Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Canada

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 28th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Question about train from Montreal -Quebec City

Does anyone have info on train from Montreal (Central Station) to Old Quebec City(Palace) it looks like. I am looking at tickets the end of Sept one way. I see the Super Saver fares and were wondering if the seats have seat assignments. How was your experience with economy class tickets? I have been looking through posts and have not seen any recent posts. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

VIA RAIL is great. Like AMTRAK, no reserved seating; get in line early if you want to sit together.

Miami-Ocho Rios-Grand Cayman-Miami

Lisbon-Cadiz-Casablanca-Funchal-Ft. Lauderdale

New York-St. George-Hamilton-New York

Last edited by Langoustine; August 28th, 2012 at 11:39 PM.

Old September 1st, 2012, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimary View Post
Does anyone have info on train from Montreal (Central Station) to Old Quebec City(Palace) it looks like. I am looking at tickets the end of Sept one way. I see the Super Saver fares and were wondering if the seats have seat assignments. How was your experience with economy class tickets? I have been looking through posts and have not seen any recent posts. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou
We have booked the train from Montreal to Quebec City on Oct. 6 with the supersaver fare and we do have assigned seats. I did it online and they ask you whether you want an isle or window seat. My husband and I have seats next to each other - an isle and a window. We are getting on the Emerald Princess in Quebec City of Oct. 6. We are also taking Amtrak from NY to Montreal on Oct. 4. Happy sailing. Willa

Old September 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

They now do assigned seats in regular class as well as in business class. I always enjoy VIA, but I'm a sucker for train travel, reminds me of a boat.

Cheers,

Deb

SAILED!

January 2014 - EMERALD PRINCESS - Southern Caribbean Medley
October 2012 - EURODAM - Colours of Canada/New England
February 2012 - NIEUW AMSTERDAM - Eastern Caribbean
October 2011 - MS NOORDAM - Mediterranean Enchantment
January 2011 - MS RYNDAM - Western Caribbean
February 2010 - MS EURODAM - Eastern Caribbean
May 2009 - MS STATENDAM - Alaska Cruise Tour #25
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old September 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrj46 View Post
We have booked the train from Montreal to Quebec City on Oct. 6 with the supersaver fare and we do have assigned seats. I did it online and they ask you whether you want an isle or window seat. My husband and I have seats next to each other - an isle and a window. We are getting on the Emerald Princess in Quebec City of Oct. 6. We are also taking Amtrak from NY to Montreal on Oct. 4. Happy sailing. Willa
We are also doing this on the same day and sailing on the same ship as above. We booked our tickets at the beginning of year and received assigned seating. We also received an email from VIA Rail saying that our train was changed and will have a baggage car. When I phoned to confirm our seating, per the instructions, we had the same seating but the customer service agent I spoke with didn't know anything about it.

My travel blog ...click to read

Photobook of Tahiti Hawaii 2014 on the Pacific Princess | Photos of Tahiti Hawaii 2014 on the Pacific Princess | Videos of Tahiti Hawaii 2014 on the Pacific Princess | PHOTObook of Alaska 2013 on the RCCL Radiance of the Seas | VIDEOS of Alaska 2013 on the RCCL Radiance of the Seas | Photos of Canada New England 2012 on the Emerald Princess; Videos of Canada New England 2012 on the Emerald Princess | Photos of Alaska 2012 on the Celebrity Century | Photos of Coastal Cruise 2011 on the HAL Volendam | Photos of Caribbean 2011 on the Emerald Princess; Videos of Caribbean 2011 on the Emerald Princess | Photos of Coastal 2010 on the Golden Princess | Photos of Panama 2009 on the Coral Princess; Videos of Panama 2009 on the Coral Princess | Photos of Alaska 2009 on the HAL Zuiderdam; Videos of Alaska 2009 on HAL Zuiderdam | Photos of Alaska 2008 on the NCL Sun | Photos of Hawaii 2005 on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas

Old September 9th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmedeb View Post
They now do assigned seats in regular class as well as in business class.
Very cool, I did not know this, as they weren't doing this the last time I rode VIA. If only AMTRAK were as modern...

Miami-Ocho Rios-Grand Cayman-Miami

Lisbon-Cadiz-Casablanca-Funchal-Ft. Lauderdale

New York-St. George-Hamilton-New York

Old September 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langoustine View Post
Very cool, I did not know this, as they weren't doing this the last time I rode VIA. If only AMTRAK were as modern...
Very new, implemented in the last few months I believe. Makes things WAY easier when boarding, before it could be a bit of a freeforall.

Deb

SAILED!

January 2014 - EMERALD PRINCESS - Southern Caribbean Medley
October 2012 - EURODAM - Colours of Canada/New England
February 2012 - NIEUW AMSTERDAM - Eastern Caribbean
October 2011 - MS NOORDAM - Mediterranean Enchantment
January 2011 - MS RYNDAM - Western Caribbean
February 2010 - MS EURODAM - Eastern Caribbean
May 2009 - MS STATENDAM - Alaska Cruise Tour #25
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old September 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Supersaver business class is worth it at the end of a cruise if you're willing to consider it.

Old September 12th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ni! I commuted for 20 years, often by train, between Québec city and Montréal until little over a year ago. Via Rail does assign seats but sometimes, as you board, you find that they changed the type of train and assignements don't work. People are accommodating and will let small groups sit together.

Some seats have you riding backwards, so if it is something that bothers you, ask for a seat facing forward and not the one fading the partition.

IMHO first class is not worth it, the différence is only for the meal..

Via Rail has online specials for last minute booking that can be a really really good deal. But you never know in advance what routes will be on

I really enjoy the ride, even alter 20 years. Plus you get on and off right downtown !
Have a nice trip.

Last edited by Sailingpeace; September 12th, 2012 at 09:38 PM.

Old October 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

how much is taxi to pier?
thks frank
Celebrity Elite
Carnival 11
NWL 10
Rennassiance 02
Oceania 1

"100" cruises so far

Old October 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb0075 View Post
how much is taxi to pier?
thks frank
We just returned and were trying to rack our brains figuring out what we paid. We both don't think it was more then $15 Cdn (including tip). However, the station is close enough to the pier that if you don't have alot of luggage, you can walk. We saw several people doing that.

Photobook of Tahiti Hawaii 2014 on the Pacific Princess | Photos of Tahiti Hawaii 2014 on the Pacific Princess | Videos of Tahiti Hawaii 2014 on the Pacific Princess | PHOTObook of Alaska 2013 on the RCCL Radiance of the Seas | VIDEOS of Alaska 2013 on the RCCL Radiance of the Seas | Photos of Canada New England 2012 on the Emerald Princess; Videos of Canada New England 2012 on the Emerald Princess | Photos of Alaska 2012 on the Celebrity Century | Photos of Coastal Cruise 2011 on the HAL Volendam | Photos of Caribbean 2011 on the Emerald Princess; Videos of Caribbean 2011 on the Emerald Princess | Photos of Coastal 2010 on the Golden Princess | Photos of Panama 2009 on the Coral Princess; Videos of Panama 2009 on the Coral Princess | Photos of Alaska 2009 on the HAL Zuiderdam; Videos of Alaska 2009 on HAL Zuiderdam | Photos of Alaska 2008 on the NCL Sun | Photos of Hawaii 2005 on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas

Old March 4th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Curious to know if the train was on time.. I likely will do this the morning the cruise starts..
Carnival Destiny (2006)
Carnival Valor (2007)
Grandeur of the Seas (2008)
Carnival Glory (June 2011)
Holland America ms Veendam (July 6, 2013)

Old March 4th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrosch View Post
Curious to know if the train was on time.. I likely will do this the morning the cruise starts..
For our particular ride the train was on time.

Old April 15th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What about luggage?

Do you carry it on the train or is it checked?