Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 15th, 2012, 02:19 PM
granni10 granni10 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: miami fl
Posts: 89
Default If cruise price goes down, am I Screwed???

If we pay in full for our cruise 77 days before our cruise date, and the price of the cruise goes down, is there anything we can get or do? Or are we SCREWED???
Thanks
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old September 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Scott34787 Scott34787 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by granni10 View Post
If we pay in full for our cruise 77 days before our cruise date, and the price of the cruise goes down, is there anything we can get or do? Or are we SCREWED???
Thanks
Unless you booked early saver you can't take advantage of price drops after FP.

Last edited by Scott34787; September 15th, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old September 15th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Isa65's Avatar
Isa65 Isa65 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott34787 View Post
Unless you booked early saver you can't take advantage of price drops after FP.
However, you can ask to be moved to a higher category if available (and pricing is equal or lower than your current category). So, not totally screwed, but no OBC either...
__________________
Isa65 - BanTravel


Next adventures:


Nov 2014 - Carnival Conquest - FREE Cruise!
July 2015 - Back2Back Carnival Victory

Oct 2015 - Carnival Splendor - Canada/New England
Nov 2015 - Carnival Valor - Reunion Cruise Splendorifics
March 2016 - Carnival Conquest
April 2016 - Carnival Breeze
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old September 15th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Zoey Zoey is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 797
Default

Apparently, even Early Saver may not be protection from price drops. The cruise I booked several months ago is now $100 less. I haven't made final payment yet (which is due next week) and I have been trying unsuccessfully for nine or ten days to get the price adjusted. I have sent in three or four Price Protection forms AND been told over the phone by a Carnival representative that I definitely qualify for the drop and she would note it on my account but STILL no adjustment has been made. It is VERY frustrating because I was kind of afraid to book under ES to begin with because I've taken many cruises and KNOW that the prices can drop. But I thought I was safe with Carnival's Price Protection program. Unfortunately.......NOT.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old September 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM
firefly333's Avatar
firefly333 firefly333 is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 71,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by granni10 View Post
If we pay in full for our cruise 77 days before our cruise date, and the price of the cruise goes down, is there anything we can get or do? Or are we SCREWED???
Thanks
it makes no difference when you pay.

What matters is Carnival's final payment date. They will refund the money up until their final payment date.

All rates get price drops until midnight the night before Carnival's date.. it makes no difference if as you say.. you paid early.

It depends on the length of the cruise.. when the final payment date is.. so Im not sure.. but if you are only paying 2 days early.. chances are in those 2 days.. no price drops.
__________________
Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, RCL Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/12/14

Last edited by firefly333; September 15th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM
KrystalWaters's Avatar
KrystalWaters KrystalWaters is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Coast By Way of Midwest
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey View Post
Apparently, even Early Saver may not be protection from price drops. The cruise I booked several months ago is now $100 less. I haven't made final payment yet (which is due next week) and I have been trying unsuccessfully for nine or ten days to get the price adjusted. I have sent in three or four Price Protection forms AND been told over the phone by a Carnival representative that I definitely qualify for the drop and she would note it on my account but STILL no adjustment has been made. It is VERY frustrating because I was kind of afraid to book under ES to begin with because I've taken many cruises and KNOW that the prices can drop. But I thought I was safe with Carnival's Price Protection program. Unfortunately.......NOT.
Zoey they are pretty backed up. They ask for 5-10 business days to process. If it has been more than that call them on MONDAY because that department is not accessible during the weekend so they can research your request. I know i put in a request..1st time took 3 business days to come back...the last one too about 10 business days. Don't give up on ES just yet.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Carol_B's Avatar
Carol_B Carol_B is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rogers AR
Posts: 49
Default

I had a price drop yesterday morning so I emailed the lady handling it for me (not booked thru Carnival) and by yesterday afternoon I had the adjustment of $40.00 that makes a total of $110.00 in price drops so far
__________________

Upcoming Disney Dream 5/11/14
Sailed CCL - Elation 12/20/2012
Sailed CCL. - Triumph 4/5/2012.
Sailed. NCL- Sky 9/26/2011
Sailed CCL- Destiny 2010 Spring Break
Sailed CCL- Fantasy 2/7/09 JH bloggers
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM
golfadj's Avatar
golfadj golfadj is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 29,375
Default

If you were satisfied with the price you booked at why would you think you were screwed if the price went down/
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:28 PM
tximprov tximprov is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: fort worth, texas
Posts: 550
Default

It does take a few days and even up to the full 10 days to get the response from early saver forms. If you send in multiple forms that only clogs up the system even further. I love early saver.. I have saved untold amounts of money on the cruises i have booked with it. I have $460 in OBC for my cruise in two weeks....I also saved $120 a room for three rooms booked for a march cruise. be patient and give them time to process the paperwork.
__________________





Conquest 9/12
Magic 12/11
Triumpn 10/11
Conquest 2/11
Spirit 9/10
Conquest 10/09
Ecstacy 3/09
Conquest 11/08
Pride 09/07
Elation 02/06
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM
cuyahoga11's Avatar
cuyahoga11 cuyahoga11 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 5,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey View Post
Apparently, even Early Saver may not be protection from price drops. The cruise I booked several months ago is now $100 less. I haven't made final payment yet (which is due next week) and I have been trying unsuccessfully for nine or ten days to get the price adjusted. I have sent in three or four Price Protection forms AND been told over the phone by a Carnival representative that I definitely qualify for the drop and she would note it on my account but STILL no adjustment has been made. It is VERY frustrating because I was kind of afraid to book under ES to begin with because I've taken many cruises and KNOW that the prices can drop. But I thought I was safe with Carnival's Price Protection program. Unfortunately.......NOT.
If you are before final payment date, why not call the person you booked with for the credit instead of the form. All rates are adjusted before final payment date.
__________________
Diana







Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:39 PM
KPfromCT's Avatar
KPfromCT KPfromCT is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfadj View Post
If you were satisfied with the price you booked at why would you think you were screwed if the price went down/
Wouldn't YOU be upset if this was you??? I feel like alot of your posts are so HARSH!!! Now I can see why JH spoke of you in his blog last week. Geez. People come here for support, not criticism.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Formerly "Cruisebug 1970"


01-1994 Carnival Sensation
04-15-2012 Carnival Pride
04-13-2013 Carnival Breeze
07-05-2014 Carnival Breeze



Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:44 PM
RuthlessBoss RuthlessBoss is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfadj View Post
If you were satisfied with the price you booked at why would you think you were screwed if the price went down/
Quote:
Originally Posted by tximprov View Post
It does take a few days and even up to the full 10 days to get the response from early saver forms. If you send in multiple forms that only clogs up the system even further. I love early saver.. I have saved untold amounts of money on the cruises i have booked with it. I have $460 in OBC for my cruise in two weeks....I also saved $120 a room for three rooms booked for a march cruise. be patient and give them time to process the paperwork.
Why would you be satisfied? Wouldn't YOU want the decrease, or do you not bother?

Read the bottom post here, that's why!!
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:54 PM
KPfromCT's Avatar
KPfromCT KPfromCT is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthlessBoss View Post
Why would you be satisfied? Wouldn't YOU want the decrease, or do you not bother?

Read the bottom post here, that's why!!
Like!!!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Formerly "Cruisebug 1970"


01-1994 Carnival Sensation
04-15-2012 Carnival Pride
04-13-2013 Carnival Breeze
07-05-2014 Carnival Breeze



Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM
kerrytens's Avatar
kerrytens kerrytens is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The 'shwa, Ontario!
Posts: 4,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfadj View Post
If you were satisfied with the price you booked at why would you think you were screwed if the price went down/
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisebug1970 View Post
Wouldn't YOU be upset if this was you??? I feel like alot of your posts are so HARSH!!! Now I can see why JH spoke of you in his blog last week. Geez. People come here for support, not criticism.

I don't see Stu's response as harsh at all. In fact, I think there is great truth in it. If you find a price that you book at, you obviously must feel it is fair. I never count on a price drop. I certainly would never feel 'screwed' if the price went down after final payment. That is the chance that one takes - wait and see what happens or get what you want and be happy.
__________________










...If you allow yourself to settle for less than you deserve, that's exactly what you'll get
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:10 PM
firefly333's Avatar
firefly333 firefly333 is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 71,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrytens View Post
I don't see Stu's response as harsh at all. In fact, I think there is great truth in it. If you find a price that you book at, you obviously must feel it is fair. I never count on a price drop. I certainly would never feel 'screwed' if the price went down after final payment. That is the chance that one takes - wait and see what happens or get what you want and be happy.
I guess I feel differently. I have paid a higher price than I am used to paying, or higher than I paid in the past.. because thats what it was.. and for whatever reason .. I wanted to be on that exact cruise.. so I paid the price.

It for sure doesnt mean I am satisfied with the price .. just because I said ok Ill pay it. that is something people say that makes no sense to me either. like a cop out.. well you must have been satisfied with the price or you wouldnt have agreed to book it.. ahh well not actually.
__________________
Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, RCL Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/12/14
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM
KPfromCT's Avatar
KPfromCT KPfromCT is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrytens View Post
I don't see Stu's response as harsh at all. In fact, I think there is great truth in it. If you find a price that you book at, you obviously must feel it is fair. I never count on a price drop. I certainly would never feel 'screwed' if the price went down after final payment. That is the chance that one takes - wait and see what happens or get what you want and be happy.
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be thrilled to know you could have saved $$$$$. I think that's all the OP is saying. ANYONE would be upset to find out they COULD have booked for cheaper. His replies just always seem to come across as rude, IMHO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Formerly "Cruisebug 1970"


01-1994 Carnival Sensation
04-15-2012 Carnival Pride
04-13-2013 Carnival Breeze
07-05-2014 Carnival Breeze



Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:27 PM
RuthlessBoss RuthlessBoss is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisebug1970 View Post
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be thrilled to know you could have saved $$$$$. I think that's all the OP is saying. ANYONE would be upset to find out they COULD have booked for cheaper. His replies just always seem to come across as rude, IMHO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly We all know the price we booked for, the point is why sit back and let the next person get it for$100 cheaper while you sit by and say "oh, well, I'll just pay it".
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:38 PM
kerrytens's Avatar
kerrytens kerrytens is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The 'shwa, Ontario!
Posts: 4,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisebug1970 View Post
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be thrilled to know you could have saved $$$$$. I think that's all the OP is saying. ANYONE would be upset to find out they COULD have booked for cheaper. His replies just always seem to come across as rude, IMHO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually you are wrong in my particular case - I do not get upset if the price drops after final payment. It is the chance that I take in order to get the specific room that I want. If I was willing to settle for something else (possibly below the pool or near the kitchen or above a late night lounge ... you get the idea ), then, sure, I'd book at the last minute and take advantage of some good pricing.

Besides, if you really are that concerned over price drops and ensuring that you can get them, book ES.
__________________










...If you allow yourself to settle for less than you deserve, that's exactly what you'll get
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
kerrytens's Avatar
kerrytens kerrytens is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The 'shwa, Ontario!
Posts: 4,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly333 View Post
I guess I feel differently. I have paid a higher price than I am used to paying, or higher than I paid in the past.. because thats what it was.. and for whatever reason .. I wanted to be on that exact cruise.. so I paid the price.

It for sure doesnt mean I am satisfied with the price .. just because I said ok Ill pay it. that is something people say that makes no sense to me either. like a cop out.. well you must have been satisfied with the price or you wouldnt have agreed to book it.. ahh well not actually.
I would not book a ship if I had to settle for a price though, especially if I thought it was too high. That would be the difference here.
__________________










...If you allow yourself to settle for less than you deserve, that's exactly what you'll get
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM
larkz's Avatar
larkz larkz is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfadj View Post
If you were satisfied with the price you booked at why would you think you were screwed if the price went down/
Perfectly reasonable question.

Sure OP, strive to get the best deal you can, but don't get yourself into a funk. If you're correct about qualifying for the price drop, keep up the pressure to get it applied. If not, if the price was worth booking for, it doesn't make sense to let it put a damper on your vacation.
__________________
Next Ecstasy 12-1-2014
Carnival Liberty 12-14-2013
Carnival Victory 11-25-12
Carnival Liberty 12-17-2011
Carnival Dream 11-13-2010
Carnival Valor 12-13-2009
Carnival Mardi Gras 12-25-1977
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.