Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
AZPam's Avatar
AZPam AZPam is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chandler,AZ
Posts: 6,685
Default 2012 Christmas Markets - All Cruise Lines

Been a few years since I did a Christmas Markets trip but we are going again this year. Still need to book it though.

It's always fun to chat with everyone that is going too so let's get this topic open and rolling for discussion.

What line, ship and dates are you going on? Have you done it before? I've been on two trips on the Rhine with GCT. Think we will do the Danube this time around and will bring the husband along for a change. Might not get to do the shopping I like to do when I am with my Mom though!

Last edited by AZPam; August 22nd, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
caviargal caviargal is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 12,464
Default

We board the AmaCerto on 11/22 after three days in Budapest. The markets will be open in Budapest and in several of our stops in Germany and Austria, as well as in Prague where we stay for a few days at the end of our trip.

This is our 9th visit to the markets and our 4th holiday river cruise. We are looking forward to new ports: Bratislava, Durnstein, Budapest. And we look forward to returning to old favorites.

It is a fabulous time to be in Europe - can't wait!
__________________
136 cruises since 1964, 7 on the river - AmaDagio Wine Cruise in Provence, November 20, 2014, AmaReina Holiday Cruise, December 28, 2014 , AmaSerena Christmas on the Rhine, November 25, 2015

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:20 PM
franski franski is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Been a few years since I did a Christmas Markets trip but we are going again this year. Still need to book it though.

It's always fun to chat with everyone that is going too so let's get this topic open and rolling for discussion.

What line, ship and dates are you going on? Have you done it before? I've been on two trips on the Rhine with GCT. Think we will do the Danube this time around and will bring the husband along for a change. Might not get to do the shopping I like to do when I am with my Mom though!
Hi Pam -

There is a generic "Christmas Market" roll call for this year... It is down a bit on the Roll Call page, as no postings for a day or so.

Fran

P.S. Did the Rhine 2 years ago... starting to think it is time to go back again
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:04 PM
AZPam's Avatar
AZPam AZPam is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chandler,AZ
Posts: 6,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franski View Post
Hi Pam -

There is a generic "Christmas Market" roll call for this year... It is down a bit on the Roll Call page, as no postings for a day or so.

Fran

P.S. Did the Rhine 2 years ago... starting to think it is time to go back again
Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even realize there was a roll call board for the river cruises now. Shows that it's been too long since I've been on one!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:27 PM
franski franski is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even realize there was a roll call board for the river cruises now. Shows that it's been too long since I've been on one!
Obviously time to do another one!!

Not always easy to find others on the Roll Calls - given the small number of cabins on each boat. Started a generic roll call for all Russian River cruises that has been really active, and quite helpful for those of us planning to sail in Russia. And, a generic one for 2013 is on the go.

So - a generic Christmas Market 2012 is helpful - especially given the number of companies and itineraries that are available.

Fran
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:18 PM
inborn traveler inborn traveler is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 22
Default

Pam, Did you do GCT Christmas cruise? WOndering if excursions to Heidelberg, Redesheim and Liberation are worth the time and money. I am hoping to get to Colmar on our own the day we dock in Breisach. Do you know anything about that? I read one post written about a month ago that people said they took a bus there.
Thanks alot.
Lynda
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:20 PM
AZPam's Avatar
AZPam AZPam is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chandler,AZ
Posts: 6,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inborn traveler View Post
Pam, Did you do GCT Christmas cruise? WOndering if excursions to Heidelberg, Redesheim and Liberation are worth the time and money. I am hoping to get to Colmar on our own the day we dock in Breisach. Do you know anything about that? I read one post written about a month ago that people said they took a bus there.
Thanks alot.
Lynda
Sorry, I'm not much help. I have done the GCT twice but never did Rudesheim or Liberation. Did do Heidelberg and really enjoyed it. I would also recommend the Bern pre trip if you start out in Basel first.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:40 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,979
Default

Hi, was just on Amacerto (for a tour, alas) during a UK travel agent event in Amsterdam and gosh, it's a pretty ship! Wanted to stay....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
We board the AmaCerto on 11/22 after three days in Budapest. The markets will be open in Budapest and in several of our stops in Germany and Austria, as well as in Prague where we stay for a few days at the end of our trip.

This is our 9th visit to the markets and our 4th holiday river cruise. We are looking forward to new ports: Bratislava, Durnstein, Budapest. And we look forward to returning to old favorites.

It is a fabulous time to be in Europe - can't wait!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:42 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,979
Default

Hi, was in Rudesheim last year, it was small but quite sweet. Our favorite part of its market was the international corral -- quite different from other cities, that just focus locally. It's also a delightful town, and there are a number of shops we found that sold unique gifts.

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by inborn traveler View Post
Pam, Did you do GCT Christmas cruise? WOndering if excursions to Heidelberg, Redesheim and Liberation are worth the time and money. I am hoping to get to Colmar on our own the day we dock in Breisach. Do you know anything about that? I read one post written about a month ago that people said they took a bus there.
Thanks alot.
Lynda
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:45 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,979
Default

On a Christmas Markets cruise (short one) this year! This one's on the Danube, and goes from Nuremberg to Regensburg and back. Haven't done the Danube so any advice would be great. In return happy to advise on the Rhine!

The ship is A-ROSA.

I'm also taking a few days before to go to markets in Zurich and Lucerne, just...for fun.

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Been a few years since I did a Christmas Markets trip but we are going again this year. Still need to book it though.

It's always fun to chat with everyone that is going too so let's get this topic open and rolling for discussion.

What line, ship and dates are you going on? Have you done it before? I've been on two trips on the Rhine with GCT. Think we will do the Danube this time around and will bring the husband along for a change. Might not get to do the shopping I like to do when I am with my Mom though!
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:05 AM
iron city iron city is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic View Post
On a Christmas Markets cruise (short one) this year! This one's on the Danube, and goes from Nuremberg to Regensburg and back. Haven't done the Danube so any advice would be great. In return happy to advise on the Rhine!

The ship is A-ROSA.

I'm also taking a few days before to go to markets in Zurich and Lucerne, just...for fun.

Carolyn

We have done 2 Viking Christmas market cruises on the Danube, and in between the cruises we did the markets on our own for 2 years, once based in Nurenberg and once in Regensburg. You are in for an amazing treat.

The market in Nurenberg is huge and fantastic, make sure to visit the kids market (at night if possible) which is about 2 blocks away from the main market. The sauseges in Nurenberg are incredible and come 3 to a bun in the market. several stalls also sell "bags of beer", a 4 pack of local Christmas beer, a Christmas CD, along with a die cast metal truck from the brewery. makes for good stocking stuffers and the beer is also good.

Regensburg- The Thurn and Taxis castle and market at night is a must do. There is a small entry charge for this market but it is well worth it. There are warming fires, incredible food booths and local craftsmen working on their wares. The castle also has its own brewery/restaurant (it used to be the stables for the castle) that is only a couple of blocks from the castle.

This year we are on Viking on a Rhine cruise and I have no idea what to expect, other then more incredible markets. Any advice on must see markets or attractions would be greatly appreciated.

I know you will have a great time on the Danube.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:50 PM
RvrCrzr's Avatar
RvrCrzr RvrCrzr is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,032
Default A'Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic View Post
On a Christmas Markets cruise (short one) this year! This one's on the Danube, and goes from Nuremberg to Regensburg and back. Haven't done the Danube so any advice would be great. In return happy to advise on the Rhine!

The ship is A-ROSA.

I'm also taking a few days before to go to markets in Zurich and Lucerne, just...for fun.

Carolyn
A'Rosa is just getting into the North American market. I'm guessing you are going as part of a 'press' trip? They've been doing river cruises for a long time catering to German's. I'm glad to see someone is giving them a spin, as I'm interested to hear how they compare...since you've river cruised before.
__________________
Pete
River Cruise Guru




Next up: Emerald Waterways, Emerald Star on the Danube
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
inborn traveler inborn traveler is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 22
Default Rhine Christmas Markets 2012

Please help me out..... Has anyone who has done a Rhine cruise had trouble using their Credit cards that don't have chip and pin? My two cards donot have it, and several banks have said they Are not yet available In the US. I want to use credit cards for restaurants, hotels and large shops, using cash at the markets.

Thanks. Lynda
Grand Circle Harmony Dec. 2 from Basel to Amsterdam.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:08 PM
bobalink's Avatar
bobalink bobalink is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,863
Default Bank of America has one now

Quote:
Originally Posted by inborn traveler View Post
Please help me out..... Has anyone who has done a Rhine cruise had trouble using their Credit cards that don't have chip and pin? My two cards donot have it, and several banks have said they Are not yet available In the US. I want to use credit cards for restaurants, hotels and large shops, using cash at the markets.

Thanks. Lynda
Grand Circle Harmony Dec. 2 from Basel to Amsterdam.
There is a thread all about Credit Cards on the River Cruise Ports section:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732168

B of A has a new Travel Rewards Visa. I just looked at their website, and it looks like a good deal.

I copied this info related to the "Chip Technology" on their website:

Now with Chip Technology - Expanded global acceptance when shopping outside of the U.S.

  • Shop with confidence in over 130 countries around the world including Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom, where chip cards are standard.
  • Chip cards are the most widely accepted way to make purchases when you travel internationally.
  • The embedded chip also adds an extra layer of security because it's extremely difficult to counterfeit.
BankAmericard Travel Rewards™ credit card

The flexibility to use points to pay for more than just flights, with no restrictions
  • No annual fee
  • Earn 1.5 points for every dollar spent on purchases — 50% more than traditional rewards programs that only offer 1 point per $1
  • No limit to the total number of points you can earn and points don't expire
  • No Foreign Transaction Fees
  • Receive 10,000 bonus points after qualified purchase(s)
Hope that is helpful.
__________________
Sailed:
Ocean Cruises:
California Coastal - Golden Princess, Oct 2014 California Coastal - Golden Princess, Nov 2013 Alaska RT Seattle - Golden Princess, August 2012Pacific Coastal San Diego to Vancouver - Zuiderdam, May 2012 Greek Isles - Star Princess, July 2011 Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess, September 2010 Western Mediterranean - Holland America Noordam, August 2010 Baltic - Emerald Princess, August 2009 Alaska Cruisetour Southbound - Coral Princess, August 2008 Mexican Riviera - Diamond Princess, November 2006 Mexico Cabo San Lucas - Carnival Elation, 2008 Mexico Baja - Royal Caribbean Monarch, 2007

River Cruises:
Danube Budapest to Prague - AmaLyra, August 2013
Seine Paris to Normandy - AmaLegro, July 24, 2014


“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:25 AM
NJTroy NJTroy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 7
Default

We just picked up the Chase Hyatt card for the same reason. $75 annual fee, no FTF, chip & pin capability. You get two free nights for getting the card, then two more if you spend $1000 in the first 90 days. We'll be using it for the first time outside the US starting on Tuesday, but we already have had no trouble earning all four nights which for s means it's paid for itself.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old November 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM
azmimi azmimi is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Surprie,AZ
Posts: 218
Default Christmas Markets

How cold is it at that time of year??? I live in AZ and aren't used to very cold weather.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old November 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM
AZPam's Avatar
AZPam AZPam is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chandler,AZ
Posts: 6,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmimi View Post
How cold is it at that time of year??? I live in AZ and aren't used to very cold weather.
I've been tracking the weather in Munich and Vienna. Munich has been in the upper 40's with mid 30's at night. Supposed to be 43 for a high on Wednesday when we arrive but 37 with snow on Thursday! Vienna seems to be running about 5 degrees or so warmer

A BIG change for us desert rats
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old November 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
fred111's Avatar
fred111 fred111 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,109
Default

We are in Munich right now and the weather is warm. Rough guess - low 50's mid day today. 40's this evening. Not cold at all.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old November 24th, 2012, 04:22 PM
AZPam's Avatar
AZPam AZPam is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chandler,AZ
Posts: 6,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred111 View Post
We are in Munich right now and the weather is warm. Rough guess - low 50's mid day today. 40's this evening. Not cold at all.
Fred, Munich forcast for the next few days:

Sunday 54/37 light clouds
Monday 48/29 light clouds
Tuesday 45/39 cloudy
Wednesday 43/36 sun & rain, figure that one out?
Thursday 37/34/ rain & SNOW!
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old November 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
SFO-F/A's Avatar
SFO-F/A SFO-F/A is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,037
Default

We are in Basel. Temps are warmer than expected. Sunny and warm, Probably 55-60F or more. Cools off at night, however if you go inside a bar or restaurant, the heats on to blasting. Have to peel off your clothes. Hope it cools some, as I've brought clothes for cold weather!
They have 2 Christmas markets in Basel. We hit them both today. Absolutely beautiful.
Very crowded, it's Saturday and a marathon was run this evening.
__________________


Last edited by SFO-F/A; November 24th, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.