Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Cayman Islands

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 25th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Best Price Negotiated in Grand Cayman for Stingray City or Taxi tour?

HI everyone,

I was wondering ... for those of you who got off the boat in Grand Cayman and "negotiated" a trip to Stingray City or a Taxi Tour around the island (vs pre-arranging) what is the best price you have gotten?

Thinking of winging it this time...
Carnival Legend, July 2014; Ruby Princess, March 2014; Caribbean Princess, March 2013; HAL Ryndham, Dec 2012; Carnival Ecstasy, May 2012, Caribbean Princess, March 2011; Crown Princess Thanksgiving 2010; Emerald Princess, Easter 2010; Disney Magic, Thanksgiving 2009; Disney Magic, June 2009; Costa Concordia (BEFORE she sank!) Thanksgiving 2008; Enchantment of the Seas, March 2008; Costa Magica, March 2007; Costa Magica, December 2006; Mariner of the Seas, June 2006; Mariner of the Seas, March 2006; Grandeur of the Seas, Christmas 2005; Mariner of the Seas, March 2005; Carnival Fascination, October 2004; Disney Wonder, May 2003

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgsmom View Post
HI everyone,

I was wondering ... for those of you who got off the boat in Grand Cayman and "negotiated" a trip to Stingray City or a Taxi Tour around the island (vs pre-arranging) what is the best price you have gotten?

Thinking of winging it this time...
I would be interested in this also.. I'm going to try and book at the dock on December 24 and I hope it will not be too bad with 3 ships in port.

NCL Jade March 2014 - Western Mediterranean
RCI Liberty of the seas March 2013 - Caribbean
MSC Poesia December 2012 - Caribbean
NCL Jade February 2011 - Spain and Canary
RCI Liberty of the Seas October 2010 - Bahamas
NCL Pearl September 2010 - Bahamas
CCL Imagination September 2009 - Caribbean
CCL Freedom December 2008 - Caribbean
NCL Sky September 2008 - Bahamas
RCI Enchantment December 2007 - Caribbean
RCI Majesty September 2007 - Caribbean
NCL Pearl December 2006 - Bahamas
CCL Elation August 2006 - Caribbean
RCI Majesty October 2005 - Caribbean
Disney Wonder September 2004 - Caribbean
Imperial Majesty April 1999 - Caribbean
HAL Rotterdam August 1992 - Alaska

Old November 4th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have always negotiated at the pier, but have never noticed boards pre-listing prices, so I would be interested in knowing if negotiations would work too! Anyone??
CCL - VALOR - Feb 2005 (Western Carib.)
CCL - VICTORY- Jan 2006 (Western Carib.)
DIAMOND PRINCESS -Sept 2006 (Alaska - Fairbanks, Denali, Inner Passage)
CCL- DESTINY - Dec 2009 (Western Carib.)
CCL- SPLENDOR - Feb 2010 (Mexican Riviera)
CCL - MIRACLE - Feb 2011 (Curacao, Aruba, Grand Turk, La Romana)
RCI - ADVENTURE of the SEAS - Dec 2011 (Barbados)
CCL - BREEZE - Oct 2012 (Med:Barcelona to Venice)
CCL - GLORY - Feb 2013 (Belize, Coz, Roatan, G. Cayman)
CCL - GLORY - June 2013 (Canada)
NCL - EPIC - Dec 2013 (Eastern Caribbean)
CCL - VICTORY - Dec 2013 (Jamaica, G. Cayman)
RCI - JEWEL of the SEAS - Jan 2015 (San Juan,Martinique,Grenada, St Lucia, Antigua)
CCL - VALOR - Jan 2015 (Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Thomas, St Maarten)
RCI - ALLURE of the SEAS - Feb 2016 (Falmouth, Labadee, Cozumel)

Old November 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Bumping...

So, I know I can pre-book Stingray City for about $45pp... what do people pay at the dock to "fill the boat?" Just trying to gauge what I should negotiate. Thanks!
Carnival Legend, July 2014; Ruby Princess, March 2014; Caribbean Princess, March 2013; HAL Ryndham, Dec 2012; Carnival Ecstasy, May 2012, Caribbean Princess, March 2011; Crown Princess Thanksgiving 2010; Emerald Princess, Easter 2010; Disney Magic, Thanksgiving 2009; Disney Magic, June 2009; Costa Concordia (BEFORE she sank!) Thanksgiving 2008; Enchantment of the Seas, March 2008; Costa Magica, March 2007; Costa Magica, December 2006; Mariner of the Seas, June 2006; Mariner of the Seas, March 2006; Grandeur of the Seas, Christmas 2005; Mariner of the Seas, March 2005; Carnival Fascination, October 2004; Disney Wonder, May 2003

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bumping -- what have folks paid at the pier?

trying to determine if we should book ahead or not!

Old December 27th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgsmom View Post
trying to determine if we should book ahead or not!
http://www.dexters-fantaseatours.com/

We booked with that site for $40 pp, and it's a catamaran with a stingray city stop and 2 snorkel stops. He has good tripadvisor reviews. We will be there in 2 weeks, so I will let you know how it goes! I was told my another company (Captain Marvin's) that their longer tour was booked for that day.

Old December 28th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Negotiation is not the norm in Cayman for anything other than buying a car or real estate.

Old December 28th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

We asked a few places on the pier and ended up with "local stingray tours" for $30 per person for stingrays and one snorkel stop. He first said $35 and we started to walk away and he gave it to us for $30. Took us in a bus to boat in a marina and back.

NCL Jade March 2014 - Western Mediterranean
RCI Liberty of the seas March 2013 - Caribbean
MSC Poesia December 2012 - Caribbean
NCL Jade February 2011 - Spain and Canary
RCI Liberty of the Seas October 2010 - Bahamas
NCL Pearl September 2010 - Bahamas
CCL Imagination September 2009 - Caribbean
CCL Freedom December 2008 - Caribbean
NCL Sky September 2008 - Bahamas
RCI Enchantment December 2007 - Caribbean
RCI Majesty September 2007 - Caribbean
NCL Pearl December 2006 - Bahamas
CCL Elation August 2006 - Caribbean
RCI Majesty October 2005 - Caribbean
Disney Wonder September 2004 - Caribbean
Imperial Majesty April 1999 - Caribbean
HAL Rotterdam August 1992 - Alaska

Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACexplore View Post

We booked with that site for $40 pp, and it's a catamaran with a stingray city stop and 2 snorkel stops. He has good tripadvisor reviews. We will be there in 2 weeks, so I will let you know how it goes! I was told my another company (Captain Marvin's) that their longer tour was booked for that day.
Can't wait to hear how your trip went... counting down the days until my own GC visit!

RCCL Navigator of the Seas -- 03/30/13
Dawn Princess -- 10/24/04
Celebrity Horizon -- Jan 2003
HAL Nieuw Amsterdaam -- Jan 1987
Carnival Festival -- April 1982

Old January 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation Grand Caymsn - Stingray City Tour from the Pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkencruzers View Post
We asked a few places on the pier and ended up with "local stingray tours" for $30 per person for stingrays and one snorkel stop. He first said $35 and we started to walk away and he gave it to us for $30. Took us in a bus to boat in a marina and back.
Similar experience here!

Grand Cayman boasts many exciting tourist attractions
(i.e. from the stark volcanic landscape of the area known as ‘Hell’,
to the fantastic Turtle Farm where visitors can hold and pet the animals).

Well, September 2012 was NOT our first time in Grand Cayman.

Last time, we did the "Island Tour" and went to "Hell" and then back... to the Turtle Farm!
Seen the pretty ginger-bread houses and tasted a large variety of Rum cakes!

Now it was time for a visit to the world renowned STINGRAY CITY!

You can easily book this type of excursion online or you can simply pick-up one at the Pier
(paid $25.00 USD/pp for the 3 hours adventure)!

Stingray City tour(s) typically begin at the Pier with a fifteen (15) minutes VAN ride to the Yacht Club
where a boat awaits you for the exciting ride to the Stingray City!

A quick summary of what was covered by our Stingray City excursion:

1). Reasonable cost: $25.00 USD/pp paid up-front, directly at the Pier in Grand Cayman/ George Town.

2). The Stingray City tour lasted approximately 3 hours
(we spent about 45 minutes playing with the stingrays at Stingray City and then another 45 minutes snorkeling at the reef).

Had a fantastic time and the weather couldn't be more beautiful!

3). Complimentary refreshments were included and were available for the entire duration of the boat ride
(i.e. iced water, fruit punch, sodas).

Drinks came in handy as typically it's hot-hot-hot and one has to hydrate often!

4). The atmosphere aboard the boat was informal and very much laid back.

One can move around as (s)he wishes (staying inside or outside); even dancing is encouraged!

5). The Boat Captain was knowledgeable, funny and friendly.

He lead pretty much by example and took care of everything and everyone, making this experience a memorable one!

*** Stingray City is a protected marine environment, and
everyone should be dedicated to preserving its natural beauty.

Old January 14th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brillohead View Post
Can't wait to hear how your trip went... counting down the days until my own GC visit!
We had an awesome time with Dexter and his mate, Simon. Dexter and his sign were easy to find at the docks and we were on our way very quickly. Dexter's catamaran is fairly small, but we only had 16 people in our group so everyone had space to spread out and lay out in the sun. We saw some other boats where it didn't even look like everyone had a seat. We motored out against the wind and sailed back. The water was pretty choppy on the day we went. I was a little intimidated, even though I have snorkeled a lot and am pretty fearless when it comes to water. We only made one snorkel stop and the stingray city stop, but the snorkeling was beautiful and the stingrays were friendly, although I don't think there are as many out there as there were 10 years ago. Dexter and Simon made sure everyone had the chance to feed, pet, and even hold a stingray (if you wanted to). Dexter provided squid for the stingrays and (non-alcoholic) drinks for the humans at no extra charge. We were out on the water 3-3.5 hours. At $40 pp, it was one of the best values of our cruise.

Old January 14th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We had an awesome time with Dexter and his mate, Simon. Dexter and his sign were easy to find at the docks and we were on our way very quickly. Dexter's catamaran is fairly small, but we only had 16 people in our group so everyone had space to spread out and lay out in the sun. We saw some other boats where it didn't even look like everyone had a seat. We motored out against the wind and sailed back. The water was pretty choppy on the day we went. I was a little intimidated, even though I have snorkeled a lot and am pretty fearless when it comes to water. We only made one snorkel stop and the stingray city stop, but the snorkeling was beautiful and the stingrays were friendly, although I don't think there are as many out there as there were 10 years ago. Dexter and Simon made sure everyone had the chance to feed, pet, and even hold a stingray (if you wanted to). Dexter provided squid for the stingrays and (non-alcoholic) drinks for the humans at no extra charge. We were out on the water 3-3.5 hours. At $40 pp, it was one of the best values of our cruise.
We just had a winter cold front blow in yesterday, and I'm jonesing for the Caribbean in the worst way right now!!!!

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in Grand Cayman on Jan 3rd with 5 ships in port. We booked Stingray City and 1 snorkel stop at the dock for $25 pp thru "local stingray tours". The sign they were holding actually said $45, but they were offering $25. I would assume the price goes up and down depending on how many ships are in port.

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyCooks View Post
We were in Grand Cayman on Jan 3rd with 5 ships in port. We booked Stingray City and 1 snorkel stop at the dock for $25 pp thru "local stingray tours". The sign they were holding actually said $45, but they were offering $25. I would assume the price goes up and down depending on how many ships are in port.
Also good news for me -- our ship will be the only one in port that day, so there will be much less demand while I'm there!

Old January 16th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Antalya, Turkey ( originally from Calgary, Canada )

Quote:
Hi GabbyCooks,

thanks for the tips..at what time did this sting ray tour leave and return to the port ? also since you have just returned and also did the port of call in jamaica..did they have any similar tours available at the port when you arrived ?? rather than booking ahead..any tips for jamaica ?
Carnival Destiny Jan 26th 2013 ( 5 days Western Caribbean - jamaica and grand cayman

Old January 17th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by canmom1966 View Post
Hi GabbyCooks,

thanks for the tips..at what time did this sting ray tour leave and return to the port ? also since you have just returned and also did the port of call in jamaica..did they have any similar tours available at the port when you arrived ?? rather than booking ahead..any tips for jamaica ?
I don't remember exact times (island times, lol!) but we got off the ship right around 8:30. I want to say they told us to meet back at 9:30 am for the tour. We returned between 1:00-2:00 PM. Sorry I don't have more info, I just seriously never looked at a watch. I know it took longer than we had expected, but we didn't mind at all. It was an amazing day! We were going to have them drop of us at 7 mile beach afterwards, but decided to just go back to the ship.

Oh waittt.... I just looked at the time on my camera. I took a picture of us waiting for the bus at 9:20 am and a picture on the tender back to the ship at 1:30 pm, so hopefully that gives you an idea.

I did not personally see anything like this in Jamaica, but we had arranged our tour in advance, so I wasn't looking. We did the all-inclusive resort Sunset Jamaica Grande and I can definitely recommend that. It was amazing! We booked thru jamaica for a day . com and it was $60 per adult, $40 per child. Included pools, beaches, drinks (alcholic or non), lunch buffet, and grill food. It was wonderful!

Old January 18th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Antalya, Turkey ( originally from Calgary, Canada )

Quote:
I don't remember exact times (island times, lol!) but we got off the ship right around 8:30. I want to say they told us to meet back at 9:30 am for the tour. We returned between 1:00-2:00 PM. Sorry I don't have more info, I just seriously never looked at a watch. I know it took longer than we had expected, but we didn't mind at all. It was an amazing day! We were going to have them drop of us at 7 mile beach afterwards, but decided to just go back to the ship.

Oh waittt.... I just looked at the time on my camera. I took a picture of us waiting for the bus at 9:20 am and a picture on the tender back to the ship at 1:30 pm, so hopefully that gives you an idea.

I did not personally see anything like this in Jamaica, but we had arranged our tour in advance, so I wasn't looking. We did the all-inclusive resort Sunset Jamaica Grande and I can definitely recommend that. It was amazing! We booked thru jamaica for a day . com and it was $60 per adult, $40 per child. Included pools, beaches, drinks (alcholic or non), lunch buffet, and grill food. It was wonderful!
thanks for the info..was the sting ray boat packed with lots of people or just an average amount ?
Carnival Destiny Jan 26th 2013 ( 5 days Western Caribbean - jamaica and grand cayman

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'd guess probably around 30 people. We had 9 in our group alone, then there was another group of like 10 people and some couples. It was not crowded at all.

Old January 20th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

We went with Dexter Oct 2012 and would book again with him in an heartbeat

sailed:
Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 2011
Carnival Splendor - Mex Riviera - Oct 2010
Carnival Spirit - Glacier Bay - Sept 2008
Carnival Pride - Mex Riviera - Sept/Oct 2007
RCCL Song of Norway - Mex Riviera - 1995
Fair Princess - Mex Riviera - 10 day - 1994
Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 1992

Old January 20th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am sad. This is always something I wanted to do. The first time, the Freedom didn't get to Grand Caymen because of rough seas. The second attempt was on the Disney Magic. We did get to GC but therere were no trips to Stingray City because of rough seas (again!).

I hope you are more successful!!
Adventure of the Seas 7 night Southern Caribbean from San Juan 2/2013
Disney Magic 7 night Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral 3/2012
Liberty of the Seas 8 night Eastern Caribbean from Miami 2/2011
Freedom of the Seas 7 night Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral 2/2010
Grandeur of the Seas 5 night Bermuda from Baltimore 7/2009
Mariner of the Seas 7 night Mexican Riviera from San Pedro, CA 3/2009
Explorer of the Seas 9 night Canada/New England from Cape Liberty, NJ 7/2008
Nordic Empress 4 night Nassau/Freeport from Miami 11/1993