Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Member Cruise Reviews > Cruise Reviews of the Week

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Reviews of the Week

Every week we'll choose member cruise reviews to feature and if we choose yours, we will send you some cool Cruise Critic logo stuff!

Share Your Cruise Stories -- Click Here To Write A Review and maybe you'll win!

Old November 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default Reviews of the Week by CRUISEBOY305, CTCruisers, DGJax, CenTexKev & TonkAngel!

Every Thursday, we'll randomly select five cruise reviews to feature here! Plus, we'll send each member a Cruise Critic logo item. This week: Cruise Critic Baseball Hat-- we hope they enjoy it!

Jewel of the Seas Canada / New England on a Jewel. by CRUISEBOY305
This was my first time doing a Canada / New England cruise. I have cruised with Royal Caribbean before. Currently a Platinum member about to become an Emerald member. I've also sailed with Carnival, Celebrity and NCL but Royal Caribbean has always been my brand of choice. I'm a solo traveler and I like it that way. Form Miami, Florida. This time around my friend Rob (everyone at Royal Caribbean knows him as Scooter) and his mother coincidently were on the same sailing as me and doing the reposition cruise afterwards (I'm not jealous). So we hung out a few times throughout the cruise. We had a great time. Spent about 2 days in Boston before cruise. Stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on Treamont Street. I had stayed at this hotel in the past that's why I choose it. It's a nice hotel, close to the Common and Freedom Trail. The day before cruise I did a Fall Foliage tour of Mass and New Hampshire that I booked on my own. Continue reading... Canada / New England on a Jewel.

Carnival Valor 10/21/12 6-day Valor Cruise by CTCruisers
We sailed on the Carnival Valor leaving on October 21st, 2012 out of Miami, Florida as a 6-day cruise to the western Caribbean. The cruise left Miami with planned stops at Key West, Montego Bay, and Grand Cayman before returning to Miami. It was our 5th Carnival cruise (19th overall). We have sailed on NCL 13 times and Royal Caribbean once. This was our first cruise where the weather forced an itinerary change. Due to tropical storm Sandy, our ports of call of Grand Cayman and Montego Bay were changed to Costa Maya and Cozumel in Mexico. We had booked this cruise because of its itinerary and price. I had always wanted to visit Key West and this ship had a scheduled full day stop there. The Valor is a sister ship of the Conquest which we had sailed on during its inaugural year in 2003, so we would be familiar with the layout of the ship. Continue reading... 10/21/12 6-day Valor Cruise

Celebrity Solstice What a great vacation, but not the best cruise line! by DGJax
-Let me first start off by saying that I have cruised extensively with Royal Caribbean and Carnival in the past, and this was my first time sailing with Celebrity. I had my Royal Caribbean credits transferred to Celebrity, though, so I am an "elite" member of their Captain's Club program. -We started our vacation off by flying into Barcelona 2 days ahead of our sail date. (For new cruisers, if you are leaving from a port that is not near your home, it is most advisable to arrive at least 1 day ahead of time to give you a cushion against flight delays/cancellations and other travel mishaps.) Check in at the Barcelona port was an absolute breeze, except that the seapass card for a last minute addition (well, 3 days prior to sailing) to our stateroom was not ready. No big deal, though. We boarded the ship and were greeted with complimentary champagne and mimosas. Nice touch. The ship itself is very nice. It is well decorated and has a nice layout. The public areas are beautiful, for the most part - save an awkwardly decorated & enhanced foyer that you must pass through any time you want to go to the specialty restaurants or the Concierge lounge. (It is a room about 5x5' and has black walls with flowers on the vine painted on them, and ants are painted on the floor - all with 'outside' noises being piped in. The sky is painted on the ceiling and there's a large vase on a lighted pedestal. It's very strange, and the posted explanation doesn't clear it up much.) There is even a hot glass blowing studio on board, where you can watch glass blowers at work creating beautiful pieces of art. They cannot sell their work, but they do offer a charity auction at the end of the cruise featuring a few pieces made during the sailing. Continue reading... What a great vacation, but not the best cruise line!

Costa Classica Need good Internet? Don't choose Costa! by CenTexKev
It is nice to cruise on a medium size ship that "only" accommodates about 1,600 passengers instead of the 3,500+ on the new mega ships. We were looking forward to this cruise and the ports. We embarked at Trieste (near Venice) and took a 7 day cruise of the Adriatic sea. The Classica is a nice ship with a relatively convenient layout. The rooms were very spacious compared to many of the cruise ships that I have been on. Unfortunately, the electrical outlets did not work in our cabin and it took some time to get them turned on. The shower had horrible pressure and was more of drizzle than a shower. The bed was comfortable and our room steward was efficient. I was not impressed with the food, even in the main dining room. I was expecting an Italian ship to have great pasta dishes but they were all rather ordinary and none of them were cooked al dente. Fortunately, none of the food was bad and I would give all of the food quality a solid 3 rating. The main dining room service was excellent but slow. Should it really take 2 hours to eat dinner when most of the dishes are precooked? If you want to eat a quick dinner you are out of luck because the self-service buffet is closed during the two main dinner sessions. Apparently on Costa, the fancy midnight buffet is a casualty of the weak economy. There is no midnight buffet, just a few little snack areas that are set-up in or near the public areas. The little pizzeria on the ship was therefore swamped with late night snackers and it took 40 minutes to get a pizza. Continue reading... Need good Internet? Don't choose Costa!

Norwegian Sun The SUN: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly! 10/14-10/24 by TonkAngel
As I type this review, we are driving home from Miami, post-cruise. We took a 10 day cruise to the southern Caribbean leaving from Miami and traveling to St. Thomas, Domimica, Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Maarten on the NCL Sun. This is our second cruise with NCL; our first was on the Star last year. THE GOOD: Some of the same cruise staff were on this ship! Jamie, the cruise director from the Star and her staff Beantown Brian and Sinful Sin were all there! They remembered us (because we had won the free cruise in BINGO a year ago) and we enjoyed seeing them and chatting with them throughout the cruise. They are fantastic, fun and really made that cruise fun!!!! BONUS: Sol Play, the most awesome band from the Star and based in Atlanta, Georgia was there too!!!! Our inside cabin was HUGE. No kidding. We were both shocked at the amount of space we had as well as storage space. Last year, we had a balcony room and we both felt this room was bigger than the balcony room. We had a full length closet, two full length floor to ceiling closets with shelves, a small dresser and another small cupboard which had multiple shelves plus the safe. That was NICE! Last year, every time we opened the sliding door, the room took forever to cool back down. This year, the inside state room stayed very cool the entire cruise. Continue reading... The SUN: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly! 10/14-10/24

Why not share your own cruise stories by writing and submitting your review! Your could be featured, and *you* could be wearing some logo stuff on your next cruise!

Write a Cruise Review

Last edited by Admin; November 1st, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Ad Sponsored By