Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Closed Thread

Old August 28th, 2012, 11:50 AM
10,000+ Club

I know there is a lot of assumption going around right now, but this story has a lot more to it that will come out in the coming days. This does not appear to be pre-planned. There was an alarming chain of events that ocurred aboard. I can't share much right now becuase it is under investigation, but I will be happy to share details a little later.

Old August 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckysll View Post
What an incredibly ignorant statement to make! I'm sure you thought you were being clever, but to make a joke of someone's suicide just makes you look ridiculous.

My thoughts go out to the man's family, who are no doubt devestated.
I agree!!

Old August 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahound View Post
I know there is a lot of assumption going around right now, but this story has a lot more to it that will come out in the coming days. This does not appear to be pre-planned. There was an alarming chain of events that ocurred aboard. I can't share much right now becuase it is under investigation, but I will be happy to share details a little later.
Please let us know as soon as you are able. Thanks.

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrisong1 View Post
I'll put my two cents worth in because I work with this and I have personal experience in it too.
No compassion for someone that is in such mental anguish they can think of nothing else they can do to get relief from the pain except to destroy themselves? Just wow!!
Most suicides have nothing to do with anyone except for the person doing it, it's not to get back at someone or hurt another, it's because they can't take the pain.
My nephew had PTSD from the military, killing someone was something that ran through his brain all the time, he couldnt' sleep or function, so he drank, which created more depression and more dependence on substances, so add addiction to PTSD and severe depression.
He was inpatient after a serious attempt to hang himself, he was detoxed, and had therapy, medications. But then out in the real world things fell apart for him and he hung himself, quietly in the middle of the night at a lake. He didn't want to hurt anyone else, but just couldnt' take the pain anymore.
I work with people that are suicidal almost every time I go to work and they are not selfish or bad, they are people in mental anguish.
For those that we can help to get better it's a huge accomplishment.
For those that cannot find pity and a prayer in your heart for someone that commits suicide, I'm sorry for you.
God does tend to show us not to let our pride make us too big for loving one another. Or Karma is another way of putting it if you don't believe in God.
Prayers to the man I hope he doesn't hurt anymore
Carole
\
Im sorry for your loss. I say this with the utmost respect..... You are a better person than me. Ive never understood Psych.
Give me a GSW or tibfib fx or a ruptured AAA or even a mass casualty situation, I know exactly what to do. When it comes to mental issues I have no clue.
NCL Gold
Princess Platinum
RCCL Diamond
USN Shellback

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:02 PM
20,000+ Club

We had a 'jumper' on our last CCL cruise. He jumped from the Serenity deck, as we were at the exact midway point between CA and Hawaii.

Passengers were wonderful...concerned, empathetic and I was happy to be a member of the human race in those moments.
The jokes and comments DID fly around, however they all started AFTER the guy was pulled back aboard alive. Most of that was just a release for people. You can imagine how horrific it is to be in the middle of the ocean and know that someone is out there.

Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbgd View Post
Im sorry for your loss. I say this with the utmost respect..... You are a better person than me. Ive never understood Psych.
Give me a GSW or tibfib fx or a ruptured AAA or even a mass casualty situation, I know exactly what to do. When it comes to mental issues I have no clue.
Er Doc or surgeon no doubt. Lots of skills, not much in the bedside manner dpt. Be nice to your nurses,they help your patients more that you know
Your remark was just typical medical "black humor", so no need to beat yourself up over it.

We don't know why it happened. All we can do is express sympathy for for the young man & his family.

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
5,000+ Club

I get the feeling it does appear there is more to this story...who knows fight broke out he got pushed over...maybe he was so hurt about something it may not be suicide....guess we wait to find out so sad.....

Allure of the Seas, 5-11/2014
Carnival Fascination, April, 2014
NCL Breakaway, June 2013
Carnival Fascination, May 2013
Freedom of the Seas, October 2012
Carnival Dream, May 2012
Monarch of the Seas, Dece,her 2012
Freedom of the Seas, July 2011
Liberty of the Seas, May 2011
45 other cruises prior to May 2011

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Callous, unfeeling person here (I suppose).

I cannot comprehend why this is of any interest whatsoever to anyone not directly involved with the person or his immediate family.

It's just morbid curiosity and it turns my stomach.

Why does anyone here need to know what happened? It's no one's business!

I'm sure everyone also slows down to get a good look at wrecks on their way home, too.

Carnival: 11/1/14 Splendor; 5/4/14 Pride; 11/16/13 Conquest; 9/1/13 Fantasy; 5/3/13 Fantasy; 10/22/12 & 10/27/12 B2B Fantasy; 11/26/11 Fascination; 10/16/11 Glory; 5/23/10 Fantasy; 12/14/09 Miracle (Platinum!); 10/24/09 Triumph (CTN); 5/17/09 Victory; 12/13/08 Fascination; 5/17/08 Glory; 12/17/07 Miracle; 12/18/06 Elation; 05/13/06 Fantasy; 06/20/04 Fantasy; 04/16/01 Jubilee
HAL: 11/21/10 Zaandam
Royal Caribbean: 04/19/03 Nordic Empress

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:58 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbgd View Post
Go back to class. You'll do ALL the victims a service. BTW, it's not a GSW, it's a person WITH a GSW.

Suicide is not always well planned but can be a very impulsive act, one if not successful, the person is glad didn't work when they get the help they need.

Too many of us on this board have been personally affected by this horrible act that bores a hole in your heart that no amount of anything can close.
1982 Mardi Gras
1985 Jubilee
1998 Holiday
2002 Pride
2003 Grand Princess
2004 Mariner of the Seas
2006 Miracle Aug. 20
2008 Inspiration
Dec. '08 Glory
Aug. 2009 Inspiration
Feb. '10 Inspiration
2010 Legend
Sept. '10 Inspiration
2010 Inspiration
Sept. '11 Legend
November '11 Inspiration
Sept. '12 Legend
November '12 Legend
March '13 Legend
June '13 Miracle Alaska!
October '13 Legend Halloween Cruise
January '14 Paradise
April '14 Legend

UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL DR RUTH FOR WHALE TAIL and UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL GUARANTEED PRICE DROPS DROPPER

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

It does seem to happen more commonly than one would think. It's still sad regardless of the circumstances. Sympathy to his family
Feb. 2010 Carnival Pride
Nov. 2010 Norwegian Gem
Jan. 2012 Carnival Pride
Oct. 2012 RCCL Explorer
Feb. 2013 RCCL Enchantment

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrisong1 View Post
I'll put my two cents worth in because I work with this and I have personal experience in it too.
No compassion for someone that is in such mental anguish they can think of nothing else they can do to get relief from the pain except to destroy themselves? Just wow!!
Most suicides have nothing to do with anyone except for the person doing it, it's not to get back at someone or hurt another, it's because they can't take the pain.
My nephew had PTSD from the military, killing someone was something that ran through his brain all the time, he couldnt' sleep or function, so he drank, which created more depression and more dependence on substances, so add addiction to PTSD and severe depression.
He was inpatient after a serious attempt to hang himself, he was detoxed, and had therapy, medications. But then out in the real world things fell apart for him and he hung himself, quietly in the middle of the night at a lake. He didn't want to hurt anyone else, but just couldnt' take the pain anymore.
I work with people that are suicidal almost every time I go to work and they are not selfish or bad, they are people in mental anguish.
For those that we can help to get better it's a huge accomplishment.
For those that cannot find pity and a prayer in your heart for someone that commits suicide, I'm sorry for you.
God does tend to show us not to let our pride make us too big for loving one another. Or Karma is another way of putting it if you don't believe in God.
Prayers to the man I hope he doesn't hurt anymore
Carole
\
Very well stated, compassionate post.
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 01/1998
RCCL Song of America 01/1999
Carnival Destiny 01/2000
Carnival Victory 01/2001
Carnival Imagination 05/2001
Carnival Triumph 01/2002
Carnival Triumph 02/2003
Carnival Paradise 04/2003
Carnival Spirit 01/2004
Carnival Triumph 01/2005
Carnival Triumph 04/2005
Carnival Legend 02/2006
Carnival Glory 04/2006
Carnival Triumph 01/2007
Carnival Paradise 10/2007
Carnival Miracle 01/2008
Carnival Elation 03/2008
Carnival Valor 06/2008
Carnival Triumph 01/2009
Carnival Valor 05/2009
Carnival Glory 01/2010
Carnival Liberty 05/2010
Carnival Legend 01/2011
Carnival Liberty 05/2011
Carnival Legend 01/2012
Carnival Legend 04/2012
Carnival Valor 01/2013
Carnival Pride 05/2013

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:03 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTribeFan View Post
Callous, unfeeling person here (I suppose).

I cannot comprehend why this is of any interest whatsoever to anyone not directly involved with the person or his immediate family.

It's just morbid curiosity and it turns my stomach.

Why does anyone here need to know what happened? It's no one's business!

I'm sure everyone also slows down to get a good look at wrecks on their way home, too.
I would rather people know the truth, rather than jump to assumptions. You don't agree?

By the way, you're not calling me callous and unfeeling, are you?

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndamr View Post
I get the feeling it does appear there is more to this story...who knows fight broke out he got pushed over...maybe he was so hurt about something it may not be suicide....guess we wait to find out so sad.....
You are actually on the right track.

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
You are actually on the right track.
I figured issue with the SO onboard...
October 23, 2014 ~ RCI Vision of the Seas ~ JS 8592 ~ 4 Night ~ Ft. Lauderdale, Cozumel, Ft. Lauderdale
October 28, 2013 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ SOV 9032 ~ 4 Night ~ Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West, Miami

August 13, 2012 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ SOV 9032 ~ 4 Night ~ Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West, Miami

June 26, 2011 ~ Majestic Elegance Punta Cana ~ 5 Night All inclusive
June 20, 2011 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ JS 1580 ~ 4 Night ~ Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West, Miami (Wedding Cruise)
June 24, 2010 ~ By the Beautiful Sea ~ 7 Night ~ Key West
June 8, 2009 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ SOV 9532 ~ 4 Night ~ Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West, Miami
October 13, 2008 ~ RCI Enchantment of the Seas ~ OV 4556 ~ 5 Night ~ Ft. Lauderdale, Key West, Cozumel, Belize, Ft. Lauderdale
October 19, 2007 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ OV 4554 ~ 3 Night ~ Miami, Coco Cay, Bahamas, Miami

Last edited by aurelius180; August 28th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Arrow Not funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by How'sBartCruisin'? View Post
And not to get too morbid, but unless you die on impact, you wouldn't die instantaneously. That's a good long time to think about what you did and what's about to happen, before it happens.

Sad story for this person and his family.
Just my luck, I'd be treading water for hours waiting for a shark to have me for lunch.

And I'm not joking.

Norwegian Sea - Nov '00 ~ Oceanview
Rhapsody of the Seas - Dec '04 ~ Balcony
Carnival Triumph - Jan '12 ~ Balcony
Mariner of the Seas - Dec '12 ~ Balcony
Navigator of the Seas - Dec '13 ~ Balcony
Navigator of the Seas - May '14 ~ First Owner's Suite

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have a question... without getting into the humor/non-humor debate..

The article said the fall was approx. 87 feet..
Would the impact have killed him? or could he be rescued alive?

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

As a licensed counselor I will tell you that when people decide to commit suicide they are not going through any mental anguish at the time. Individuals who suffer from a mental illness decide to committ suicide once they come out of their depression. They do this because they do not want to ever be in previous situation where they were depressed, feeling hopeless or experiencing some other symptoms of mental illness. When a person is showing signs and symptoms of mental illness they are not most times not able to make choices or put a plan together, they are mostly fixated on the moment. Once they get out of that state is when they have the energy and mental capacity to make decisions on taking their own life. Now that is not to say that a small percentage of individuals don't committ suicide during an episode of symptoms, but it is rare.

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungirl76 View Post
As a licensed counselor I will tell you that when people decide to commit suicide they are not going through any mental anguish at the time. Individuals who suffer from a mental illness decide to committ suicide once they come out of their depression. They do this because they do not want to ever be in previous situation where they were depressed, feeling hopeless or experiencing some other symptoms of mental illness. When a person is showing signs and symptoms of mental illness they are not most times not able to make choices or put a plan together, they are mostly fixated on the moment. Once they get out of that state is when they have the energy and mental capacity to make decisions on taking their own life. Now that is not to say that a small percentage of individuals don't committ suicide during an episode of symptoms, but it is rare.
That makes a lot of sense in light of the only person I've really known who killed herself. She suffered from mental disorders and was going through an extremely bad depression where everyone was concerned about her. Then she had a terrific week, was laughing, having a great time with family, and seemed very normal and then took her own life. It was so totally shocking because everyone thought she was better and would pull through =(

Cruises:
  1. 2002-July Carnival *Fantasy* 4-Day Bahamas ~Honeymoon woohoo!
  2. 2011-October Carnival *Inspiration* 5-Day Western Caribbean ~Halloween
  3. 2012-October Carnival *Paradise* 5-Day Western Caribbean ~Halloween
  4. 2013-May Carnival *Miracle* 7-Day Alaskan ~Dream come true
  5. 2013-October Carnival *Legend* 8-Day Exotic W. Caribbean ~Halloween
  6. 2014-September Carnival *Freedom* 8-Day Eastern Caribbean ~First time sailing w/parents

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinpsychRN View Post
Go back to class. You'll do ALL the victims a service. BTW, it's not a GSW, it's a person WITH a GSW.

Suicide is not always well planned but can be a very impulsive act, one if not successful, the person is glad didn't work when they get the help they need.

Too many of us on this board have been personally affected by this horrible act that bores a hole in your heart that no amount of anything can close.
At least Im man enough to admit I have limitations and I dont know everything.
Ive been affected by it as well and everyone has their own way of coping with death and dying.

BTW once any of those injuries happen..... I hope they become a patient not just a person.
NCL Gold
Princess Platinum
RCCL Diamond
USN Shellback

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

When we were on the Disney Wonder in 2009, a passenger jumped off of a CCL ship-cannot remember which one, but our ship pulled him to safety. He was drunk and had been in a fight with his GF, told her he would jump she said go ahead and he did.

Pray they find this passenger just as we did and he is ok. The guy who we rescued was worn out when they rescued him and he was only in the ocean for an hour or so.
Carnival Freedom-08/13-Key West, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman-dad (husband) bucket list cruise
Carnival Liberty-08/14-Grand Turk, St Thomas, San Juan Puerto Rico, St Maarten
Carnival Pride-04/15-Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Freeport

Closed Thread