Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.

Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Propulsion issue on Symphony

Well as some of you have noticed, we are still in Montreal, some 12 hours after we were suppose to leave. 2 announcements indicate a "propulsion issue" on one side. Efforts to contact the manufacturer last night were frustrating as it was 2 AM (at the time of last announcement) in europe where the POD maker is. I assume we will not have any announcements this morning until a reasonable hour. And I also assume we will miss Quebec city. Keep watching for updates.

We are also watching the tropical storm approaching toward the end of our trip, depending on the final track. This trip could be quite memorable...

Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:31 AM
5,000+ Club

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler919 View Post
Well as some of you have noticed, we are still in Montreal, some 12 hours after we were suppose to leave. 2 announcements indicate a "propulsion issue" on one side. Efforts to contact the manufacturer last night were frustrating as it was 2 AM (at the time of last announcement) in europe where the POD maker is. I assume we will not have any announcements this morning until a reasonable hour. And I also assume we will miss Quebec city. Keep watching for updates.

We are also watching the tropical storm approaching toward the end of our trip, depending on the final track. This trip could be quite memorable...
Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear about this problem and hope all will get fixed sooner than later. At least you're on the ship and docked in Montreal currently.

Keep us posted and I hope for the best.

Nancy

Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:43 AM
5,000+ Club

Tyler, thank you for your rational description of the problem. I think you will have a real adventure, whether you wanted one or not. I'm sure there will be some disappointments but I suspect some opportunities as well, and you have a great crew watching over you.

Best of wishes, and please continue to keep us informed. I have a vested interest in the Symphony's New York arrival.

Roy

Currently enjoying Wind Star Transatlantic Lisbon-Tenerife-Barbados
Future cruises:

12/28/14 Ryndam W. Caribbean
2/23/15 Maasdam FTL to Rio
3/13/15 Grandeur OTS B2B Bahamas-Caribbean
5/4/15 Crystal Serenity TA>>>Prinsendam Kiel/Celtic Explorer
10/11/15 QM2 Transatlantic >>> Allure OTS Transatlantic
1/3/16 QM2 Transatlantic >>> QV Southampton to FTL
1/27/16 Crystal Symphony BA-Antarctica-Miami
8/16/16 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage

Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Latest update: Parts being flown in for the "electric interconnect between the POD and the generator that powers it". We will be in montreal until 5 PM, and passengers have another day here with shuttles provided. Back on board by 430 for sailaway.

My assumption (not asked yet) is that we will skip Quebec City.

Changes to itinerary not only don't bother me and my Dad (he's an old salt tug boater from WW2 and spent much of the rest of his life on the water) but we actually enjoy these little adventures. That said, I think we are seeing the last of PODs for this size ship.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler919 View Post
Latest update: Parts being flown in for the "electric interconnect between the POD and the generator that powers it". We will be in montreal until 5 PM, and passengers have another day here with shuttles provided. Back on board by 430 for sailaway.

My assumption (not asked yet) is that we will skip Quebec City.

Changes to itinerary not only don't bother me and my Dad (he's an old salt tug boater from WW2 and spent much of the rest of his life on the water) but we actually enjoy these little adventures. That said, I think we are seeing the last of PODs for this size ship.
Thank you for the update. Unfortunately, I just looked at your itinerary and can't find anything I'd want to skip. I hope that means that every day will be wonderful, including your extra day in Montreal.

Have a great cruise and take care of the Symphony.

Roy

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Reliable Ship

This is the first time in memory that Symphony has had a propulsion problem. I have personally logged over 200 days at sea on her and have never had a problem. Yes, she is an older fixed shaft design, but the Serenity with her Azipods has had far more problems with more delays and missed ports. Thankfully, it sounds like the problem is internal and can be promptly repaired without requiring a haulout. All ships have occasional problems, but you are in good hands with Crystal who will spare no expense to make things right. Thanks for the update and enjoy your extra day in Montreal!
Andrew

Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
50,000+ Club

Tyler, thank you for the posts. I applaud your outlook and that of your Dad's.

While infrequent, unfortunately an equipment failure can occur.

I can't remember which ship (want to say it was the Symphony) many years ago had some issue and guests had to be put up in Hotels while the problem was addressed.

PODs on new ships can be more of a challenge if the actual POD is compromised and in that case often the remedy is a dry dock. In those cases those cruise lines with ships experiencing those problems had to cancel not only the existing cruise but subsequent ones as well. I remember Celebrity had this issue when they rolled out the PODs on their Millennium and sister ships, and I want to say that Regent had this a couple of times a few years ago, but it could happen on any ship on any line.

I hope all goes well for you and everyone else on board the ship and as Andre said you are in excellent hands with Crystal.

Keith

Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Things to do when in Montreal unexpextedly

Sorry for passengers who wanted to be in Quebec City today. However, here are some suggestions to occupy your day in Montreal.

Go for a walk on Mont Royal. Wonderful views of the city. Stop on rue Laurier instead of coming back directly to the ship. Have lunch at Restaurant Lemeac and do a bit of shopping before coming back to the ship. If you want a lighter lunch, go for a sandwitch on a croissant at Patisserie de Gascogne.

Go to the Musée des Beaux Arts. An exhibit on the Impressionists. It is not the Louvre but still intersting. Have lunch at the restaurant du Muséé, or at Renoir (in keeping with the theme of the day) at hotel Sofitel at the corner of Peel and Sherbrooke. While you are in that area, a bit of shopping at Holt Renfrew (Sherbrooke corner de la Montagne) and Ogilvy's (De la Montagne and Ste-Catherine). Stroll back to the ship and stop at café le Cartet on McGill street, very close to the ship) for coffee and pastries before coming back to the ship.

Stroll in the Old Montreal, and visit Basilique Notre Dame and Chapelle du Bon Secours. Walk along St=Paul street. Take a horse drawn carriage tour. Stop for a sandwitch at Olive and Gourmando, on St-Paul. Or go to the new trendy Portugese Restaurant on McGill (around the 400s), called Helena.

For a bucolic experience, go for a walk at Ile Ste-Hélène and see the former US pavilliion of Expo 67 and the great Calder stabile. If you are lucky you will meet the family of foxes living there.

Go the new quartier des spectacles and have lunch in one of the restaurants that look like containers along rue Jeanne-Mance. Stop at the Musée d'Art Contemporain.

If for some reason you are still here tonight, try wonderful Italian food at Graziella (on McGill in the 100a). Very close to you.

Lots to do when stranded in Montreal. (All from a friend who is already at the office, and slightly envious of you)

MANDARINE BLEUE

Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Mandarine: We will be looking for an oyster bar...lots of variety and known for freshness...any clues as to where we can slurp a couple of dozen?

Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hope Symphony has overcome the technical difficulties and now can continue her sailing.

May all her passengers have a happy time cruising, and all her crews be well!

With love,

Reviews :
Norwegian Epic - Trans Atlantic, April 2014
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 2014
Celebrity Solstice - Australia/New Zealand, March 2013
Crystal Symphony - Grand Mediterranean, April 2012

Roll calls :
Mariner of the Seas - Spice of SE Asia, 6 February 2015
Crystal Symphony - Autumn Inspiration, 27 September 2015

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Captain's announcement revises us to a 6 PM departure, and calls the problem a "software issue". He did mention that 6 PM assumes the problem is fixed by then, and if not "other options will have to be explored".

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

He also confirmed that we will skip Quebec City

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Maestro. 3615 St-Laurent. 514 842-6447. Not sure if they are open for lunch.
There are others, but only open in the evening. In particular Joe Beef on Notre Dame 514 935-6504

Also at Queen Elisabeth Hotel, I forget the name of the restaurant, but they always have oysters platters on the menu (open at lunch time). Not a lot of variety, vut extra fresh. Call the hotel.

MANDARINE BLEUE

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Tyler, I'm sorry that you will be missing Quebec City, but, hopefully, your wonderful experience on Crystal will make make up for that. You and your father have a tremendous attitude, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise! It is such a nice change from the negativity posted by another guest on board on a thread he or she started.

Mandarins Bleue, you took the time to make excellent suggestions for another day in the beautiful city of Montreal.

To all who are on board my beloved Symphony, make the most of this experience and turn it into something positive.

Ricki

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am confused by posts above which speak of a "pod". Symphony uses direct shaft drive, not Azipod drive. There is no pod. If the issue is one of the shaft drives, either electrical, electrical generating or diesel power then repair can be significant. Nonetheless, Symphony can sail on one shaft propulsion much as Serenity did on one pod a few years ago.

Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye. More info is needed. In any event, Symphony does not have Azipod drives.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Imperial View Post
I am confused by posts above which speak of a "pod".
Symphony uses direct shaft drive, not Azipod drive. There is no pod. ... In any event, Symphony does not have Azipod drives.
Right. I was just about to post something similar when I saw this post.

Will be interested to learn details.

Bob

Last edited by NHBob; October 23rd, 2012 at 09:54 AM.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Imperial View Post
I am confused by posts above which speak of a "pod". Symphony uses direct shaft drive, not Azipod drive. There is no pod. If the issue is one of the shaft drives, either electrical, electrical generating or diesel power then repair can be significant. Nonetheless, Symphony can sail on one shaft propulsion much as Serenity did on one pod a few years ago.

Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye. More info is needed. In any event, Symphony does not have Azipod drives.
I agree. PODs are not on the Symphony but just figure Tyler met something to do with the Symphony propulsion system.

In my post I only referred to POD technology just as an example to say that old technology while less efficient can sometimes be easier to replace.

The good news is whatever it is the repair can be made today and fortunate that the Symphony is in Montreal making it easier to get a part shipped to that port faster than a port served by a much smaller airport.

Keith

Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry for my error, I think of electrically run shafts not connected to a engine run transmission as a POD, but that is too simplistic, and confusing for me to create that generic. Indeed they are not steerable PODs in that sense of Serenity and Regent. Regardless, the latest (and this is hall hearsay) is that progress has been made.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
50,000+ Club

Tyler, great news. Don't worry about the terminology.

In the end, whatever it is, it is, and hopefully you will be on your way later today.

Keith

Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hope that this will be an easily fixable issue and won't affect future cruises. There are certainly worse places to be "stuck" than a dock at Montreal! I think I'd much rather have to "deal" with this problem than missing ports on a transAtlantic because the ship can't skirt a major storm.

Patty