Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Australia & New Zealand Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 16th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Can you swim............... Only joking - there is nothing official anywhere to indicate all debts have been paid. Athena is still moored - and is supposed to be somewhere else having a refit. Not scaremongering - and I do believe the Australian cruises are good to go - but the cruises in the Northern Hemisphere were good to go as well. Someone has to pay the bill. So without any further speculation - let's all sit and wait.

It'll all come out in the wash

Dizzy (Liz)

Coming up: Dawn Princess 4 nights Freo to Freo - April 10 2015

Superstar Gemini - 2002 - Asia -Singapore-Phuket-Kuala Lumpur -Phi Phi Islands -Penang - Malacca
Funchal - 2004 (Aus) - Three days to nowhere (Indian Ocean - south of Femantle)
Superstar Virgo x 2- 2003 & 2007 Asia - Singapore - Phuket - Kuala Lumpur - Langkawi - Penang
Costa Allegra - May 16th 2009 - 14 days Singapore - Ho Chi Minh City - Da Nang - Hong Kong - Kota Kinabula - Borneo - Brunei - Singapore
Pacific Sun - Jan 2010 - 3 days to nowhere Fremantle
Costa Classica - April 2011 - 7 days Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Phuket - Penang - Langkawi - Malacca (not necessarily in that order!!)
Dawn Princess Dec 2013- 14 days Melbourne - NZ return

Old October 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default AWESUM Dizzy Lizzy

I have decided today, knowing that I will prob not see my airfares again.......the best thing to do will be head to Europe and hope for the best. If the ship isnt in port in Rome - they will fly us all home anyway!!! and then they will refund our cruise fares (or insurance will!!) Airlines (I think??) will be unlikely to refund any fares at all.
BUT no-one will even depart home if it is commmunicated to us before departure the ship and the homebound journey is doomed......
Can anyone please offer any advise regarding this decision.....
BTW Dizzy Lizzy - WE ARE NOT SWIMMING..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thanks for the advise.... Mel

Old October 19th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cic australia/m/v athena - please investigate urgently

Based on information from the ASIC (Australian Securities & Investments Commission) on September 28th the shares of CIC Australia were transferred by G & S Hunter Pty Limited to Royal Atlas Maritime Inc, a Panamanian registered company. This doesn't seem very nice.

Old October 19th, 2012, 03:41 PM
10,000+ Club

Sounds like the old story...
They have fled to South America....

(wonder how much money they took with them??)

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old October 19th, 2012, 06:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa mc View Post
I have decided today, knowing that I will prob not see my airfares again.......the best thing to do will be head to Europe and hope for the best. If the ship isnt in port in Rome - they will fly us all home anyway!!! and then they will refund our cruise fares (or insurance will!!) Airlines (I think??) will be unlikely to refund any fares at all.
BUT no-one will even depart home if it is commmunicated to us before departure the ship and the homebound journey is doomed......
Can anyone please offer any advise regarding this decision.....
BTW Dizzy Lizzy - WE ARE NOT SWIMMING..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thanks for the advise.... Mel
Lodge your complaint now with the Insurance Company/Credit Card Company. If you show good cause why you want to cancel, especially in regards to the CC if you booked the flights with them, they will refund after the date of the flight. We were involved with the illfated Strategic/Air Australia fiasco and got our money back after the sail date for not getting the service which was booked. Worth a try..... send them all the newspaper articles to back up your case.

cwejsmith@gmail.com
Grand Princess - California Coastal from San Francisco - April 2016
Grand Princess - San Francisco - Hawaii return - April 2016
Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea - September 2015
Diamond Princess - Singapore to Tokyo - April 2015
Ruby Princess - TA to NY - Norway/Iceland - Sept 2014
Ruby Princess - British Isles - August 2014
Sea Princess - Aust Coastal - May 2014
Diamond Princess - Tasmania - December 2013
Diamond Princess - Aust to China - March 2013
Diamond Princess - New Zealand - Feb 2013
Ruby Princess - Mediterranean - May 2012
Ruby Princess - FLL to Barcelona - April 2012
Ruby Princess - Caribbean - April 2012
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - March 2012
Dawn Princess - Sydney/Melb - Dec 2011
Pacific Dawn - New Zealand - October 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - July 2011
Diamond Princess - Alaska - May 2011
Diamond Princess - China to Alaska Repo. - May 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - April 2011
Dawn Princess - Melb/Sydney - March 2011
Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise - Nov 2010
Oriana P & O UK - Sydney/Brisbane - Nov 2010
Pacific Sun - Newcastle/Brisbane - Sept 2010
Sun Princess - Sydney/Brisbane - April 2010
Coral Princess -FLL to LA via Panama Canal -Feb 2010
Pacific Dawn - Sydney/Brisbane - Dec 2009
Sun Princess - Vanuatu/New Caledonia - Feb 2009

Old October 19th, 2012, 11:35 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax106 View Post
Based on information from the ASIC (Australian Securities & Investments Commission) on September 28th the shares of CIC Australia were transferred by G & S Hunter Pty Limited to Royal Atlas Maritime Inc, a Panamanian registered company. This doesn't seem very nice.
Not cause for concern of itself. Lots of Australian companies are held/registered overseas.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Oh well

In similar position ...flying from Perth to Paris on 4th November. My husband and I are sure we will hear nothing other than CIC Australia company line that the cruise will go ahead. Be ready to board on 12th Nov in Marseille ...and if not then pick up a flight home and go to New Zealand for a fly drive. Are we expecting a refund...hope so...if so how long would it take through the company. I have been told that the money is in trust until ship leaves port...that info from CIC Australia in Sydney ....true???? Will be checking posts daily ...good luck everyone ...maybe meet you on board???? think I am attaching this to wrong reply...new at this sorry

Old October 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy and Charlie's Mum View Post
Lodge your complaint now with the Insurance Company/Credit Card Company. If you show good cause why you want to cancel, especially in regards to the CC if you booked the flights with them, they will refund after the date of the flight. We were involved with the illfated Strategic/Air Australia fiasco and got our money back after the sail date for not getting the service which was booked. Worth a try..... send them all the newspaper articles to back up your case.
what newspaper articles...may need to collect. Our first inkling was some one interviewed on the radio at 7.15 in the morning. A rude awakening. Our travel agent phoned us later that day.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Jo Zep View Post
In similar position ...flying from Perth to Paris on 4th November. My husband and I are sure we will hear nothing other than CIC Australia company line that the cruise will go ahead. Be ready to board on 12th Nov in Marseille ...and if not then pick up a flight home and go to New Zealand for a fly drive. Are we expecting a refund...hope so...if so how long would it take through the company. I have been told that the money is in trust until ship leaves port...that info from CIC Australia in Sydney ....true???? Will be checking posts daily ...good luck everyone ...maybe meet you on board???? think I am attaching this to wrong reply...new at this sorry
Another Perth sucker about to fly out for Paris on the 6th with no guarantee of a ride home. I have contacted CIC Aust with no guaranteed outcome. Just tell me the ship is sailing and hope that I feel reassured. Not likely. I find it absolutely amazing that CIC Aust have put nothing on their website to inform customers of the current situation. Don't know why they employ a PR person. I guess it's just wait and see now.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:27 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRego View Post
Another Perth sucker about to fly out for Paris on the 6th with no guarantee of a ride home. I have contacted CIC Aust with no guaranteed outcome. Just tell me the ship is sailing and hope that I feel reassured. Not likely. I find it absolutely amazing that CIC Aust have put nothing on their website to inform customers of the current situation. Don't know why they employ a PR person. I guess it's just wait and see now.
What a horrible situation, I would be asking the company to confirm by email that the ship will be sailing...just in case the worst happens the insurance company wont be able to say, you knew about the situation and therefore they are not responsible. I would also check out what your insurance company says about the situation so you know where you stand...just sayin'

Sue

More Recently
2004 Pacific Princess (Fiji, Vanuatu,New Caledonia)
2006 Star Princess (Darwin to Bangkok)
2008 Diamond Princess (Sydney to Auckland)
2009 Dawn Princess(Cherry Blossom, Asia, Japan, PNG,)
2009 Diamond Princess Bangkok to Sydney
2010 Diamond Princess Singapore to Sydney
2011 Volendam Sth Pacific
2011 Radiance of the Seas Long Dinner Party
2012 Dawn Princess Mel/Syd
2012 Dawn Princess Syd/Brisbane
2012 Aegean Odyysey Instanbul to Venice
2012 Radiance of the Seas
2013 Ocean Princess Honolulu/Tahiti/Tonga
2013 Celebrity Solstice New Zealand
2014 Voyager of the Seas
2014 Azamara Journey India to Athens via Suez Canal

[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com]

[IMG]http://clocks.cruise

Old October 23rd, 2012, 04:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRego View Post
Yep thats what we are doing leaving it to the chance that it might go...that is all we can do. Awful though...a long awaited holiday and first big cruise ...the stress is really spoiling the anticipation of the holiday. As we have no notification of cancellation we cannot risk not going to Paris ...we will not stay in europe if cancelled as it is winter and we are not organized to do anything else. Best made plans...

Maybe we will meet you on board....that's looking glass half full...or just wishful thinking???
Yep communication from CIC is really disgraceful.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:28 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
As we have no notification of cancellation we cannot risk not going to Paris ...we will not stay in europe if cancelled as it is winter and we are not organized to do anything else. Best made plans...

Although I'm optimistic that the cruise will sail, it'd be a shame to go all that way and not take advantage of it if it doesn't.

I was in Europe last Winter and had a great time. There's a massive range of choices from Christmas markets in Germany, skiing in the Alps if you're into that (still at good prices), and tourist attractions in Italy are much less crowded, yet it's still warm. Prices all over are more reasonable as it's not as busy touristically (though some cities are always more expensive than others).

Getting around on public transport is a cinch, so if the worst does eventuate, think about places you'd like to go and you shouldn't find it difficult. The only limit is working to a budget.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have just received an email from the Travel Editor of the West Australian - who I emailed last week - I also emailed the PR officer at Classic International Australia - and got no reply from him.
Reply from Travel Editor: We are already following this and there will be a story on Saturday.

CIC has not been advertising its cruises in Travel since the arrest of the ships.

Dizzy (Liz)

Superstar Gemini - 2002 - Asia -Singapore-Phuket-Kuala Lumpur -Phi Phi Islands -Penang - Malacca
Superstar Virgo x 2- 2003 & 2007 Asia - Singapore - Phuket - Kuala Lumpur - Langkawi - Penang
Costa Allegra - May 16th 2009 - 14 days Singapore - Ho Chi Minh City - Da Nang - Hong Kong - Kota Kinabula - Borneo - Brunei - Singapore
Costa Classica - April 2011 - 7 days Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Phuket - Penang - Langkawi - Malacca (not necessarily in that order!!)

Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yep thats what we are doing leaving it to the chance that it might go...that is all we can do. Awful though...a long awaited holiday and first big cruise ...the stress is really spoiling the anticipation of the holiday. As we have no notification of cancellation we cannot risk not going to Paris ...we will not stay in europe if cancelled as it is winter and we are not organized to do anything else. Best made plans...

Maybe we will meet you on board....that's looking glass half full...or just wishful thinking???
Yep communication from CIC is really disgraceful.
While its disappointing that the cruise looks off..I must say your attitude 'that its winter in Europe and nothing to do' is a little bit dramatic and actually somewhat short sighted.

Plenty of things to do..just not on a beach!!! Your within a cooee of some of the greatest cities in the world and there's nothing to do? Lord save me!! It takes no time at all to jump online and book hotels. I would even book one for the night of your cruise departure just to cover yourself...then take it from there.
Princess.
NCL (never again).
CTC Lines (USSR - actual wasn't bad).
Celebrity Cruises.
Chandris Lines.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default sounding like a bogan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andy6 View Post
While its disappointing that the cruise looks off..I must say your attitude 'that its winter in Europe and nothing to do' is a little bit dramatic and actually somewhat short sighted.

Plenty of things to do..just not on a beach!!! Your within a cooee of some of the greatest cities in the world and there's nothing to do? Lord save me!! It takes no time at all to jump online and book hotels. I would even book one for the night of your cruise departure just to cover yourself...then take it from there.
yes you are right ....we are not beachy people and know that there would be lots available... .....guess it has to do with cash flow...a lot tied up in the cruise ..five figures...and not expecting an automatic refund. sorry if I sounded like an uncultured bogan....it will be cash flow that will stop other meanderings through that great cultured continent. the joys of off season would be great too. Any way lets see. Looking forward to the newspaper article on Saturday...not that I am expecting any news.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I think it is really poor of the cruise line to leave you in this stressfull position and unable to cheerfully look forward to your cruise. Hope you get some definate news soon...did you check your travel insurance to see what they will do if you get stuck?

More Recently
2004 Pacific Princess (Fiji, Vanuatu,New Caledonia)
2006 Star Princess (Darwin to Bangkok)
2008 Diamond Princess (Sydney to Auckland)
2009 Dawn Princess(Cherry Blossom, Asia, Japan, PNG,)
2009 Diamond Princess Bangkok to Sydney
2010 Diamond Princess Singapore to Sydney
2011 Volendam Sth Pacific
2011 Radiance of the Seas Long Dinner Party
2012 Dawn Princess Mel/Syd
2012 Dawn Princess Syd/Brisbane
2012 Aegean Odyysey Instanbul to Venice
2012 Radiance of the Seas
2013 Ocean Princess Honolulu/Tahiti/Tonga
2013 Celebrity Solstice New Zealand
2014 Voyager of the Seas
2014 Azamara Journey India to Athens via Suez Canal

[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com]

[IMG]http://clocks.cruise

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

I would like to hope, think i might be dreaming though, that the cruise line or agent the cruise was booked through would have the common decency of advising their passengers personally, BEFORE any newspaper article is released of the decision on whether the Athena will be sailing or not........

Fingers crossed for you all that she sails.....fingers and everything else crossed that if she doesn't your money is safe cheers Shiona

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:39 AM
10,000+ Club

Fingers are crossed over here too.
You do not need this stress before your big adventure and voyage of a lifetime.

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old October 24th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

For West Australians - read the Travel Section of the West on Saturday:
I asked the question as per a post re the transfer to Panama - this is a reply I got today from the Editor of the Travel Section of the West Australian:

Just a bit of insight – the situation for the Portuguese owners and for CIC Australia, which is a separate company, is quite different. CIC Aust is solid and has been taking bookings without deposit and payment. I am talking with the MD of CIC Australia and there will be a story on Saturday.

It is also worth noting that Athena etc can only be booked through travel agents and, as such, travellers are then covered by the Travel Compensation Fund.

As I say, full story on Sat.

Dizzy (Liz)

Old October 24th, 2012, 05:11 PM
5,000+ Club

so stressful for you all
I hope and pray it works out and your cruise goes ahead
Greg

Imma Critter #42

Flash Mob Proposal link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=981

Future Cruises:

Quantum of the seas 2nd November 2014
Rhapsody of the seas 17 April thru to 12th June 2015