Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old November 6th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Epic solo traveler Studio questions

Have always cruised with a companion or groupbut am considering solo on the Epic in January or February. Although I'll miss my balcony the studios seem to be the way to gofor single cruisers. Any info from cruisers who have used the studios and studio lounge would be appreciated
NCL Pearl 2010 Alaska
RCCL Jewel Of the Seas 2008
NCL Majesty 2007
NCL Pride of America 2006
NCL Majesty 2005
Galaxy 2003
Norwegian Sun 2002
Sensation 2001
SeaBreeze 2000
Norwegain Sea 1999
Enchantment 1998
Horizon 1997
Fascination 1997
Sovereign 1996
Holiday 1995
Norway 1994
Seaward 1993
Mardis Gras 1991

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

For lots of sailings I found the studios being more expensive than inside cabins booked for one person.

The cabin itself is fine and well layed out but after cruised twice on the Epic in a studio cabin my decision for the next cruises is solely the price combared to an inside.

I am not a huge fan of the living room as well. If you are a coffee drinker the coffee machine might be a plus for you. Apart from that I never found it to be a great place to stay. Neither people nor ocean watching possible.

Cruise and Vacation Pictures
January 2014 - Norwegian Getaway - Transatlantic
October 2013 - Liberty of the Seas - Transatlantic
April 2013 - Norwegian Breakaway - Transatlantic
April 2013 - Norwegian Breakaway - 1 nighter
December 2012 - Norwegian Jade - Eastern Mediterranean
June 2012 - Norwegian Epic - Western Mediterranean
January 2012 - Norwegian Jade - Canary Islands
June 2010 - Norwegian Epic - Transatlantic
64 days at see with 11 coming as a solo traveler

Old November 6th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by micm View Post
For lots of sailings I found the studios being more expensive than inside cabins booked for one person.

The cabin itself is fine and well layed out but after cruised twice on the Epic in a studio cabin my decision for the next cruises is solely the price combared to an inside.

I am not a huge fan of the living room as well. If you are a coffee drinker the coffee machine might be a plus for you. Apart from that I never found it to be a great place to stay. Neither people nor ocean watching possible.
Thanks for the input
NCL Pearl 2010 Alaska
RCCL Jewel Of the Seas 2008
NCL Majesty 2007
NCL Pride of America 2006
NCL Majesty 2005
Galaxy 2003
Norwegian Sun 2002
Sensation 2001
SeaBreeze 2000
Norwegain Sea 1999
Enchantment 1998
Horizon 1997
Fascination 1997
Sovereign 1996
Holiday 1995
Norway 1994
Seaward 1993
Mardis Gras 1991

Old November 6th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

LOVED the studio cabin I had on the Epic. I sailed her within the first year so things may have changed a bit but here were some of the things I really enjoyed:

- Nightly "get together" for those sailing in the studios. We had quite a few that gathered every night. As a solo traveller I thought it was nice to meet other passengers and make some plans for dinner or events.
- They had a 2 for 1 happy hour at the nightly get togethers. Again a great way to meet other solo travellers and was nice to have some drink specials
- We had a representative from the Entertainment staff that came to our nightly meetings that helped arrange some special events for the Studio group. The magician came in one night for a casual magic show for us. We also had one of the Blue Man Group (sans makeup) that came in to talk about how he got in the BMG, etc. She also helped arrange a very nice dinner for some of us which included some complimentary wine.

If I were travelling solo again I would consider this in a heartbeat! I enjoyed the atmosphere and had a great time.

Old November 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just did the Barcelona to Miami Transatlantic on the Epic as a solo. I loved my Studio cabin -- plenty of room for one -- and the Studio Lounge. I'm not a coffee drinker but others said that the coffee machine in the Lounge made the best coffee on the ship. There was a variety of cereals and danish in the Lounge every morning, and salads, sandwiches and cookies later in the day. Met lots of friendly people of all ages at the 5:30 PM gathering. (The average age of all guests on this sailing was 57.) Our solo coordinator Fernando did a great job. He arranged dinner every night in one of the MDRs for those interested, and we often had 20 or more solos attend. He also had sign-up sheets for dinner in the specialty restaurants and for a visit to the Ice Bar. I'm not a big Norwegian fan (I'll write up some comments on the cruise soon) but for solo travelers, I think Norwegian does it well.

HAL Ryndam - Western Caribbean 3/14
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Western Caribbean 2/14
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - Bermuda 10/13
Island Princess - Denali Explorer Cruisetour 6/13
Celebrity Reflection - Transatlantic Miami to Rome 4/13
RCI Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean 2/13
Norwegian Epic - Transatlantic Barcelona to Miami 10/12
RCI Jewel of the Seas - Cozumel 4/12
Norwegian Spirit - Western Caribbean 12/11
Crown Princess - Eastern Caribbean 2/09
HAL Volendam - Panama Canal 3/07
RCI Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas 3/05
Celebrity Horizon - Bermuda 7/04
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - W. Caribbean 5/03
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska 8/00
Carnival Ecstasy - W. Caribbean 4/00
RCI Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas 5/97
Monarch Sun - E. Caribbean 5/77

Old November 6th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just sailed in one for two weeks, and would do it again in an instant. I am not a big breakfast person, but the one day I did need something, it was great to go to the living room for coffee and a pastry, rather than battling the buffet before all of the excursions left. The get togethers were great especially at first before I made new friends and went off and did things with them.

I loved the cabin, the location and highly recommend it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1725028 Live From Epic Transatlantic 2012 Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1921866 Live from Star Transatlantic 2013 -Garden Villa

Old November 6th, 2012, 02:41 PM
5,000+ Club

I'd echo some of the other comments but add that the nightly gatherings are for all solo travellers not just studio travellers, I'm back in a studio on Breakaway next April but this time on Epic I opted for a balcony cabin and loved it!! I'd rank the cabins I've stayed in as Balcony then Studio then inside.

I've just told my cruise consultant to get me another balcony for next years TA

As Sally has said after a few solo gatherings you tend to form friendship groups but it's always a good meeting point.

Norwegian Spirit - Mar '14 9nt Canary/Morocco
Norwegian Getaway - Jan '14 sampler
Norwegian Epic - October '13 13nt westbound transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - Sep '13 7nt west med
Norwegian Breakaway - May 13 7nt Inaugural Transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - October '12 13nt Westbound Transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - Apr/May '12 7nt West Med
Norwegian Epic - May/Jun '11 7nt West Med
Independence of the Seas - Dec '10 11nt Canaries
Ocean Village 1 - Aug '10 7nt West Med
Ocean Village 2 - Apr '09 7nt Maiden East Med Pyramids
Ocean Village 1 - Jan '08 14nt Central Americas; April '07 17nt Trans Atlantic Barbados-Crete; May '06 14nt West Med; May '05 14nt West Med

Old November 6th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Y View Post
Just did the Barcelona to Miami Transatlantic on the Epic as a solo. I loved my Studio cabin -- plenty of room for one -- and the Studio Lounge. I'm not a coffee drinker but others said that the coffee machine in the Lounge made the best coffee on the ship. There was a variety of cereals and danish in the Lounge every morning, and salads, sandwiches and cookies later in the day. Met lots of friendly people of all ages at the 5:30 PM gathering. (The average age of all guests on this sailing was 57.) Our solo coordinator Fernando did a great job. He arranged dinner every night in one of the MDRs for those interested, and we often had 20 or more solos attend. He also had sign-up sheets for dinner in the specialty restaurants and for a visit to the Ice Bar. I'm not a big Norwegian fan (I'll write up some comments on the cruise soon) but for solo travelers, I think Norwegian does it well.

Just curious but how did you figure out the average age of all guests on the sailing?

Old November 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinIllinois View Post
Just curious but how did you figure out the average age of all guests on the sailing?
They posted it on the front of a daily paper, youngest was 1, oldest a 92yr old lady

Norwegian Spirit - Mar '14 9nt Canary/Morocco
Norwegian Getaway - Jan '14 sampler
Norwegian Epic - October '13 13nt westbound transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - Sep '13 7nt west med
Norwegian Breakaway - May 13 7nt Inaugural Transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - October '12 13nt Westbound Transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - Apr/May '12 7nt West Med
Norwegian Epic - May/Jun '11 7nt West Med
Independence of the Seas - Dec '10 11nt Canaries
Ocean Village 1 - Aug '10 7nt West Med
Ocean Village 2 - Apr '09 7nt Maiden East Med Pyramids
Ocean Village 1 - Jan '08 14nt Central Americas; April '07 17nt Trans Atlantic Barbados-Crete; May '06 14nt West Med; May '05 14nt West Med

Old November 6th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteCruiser View Post
I just sailed in one for two weeks, and would do it again in an instant. I am not a big breakfast person, but the one day I did need something, it was great to go to the living room for coffee and a pastry, rather than battling the buffet before all of the excursions left. The get togethers were great especially at first before I made new friends and went off and did things with them.

I loved the cabin, the location and highly recommend it.
I'm doing a solo studio in March on the Epic and looking forward to the experience. It'll be my 1st NCL cruise, I've been branching out to other lines and liked Disney and Princess much better than CCL, hopefully the Epic will feel like an upgrade too! And it's been a long time since I've seen BMG.
Majesty of the Seas 5/04
Fascination 2/05
Legend 3/05
Legend 5/05
Destiny 1/06
Triumph 6/06
Valor 8/06
Valor 12/08
Valor 7/09
Liberty 10/09
Miracle 1/10
Valor 4/10