Did something happen on the Statendam?

Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2012
I saw a tweet earlier (since deleted) from a family member of the ship's crew that suggested there was a two hour power outage on the Statendam due to a fuel pump failure. Is anyone onboard that can confirm this?
City of Angels, CA
Joined May 2005
Check her Captain's blog tomorrow for a potential answer to your question;
http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Total days onboard:
Holland America Line: 1,548
Royal Caribbean International: 83
Princess Cruise Line: 31
Cunard Line: 15
Carnival Cruise Line: 10
Joined Dec 2004
I was on her and yes they lost all power.

Cheese sandwich on white bread in MDR
Alberta
Joined Feb 2007
..........and people wonder why I don't like the Statendam.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Elite on princess

cruzchic1 at hotmail dot com
Lower Mainland,BC canada
Joined Oct 2005
I don't any Master would dialogue on his/her public blog about such a sensitive and potentially serious issue as ''losing power''.
Capt. Albert is no different.
I read his blogs and ''all is well...weather is just fine...we're on time....etc.etc..'' and they were indeed on time today in Ketchikan., and in Juneau.
A group of regular ''watchers-observers'' here at the Pier in Vancouver has observed a consistent '' unconventionnal '' aft propulsion hardware behaviour each and every departure since May....some of it referred to here.
So, clearly, Statendam is ''nursing a weebit of a cold''......Drydock session January ....can't come soon enough.
She's kept her schedule almost perfectly all summer...so it is not ''that serious''....but losing all power for a couple of hours has to be ''worriesome'' ( to use a polite word....)
Cheers
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past waves & great memories: Island Princess ( x2), Dawn Princess, Regal Princess, Coral princess, X Summit ( 2 ), X Mercury ( x2 ) , X Century ( X 3 ), X Infinity, X Millenium ( x 3 ). NCL Star.HAL's Oosterdam, RCCL Mariner of the Seas. X Constellation .X Solstice

Claude G.

Alberta
Joined Feb 2007
The power problem sure seems to have been going on for a long time. The last time I sailed on the ship was Oct 2009 and it was having problems then. It has had a drydock since then.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Elite on princess

cruzchic1 at hotmail dot com
Joined Jul 2001
Thank you everyone for the information.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2012
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did the crew say what the problem was? Was there any compensation offered?

Also, I think I just validated my cruise related social media surveillance system! Can't believe how far in advance I found out about this!
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by CruiseList
In case anyone is interested, I did a write-up on how I found out about this.
Thank you for this information. What an interesting thing to do - I don't tweet and know pretty much nothing about it or what is possible. I have bookmarked your site and so hope you keep it up.

While I understand, from a business point of view, why such info is suppressed, it sure makes it difficult for anyone who makes decisions based on information to do so. I can't make a good decision if I don't have the facts and when I have to deal with the consequences of a "bad" decision, I come away with a negative opinion of the experience.

CC provides us with anecdotal information and I appreciate both the good and the bad reports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barbara
The kindest word is the unkind word unsaid.

Southwest Florida
Joined Jan 2002
[quote=CruiseList;35433482]Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did the crew say what the problem was? Was there any compensation offered?

<SNIP>quote]

I don't get your remark at all! Why in heavens name would compensation be offered for a two hour power outage?

Betty
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email_me

For Meet & Greet Info. Pls. put Cruise Critic in Subject line.. Betty
Cruises: '70 Hellenic "Orion" Greek Isles; '83 Norwegian Carib. "Southwind" East. Carib. ; '96 NCL "Dreamward" East. Carib; '98 HAL "Ryndam" South. Carib.; '99 NCL "Majesty" Panama Canal-Mexico; '01 HAL "Volendam" Trinidad/Martinique; '02 NCL "Dream" Trans-Atlantic MIA-ROM; '03 HAL "Maasdam" West. Carib.; '03 HAL "Amsterdam" South Amer. RIO-SCL; '04 HAL "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic BCN-FLL; '05 NCL "Crown" SCL-MIA via Canal; '06 HAL "Prinsendam" FLL-Amazon via Carib.; '06 HAL "Ryndam" Carib-Isla de Margarita; '07 Oceania "Regatta" Amazon via Carib. '08 HAL "Veendam"-Alaska; '08 HAL "Maasdam" Southern Carib.: '09 HAL "Statendam" RT FLL-SAN via Panama Canal; '10 HAL "Veendam" Bermuda '10 HAL "Noordam" B2B Carib.; '11 Oceania "Regatta" U.S. Coastal, Bermuda & Carib.; '12 HAL "Nieuw Amsterdam" B2B Carib.; '12 HAL "Noordam " B2B Carib.; '13 HAL "Prinsendam" South Amer. Antartica, & Amazon via Panama Canal & Carib.
Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by serendipity1499

I don't get your remark at all! Why in heavens name would compensation be offered for a two hour power outage?

Betty
It's the bit about the cheese sandwiches being served in the main dining room that I think deserves a bit of compensation.
Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2012
Thanks to bcd2010 and lorekauf for the kind words! I'll be more vigilant with my update schedule.

Statendam is cruising the Inside Passage today. Not sure I'll see much social media traffic from her. Unlike Carnival, I tend to only see tweets from HAL ships when they're in port.
Southwest Florida
Joined Jan 2002
It's the bit about the cheese sandwiches being served in the main dining room that I think deserves a bit of compensation.
So what if they only had cheese sandwiches, they didn't starve the Psgrs. Perhaps a glass of wine might have been offered with the sandwiches but compensation? That's absurd!

Betty
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email_me

For Meet & Greet Info. Pls. put Cruise Critic in Subject line.. Betty
Cruises: '70 Hellenic "Orion" Greek Isles; '83 Norwegian Carib. "Southwind" East. Carib. ; '96 NCL "Dreamward" East. Carib; '98 HAL "Ryndam" South. Carib.; '99 NCL "Majesty" Panama Canal-Mexico; '01 HAL "Volendam" Trinidad/Martinique; '02 NCL "Dream" Trans-Atlantic MIA-ROM; '03 HAL "Maasdam" West. Carib.; '03 HAL "Amsterdam" South Amer. RIO-SCL; '04 HAL "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic BCN-FLL; '05 NCL "Crown" SCL-MIA via Canal; '06 HAL "Prinsendam" FLL-Amazon via Carib.; '06 HAL "Ryndam" Carib-Isla de Margarita; '07 Oceania "Regatta" Amazon via Carib. '08 HAL "Veendam"-Alaska; '08 HAL "Maasdam" Southern Carib.: '09 HAL "Statendam" RT FLL-SAN via Panama Canal; '10 HAL "Veendam" Bermuda '10 HAL "Noordam" B2B Carib.; '11 Oceania "Regatta" U.S. Coastal, Bermuda & Carib.; '12 HAL "Nieuw Amsterdam" B2B Carib.; '12 HAL "Noordam " B2B Carib.; '13 HAL "Prinsendam" South Amer. Antartica, & Amazon via Panama Canal & Carib.
New Brunswick
Joined Jan 2009
In case anyone is interested, I did a write-up on how I found out about this.
very interesting website - looks like a lot of work - and a lot of good info. Thanks for sharing
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme
Click here for our Rotterdam Roll Call's spreadsheet for the March 30th, 2017 Passage to Spain & Western Europe
Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

Greater Vancouver
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by kazu
very interesting website - looks like a lot of work - and a lot of good info. Thanks for sharing
I too find the website interesting. Wish I had his computer smarts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America - 30
Royal Cruise Line - 3
Royal Viking - 1
Princess - 1
NCL - 1
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by Snoozeman
I was on her and yes they lost all power.

Cheese sandwich on white bread in MDR
Your cruise list shows you on an earlier cruise (Sept. 9). This was, based on another thread, followed by the land portion of a cruisetour; so you wouldn't have been on the 9/16 cruise. OP's post concerned the current Sept. 16-23 cruise.

Was there also a power outage on the Sept. 9 cruise? Or was the intercepted tweet not about the 9/16 cruise?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jemima
Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Jemima
Your cruise list shows you on an earlier cruise (Sept. 9). This was, based on another thread, followed by the land portion of a cruisetour; so you wouldn't have been on the 9/16 cruise. OP's post concerned the current Sept. 16-23 cruise.

Was there also a power outage on the Sept. 9 cruise? Or was the intercepted tweet not about the 9/16 cruise?
Great research Jemima and a good question. If I am correct Statendam will be back in Vancouver tomorrow. I've already set up my software to look for any tweets around the port there and will of course keep everyone apprised.

On a happier note, I did find some videos of the Statendam's crew from the late 60's and another from more recently. What a difference 40 years makes!!!

Originally posted by solocanadian
I too find the website interesting. Wish I had his computer smarts.
Originally posted by kazu
You both are entirely too kind! Thank you so much.