstice; 05/01/11 - 14 Voyager OTS -TA; 9/25/11 - Serenade OTS; 1/21/12 Oasis; 5/27/12 Xpedition -Galapagos Is.; 9/28/12 Monarch OTS Bahamas; 11/25/12 Allure; 4/21/2013 Mariner - TA; 10/29/13 Royal Princess;5/20/14 Equinox Mediterranean;11/02/14 Quatum OTS Maiden;06/06/15 Serenade OTS Arctic Circle

1 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by nonrev1
We just returned from our cruise and we were in Gibraltar last week. We also used John Lopez and can not say enough good things about him. We had a group of 6 and our tour was over 4 hours. He was waiting outside as planned and really made the visit fantastic. He had so much enthusiasm about his city that you could not help but have a great time. We went everywhere in Gibraltar and since we are airline people, our special request was to drive across the runway. (the runway in Gibraltar is cut in half by a road connecting Gibraltar to Spain. WHen planes take off, they have to close the road to traffic) He saved that until the end.....and drove slowly so we could take lots of pictures. If you want to maximize your day, book a tour in advance!
Thankyou for your comments, it's much appreciated. Im glad to know you enjoyed my tour. For the past 20 yrs , my aim has been to provide the best tour service available, to make your visit here a memorable one.
Tour B gives me the opportunity to avoid the crowds and conduct an unrushed tour , visiting all main sites the rock has to offer.
Glad to have been of service.
Take care and all the best.
www.gibraltar-rock-tours.com
John.