Last night on Century

4 cruisers

We sadly are on the last night of our cruise using up our internet minutes. We have had a great cruise...met some fellow cruise critics at our party...hotel manager and cruise director both came and were very charming!!! Just had a little get together in our room with some wonderful cruisers...must be part of why we really enjoy Celebrity!

We actually had Lawrence and he was as sweet as everyone describes! He helped our "teen" get his tux "right" after he rejected our help LOL! (he is in our hearts after that one!)! Loved our waiters and room steward(ess)s. There is a definite problem with sewage smell outside the 1040 area...creeps into our bathroom now and then...maybe pick the odd cabins next time....???

Hope all after us have as much fun as we have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nanette

Nanette,

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful cruise, and thanks for sharing your experiences. I am concerned, however, about the sewage smell you were mentioning. I will be in cabin 1050 during the transatlantic sailing on Century. Do you think that the odor will be noticeable down the hall around our cabin? Also, were you in an inside cabin? Were you happy with it? Was the bathroom clean and fresh? When we were recently on the Galaxy my husband and I had to change cabins due to a sewage odor in our bathroom.

Thanks again for your comments, Nanette.

madforcruising, 1030-1044 was the area we noticed it in the most. I think you should be fine! 3 cabins out of our group had inside cabins in that area and the only one that had the smell inside their cabin one night was 1044. The last night, our bathroom was pretty smelly...we kept the bathroom door closed. The strangest thing is that the day we got off the smell was gone!

Oh and the inside cabins were just lovely! My parents had the concierge class outside with a window and have decided that they like the inside on that floor just as well for next time!

Most of the crew is going on with you to Barcelona and seem to be looking forward to it! I'm sure it will be such a nice trip!!!! We have decided that when our son graduates (4 years from now) we would love to do that crossing!!! Let us know all about it when you get back!!!

Nanette

Just wanted to say a little about the sewage odor. I notice quite a few threads about sewage odors on a lot of the boards. While understanding that no one should have to tolerate a continuous odor in there cabin, I think we all need to understand that a ships plumbing is quite different from what we are all used to at home. I think it is to be expected that at times there may be odors from the plumbing system. It seems from my own experiences on ships and from everything I have read this can be more pronounced as ships age. It has also been my experience that these type odors can be more pronounced when the ship is docked and not underway. I am just guessing that it may have to do with the venting system being more efficient when the ship is moving. I think that in most cases the odor has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the ship. I would also recommend that if you notice odors when you first board a ship you may want to wait until the ship is underway and then see if the odor disappears.

I also do not know if most people have noticed but on all ships I have sailed there are access doors in the passageway outside each cabin. If you notice t hese doors will be located on the back side of the wall that is the bathroom in the cabin. This is how the plumbing pipes are accessed for routine maintenace and emergencies such as clogs. You can then imagine that it would not take a very big leak or other problem to create odors in the hallways and cabins. Next time you cruise and are walking down those long passageways take a look and you will see what I am talking about. You may also at some point see a crewmember working on the plumbing.

I just realized it was Vigo Spain, not Barcelona! Oops! We were in Vigo 28 years ago!!!! Then on north. Very interesting itinerary for a crossing, actually!!! Have a great time!!!

Kenlnh, thank you for that information! I now have a better understanding of "why." The thing is that I guess it is just a matter of luck if you end up with a cabin that has that problem...we didn't complain because we figured it was not worth ruining our otherwise wonderful cruise over (plus the fact that it wasn't constant INSIDE our room...the hall area that I referred to, on the other hand, was truly terrible the entire trip). When we were sailing it was much better inside our cabin except for that last day...so that kind've shot the more ventilation when cruising theory. I would pick the other side of the ship the next time though for sure because 1045 never had this problem.

I beg to differ.I have spent 25 years repairing boats of all sizes, and if you smell it, there is a leak period.

This is a vacuflush system and the only difference is the plumbing is sucked instead of gravity flushed.

This is all the more reason why there should be no odor.

It's like gasoline, one drop and the sensors go off.

MP3Jrick

Thanks for your insight. As I said I was just guessing and adding my personal experiences to the subject. I do think however that some people think that everything on a ship should function as it does at home or on land and I do not think that is a reasonable expectation. Again no one should have to tolerate unpleasant odors for any length of time in there cabin. Having experince on ships plumbing systems I am sure you can testify to the fact that at times people will flush foreign objects into the system and this will cause major clogs and possibly leaks. I can only imagine that once a leak occurs and things get wet it is hard to eliminate any odors until things dry out. Which on a ship in tight compartments may take a while.

As for odors disappearing when the ship is underway I have to stick to my story on that. I have personally experienced this on several ships with the most pronounced being Norwegian Wind and Veendam. On Norwegian Wind I was on one of the lower passenger decks and whenever we were in port there was a distinctive sewage smell present in several different areas on that deck. On Veendam there was a horrible odor present just outside the dining room on just about every evening. I would describe it as a cross between sewage and the smell of a kitchen scullery. If anyone has every been in the military and had the distinct pleasure of working in the scullery (the area where dishes are washed and food is removed from them) you will know what I am talking about. Or if anyone has replaced a drain hose on there dishwasher at home you will probably know what I am talking about.

I guess what I am getting at is we all must realize that ships are very large complex machines that also must function 24 hours a day seven days a week and be subjected to sometimes violent motion due to sea conditions. I think that it is only reasonable to expect that things such as pipes will occasionally suffer from these conditons and subsequently leak. Fortunately most cruise lines seem to be very good at limiting these occurences so that we can all enjoy our time onboard.

Nanette and all. I see your cabin was next to a stairwell. Many times on several ships I've noticed a rather odorous smell in stairwells, especially in the early morning. I've concluded that it's not sewage, but rather stinky insecticide that is sprayed regularily around the ship, probably in the very early morning when most guests are sleeping. As said in a previous post, these are vacumn sewer systems. I wonder if my conclusion could be the problem.

Coming from a homeowner for 30 years.It was a combination of sewage and mold smell. I kept thinking that the bathroom shower and toilet area needed calking. Where moisture goes...mold grows. We did see the plumber in the next suite, so I have no doubt that they are dealing with it. Flushing was always fine, actually...drains were slow occasionally...perhaps this is a clue?!

Anyway, as a CC member, I always appreciate when fellow members pass on info on cabins and that is the only reason I mentioned this. The other reason I'd pick the other side of the ship is that the views in ports were better on that particular itinerary.

Hope when she goes into drydock in Jan or Feb that they fix this and add electrical outlets to the RS's (one plug for a family with 3 ipods, video camera, digital camera, laptop, hairdryer, elect. rollers, curling iron and hair straightener is just not enough! LOL!).

Hi Nanette!

Glad to hear you had a great time. Patti and I have booked a 10 day on HAL's Volendam for next January.

Toni

ps Vegas was great too...sorry you couldn't make it

Archived