Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarstyper View Post
. I'm just having a real hard time justifying $400 in my mind and thinking what I'd rather do with that $400.
jaguar -exactly so. We split the cost w/ another couple but it is still $200 ea. Noting your tag line re the library, I think I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of spending that same $200 at my local book store upon my return, than on what is now for us, an overpriced lounge chair for maybe 5 hours.

Old August 8th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

I soooo want a cabana for our upcoming cruise but I just cant justify that price to myself yet

Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean 1/14
Holland America Zuiderdam Panama Canal 2/13
Norwegian Star 3/12 Western Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 14 day Southern Caribbean Grand Adventure 12/11
Golden Princess Alaska 6/11
Island Princess Panama Canal 1/11
NCL Spirit 1/10
NCL MS Starward 2/1979
Holland American 2/1977 cant remember what ships name was I was only 14

Old August 8th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaella View Post
I am thinking of getting private cabana on Half Moon Cay with HAL cruise. Anyone can comment on this one? Is it worse $ 400, I really think it is going to be great. If you had it in the past, please, share with me.. Where there complimentary fruits, chips, water, fridge? Thank you. PS. Any tips are appreciated.
No, it not "worse" (?worth) the money! It is a waste of money for the few hours that you would be on HMC to use it!

Old August 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It wouldn't be worth the price for us - we're not ones to spend a lot of time at the beach. If you have a group of 4 people and plan to spend the whole day then I can see paying the price - especially if you have someone who can't stay out in the sun a lot, etc.

We just parked ourselves in a hammock in the shade for a while before going to lunch and then walking around the area for a bit.

Old August 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM
5,000+ Club

We paid $250 for the day the first time that we got a cabana. We were at HMC from 9 AM until 5 PM. For that price and duration, I would book it again.

Last year it was up to $299 and it was harder to justify. However, it was my husband's 40th birthday and although he likes being at the beach, he doesn't like being in the sun. We used our OBC for the cabana and spent the day relaxing with a few trips into the water. We arrived around 9 AM and were scheduled to depart at 3. By 1:30, the staff was coming around to remove any leftover food and drinks. Because the day was so short, it didn't feel like we got our money's worth that time.

I really don't think that I would book at cabana for $400, especially for only 4.5 hours. I also wouldn't book one if I planned to wander around HMC or do any excursions. It's nice to have a cabana to get out of the sun and have comfortable loungers, but the price is getting too high!

COMPLETED
Silversea Silver Explorer - Feb '14 - 10 nt. Antarctica (Ushuaia to the Antarctic Peninsula)
=X= Xpedition - Apr, '13 - 13 nt. Galapagos "B"/Machu Picchu (Quito, Baltra, Santiago, Rabida, Bartolome, N. Seymour, Santa Cruz, San Cristobal, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Lima)
=X= Silhouette - Sep '12 - 12 nt. Holy Land (Rome, Santorini, Nazareth, Jerusalem, Alexandria/Cairo, Naples)
RC Adventure - Feb '12 - 7 nt. S. Caribbean (San Juan, St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados)
RC Liberty - Dec '11 - 4 nt. Bahamas (Fort Lauderdale, Coco Cay, Nassau)
HAL Zuiderdam - Apr '11 - 10 nt. Partial Panama Canal (Fort Lauderdale, Half Moon Cay, Aruba, Curacao, Panama Canal, Costa Rica)
RC Serenade - Jan '10 - 7 nt. S. Caribbean (San Juan, Tortola, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada)
HAL Maasdam - Apr '09 - 14 nt. Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, Tortola, Half Moon Cay)
RC Legend - May '08 - 13 nt. Italy/Croatia (Rome, Portofino, Florence/Pisa, Messina, Split, Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples)
RC Sovereign - Jan '08 - 3 nt. Bahamas (Port Canaveral, Nassau, Coco Cay cancelled)
=X= Xpedition - Sept '07 - 10 nt. Galapagos (Baltra, N. Seymour, San Cristobal, Espanola, Santa Cruz, Bartolome, Floreana, Isabela, Fernandina, & Quito, Ecuador)
RC Rhapsody - Jan '07 - 7 nt. W. Caribbean (Galveston, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
RC Radiance - Sept '06 - 7 nt. NB Alaska (Vancouver, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Icy Strait, Seward)
RC Brilliance - Oct '05 - 12 nt. Med Greek Isles (Barcelona, Nice, Florence/Pisa, Naples, Mykonos, Athens, Ephasus, Santorini, Rome)
RC Majesty - Jan '05 - 3 nt. Bahamas (Miami, Coco Cay, Nassau)
RC Rhapsody - Oct '04 - 7 nt. W. Caribbean
RC Monarch - Jun '00 - 7 nt. S. Caribbean

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM
5,000+ Club

We had the pink cabana the first year they were built. $49 with the exact same amenities they have today for $400. I know HAL charges what they can get, but for $400 I would pass. Actually I would pass for a lot less than 400. It's a very short day.

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriatricNurse View Post
No, it not "worse" (?worth) the money! It is a waste of money for the few hours that you would be on HMC to use it!
Because of the rules of this forum no one else commented on the word used, and it did not impact on our understanding of the question. In these days of auto-correct, where often the wrong word in inserted without the user noticing, these things happen.

Old August 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPajama View Post
This is the main thing that may prevent us from opting for a Cabana in the future. Our last time, the interlopers were so close to our steps that we actually had to step around them. We've also had a couple of people ask if they could use our shower. Yes, these things actually happened on a HAL cruise - and it is enough for me to wonder about the security of our things in the Cabana should we want to swim at the same time. And swimming alone is no fun at all.

We have had a cabana every time we have been to HMC, along with the butler service. It was always great, but have to agree with the above. The last 2 times we had people park themselves right at the steps of the cabana, and also take the loungers that were assigned.

On our last visit we had a large group of VERY rude people!! We asked if they would not block the steps but they just ignored us. Our butler finally moved their stuff when they went for lunch. They also complained when we used the shower that their stuff was getting wet (too bad!)

Don't really enjoy the price increase, but do love the service and the cabana (minus the interlopers). On our next visit we plan on having a large enough group to get the Grand Oasis. It is well protected from the "interlopers".

Last edited by Murray's Pop; August 8th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

Old August 8th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

They have wanted to be in the shade right in front of our's before and we had them walk right up the steps to use the shower. We have been generous to loan our mats, etc. to couples with kids that were just in the loungers close by. At $400 we will not be renting on our next cruise.
Princess Sea Princess W. Caribbean 1/01,Princess Alaska 8/96,Emerald Seas,Bahamas 12/83,Princess Crown Princess Hawaii 3/02, Celebrity Summit Ultimate Caribbean 12/09/02, Celebrity Infinity Hawaii 5/03,Princess Pacific Princess Alaska 8/14/03, Celebrity Infinity South America 2/29/04 & 3/14/04, Celebrity Constellation New England/Canada 10/11/04, Celebrity Expedition Galapagos Islands12/03/04,Celebrity Zenith S. Caribbean 12/19/2004,HAL Westerdam E. Caribbean1/23/05, Princess Star Princess Baltic's 5/25/05, RCL Grandeur of the Seas Caribbean 7/22/05, HAL Zuiderdam W.Caribbean 9/24/05, Celebrity Infinity E. Caribbean 2/12/06, Celebrity Millennium Mediterranean 10/28/06, HAL Westerdam E.&W. Caribbean 12/21/06, HAL Zuiderdam E. Caribbean 11/2/07, Celebrity Century Scotland & Ireland 5/29/08, HAL Noordam Caribbean 11/17-12/7/2008, HAL Ryndham Western Caribbean 12/12-20/09, HAL Oosterdam Alaska 9/5-12/2010, HAL Zuiderdam Partial Panama Transit 10/24-11/3,2010, RCL Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - 10/16-23/2011, HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean Collector's Voyage 12/2-23/ 2011, HAL Westerdam Alaska 6/2/2012, HAL Westerdam Western Caribbean Nov/18-25/2012, MCS Divina - Dec. 7-21, 2013 - Caribbean, MSC Divina - Mar. 15-29, 2014 - Caribbean - Nov.8-12, 2014 MSC Divina Celtic Thunder Cruise - Nov. 12-22, 2014 MSC Divina West. Caribbean

Old August 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM
5,000+ Club

HOw much is the 'butler service' now? I'm sure it's great to have, but on top of the $400 rental it makes for a very expensive 4-4 1/2 hours!

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:07 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches from georgia View Post
HOw much is the 'butler service' now? I'm sure it's great to have, but on top of the $400 rental it makes for a very expensive 4-4 1/2 hours!
Still $270.00, until they decide to increase that.

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Add us to the "not for 400 Club." We were all set for the cabana at the prior cost, but in re-evaluating and deciding not to spend the increased amount, we ended up confessing to each other that we didn't enjoy our prior 2 visits (each with clamshell) to HMC all that much anyway! Between slathering on the highest SPF (or covering exposed bits with towels), dealing with the sand, lining up for the barbecue, and spending an hour back in the cabin cleaning-up, we ended up realizing that we were going over because we thought each other wanted to. So we've gone from planning on a cabana to probably not even getting off the ship. Maybe we're just getting old . . . . . .

Amerikanis 1970 (Bermuda)
Majesty of the Seas 2006 (Caribbean)
Westerdam 2008 (Southern Caribbean)
Eurodam 2010 (Ft. Lauderdale - Rome)
Eurodam 2011 (Eastern Caribbean)
Zuiderdam November 2012 (Panama Sunfarer)
Grand Princess Hawaiian Circle October 2013
Oceania Riviera Mayan Mystique March 2014
Coming: Oceania Regatta Miami - San Francisco April 2015
Coming: Grand Princess Alaska Land-Sea July 2015
Coming: Oceania Marina Pacific Serenade Valparaiso - Papeete January 2016

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon1 View Post
Still $270.00, until they decide to increase that.
honest to Pete - $270 + $400???? AT $670 - you'd be better off to find a couple of couples and book the Grand Cabana (or the Oasis as I call it).

You have all your services there + lunch cooked for you - no lineup at the buffet - your own mats, snorkel gear, hot tub, whatever.

Only done it once - but it was fun (and I'm not a cabana fan).

But $670 for those little things? i don't think so

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazu View Post
honest to Pete - $270 + $400???? AT $670 - you'd be better off to find a couple of couples and book the Grand Cabana (or the Oasis as I call it).
Good points Jacqui!

Next time I head to HMC, I will attempt to get the roll call involved in the Grand Cabana. Too late for next week.

HAL, however, will raise the price until they stop selling out all the cabanas.

Only then will prices be reduced.

Counting the days to:

Looking ahead:

HAL Westerdam, September/October 2014 Pacific Coast
Carnival Valor, May 2014 Southern Caribbean
HAL Noordam, October/November 2013 T/A
Carnival Ecstasy, August 2012 Bahamas
Carnival Legend, May 2012 Western Caribbean
HAL Oosterdam, May 2011 Alaska
HAL Zuiderdam, November 2010 Panama Canal
HAL Zuiderdam, June 2010 Alaska (1st Cruise)

Old August 9th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

How much is the Grand Cabana?

As a child, a library card takes you to exotic, faraway places. When you're grown up, a credit card does it.
- Sam Ewing (Readers Digest, Dec, 1997)

Old August 9th, 2012, 06:12 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarstyper View Post
How much is the Grand Cabana?
It was $1200 when we did it - I think it is now $1390 (not 100% sure).

That is for up to 12 people. (anyone in excess is extra).

Hot tubs, stairs to the water, cabanas and the huge cabana - fresh fruit, free drinks, munchies, lunch cooked for the group, etc.

btw - lunch is prepared and served by the PG staff. And there are people there taking care of you the entire time

Hope this helps

Old August 9th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi;
Just googled Carnival and to the best of my knowledge; Carnival is renting the very same cabanas with food / drinks, etc. on Half Moon Cay for $229.99 for 4 persons. You can only rent them when you board the ship. No pre reservations,
I'm sure HAL will push the price up until they see demand drop. IMO, a good value at $229 but not at $399. They have reached our thresh hold! I wonder how many martinis I can get for $400?? LOL
Joe

Old August 9th, 2012, 06:59 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMGiants View Post
Hi;
Just googled Carnival and to the best of my knowledge; Carnival is renting the very same cabanas with food / drinks, etc. on Half Moon Cay for $229.99 for 4 persons. You can only rent them when you board the ship. No pre reservations,
I'm sure HAL will push the price up until they see demand drop. IMO, a good value at $229 but not at $399. They have reached our thresh hold! I wonder how many martinis I can get for $400?? LOL
Joe
I think those cabanas were maxed out price wise at $299.00. $399.00 is off the charts.

Our next stop is from 10AM to 4PM. 399.00 for six hours is out of the question.

Old August 11th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

At $400 we will no longer consider a cabana and just get a clamshell for the short time we will be there.

MS Noordam 2002
MS Oosterdam 2003
Grand Princess 2004
Oceania Insignia 2004
Tahitian Princess March 2005
Coral Princess May 2005
GCT Aria December 2005
Regal Princess April 2006
GCT Aria Eastern Europe August 2006
GCT Anuket Nile Feb. 2007
Celebrity Century British Isles May 2007
Celebrity Mercury Pacific Northwest Sept. 2007