The MSC cruise website is horrible

smokey haze

I am searching for our next Christmas cruise & even though I haven't been on my Monsters of Rock cruise yet I decided to do some pricing with MSC and possibly do them instead of the same ole cruise I do with Carnival.

I hate their site so much that I refuse to book with them even if it would be cheaper. Every minute or so a pop up comes up asking you to join their mailing list. If I didn't want to join it the first time it popped up why do they think 10 times later would have me eagerly signing up for it now?

I'm hoping that someone from their cruise line reads this site & see how horrible it is for someone who was 80% ready to go with them but there is no way I will go back over there ever again.

Edited by smokey haze
misspelled a word

I am searching for our next Christmas cruise & even though I haven't been on my Monsters of Rock cruise yet I decided to do some pricing with MSC and possibly do them instead of the same ole cruise I do with Carnival.

I hate their site so much that I refuse to book with them even if it would be cheaper. Every minute or so a pop up comes up asking you to join their mailing list. If I didn't want to join it the first time it popped up why do they think 10 times later would have me eagerly signing up for it now?

I'm hoping that someone from their cruise line reads this site & see how horrible it is for someone who was 80% ready to go with them but there is no way I will go back over there ever again.

God Bless America!

Although I did not like MSC's website and also hated the pop-ups, I'm not going to "cut off my nose to spite my face" as my grandmother used to say, and not reserve just due to the website. If I really wanted that itinerary and that cruise date, I would call to talk to someone anyway. I realize it is frustrating when cruise shopping, but some of the TA sites are easier to navigate and can give info on itineraries and prices.

And, IMHO, the websites for Princess and Celebrity are just as equally frustrating to me.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Although I did not like MSC's website and also hated the pop-ups, I'm not going to "cut off my nose to spite my face" as my grandmother used to say, and not reserve just due to the website. If I really wanted that itinerary and that cruise date, I would call to talk to someone anyway. I realize it is frustrating when cruise shopping, but some of the TA sites are easier to navigate and can give info on itineraries and prices.

And, IMHO, the websites for Princess and Celebrity are just as equally frustrating to me.

I live off of exit 100 on 81 north so that puts me at 3 different ports, all within driving distance, to choose from with plenty of cruises & cruise lines. I hate flying anyhow so I will just stick with Carnival or RCL since they take the time to make their site user friendly. I like the eciteement of doing my own bookings so I never go through a TA.

Itinaries really don't mean a thing to me, I just like being on the seas.

That's the great thing about having the freedom to choose.

I'm just hoping the MSC people see this and maybe do something about those pesty pop ups. I can't be the only one who got that disgusted with them & closed my window.

What is more irritating is that even when you finally give in and sign up to the MSC mailings 1) the pop ups still appear and 2) in 6 months and dozens of sign-ups no email has ever arrived from MSC! Now that is irritating.

It's the same in the UK, although you only get the pop up once and it doesn't appear again after you close it. If you doming up (have done several times because I'd likemto see the latest promos) they don't send you anything. So bitnof a pointless pop up really.

That pop up is very annoying! I had signed up previously. But when I went to their site to do check in in continually kept popping up! Very irritating when it took twice as long to complete the information needed for check in than it should have. AND I already signed up! Hopefully, this can be fixed soon....

It is horrible, and it doesn't get any better after you book.

Italians are not known for their organizational skills, It's a major complaint about MSC. The CEO's email address is regularly offered on here to get your issues resolved though, so you can take that as a plus or minus.

Me, I take it as a minus.

Bookings, excursions, drink packages, questions, all these things aren't handled well by MSC online.

Don't think you should write them off if you saw something you liked because of it, just know it won't be the same as you are used to, and MSC isn't exclusive with a bad website.

Ok MSC make up your mind this is what I got on your web site after booked excursion

Your shopping cart contains the items you have selected so far.

Please remember that you can modify or cancel the items in this cart up to 4 days before departure.

After this deadline and once onboard, tours and special services change request will not be accepted, while any cancellation will be subject to up to 100% penalty.

Your onboard account will be debited at the time of embarkation.

*Please note child’s rate apply to ages 2-13 for all cruises.

That what I got on my email as a conformation

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for booking your excursions and special services online with MSC Cruises. Below you will find a summary of the items selected. Please remember that you can add or remove items in your cart up to nine (9) days before departure. For example if your departure date is April 18th, you can add/remove items in your shopping cart until April 9th. After this deadline and once onboard, change requests will not be accepted neither for tours, nor for special services and any cancellation will be subject to a cancellation fee.

So 4 days ot 9 days? And yes, stop with pop-ups):rolleyes:

Looks like they don't have their business together at all. I don't think I would do farther business with them because they just seem too sloppy. If it wasn't for the Monsters of Rock theme cruise I would have never chose them on my own.

Good morning Cruise Critic friends,

We do appreciate your input and monitor Cruise Critic closely. Your comments have been passed along to see what we can do to better improve our website and online support.

Recently our policy has changed regarding booking excursions and special services online. Originally you must have this completed and any changes or cancellations must be done 9 days prior to sailing; however, it has just changed to 4 days now. This is to allow guests to make any adjustments and become more guest friendly.

Again we appreciate your input and will continue to improve our website and online support.

Sincerely,

MSC Cruises USA

Looks like they don't have their business together at all. I don't think I would do farther business with them because they just seem too sloppy. If it wasn't for the Monsters of Rock theme cruise I would have never chose them on my own.

No need to go that far:p. Life is too short to pay attention for small things like that. Good part of it they do listen and fix mistakes.

Good morning Cruise Critic friends,

We do appreciate your input and monitor Cruise Critic closely. Your comments have been passed along to see what we can do to better improve our website and online support.

Recently our policy has changed regarding booking excursions and special services online. Originally you must have this completed and any changes or cancellations must be done 9 days prior to sailing; however, it has just changed to 4 days now. This is to allow guests to make any adjustments and become more guest friendly.

Again we appreciate your input and will continue to improve our website and online support.

Sincerely,

MSC Cruises USA

Thank you so much for commenting on this. I really do hope you'll try to make the needed improvements that will, in the long run, improve your business.

I live in Pennslyvania but have to fly to Florida for this cruise. I really don't like to fly anymore since all the security measures were put into action because of 9-11, but I can't rule out ever flying for a cruise again.

The ship's pictures that I have seen look wonderful and I'm hoping this cruise will make up for some minor glitches your website has.

Hi Smokey, I just noticed that you mentioned Monsters of Rock in your complaint of MSC. I have booked 2 Monsters of Rock cruises, 2012 and 2013 and I have never gone thru MSC directly at all. These theme cruises are coordinated by the "Promotor". In this case, Larry Morand.

If you "Google" Monsters of Rock 2013- cruise you will get dozens of referrences and see how to book, select your cabin, sign up for the drink packages and get all the information about the pre-cruise party on Friday night and evan a fan-driven party on Thursday night. The reps at the promotors office have been excellent, they'll answer any questions you have. I see your frustation but think it's maybe displaced because MSC itself does not coordinate the theme cruises. (that I know of).

We have a good Roll Call started down below so you can meet those that are going on the cruise before we sail. I'll answer any general questions about the cruise that I can for you, you will have a ball. Take a look and sign up! Hope this helps, Cheers!

Oh I know our cruise is booked through a 3rd party but as someone who is getting into taking cruises I decided to check out their cruises thinking I may give them a try on a non-themed cruise.

I'll check out the roll call if I can get my hubby to go along with it. He's a loner so it's hard to get him into roll calls and stuff like that.

• 1 month later...

Back to website issues....

When I created my MSC account ('My MSC Area') I expected to see my recent (online and direct) booking there. It was not even though I had used all the exact same details. There was no option to add a missing booking. I emailed MSC Direct and then 'My MSC Dashboard' appeared on the page with said booking listed. Fine problem resolved or so I thought.

Upon my return from my first MSC cruise, I requested my MSC Club no. because I was eager to book a second and wanted to apply the 5% discount. I supplied my previous booking no. and personal details. In reply, I was told that I should have received my card a couple of months ago and asked which of the two dates of birth on their system was correct? I was astonished that while close, neither were! I logged into My MSC Area to make sure I hadn't entered something silly by mistake - it was correct there. I replied with my date of birth and explained that I couldn't have received my card because I had just returned from my first cruise.

This could not have been a case of mistaken identity because my surname is very rare, they had my first two names correct, my unique booking number and two dates of birth numerically quite close to my own.

I tried to make the new booking online to be told that the MSC Club no. just supplied to be was not recognised. Argh!

I completed the booking by email and telephone, received the two email confirmations - payment of deposit and the booking itself with all details correct. I logged into My MSC Area - no booking, no 'My Dashboard'. Argh!!!

I got in touch with MSC Direct again and after an exchange was asked for my login details. I supplied my username. Then, as there was no record of it on their system, I was asked for my password!

The answer came back from their IT people that the booking would not appear as I had used a travel agent!!!! No I explained, I had made it direct with MSC.

That was days ago and I have heard nothing since and , no, 'My Dashboard' and new booking have still not appeared.

It is not just the MSC website that is horrible, it appears to be their entire IT system. Someone in a little back office somewhere is capable of processing a payment and issuing a booking confirmation but to try to get their website to reflect this and have a fraction of the functionality it claims to have, e.g. booking extras, passing on information I supply via the web to other parts of their system, well that is apparently an area where MSC do not wish to compete.

Sorry to be so long-winded but I find it unbelievable that such a large wealthy organisation can't find the resources to make a website work with the most basic functionality. Outsource, outsource, outsource!

Edited by Skipper Tim