Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old August 15th, 2012, 06:16 PM
"Official"

Default A Message from Celebrity Marketing

August 15, 2012

Celebrity Cruises Cruise Critic Members & Readers

Thanks for welcoming me and my recent post.

In this post, we would like to address some of the comments regarding our CelebrityCruises.com site, and provide you with an update to let you know what to expect in the future.

First and foremost, we not only carefully review and evaluate CruiseCritic comments, we also receive feedback internally; externally from research; and also through consumer testing and performance studies. We know that the Celebrity website isn’t where we’d like it to be, and we want you to know that we’re addressing the issues you and our other audiences have told us about. While we’ve been lauded for the images and design of our website, the transactional performance of the site does not reflect the experience that we deliver onboard our ships, but we’re working towards achieving that.

Onboard, online, through our call centers – at every turn, our goal is to provide the best experience possible for our guests. When it comes to CelebrityCruises.com, we are still working to get there, and we ask for your patience and continued support.

Here are the key issues that you have helped us identify, and updates on where we are with improving them:

• Online Check In – Online check in is one of our major undertakings for the coming year. We are committed to improving this process and make the system more user friendly. This is not a quick fix as the system is integrated across many areas. We’ll advise of progress being made as we move forward with this initiative.
  • Specific Stateroom Selection – This is being addressed and the resolution is expected to be implemented next month, pending testing of the fix. If we experience any issues during testing that affect a September release we’ll advise soonest.
  • Cruise Search Engine Browser Issues – We are optimized for the major browsing platforms. We are working on improving the functionality of dropdown lists and expect to have this resolved by late September. Functionally the dropdown works, but is not visually represented in a user friendly manner. If there are specific issues with Cruise Search Engine on your browser, please provide specifics, as we’ve tested this thoroughly.
  • Page Loading Time – This is seen primarily with the transactional pages mentioned above and experienced on select additional areas which are dependent on other backend systems to complete the page. We are working with our internal IT department to look for solutions related to these transactional systems. As we evaluate the possibility of “reimagining” these areas of the site, delivering the best user experience will drive our efforts. In the short term, we’ll continue to make minor adjustments to the structure of our pages in an attempt to drive improved load times.

While we know this list hits only some the most major issues represented in your helpful posts, we want to let you know that we’re aware of all the issues you’ve mentioned. As we’re able to resolve items and introduce enhancements, we’ll share updates here.

As we mentioned at the beginning, our goal is to deliver a website experience that rivals our Celebrity onboard experience. It will take us some time to get there, but we are committed to doing so. If our website experience can garner half the love that you have for our cruise vacations, we’ll consider that progress. To get the full amount of excitement and appreciation for our website that you have for our cruise vacations, we’ll consider that success.

Thanks for being such passionate and enthusiastic customers and helping us get better in all that we do.

Sincerely,

Brian

Brian P. Powell
Associate Vice President, Marketing

Celebrity Cruises

Last edited by Celebrity Cruises; August 15th, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Old August 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you for the update!

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Old August 15th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Nice to know they ARE doing something. In the meantime, I was able to open the pdf of tours for January cruise. Now if only my vacation time was approved, I'd tell you if the reservation site works

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the update.

Have any of you looked at your site on an iPad or, even worse, tried to use it on an iPad? Not pretty. 84 million iPads have been sold and the Celebrity website is far less iPad friendly than Princess, HAL, Disney, etc. You are going to be losing customers if you don't address this issue.

P.S. -- It's nice to see someone from Celebrity posting here. If you are looking for a good example of how to use social media, you might want to look at Starwood. On travel-related and other more general forums (e.g., Flyertalk, Facebook, Twitter, etc.), Starwood has social media savvy posters identified as Starwood Lurkers who are exceedingly knowledgable about their brand, act as ombudsman for people with problems, show their personality by using humor, and act as excellent representatives for their Brand. Sometimes they engage in tough love with their customers but always in a way that enhances the brand.
Past Cruises: Celebrity Millenium - July 2013 (Alaska); Celebrity Silhouettte - July 2012 (Adriatic & Mediterranean); Disney Magic - July 2011; Celebrity Solstice - July 2010 (Western Caribbean); HAL Zaandam - August 2009 (Alaska); Sapphire Princess - March 2009 (Mexican Riviera); Celebrity Infinity - August 2008 (Alaska); Carnival Triumph - November 2004 (Eastern Caribbean); Carnival Carnivale - June 1981 (Eastern Caribbean); NCL Skyward - March 1979 (Eastern Caribbean); Carnival Mardi Gras - June 1978 (Eastern Caribbean)

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree, I would like them to make the site more iPad friendly. Hopefully Brian will visit CC more often!
Seaborne Quest Baltic 5/13/14

Upcoming :
Celebrity Silhouette , Holy land 10/18/14.
B2B Transatlantic 11/1/14
Oceania Riviera , Caribbean 1/24/15
Seabourn Quest. Brazil >FLL >Barcelona 3/17/15
B2B Mediterranean 4/14-28/15

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the update. I'm really glad you are working to improve the website. It is one of the few things I don't like about Celebrity. If you can make it easier to check in online, book excursions and make reservations for restaurants, you will have our gratitude.

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:45 PM
5,000+ Club

I am incredibly encouraged by Brian's post both because he understands the issues and there is now hope.....but also because Brian is posting on cruise critic and hopefully will chime in when appropriate on other threads. It is so refreshing to see a name on posts that previously came from a title with no name. Brian, welcome again and I hope you will continue to participate here....and that folks here will not expect you to solve individual issues (unless you volunteer to help, of course)

Old August 15th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the update.

Mary Lou

Old August 15th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you, Brian Powell, for paying attention to our complaints about the Celebrity web site. We look forward to the changes.

Old August 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM
5,000+ Club

Thank you Brian Powell for your detailed report for the Cruise Critic membership. It's encourging to see that our concerns have your attention, and that there will be changes in future.

Old August 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Brian, thanks for responding to the issues and working on solutions.

Another area to look at is Celebrity e-mails. For a long time, I had requested e-mails through the website and even asked the captain's club if they could do anything. Still no e-mails. Out of the blue I started receiving regular e-mails with information and Tuesday specials. Then, without explanation, those stopped. Lately I've received sporadic e-mails....but they appear to be aimed at the UK market (I'm in the US) as the pricing is in British pounds.

Old August 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Really appreciate. Now I can hope again to visit a better, workable Celebrity website. I had lost my hope before
Thanks!

Reviews :
Norwegian Epic - Trans Atlantic, April 2014
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 2014
Celebrity Solstice - Australia/New Zealand, March 2013
Crystal Symphony - Grand Mediterranean, April 2012

Roll calls :
Mariner of the Seas - Spice of SE Asia, 6 February 2015
Crystal Symphony - Autumn Inspiration, 27 September 2015

Old August 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Cruise Critic Host & 10,000+ Club

Hello Brian,

Welcome to our Forum, and Thank You for the update. I'd like to echo the sentiments of our Community, and say that it's great to be able to connect a name to Celebrity's comments. I believe that most everyone accepts that significant website improvement will take time. As long as there's gradual progress, I'm certain the response will be extremely positive.

We look forward to a time when your website experience, will be as outstanding as your Cruise experience.

Last edited by Host Andy; August 15th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

Old August 15th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Adding my thanks, Brian, for identifying yourself and communicating status. I also want to add my voice to those asking that you optimize the site for iPads and other tablets. Increasingly, we are using those devices in all aspects of our lives and want Celebrity to support it.

Thanks again, and look forward to your continued engagement.

Old August 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Moving in Right, Smart Direction!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrity Cruises View Post
While we’ve been lauded for the images and design of our website, the transactional performance of the site does not reflect the experience that we deliver onboard our ships, but we’re working towards achieving that. Brian P. Powell
Appreciate Brian's follow-up, detail and substance as reflected in his full posting. I view the sentence highlighted above by him to be very, very important. They are recognizing that we, as real users of this technology, want much more than just "images and design". Simple is sometimes much better and quicker than fancy and flashy. Look at how well Google.com and other straight-forward lay-outs make things happen in a better manner. Don't let the artists take over the web work. Making it work for consumers is most important to me. Your message seems to get "IT" very well. As Host Andy noted, it won't happen overnight, but we'll be happy if they are moving in the right direction.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 97,780 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1426474

Old August 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you Brian,
I have often wondered if anyone was paying attention to the non user friendly aspects of Celebrity"s website. Please continue to send updates. It is very encouraging.

Old August 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Thanks for your post, Brian! I think we're all looking forward to the day when the website experience will be as outstanding as the cruise experience.

Click here to e-mail me.

Celebrity Century Eastern Caribbean February 2014
Celebrity Century Bahamas February 2014
Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean January 2014
Celebrity Infinity Norway Fjords May-June 2013
Celebrity Infinity British Isles May 2013
Celebrity Infinity Trans-Atlantic May 2013
Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean Nov/Dec 2012 (Woo Hoo III)
Celebrity Constellation Exotic Southern Caribbean Dec 2011 (Woo Hoo II)
Celebrity Eclipse Baltic May/June 2011
Celebrity Constellation Exotic Southern Caribbean Nov/Dec 2010 (Connie Sparklers, Woo Hoo I)
HAL Rotterdam West Coast Repo May 2010
Celebrity Millennium Ultimate Alaska April/May 2010 (MillieMeeters)
Celebrity Constellation Panama Canal January 2010
Celebrity Millennium Eastern Caribbean February 2008
Celebrity Mercury Alaska September 2006

Old August 15th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you so much for validating our concerns and reacting accordingly. Looking forward to the improvements and thrilled to be sailing again on Equinox Sept 2013 As you can see from my screen name, Celebrity is my favorite cruise line.

Old August 15th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you Brian for the update. I look forward to when the functionality of the website matches the images and design. I would also like to add my request for a better experience when using the Celebrity site on ipad. It is great that you have taken the time to communicate with us directly!

Bill and Yvette, Canberra, Australia - 114 nights at sea (35 RCI & 79 X)
Cruises to come!
25 July 2014 - Celebrity Millennium 7 night Alaska Southern Glaciers #1129
1 August 2014 - Celebrity Millennium 7 night Alaska Northern Glaciers #1129
21 December 2014 - Celebrity Solstice 14 night Christmas & NYE New Zealand Cruise #6303

Past Cruises:
20 December 2013 - RCI Radiance of the Seas 9 night South Pacific Christmas Cruise #1104
17 November 2012 - Celebrity Summit 7 night Southern Caribbean - itinerary A #9038
10 November 2012 - Celebrity Summit 7 night Southern Caribbean - itinerary B #9038
17 February 2012 - Celebrity Century 18 Night Top of Australia Circumnavigation #1098
24 December 2011 - Celebrity Century 13 night Sydney to Auckland Christmas & NYE #8083
4 February 2011 - Celebrity Xpedition 7 night Galapagos (10 night package) #306
18 December 2010 - RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 9 Night South Pacific Christmas #8063
21 December 2009 - RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 17 Night Australia & New Zealand Christmas and NYE #3587
3 October 2008 - Celebrity Infinity 16 Night Eastbound Panama Canal #8003
12 July 2007 - Celebrity Millennium Venice to Barcelona - cancelled by X 2 days before departure due to damaged propellor!
30 October 2006 - Celebrity Galaxy 11 night Eastern Mediterranean #5029

Old August 15th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you brian celebrity my favorite cruise line!