Noro outbreak on glory

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:27 AM.
#81
Tampa area, FL
2,385 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/norovirus/Norovirus.htm

CDC information about norovirus
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1995 Carnival Ecstasy (Miami): Key West, Cozumel
2004 Carnival Triumph (Miami): St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan
2005 Carnival Victory (Miami): Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman
2006 RCCI Enchantment of Seas (FLL): Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman
2006 Carnival Elation (FLL): St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan
2007 Carnival Glory (Port Canaveral): St. Thomas, Nassau, Grand Turk, HMC
2011 Carnival Inspiration (Tampa): Cozumel
2012 Carnival Freedom (FLL): St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau
2013 Carnival Legend (Tampa): Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman
2014 Carnival Liberty (PC): Nassau, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
2015 Carnival Paradise (Tampa): Cozumel -- New Year's Eve at Sea!
2016 Carnival Conquest (FLL): St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk
2016 Carnival Paradise (Tampa): Cozumel -- NYE Rewind!
2017 Carnival Fascination (SJ): St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia
2017 Carnival Paradise (Tampa): Cozumel, Grand Cayman -- NYE Re-Rewind!
#84
New York
14 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Hi Kathy! Hope you guys are feeling better. It was nice to meet you and Lynn at our cruise critic meet and greet on the Glory. My two kids got sick also (didn't do any club activities). We were having an excellent time until Wednesday in the middle of the night when my daughter and then son started getting seriously ill like they never had before. By 5:00 am Thursday 8/9 I dialed 911.The nurse said to come right down.The nurse said she had been up for 24 hours straight caring for sick kids and a few adults with the same symptoms. My kids were each given a shot which stopped the vomiting withing 2 hours.Bathroom trips however continued for some time.They were quarentined in their room until Friday at 9am when the nurse saw them again.We were not able to get off in Halifax which was the whole reason we took this cruise.I was told by Guest Relations on the ship that the CDC boarded the Glory in Halifax on 8/9/12 due to so many being ill and did an inspection. I emailed the CDC when I got home to ask for a copy of the report when available.Thank God for our cabin steward, Jamar, who also received a generous tip from us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Claire
#85
Upstate NY
8,770 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by Fosterbob
I was told by Guest Relations on the ship that the CDC boarded the Glory in Halifax on 8/9/12 due to so many being ill and did an inspection. I emailed the CDC when I got home to ask for a copy of the report when available.Thank God for our cabin steward, Jamar, who also received a generous tip from us.
Hi Claire! Sorry your kids got hit as well. Steven and I were able to do our excursion in Halifax, but Matt wasn't able to go so DH stayed behind with him. When we finished the excursion we went back aboard the ship - and were right behind the Canadian Health inspectors who boarded the ship. I can't say enough about the crew - they were great.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy

Carnival Victory, 6/28/04; Carnival Conquest, 7/3/05; Carnival Legend, 6/29/06; Carnival Victory, 8/31/06; Carnival Liberty, 2/17/07; Carnival Victory, 8/11/07; Carnival Valor, 2/17/08; Carnival Victory, 8/18/08; Carnival Glory, 2/14/09; Carnival Miracle, 7/19/09; Carnival Conquest, 2/14/10; Carnival Pride, 7/4/10; Carnival Glory, 9/2/10; Carnival Glory, 7/2/11; Carnival Fantasy, 8/13/11; Carnival Pride, 7/1/12; Carnival Glory, 8/6/12; Carnival Legend, 7/3/13; Carnival Miracle, 7/15/14; Carnival Glory, 8/2/14; Carnival Breeze, 7/4/15; Carnival Vista, 7/19/16; Carnival Pride, 7/2/17; Carnival Horizon, 7/3/18.

#86
Nashville TN
76 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Sorry to hear that anyone got sick. I hope you all recover quickly. It always sucks to get sick on a vacation. We will be sailing in less than 6 weeks on the Carnival Glory, hope the ship is super clean and that no one else gets sick in the coming weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#87
New York
14 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
[quote=mome2josh;34901281]We were also on the Glory. Our son got Noro pretty bad. He did not participate in any of the Circle C activities but did spend time in the arcade. Dr. on board said it started in the Teenage population. I can guarantee more than 212 people on board were ill. The infirmary was packed and our family witnessed people getting sick a number of times. I think a lot of people did not report it. Unfortunately some selfish person got off the ship in Halifax and then vomited on the sidewalk in town.
That being said. The staff on the ship were more than accommodating. They refunded shore excursions and services purchased that were unusable because of the illness. No questions asked. My room steward payed excellent attention to cleaning our room as well as the many others in our hallway that were experiencing the illness. We had a balcony room, so I left the door open as much as possible to let fresh air in. The crew was cleaning like crazy.
Other than the virus putting a damper on our cruise, we did manage to enjoy it. Weather was absolutely perfect.[/quot

I agree....way more than 212 must have been affected.I heard people vomiting on their balconys (from mine), in their rooms (as I walked down the halls), smelled it in the casino by the portraits, at the elevators, on the stairs, there were barf bags on the desk at guest relations (classy) and that area smelled like vomit too. Once I went up to the serenity lounge I wondered why no one was at the lounge chairs until I smelled crap.The workers did however seem to be trying to stay on top of it but it was just too much. When I took my kids in to the infirmary at 5am Thursday the nurse (who was very kind) said she had been up for 24 hours caring for sick kids and adults with the same symptoms. The office and bathrooms looked like some very bad things had happened there. There were 2 sick kids in there at the time. I spoke to many people who didn't report it because they didn't want to be quarentined and some who reported one family member but not the rest. Maybe if the cruise line offered them $200 credit per person they would stay in their room and not keep spreading it. Sadly, the cruise lines would probably prefer people not to report it so it doesn't mar their reputation.I kept my kids in the room (none of us got off in Nova Scotia) until I took them to the nurse to be released 24 hours later.By the grace of God I did not get sick, I am however a self proclaimed fanatical hand washer. Waiting to hear from CDC to see if their inspection of the Glory in Nova Scotia came up with anything (hopefully it was just noro and nothing worse). Hope everyone is feeling better!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Claire
#88
New York
14 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by nybumpkin
Hi Claire! Sorry your kids got hit as well. Steven and I were able to do our excursion in Halifax, but Matt wasn't able to go so DH stayed behind with him. When we finished the excursion we went back aboard the ship - and were right behind the Canadian Health inspectors who boarded the ship. I can't say enough about the crew - they were great.
The crew did do their best. It was, I know, a lot for them to handle. Hope the people who went out after us don't experience the same troubles. I feel bad for the people who were cruising for the first (maybe last) time. I asked my kids if they would go on a cruise again. My son did say he would cruise again but to some place warm, my daughter didn't answer me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Claire
#89
2,513 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Gailerina
Blah

This just makes me wonder how often people get on a ship knowing they are sick....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!
So which side of the coin are you on;

You pay your money,
get to the port,
spend the night (or not)
and wake up with the stomach flu

Do you go get on the ship, or say, "I don't want to take the chance on getting other people sick, I better just go home."

Insurance, no insurance, which side of the coin are you on?

Having had this happen, in 2007 when going on the Liberty in late October, we traveled from Colorado to to Miami, by way of Dallas layover. We ate lunch in the airport in Dallas at a name resturant (I think it was tgi fridays) had prepared sandwiches from their counter window.

Had a long wait to get to Florida and then when late getting in, we went to the hotel, asked about ordering Pizza, and did from a local place near the hotel,

Ate dinner and at 3 in the morning I was sick on the floor (no I do not drink) could barely move.

That morning in line to check in I was sweating, and still very sick to my stomach, going to the bathroom every 15 minutes or so it seamed like. and YES we still went on the ship, I slept for a few hours, ate light, and after a day, I was feeling better.

So yes, I would be on the get on the ship anyway side of the coin.

Where are you?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Cruise History;
1. Nov 16 2003 Paradise (when it WAS Paradise and smoke free) Exotic Western, cabin E187
2. Oct 13 2007 Liberty, Eastern, cabin 8299
3. April 26 2009 Splendor, Mexican Riviera (by way of San Fransisco), cabin 7378
4. April 24 2010 Dream, Eastern, cabin 6380
5. Jan 29 2012 Valor, Western (with extended family) cabin 1322
6. Dec 9 2012 Splendor Mexican Riviera (take 2) cabin 1019 first time SPA
7. Oct 12 2013 Liberty, Eastern, cabin 1002, Eastern Liberty part 2
8. Sept 13 2014 Liberty, Eastern, Cabin 1004
9. March 14 2015, Breeze, Eastern Southern, Cabin 9209
#90
1,752 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by KinCollector
Hospital staff are taught to actively rub hands together with soap for 15 seconds, then rinse. How long is that? Sing (to yourself) the A-B-C song or Happy Birthday, TWICE. That's 15 seconds. What I noticed on my last cruise is people who had no clue what the little papers on or beside the exit door were. I saw women using a fistful of those towels to dry their hands. The restroom was well equipped with air blowing dryers. When I suggested those papers were for opening the door, I got a "deer in the headlights" stare. Probably useless to post a sign for these people.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. It had been 8 years since I had cruised and as soon as I saw that, I knew what it was for and I definitely used it (even though I had tissue of my own to do this anyway).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


2001 Carnival Inspiration
2004 Carnival Conquest
2012 Carnival Conquest
2013 Navigator of the Seas
#91
Upstate NY
8,770 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by Fosterbob
I feel bad for the people who were cruising for the first (maybe last) time. I asked my kids if they would go on a cruise again. My son did say he would cruise again but to some place warm, my daughter didn't answer me.
Despite our adventures on this one, 16 YO is already lamenting the fact that he has 10 months until his next cruise. Part of it is that he's had so many good experiences he figures this was not in the ordinary. Not that he hasn't been sick on cruise ships in the past - seven years ago we did an excursion in Jamaica that involved a crazy van driver and bad roads, and both he and the younger son didn't fare well. In fact, they preferred the Noro on this cruise. They got through it much easier.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy

Carnival Victory, 6/28/04; Carnival Conquest, 7/3/05; Carnival Legend, 6/29/06; Carnival Victory, 8/31/06; Carnival Liberty, 2/17/07; Carnival Victory, 8/11/07; Carnival Valor, 2/17/08; Carnival Victory, 8/18/08; Carnival Glory, 2/14/09; Carnival Miracle, 7/19/09; Carnival Conquest, 2/14/10; Carnival Pride, 7/4/10; Carnival Glory, 9/2/10; Carnival Glory, 7/2/11; Carnival Fantasy, 8/13/11; Carnival Pride, 7/1/12; Carnival Glory, 8/6/12; Carnival Legend, 7/3/13; Carnival Miracle, 7/15/14; Carnival Glory, 8/2/14; Carnival Breeze, 7/4/15; Carnival Vista, 7/19/16; Carnival Pride, 7/2/17; Carnival Horizon, 7/3/18.

#92
PA
3 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Three out of the Four of us on this cruise became very ill with the bug. My kids awoke late Wednesday evening vomiting and then I started by Thursday morning. I called the medical department and we all had to go down to fill out paperwork and they dispensed anti-vomiting medication which did help and told us to remain in our cabin for 24 hours or until cleared. I am very disappointed at the way Carnival handled the situation. They continued to make the announcement to make sure you are washing your hands but I was surprised they did not ask people if they were experiencing any symptoms to contact the medical team to report the issue. I know we completed forms for the CDC but the majority did not. My husband went up to numerous parents to let them know they would provide the medicine for their children at no charge and it helped us and most were surprised that was even an option. He said he saw so many sick people throughout the ship. I really felt that Carnival did not want the people reporting it since then it would be documented and now it looks like only 200 people were ill which is a very low number based on the number I saw in my short time in the waiting area. I know it is not Carnivals fault and I have sailed 3 times with them but will look else where in the future do to the way the situation was handled.
#93
Denver, CO
820 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by waldocruiser1
So which side of the coin are you on;

You pay your money,
get to the port,
spend the night (or not)
and wake up with the stomach flu

Do you go get on the ship, or say, "I don't want to take the chance on getting other people sick, I better just go home."

Insurance, no insurance, which side of the coin are you on?

Having had this happen, in 2007 when going on the Liberty in late October, we traveled from Colorado to to Miami, by way of Dallas layover. We ate lunch in the airport in Dallas at a name resturant (I think it was tgi fridays) had prepared sandwiches from their counter window.

Had a long wait to get to Florida and then when late getting in, we went to the hotel, asked about ordering Pizza, and did from a local place near the hotel,

Ate dinner and at 3 in the morning I was sick on the floor (no I do not drink) could barely move.

That morning in line to check in I was sweating, and still very sick to my stomach, going to the bathroom every 15 minutes or so it seamed like. and YES we still went on the ship, I slept for a few hours, ate light, and after a day, I was feeling better.

So yes, I would be on the get on the ship anyway side of the coin.

Where are you?
The sequence of events points at a run-of-the-mill food poisoning, which doesn't make you contagious. I've been there - I was also good as new in about 24 hours.
If you are at home up until the day of your cruise, you didn't travel or eat out at restaurants of questionable sanitary standards, and you are sick and vomiting for over 24 hours for no apparent reason - that would be a different story.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RC Grandeur of the Seas (New England/Canada) 10/15
Island Princess (Alaska) 09/14
Emerald Princess (TA) 09/12
RC Allure of the Seas (W. Caribbean) 09/11
Celebrity Mercury (Alaska) 05/10
Azamara Journey (British Isles & W. Europe) 05/09
Carnival Freedom (W. Mediterranean) 05/08
Celebrity Century (Baltic & N. Europe) 08/07
#94
2,513 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Illyria
The sequence of events points at a run-of-the-mill food poisoning, which doesn't make you contagious. I've been there - I was also good as new in about 24 hours.
If you are at home up until the day of your cruise, you didn't travel or eat out at restaurants of questionable sanitary standards, and you are sick and vomiting for over 24 hours for no apparent reason - that would be a different story.
That is my point, at the time I did not know what I had, but I knew I could not afford to stay in the hotel until our return flight, or to change flights to go home early. I did watch what I did for the first day, and after a few hours felt it was food poisoning. We were afraid someone would ask why I was sweating at 10 in the morning, inside the building, but they did not and we had a great time.

And I was able to loose the post cruise weight, before the cruise started. Ha Ha.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Cruise History;
1. Nov 16 2003 Paradise (when it WAS Paradise and smoke free) Exotic Western, cabin E187
2. Oct 13 2007 Liberty, Eastern, cabin 8299
3. April 26 2009 Splendor, Mexican Riviera (by way of San Fransisco), cabin 7378
4. April 24 2010 Dream, Eastern, cabin 6380
5. Jan 29 2012 Valor, Western (with extended family) cabin 1322
6. Dec 9 2012 Splendor Mexican Riviera (take 2) cabin 1019 first time SPA
7. Oct 12 2013 Liberty, Eastern, cabin 1002, Eastern Liberty part 2
8. Sept 13 2014 Liberty, Eastern, Cabin 1004
9. March 14 2015, Breeze, Eastern Southern, Cabin 9209
#95
St. Cloud, Fl
10,442 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by SueWC
Three out of the Four of us on this cruise became very ill with the bug. My kids awoke late Wednesday evening vomiting and then I started by Thursday morning. I called the medical department and we all had to go down to fill out paperwork and they dispensed anti-vomiting medication which did help and told us to remain in our cabin for 24 hours or until cleared. I am very disappointed at the way Carnival handled the situation. They continued to make the announcement to make sure you are washing your hands but I was surprised they did not ask people if they were experiencing any symptoms to contact the medical team to report the issue. I know we completed forms for the CDC but the majority did not. My husband went up to numerous parents to let them know they would provide the medicine for their children at no charge and it helped us and most were surprised that was even an option. He said he saw so many sick people throughout the ship. I really felt that Carnival did not want the people reporting it since then it would be documented and now it looks like only 200 people were ill which is a very low number based on the number I saw in my short time in the waiting area. I know it is not Carnivals fault and I have sailed 3 times with them but will look else where in the future do to the way the situation was handled.
Seriously??? How they handled it? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out one needs anti nausea medicine from the infirmary. Each passenger must be TOLD the medicine is available? Do you think other cruiselines do that?
#96
Bath, PA
172 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by ChefSusan
We're good to go - armed with oodles amounts of hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, and our own supply of Cipro... Stinks that we're going thru this, but so grateful that we got the email notification yesterday afternoon that something was amiss on Glory :-(
Does Cipro work for Norovirus?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda & John



Uniworld River Cruise Amsterdam to Budapest
RCI New England & Canada
#97
Florida
8,144 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
I believe noro is a virus so no antibiotics would work but I not positive....I have boxes of Xifaxan if antibiotics would help Im sure the ones I have are the best for that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature






Harmony of the Seas, May 2017
NCL Getaway, May 2016
Carnival Magic, April 2016
Carnival Fascination, December 2015
Oasis of the Seas, October 2015
Carnival Valor, May 2015
Regal Princess, September 2014
Allure of the Seas, 5-11/2014
Carnival Fascination, April 2014
Allure of the Seas, October 2013
NCL Breakaway, June 2013
Carnival Fascination, May 2013
Freedom of the Seas, October 2012
Carnival Dream, May 2012
Monarch of the Seas, Decembher 2012
Freedom of the Seas, July 2011
Liberty of the Seas, May 2011
#98
Bath, PA
172 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by nybumpkin
We just disembarked Glory this morning. DH and I were fine, but the boys got the bug. It seemed the kids were especially hard hit on this one. It was unbelievable how fast it spread. And yes, the crew has been working like mad to clean everything.
Was there an announcement that Norvirus was onboard?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda & John



Uniworld River Cruise Amsterdam to Budapest
RCI New England & Canada
#99
Bath, PA
172 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
[quote=Amy Giard;34890954]
Originally posted by ChefSusan
clorox wipesquote]

clorox wipes
will not kill Noro from surfaces...

You need Clorox Clean Up with Bleach
Thanks for the info...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda & John



Uniworld River Cruise Amsterdam to Budapest
RCI New England & Canada
Bath, PA
172 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
[quote=Amy Giard;34890954]
Originally posted by ChefSusan
clorox wipesquote]

clorox wipes
will not kill Noro from surfaces...

You need Clorox Clean Up with Bleach
'Redi Wipes Disinfecting' also kill Norovirus. Found it at Wal-mart...

Amphyl III Disinfectant Deodorant Spray for Hospital Use kills Norovirus. Found it on Amazon
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda & John



Uniworld River Cruise Amsterdam to Budapest
RCI New England & Canada