Is Progreso safe after the events last week??

brokenbusted

I would feel as safe there as I would anywhere in the U.S. I look at it this way, it's a shabby town that will want to make it big with the cruise lines, add that with the desire for $$$ and that equals keeping it safe.

Go, have a good time, and tell us about it when you get home.

I would as always, be thoughtful about crime when visiting another country. stay in groups and use caution. With that being said. Take advantage of the wonderful culture the port has to offer. Take a tour to Merida, or chitzen Itza.... both ship sponsored tours. If it really gets to dangerous, CCL will take that into concideration. Just a note, watch the news tonight to see how many shootings there were in the largest city near you. Crime is not avoidable. anywhere. jsut be careful and have fun.

I would as always, be thoughtful about crime when visiting another country.

On conquest, my roommate stayed 3 extra days in the french qtr by herself (after the cruise), it was her birthday on Monday. She is from the UK and she had her purse snatched with everything .. all her IDs, all her money, all her credit cards.. everything. Someone gave her money for a bus to Houston to the UK embassy who got her home. She said it was a nightmare.

I feel so bad for her.. and what she thinks of the U.S. now.

On conquest, my roommate stayed 3 extra days in the french qtr by herself (after the cruise), it was her birthday on Monday. She is from the UK and she had her purse snatched with everything .. all her IDs, all her money, all her credit cards.. everything. Someone gave her money for a bus to Houston to the UK embassy who got her home. She said it was a nightmare.

I feel so bad for her.. and what she thinks of the U.S. now.

That is really sad and hard to hear...just so hard to hear..sarah

Really want to go to New Orleans, have heard it is a higher tourist/crime theft place like this...when alone one really almost has to do a mini strap across body pack, purse or better yet money belt under your shirt like Rick Steves in Europe...not saying it can't happen to any of us..just alone and looking at everything, must be triple careful...sarah

I would feel as safe there as I would anywhere in the U.S. I look at it this way, it's a shabby town that will want to make it big with the cruise lines, add that with the desire for $$$ and that equals keeping it safe.

Go, have a good time, and tell us about it when you get home.

I am suprised at this comment. I'm not saying that everywhere in the US is safe. But you have absolutely no guarantee of jurisprudence in another country like we have. Crime will happen here and there but widespread violence and organized drug crime is much more prevalent in Mexico.

That being said, you should be safe in Progreso the port city. Not the border town.

Hey OP check your facts that is Neuvo Progresso:rolleyes:

To anyone else it doesnt matter what countrty the port is in be carefull and self aware

Hey jon get over yourself :rolleyes:. Other than mentioning a different state in Mexico, it says Progreso, Mexico and that Naval officers shot the man. I can see where the OP would be confused. Since it doesn't seem to reason that a land locked state in Mexico would have a naval garrison.

Its allot safer then the area around the Ga Tech campus in atlanta. Students geting robbed and mugged on a weekly basis.

I wonder though of the crime rate around many universities. I work at a hospital affiliated with the UW, and we get emails of criminal activity. For this school too, every week if not more often I see reports of muggings, strong arm robberies, people getting their phone they are talking on grabbed away from them.

That is really sad and hard to hear...just so hard to hear..sarah

Really want to go to New Orleans, have heard it is a higher tourist/crime theft place like this...when alone one really almost has to do a mini strap across body pack, purse or better yet money belt under your shirt like Rick Steves in Europe...not saying it can't happen to any of us..just alone and looking at everything, must be triple careful...sarah

I live in New Orleans. My best advise us to stay on populated streets and to just be aware. I was just in the French Quarter on Thursday.....the usual scam artists were there......the ones who want to bet you that they know where you bought your shoes. Just keep walking. Lol

I live in New Orleans. My best advise us to stay on populated streets and to just be aware. I was just in the French Quarter on Thursday.....the usual scam artists were there......the ones who want to bet you that they know where you bought your shoes. Just keep walking. Lol

Are they trying to engage you long enough to get closer & snatch your purse - or let down your guard & distract to pick your pocket? Curious as to what they do.

Probably both. It's never happened to me. If you are really interested in visiting, then come on. I've lived here my whole life, I still enjoy going to the French Quarter. You'll never find better food. People here are very friendly. There is crime everywhere. Just be aware and you'll be fine.

Probably both. It's never happened to me. If you are really interested in visiting, then come on. I've lived here my whole life, I still enjoy going to the French Quarter. You'll never find better food. People here are very friendly. There is crime everywhere. Just be aware and you'll be fine.

I've been to NO, but sadly spent no time there between flight and cruise. Back in my early days when I booked airfare through Carnival. Next time I will spend a few days for sure! And we have crime in Seattle too - I know I could easily be a crime victim here too if I wasn't careful.

thanks..good to know..Sarah

Are they trying to engage you long enough to get closer & snatch your purse - or let down your guard & distract to pick your pocket? Curious as to what they do.

The way it works is that they bet you a certain $ amount that they can tell you where you bought your shoes. Their answer is "a shoe store." If you refuse to pay up you are suddenly surrounded by their friends, and it goes downhill from there.

Archived