Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
- Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals
- Write a Norwegian Cruise Review
- Find Your Norwegian Roll Call
See posts about:
Norwegian Bliss
Norwegian Escape
Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Pearl
Norwegian Star

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Getaway
Pride of America
Norwegian Sun

Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Jade
Norwegian Sky

Old August 16th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sky- Muster Drill

Hi! I tried searching for my answer on these boards but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. I am leaving in 4 days for my cruise on the sky and was wondering where is the muster drill? We have cabin 0041 on deck 10 if that helps. I was wondering if it was outside by our muster "station" like on Carnival or inside somewhere like when I cruised on Princess. Also, do we have to bring our life vests with us? Thank you in advanced!

Helen

Carnival Liberty- August 2013- Miami-At Sea-Cozumel,MX-Belize-Roatan,Hondoras-Cayman Islands-At Sea-Miami

Norwegian Sky- August 2012- Miami- Grand Bahama Island (Freeport), Bahamas- Nassau, Bahamas- Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas- Miami

Caribbean Princess- January 2011- Puerto Rico-St. Thomas-Dominica-Grenada-Bonaire-Aruba-At Sea-Puerto Rico

Carnival Victory- July 2010- Puerto Rico-St. Thomas- Dominica-Barbados-St. Lucia-St. Kitts-St. Maarten-Puerto Rico

Old August 16th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know if things have changed since the Concordia, but on the Sun last October, life jackets were NOT required and it took place at the muster station.

It WILL happen before the ship sails - usually about 30 minutes to an hour before departure.

Old August 16th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
I don't know if things have changed since the Concordia, but on the Sun last October, life jackets were NOT required and it took place at the muster station.
I was on the PoA in January after Concordia and we didn't have to bring life jackets. Our station was in the theatre, not sure about anybody else. I just know they were spread around the ship.

Past Cruises:
NCL Pride of America - Hawaiian Islands - January 28, 2012
NCL Sky - Bahamas - January 21, 2013
Carnival Glory - Nowhere - May 24, 2013
NCL Pearl - Alaska - September 22, 2013

Old August 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I found this

Your room will be ready around 2 pm. An announcement will be made over the PA system. At around 4:30, all passengers must report for the muster drill. You do NOT have to bring your life vest to this life you had to in the past.

RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Dec 14, 2013. & Feb 7, 2015.
NCL Sky, 2013
Carnival Miracle, 2012
HAL Eurodam, 2009
Carnival Glory, 2008
Carnival Sensation, 2007

"And those who were seen dancing
were thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music"

They drove south one winter until they could stand outside with no coats on.......
and we never saw them again

Old August 16th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Bringing life jackets is not required. On your key card (which you will be given in the boarding process), it will say Assembly Station followed by a Capital Letter and a Number. On the back of your cabin door will be ship with your Assembly Station highlighted. Ask any staff member and they can direct you.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The muster stations vary depending on your room location. The station location will be posted on a diagram on your cabin door. Some stations are inside the ship and some outside. And as mentioned, bringing life jackets is no longer required.

Old August 16th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

in your room key it will show the Station that you should go when they anounced the drill.

life jackets are not needed.

Pride of America - Sep '05
N. EPIC - Sep '10; Feb '13
N. Gem - Nov '09
N. Jewel - Nov '05
N. Pearl - Dec '06
N. Sun - Apr '08
N. Sky - Aug '08; Nov '08; Mar '09; Sep '09; Apr '10; May '11; May '12; Sep '12
N. Getaway - Feb '14

Old August 16th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Your muster station locale depends on where your room is. Some folks gather on deck, some in the theater, some in restaurants, etc. Your station location will be posted in your room as well as on your key card.

And the best thing about the muster drill??? Life jackets are no longer required. That was such a huge improvement!!
NCL Star - September 3, 2011
NCL Star - September 4, 2010
NCL Pearl - September 13, 2009
NCL Star - June 18, 2006
NCL Spirit - September 10, 2005
NCL Star - June 6, 2004
NCL Sky - September 6, 2003

Old August 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

You don't have to take a life jacket. You will have your drill before the ship leaves port. Your room key card tells you which station to go to. Don't skip it or they will hunt you down!
5-9-2011 Norwegian Sky---first cruise, loved it!
Dawn review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1762041
Sky review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1611604

Old August 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am glad to hear the muster drill has been simplified. The muster drill on RCL in 2004 was miserable. We actually had to put on the life jackets and go stand outside in our lines and it took forever and is was miserably hot. Of course my patience for it was dramatically reduced by the fact I had just spent 3 hours standing in the Galveston terminal where it was also very warm and hadn't even had a chance to get a glass of water between getting to our cabin and having to go to muster drill.

If nothing else, it should be nice and cool in Vancouver for muster drill if we end up outside!!

NCL Southward -- 1992
Rhapsody of the Seas -- 2004
Sapphire Princess -- 2006
Norwegian Pearl -- 2012

Old August 16th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just got off the Sky on Monday and it seemed like everyone gathered outside of promenade deck 6. I'm assuming like others said some people were directed to other locations like the theater. We were packed like sardines on deck but the muster was quick and over with in 15 minutes or so. Your key card will have a letter, and in the halls there are signs that direct you to your muster station. You don't have to bring life jackets and they do take attendance. If you miss it, they have a make-up safety drill you have to attend the next day.

Ben Bendyman's Facebook
Ben Bendyman's Adventures Oct 2014 Jade Venice, Greek Isles • Sept 2014 Bermuda-ful Breakaway • Aug 2014 Splendor • July 2014 Splendor • Feb 2014 Jewel (Mardi Gras) • Jan 2014 Getaway (Maiden Voyage) • Dec 2013 Gem • Sept 2013 Breakaway • April 2013 Breakaway (Maiden Voyage) • Feb 2013 Gem • Dec 2012 Gem • Nov 2012 CCL Fascination • Oct 2012 PCL Caribbean • Sept 2012 Star • Aug 2012 Sky • Nov 2011 Gem • Sept 2011 Gem • Feb 2011 Jewel • Sept 2010 Epic • July 2009 Spirit • Oct 2007 Pearl

Last edited by kylenyc; August 16th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Old August 16th, 2012, 07:27 PM
10,000+ Club

It will be held at 4:30 p.m. with all ship's services stopping a half hour beforehand. No lifejackets. Your muster location will be determined by your cabin location. Check the back of your cabin door. Your key card will also have the station listed on it.

Old August 17th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Sky has deck space for the drill to be done right at the lifeboats so most likely, it will be outside. Where exactly it is will depend, as others have said, your stateroom location.

So far, in 4 cruises, only 2 of our musters have been done outside. Depends on the design of the ship.

HAL Zuiderdam ~ July 2012 (Review & photos)

CCL Imagination ~ January 2012 (Review & photos)
NCL Sky ~ March 2011 (Review & photos)
NCLA Pride of America ~ July 2009

Old August 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Perfect! Thank you so much for all of your answers!

Helen

Carnival Liberty- August 2013- Miami-At Sea-Cozumel,MX-Belize-Roatan,Hondoras-Cayman Islands-At Sea-Miami

Norwegian Sky- August 2012- Miami- Grand Bahama Island (Freeport), Bahamas- Nassau, Bahamas- Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas- Miami

Caribbean Princess- January 2011- Puerto Rico-St. Thomas-Dominica-Grenada-Bonaire-Aruba-At Sea-Puerto Rico

Carnival Victory- July 2010- Puerto Rico-St. Thomas- Dominica-Barbados-St. Lucia-St. Kitts-St. Maarten-Puerto Rico