No Carnival stops in Mazatlan thru Jan. 2015

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:50 PM.
SoCal Baby!
3,532 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by MichelleinOC
May take a short land vacation to experience them again.
Let's do it, lol!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Tropicale 85 First Cruise, got hooked!
Commadore Caribe 86 1st Cruise with my future wife! Had separate cabins, lol!
Carnival Jubilee (3) 90, 92, 94 Some of the funnest times!
Carnival Sensation 96
Carnival Elation 97
Carnival Ecstasy 98
Explorer of the Seas 01 First cruise for my boys!!
Princess Star 02 Drama Cruise!
Carnival Spirit 04
Carnival Valor 05
Vision of the Seas 08
Mariner of the Seas 09 Favorite Ship!
Mariner of the Seas 10 Favorite Ship!
Carnival Splendor 12 Cruise with family and sons' future in-laws!
Allure of the Seas 14 Missed the ship in Nassau!
Celebrity Equinox 5/17 Anniversary Cruise!
Princess Ruby ? 10/17
and a few others in between, can't remember!
SoCal Baby!
3,532 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
That's great. I would rather have an extra day in PV than Cabo.
Ditto on that too! I love P.V.!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sensation 96
Carnival Elation 97
Carnival Ecstasy 98
Carnival Spirit 04
Carnival Valor 05
Vision of the Seas 08
Princess Ruby ? 10/17
SoCal Baby!
3,532 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by Jimmanknows
Tacos Gardenias is really good & Gordo Lele's is one of the best places in Cabo for tacos, he does have a storefront and he sings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9bf...eature=related
I second Gordo's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sensation 96
Carnival Elation 97
Carnival Ecstasy 98
Carnival Spirit 04
Carnival Valor 05
Vision of the Seas 08
Princess Ruby ? 10/17
26 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
We have cruised Mexico numerous times and always had a wonderful time in Matzatlan. Never worried one minute. To be honest, I'm more nervous in A LOT of US cities than I ever was in Mexico. Just be smart and stay in the tourist areas - no worries.
san fernando valley
5,719 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by Jimmanknows
Tacos Gardenias is really good & Gordo Lele's is one of the best places in Cabo for tacos, he does have a storefront and he sings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9bf...eature=related
Unfortunately, he doesn't always sing when he is asked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Fresno, California
119 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by im4golf
That being the case, why would anybody book the 7 day Riveria to Cabo and PV, when they can book the 6 day for cheaper and still see Cabo and P.V. The only difference being u are 2 days in Cabo. (which doesn't appeal to me because for 2 days, u have to take the tender in)
I would love to spend two days in Cabo. It's one of my favorites. It would be nice to have one day for beach relaxing and one day for something more active.

As far as tenders go I think Cabo is pretty easy.

I am not a fan of Mazatlan.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

*Joanna*

Cocktails first. Questions Later.

SoCal, USA
6,342 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
It looks like Holland America is staying two days in PV. I wish Princess would follow suit and have two days in PV as opposed to Cabo. I like Cabo but I like PV much more.

I don't have plans to cruise the Mexican Riviera this or next year. However, I will be ready to cruise there again in 2014. I can't go more than 2-3 years without cruising down to Mexico. I may have to book with Holland America but will wait and see how things play out over the next year and a half or so.
Last December on the Oosterdam we overnighted in Puerto Vallarta. The neat thing was you didn't have to be back on the ship at any certain time that first evening, the gangway was open ALL night. Can't do that when you overnight in Cabo.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
^_^
born2tvl at yahoo dot com (please put "Cruise Critic" in subject line)
CRUISERS from California - Click here

UPCOMING CRUISES:

GREAT MEMORIES: NCL Dawn W. Caribbean (7 days) March 2017 ~ Westerdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Oct 2016 (4 stars! ) ~ Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2016 ~ NCL Sun Mexican Riviera (w/ Acapulco and Manzanillo) (11 days) October 2015 (the sweet suite life!) ~ Noordam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2015 (Bronze Medallion!) ~ Noordam Pacific Coastal (4 days) May 2015 ~ Zuiderdam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2013 ~ Zuiderdam Pacific Coastal (4 days) May 2013 ~ Zaandam Mexican Riviera (w/ Loreto) (8 days) Apr 2013 ~ Oosterdam Circle Hawaii (14 days) Mar 2012 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Dec 2011 ~ Oosterdam Sea of Cortez (10 days) Apr 2011 (Mother/Daughter Cruise!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2010 (First DVS & Neptune Lounge!) ~ Carnival Spirit Alaska (7 days) June 2010 (aft-wrap!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2009 ~ NCL Star CTN (2 days) Nov 2009 ~ Carnival Elation Baja Mexico (5 days) Jan 2009 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Apr 2008 ~ Golden Princess Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2007 ~ Monarch of the Seas Baja Mexico (3 days) Jun 2005 ~ Ryndam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2003 ~ Viking Serenade Baja Mexico (4 days) Apr 2001 (Dad's 85th B-Day!) ~ Maasdam Panama Canal (full transit) (10 days) Apr 2000 ~ Rotterdam V Alaska (7 days) Aug 1997 (I'm hooked!)
Irvine, CA
8,578 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by dobiemom
Last December on the Oosterdam we overnighted in Puerto Vallarta. The neat thing was you didn't have to be back on the ship at any certain time that first evening, the gangway was open ALL night. Can't do that when you overnight in Cabo.
That does sound great. If I venture back down to the Mexican Riviera for a cruise I may have to check out Holland America.
Arizona
155 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
We have had nothing but positive experiences in ALL the ports on the Mexican Riviera. We wish whatever problem the cruise industry and Mazatlan have gets resolved soon. There are myriad opportunities for the cruise lines on the underdeveloped (cruise-tourist wise) western coasts of the US and Mexico.

Fair winds...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Serenade of the Seas, Oct. 2012 W. Med
Navigator of the Seas, Mar. 2012 E. Carib
Carnival Inspiration, Jan. 2012 Baja Mex.
Carnival Paradise, Feb. 2011 Baja Mex
Carnival Paradise, Jan. 2011 Baja Mex.
ms Oosterdam, Nov. 2010 Mex. Riv.
Carnival Glory, Apr. 2010 W. Carib
Radiance of the Seas, Dec. 2009 Xmas/New Year Mex. Riv.
Carnival Valor, Sep. 2009 W. Carib
Dawn Princess, Apr. 2008 Mex. Riv.
ms Zuiderdam, Mar. 2007 E. Carib
USS Constellation CV-64 1987-1990
USS Prairie AD-15 1981-1984

Irvine, CA
8,578 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by slenmargni
We have had nothing but positive experiences in ALL the ports on the Mexican Riviera. We wish whatever problem the cruise industry and Mazatlan have gets resolved soon. There are myriad opportunities for the cruise lines on the underdeveloped (cruise-tourist wise) western coasts of the US and Mexico.

Fair winds...
While I am definitely an advocate for cruises to the Mexican Riveria and I do have a special place in my heart for Mazatlan, you just can't ignore what is going on in the state of Sinaloa in Mexico. Mazatlan is in that state. It is such a shame for the hardworking folks in Mazatlan. I can't even imagine what they are experiencing.