Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

The cruise of 26th August was delayed due to storm Issac. But the subsequent management at Miami port was nothing short of mismanagement and poor communication. If not set right shortly there will be chaos and retribution from the passengers gathered here since 2pm and it is 9pm. People have been prOmised food (lunch earlier and dinner) with nothing turning up and staff throwing up their hands. Ship is not ready and no food served here for about 9 hrs. Families on warpath. Total mismanagement leaving passengers without food in addition to 34 hour delay. If u have any plans of cruising on CARNIVAL you need to fend for your own if this is how their management team works

YIKES!

What time were you advised by Carnival to be there? What time did you get there?

The east coast of Florida has been battered all day...the port was re-opened for a brief period and then closed again....I had not even seen where it had been re-opened yet again.

So sorry for what you are dealing with.....but do you think THEY were prepared for this?

Not a great start to what should be a fabulous vacation......DON'T let it ruin the trip though!!!!!

The cruise of 26th August was delayed due to storm Issac. But the subsequent management at Miami port was nothing short of mismanagement and poor communication. If not set right shortly there will be chaos and retribution from the passengers gathered here since 2pm and it is 9pm. People have been prOmised food (lunch earlier and dinner) with nothing turning up and staff throwing up their hands. Ship is not ready and no food served here for about 9 hrs. Families on warpath. Total mismanagement leaving passengers without food in addition to 34 hour delay. If u have any plans of cruising on CARNIVAL you need to fend for your own if this is how their management team works

Yikes. Here's to everyone getting drunk tonight. Too bad. Weather is something no one can control

I understand it's frustrating but I think you're misinformed. Port was supposed to reopen at 2pm, they couldn't reopen until 4pm - not Carnival's fault, there's your 2-hour delay. Valor and a couple of other ships are supposed to sail between 10pm and midnight. I'm also not sure if you are aware that Carnival will be posting $25 per passenger to onboard accounts, so people are supposed to BUY dinner before boarding.

Sorry......just saw this on Carnival's website. If this says DON'T arrive before 8pm, how & WHY were there people there for 8 hours? If you completely disregard specific directions, how can carnival be held acccountable? Are you at the Port or at the Doubletree as directed? Have they not given you the dinner promised you there (at the Doubletree)?

Tropical Storm Isaac - Itinerary Updates

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC UPDATE – 8/27/2012 – 4:50 (EDT)

CARNIVAL VALOR and CARNIVAL IMAGINATION – 8/27/12 DEPARTURE

Good news! The Port of Miami has reopened. Check-in is set from 8:00pm to 11:00pm. Due to limited seating, please do not proceed to the cruise terminal any earlier than 8:00 PM. We’ve secured the Doubletree Convention Center in the event you need a place to wait. 711 N.W. 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL, 33126, Phn# 305-261-3800. Also, enjoy dinner on us tonight. We will post a $25 per person credit to your Sail & Sign account.

We’re sorry for the delay and are looking forward to welcoming you on board!

Unfortunately, with the Ports closed.. Carnivals hands were tied as well. Right now they are trying to shuffle 5000 on/off two of their ships in addition to two other cruise lines..only so many Port workers on hand I am sure.

This totally sucks for you, and I'm sorry... but if you've ever been flight delayed due to bad weather..you know how it can be...

Chaos I am sure is being made worse by irate passengers both coming off the ship and trying to get on..if folks would just take a deep breath and let them do their jobs.. it might go more smoothly..I'm sure they're no happier than you are because they've been waiting on weather all day, too.

Sorry to hear you have a bad start to your vacation because of weather.

I thought I read where people should get to the port at 8 p.m. and they had the convention center for anyone needing a place to wait. Someone at the port should have let you all know this.

Yikes. Here's to everyone getting drunk tonight. Too bad. Weather is something no one can control

when I complained how Carnival handled my Ike Cruise. That they handled it poorly, lack of communication and other problems.. I got so sick and tired of people WHO DIDNT GET WHAT I SAID. I complained about how Carnival handled the emergency.. I never complained about the weather.

Sometimes posting problems on CC .. the cheerleaders just cant seem to understand basic communication and keep saying.. you cant control the weather. I was ready to scream after I tried to explain why Carnival mishandled the emergency.

Sorry......just saw this on Carnival's website. If this says DON'T arrive before 8pm, how & WHY were there people there for 8 hours? If you completely disregard specific directions, how can carnival be held acccountable? Are you at the Port or at the Doubletree as directed? Have they not given you the dinner promised you there (at the Doubletree)?

Good news! The Port of Miami has reopened. Check-in is set from 8:00pm to 11:00pm. Due to limited seating, please do not proceed to the cruise terminal any earlier than 8:00 PM. We’ve secured the Doubletree Convention Center in the event you need a place to wait. 711 N.W. 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL, 33126, Phn# 305-261-3800. Also, enjoy dinner on us tonight. We will post a $25 per person credit to your Sail & Sign account.

I dont know about the OP but once I check out of my hotel .. I dont have online access .. so if Carnival posted this after I left my hotel. .. I wouldnt know. Not everyone has a cell phone that can get online.

OP prepare to be flamed .. this board is known for it if you complain. Just walk away. Ignore what most will post how its not Carnival's fault. They handled it beautifully .. its your fault.

The delay etc is understandable. At 4:30 they announced that they were going to take passengers to Double Tree for some food. Nothing happened. At 7 pm they announced food has been ordered and dinner will be served shortly. It's 9:30 pm and there is no food and the ship which has been here for the last 5 hrs is not ready to accept passengers. Food is on board and we have several hundred passengers starving but cannot access food. I guess it will be a riot here shortly out of shear hunger.

That has changed since this morning. When traveling Im not on a computer and dont own a smart phone.

So I understand OP's frustration

when I complained how Carnival handled my Ike Cruise. That they handled it poorly, lack of communication and other problems.. I got so sick and tired of people WHO DIDNT GET WHAT I SAID. I complained about how Carnival handled the emergency.. I never complained about the weather.

Sometimes posting problems on CC .. the cheerleaders just cant seem to understand basic communication and keep saying.. you cant control the weather. I was ready to scream after I tried to explain why Carnival mishandled the emergency.

totally understand what you are saying Fly..but there have been notices on the Carnival site for DAYS about possible delays due to Issac..even the option to have text messages sent to your phone with updates.. There is no reason for anyone to have been sitting at the port since 2pm, because it was closed..(mind you, I've sat in a closed airport due to weather because I never got the message the airport was closed because I was enroute!) There has to be some accountablility to the customer...do you want someone fielding phone calls about when to go to the port, or do you want them trying to organize some place to put these delayed passengers until the ship can sail or their flight can leave?

I dont know about the OP but once I check out of my hotel .. I dont have online access .. so if Carnival posted this after I left my hotel. .. I wouldnt know. Not everyone has a cell phone that can get online.

OP prepare to be flamed .. this board is known for it if you complain. Just walk away. Ignore what most will post how its not Carnival's fault. They handled it beautifully .. its your fault.

The op posted on here from the port so I would say online access was available for this person. Time could have been better spent getting information instead of complaining.

The delay etc is understandable. At 4:30 they announced that they were going to take passengers to Double Tree for some food. Nothing happened. At 7 pm they announced food has been ordered and dinner will be served shortly. It's 9:30 pm and there is no food and the ship which has been here for the last 5 hrs is not ready to accept passengers. Food is on board and we have several hundred passengers starving but cannot access food. I guess it will be a riot here shortly out of shear hunger.

I hate to tell you this, but when there is a emegency, Carnival is known to have a lot of problems dealing with them. There have been plenty of times in Galveston, fog .. food promised.. no where near enough food, most people didnt get anything. Hours waiting etc. Its not the first or last time.

Just try and get by until you get onboard.

Most of the people who post how its your fault not Carnival's probably have never been at the port when there was a emegency. Its easy to sit at their computer throwing stones at you for booking during hurricane season.. but it happens. Just try and keep up your chin and not let it affect your cruise.

In my very humble opinion, all of the cruise lines including Carnival, handled what was dealt to them a very bad hand, as well as could be done with Tropical Storm/Hurricane Issac.

When one travels, one ought to expect that not everything will go as well as one has planned--and has paid for. That is the reason for travel insurance to help cover those unexpected costs when plans go awry. If one chooses not to be patient with the vagaries of travel, then one needs to stay home and not subject oneself to whatever the travel gods have in store.

Carnival needs to be complimented with what they did for the Carnival Legend passengers as well as for the guests on Carnival Valor and Carnival Imagination!

Please consider the stress that the crews of all three of these vessels have experienced in the past 2-3 days!

Be reasonable!

And you all are going to starve? Tsk, Tsk! I think not!

Get REAL! And deal with an emergency!

That has changed since this morning. When traveling Im not on a computer and dont own a smart phone.

So I understand OP's frustration

OK....1st time using the "multi-quote" thing:

This is why I am asking questions, I am not judging anyone or making cruel statements, because the OP's 1st post makes no sense to me as I read all the other information available to me now. The OP said nothing except been at the port for 9 hours and starving to death....when I read, you should have bought yoru own dinner and not been there until 8pm.

Jacobs comment makes MUCH more sense...much more info being given...things promised should be honored, especially food related. If the original time the port was opened & people were directed to proceed to the port is different than now, TELL US THAT instead of me reading you're stupid for sitting there 9+ hours when the Carnival website clearley states DON'T get here before 8pm. This is a Tropical Storm....it is Hurricane season....you MUST BE FLEXIBLE as this is mother nature.

Firefly, I usually enjoy reading your posts...right now I don't like you....don't pre-judge me...I am also asking question to get more info so the OP does NOT get flamed.

i have never had a bad Carnival Cruise (well, the Miracle in 2010 wasn't perfect and I effing HATE Malcom) but that does not make me a cheerleader. There is a distinction between how they handled what they promised vs. how people think they are handling circumstances beyond their control. The OP's post gave me none of that info....

Just throwing this out there to chew on---

During any emergency situation, be it fire, earthquake, tornado or hurricane it is up to the people to be proactive first about themselves. We know we should have provisions to last us 72 hours in the event of an earthquake.

We learnt the hard way always to travel with some food. Once we got stuck in the Dome for many hours while security, Coast Guard, K-9s etc had to search the Paradise for a missing couple. Only one was found a few weeks later in the water. :(

As far as info goes many of the port people have no idea what's going on. If they had said, "I truly don't know what's happening," it would have been better than the blank stares.

I'm curious as to how you've managed to post this while at the terminal with no smartphone or computer access as you've stated. I'm not a cheerleader but am a realist. If you give them no way to communicate with you, what are they supposed to do--send a personal messenger?

Archived