Pillow Chocolates

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:28 AM.
#1
Apple Valley, CA
2,471 Posts
Joined May 2009
Just for fun - do you like the pillow chocolates on your chosen cruiseline? I have sailed Holland America exclusively (just worked out that way) but certainly NOT for the chocolate. The chocolates left each evening are waxy, inspid milk chocolate and should be an embarassment to a Dutch line!

Anyone else care to weigh in, or share where my dream of extra dark good chocolates are left by the chocolate elves?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
AMY






August 2017 - Roundtrip Vancouver - HAL Volendam (7)
August 2014 - Voyage of the Midnight Sun - HAL Rotterdam (14)
December 2013 - Sunfarer Panama Canal - HAL Zuiderdam (11)
November 2012 - New Zealand Discovery - HAL Oosterdam (14)
August 2010 - Celtic Legends - HAL Westerdam (12)
September 2009 - Mediterranean - HAL Oosterdam (12)
October 2005 - Canada/New England - HAL Maasdam (8)
August 2004 - Alaska - HAL Ryndam (7)
July 2002 - Baltic Capitals - HAL Noordam (10)
#2
New Orleans
98 Posts
Joined May 2012
I didn't even taste any of the chocolates left on my bed on my Carnival cruise, but I did bring them home and gave them out as souvenirs! My non-cruise people don't need to know they were left on my pillow each night, for all they know, I bought them in the gift shop.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#3
Fredericksburg, va. USA
80,934 Posts
Joined May 2001
I've already brushed my teeth before going to bed.....not going to eat chocolate then! I throw them in my suitcase....sometimes I eat them later, but I usually end up throwing them away at some future date!

Not all cruiselines do the turn-down chocolates anymore...you can always bring your own, if you feel the need...and some folks do!
#4
81,184 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
We like receiving the pillow chocoates on HAL ships and think it a lovely touch. I don't often eat them. Most times, we bring them home and put them in the wrapped candy dish and DH usually has one here or there and thinks of our criuses.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
#5
Apple Valley, CA
2,471 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by sail7seas
We like receiving the pillow chocoates on HAL ships and think it a lovely touch. I don't often eat them. Most times, we bring them home and put them in the wrapped candy dish and DH usually has one here or there and thinks of our criuses.
Sail, the funny thing is that if they were not left I'd be quite miffed. Even though I think they are inedible! I especially love when the cabin stewards use them to embellish the towel animals. 60 days and counting....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
AMY






August 2017 - Roundtrip Vancouver - HAL Volendam (7)
August 2014 - Voyage of the Midnight Sun - HAL Rotterdam (14)
December 2013 - Sunfarer Panama Canal - HAL Zuiderdam (11)
November 2012 - New Zealand Discovery - HAL Oosterdam (14)
August 2010 - Celtic Legends - HAL Westerdam (12)
September 2009 - Mediterranean - HAL Oosterdam (12)
October 2005 - Canada/New England - HAL Maasdam (8)
August 2004 - Alaska - HAL Ryndam (7)
July 2002 - Baltic Capitals - HAL Noordam (10)
#6
Grove, OK on Grand Lake
3,514 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Hey Amy! The pillow chocolates on Carnival are nasty, IMO. I ate one on my first Carnival cruise and that was it for me. I bring them home and share with my office, for some odd reason, they like them
Donna
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic Western Caribbean - 02-02-14
Carnival Splendor 15 day Hawaiian Cruise - 01-19-13 (Kruzin' Kahunas)
Carnival Conquest Final Voyage-Galveston - 11-06-11
Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean - 10-31-10 (7 ports of call, if you count San Juan!!)
Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean-02-14-10
Carnival Conquest Inaugural Eastern Caribbean-02-15-09 (Parrot Head's Cruise)
Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean-02/10/08 (First Cruise)

We are off to the Exotic Western Caribbean!


<A" target="_blank">
#7
Summerville, SC
6,576 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Like the chocolates on Celebrity. They come in an assortment of flavors, so one night it may be just regular milk chocolate, the next orange chocolate, mocha the next etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past/Upcoming Cruises:
Song of Norway (7 night Western Caribbean)-1981
Fair Sky (12 night Alaska)-1985
Nordic Prince (7 night Bermuda)-1990
Norwegian Sea (7 night Western Caribbean)-2004
Celebration (5 night Bahamas)-2005
Norwegian Majesty (7 night Western Caribbean)-2006
Mariner of The Seas (7 night Eastern Caribbean)- Sep. 2007
Norwegian Star (8 night Mexican Riviera)-April 2008
Carnival Glory (7 night Western Caribbean)-November 2008
Celebrity Constellation (11 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)- April 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 night Alaska)- August 2009
Celebrity Mercury (11 night Eastern Caribbean)-March 2010
Celebrity Constellation (14 night Southern Caribbean)-March 2011
Celebrity Silhouette (12 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)-March 2012
Freedom of The Seas (14 Night Back-To-Back Western/Eastern Caribbean)-April 2013

Carnival Fantasy (7 Night Eastern Caribbean)-August 2014
Celebrity Silhouette (7 Night Western Caribbean)-March 2015
Carnival Sunshine(10 Night Eastern Caribbean)- May 2016
Carnival Sunshine (5 Night Bahamas) -November 2016
Carnival Magic (7 Night Western Caribbean) - February 2017
Oasis of The Seas (7 Night Eastern Caribbean) - October 2017
Celebrity Edge (7 Night Eastern Caribbean) - January 2019



#8
105,217 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
I don't like HAL's chocolate -- they are not good.

Plus I love DARK chocolate -- and I take my chocolates on every cruise -- no matter what cruise line we sail on.

DH eats the chocolates when he takes his bedtime medications.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
#11
673 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by magandab
Just for fun - do you like the pillow chocolates on your chosen cruiseline? I have sailed Holland America exclusively (just worked out that way) but certainly NOT for the chocolate. The chocolates left each evening are waxy, inspid milk chocolate and should be an embarassment to a Dutch line!

Anyone else care to weigh in, or share where my dream of extra dark good chocolates are left by the chocolate elves?
I'll eat one or two, but sometimes they do taste a little waxy so I give them away when I get home
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#13
Tampa Bay, Florida
10,190 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
The Carnival chocolates are pretty bad by themselves. They taste like the cheap Dollar store candy, but if you unwrap one piece and put it in a hot cup of coffee and then top it with some soft-serve vanilla ice-cream, it's not so bad. For and extra special treat, add a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream or Kahula. It makes a decent night-cap for the balcony.


.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cari

Carnival Legend
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Liberty

Carnival Paradise ** Upcoming Girlfriend Cruise.
#14
0ttawa ON Canada
6,148 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Hoosiercouple
The Carnival chocolates are pretty bad by themselves. They taste like the cheap Dollar store candy, but if you unwrap one piece and put it in a hot cup of coffee and then top it with some soft-serve vanilla ice-cream, it's not so bad. For and extra special treat, add a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream or Kahula. It makes a decent night-cap for the balcony.


.
LOL, on a 7 day cruise, I will just stack those square little packets of chocolate up on the vanity and maybe eat one. Then I take them home to pawn them off on friends and family But now that you have educated me how to make the most of them, they may not make it into my suitcase! Thanks for the tip!
#15
127 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Hoosiercouple
The Carnival chocolates are pretty bad by themselves. They taste like the cheap Dollar store candy, but if you unwrap one piece and put it in a hot cup of coffee and then top it with some soft-serve vanilla ice-cream, it's not so bad. For and extra special treat, add a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream or Kahula. It makes a decent night-cap for the balcony.


.
I think I'm going to try this on the Magic! 43 days! Woot!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
06-12-2011 Carnival Conquest

#16
Northern Virginia, USA
31 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
The signature chocolates left at bed turndown are good. I think they are Girardelli Squares in the different flavors. Especially if I've had wine with dinner, I'll eat one when I get back to my room at night. My husband always says, "How can you eat that now after all we just ate during our meal?" Is he kidding? There is always a little bit of room left for a piece of good chocolate! And I wonder how I gained 6 lbs in 10 days?....LOL!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oceania, Riviera- Jewels of the Riviera Aug. 2-19, 2015
Celebrity, Reflection - Eastern Caribbean Getaway Feb. 08-15, 2014
Oceania, Riviera- Italian Escapades July 03-13, 2013
Oceania, Marina- Mediterranean Tapestry May 02-12, 2012
#17
105,217 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
HAL's chocolates have gotten too sugary -- cheap.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
#18
Manchester UK.
423 Posts
Joined May 2008
Celebrity have some lovely ones. Not tiny little things like some lines, decent size (still not big enough for me, could eat more!). Different flavours each night and different wrappers. Milk, coffee, orange flower, lime. If they'd sold them in the onboard shop to bring home I'd have gotten some.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises..
Emerald Princess. Caribbean. 20th-29th Nov '08
Celebrity Mercury. Alaska. 7th-14th Jun '09
Celebrity Millennium. Caribbean. 12th-22nd Nov '10
Celebrity Equinox. Caribbean. Dec 12th '11
Celebrity Millennium Australia to Singapore, Nov '13
Celebrity Reflection. Caribbean, Nov 8th '14
Norwegian Getaway. Caribbean, Nov 15th '14
P&O Britannia. Mediterranean. April 11th '15
#19
New England, USA
257 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
The chocolates on Celebrity are very adult - ginger passion fruit, flavors like that - they are quite lovely, of high quality. We generally save them all and bring them home, enjoying them as a treat over the months to come. For us, to eat a chocolate at night, after we have eaten our meal which always includes dessert, not to mention cocktails and/or wine - urgh, to ingest that piece of chocolate at that time would not be a pleasure at all, so we take them home and then we truly enjoy each morsel, over time, not only the taste but the memories they bring back of our cruise, each cruise better than the last!

Note: My avatar - after our B2B Australian and New Zealand cruises, my daughter and I had countless chocolates (often our room steward gave my daughter's stuffed animals chocolates - SO CUTE - the steward would pose the stuffed kiwi, stuffed lamb and stuffed kangaroo that my daughter collected on shore excursions, in the room with chocolates of their own - such a treat to return to our cabin and find such frivolity, not to mention extra chocolates!). We brought literally every single one of them home, and we made the Celebrity logo "X" out of the chocolates, and then we have eaten them slowly as the months have passed, enjoying them so much more than we would have on the nights that we received them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL Sun Viking May 1989; Western Caribbean
Celebrity Equinox August 2011; 11 Night Mediterranean (Istanbul) - review
Celebrity Solstice August 2012; 12 Night Mediterranean (Venice) - review
Celebrity Summit October 2012; 7 Night Caribbean Repositioning, NJ to San Juan - review
Celebrity Solstice Jan 2013; 12 Night Sydney, Australia - Auckland, New Zealand - review
Celebrity Solstice Jan 2013; 18 Night Auckland, New Zealand - Perth, Australia - review
Celebrity Equinox April 2013; 15 Night Eastbound Transatlantic; Canary Islands, Strait of Gibraltar - review
Celebrity Silhouette Sept 2013; 11 Night Adriatic Venice to Rome - review
Celebrity Summit April 2014; 8 Night Bermuda & Caribbean Repo, San Juan to NJ - review
Celebrity Eclipse August 2014; 14 Night Baltic Sea - Scandinavia & Russia - review
Celebrity Solstice Sept 2014; 11 Night Alaska - Skagway, Juneau, Inside Passage - review
Disney Magic Feb 2015; 7 Night Western Caribbean - review
Celebrity Infinity April 2015; 17 Night Panama Canal, FL to San Francisco - review
Celebrity Infinity May 2015; 11 Night San Francisco to Alaska - review
Uniworld River Empress August 2015; 7 Night Castles Along the Rhine, Switzerland to Amsterdam - review
Celebrity Silhouette Sept 2015; 11 Night Amsterdam to Rome - review
Celebrity Silhouette Sept 2015; 10 Night Mediterranean - Sardinia, Corsica - review
Disney Fantasy December 2015; 7 Night Caribbean Holiday Cruise - review
Celebrity Summit March 2016; 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Dominca, Martinique, St. Kitts - review
Celebrity Summit April 2016; 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua - review
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas Sept 2016; 7 Night New England/Canada - review
#20
105,217 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by lexmiller
The chocolates on Celebrity are very adult - ginger passion fruit, flavors like that - they are quite lovely, of high quality. We generally save them all and bring them home, enjoying them as a treat over the months to come. For us, to eat a chocolate at night, after we have eaten our meal which always includes dessert, not to mention cocktails and/or wine - urgh, to ingest that piece of chocolate at that time would not be a pleasure at all, so we take them home and then we truly enjoy each morsel, over time, not only the taste but the memories they bring back of our cruise, each cruise better than the last!

Note: My avatar - after our B2B Australian and New Zealand cruises, my daughter and I had countless chocolates (often our room steward gave my daughter's stuffed animals chocolates - SO CUTE - the steward would pose the stuffed kiwi, stuffed lamb and stuffed kangaroo that my daughter collected on shore excursions, in the room with chocolates of their own - such a treat to return to our cabin and find such frivolity, not to mention extra chocolates!). We brought literally every single one of them home, and we made the Celebrity logo "X" out of the chocolates, and then we have eaten them slowly as the months have passed, enjoying them so much more than we would have on the nights that we received them.
Those chocolates on "X" sound wonderful.

DH eats both of HAL's chocolates at bed time when he has to take 4 different medications -- to coat his stomach.

I looked at your avatar -- cute.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.