“Live” from the Carnival Sensation & Carnival Freedom: Nov 8-17,2012: B2B

MrFunInTheSun

Hello everyone…

Welcome to "Live" from the Carnival Sensation & Carnival Freedom!

I'm excited to begin my second “Live” cruise report from the beautiful Carnival Sensation and Carnival Freedom as I travel a non-traditional back to back cruise adventure!

Tomorrow morning, Thursday, November 8, 2012 I'll venture from Tampa and board the Carnival Sensation in Port Canaveral with a brief intermission back on land on Sunday, November 11, 2012. I’ll then travel down to Port Everglades early Sunday morning, November 11, 2012 and board the Carnival Freedom.

My itinerary during the next 9 days and 9 nights:

Novembercruiseitinerary2012updated_zps40429ea7.jpg

First "Live" cruise report:

Check out my first "Live" cruise report on Royal Caribbean's beautiful Monarch of the seas.

Click Here for Monarch of the seas “Live” cruise report: July 20-23, 2012.

Cruise experience:

This will be my 12th & 13th cruise with Carnival and I've cruised three times with Royal Caribbean. This will be my overall 15th & 16th cruise since I started this horrible addiction back in November 2000. When I board both these ships, it will be my second time cruising them. My girlfriend and I cruised the Carnival Sensation back in 2009 and the Carnival Freedom back in 2010.

Welcome aboard! Sit back, relax with one of your favorite beverages as we watch, participate and begin new adventures.

Till a later time!

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Radio's current "Live" from Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the seas! November 4-11, 2012. It is located Here.

Where we are going:

sensationitinary_zps057fed19.jpgfreedomitinary_zps2a76de17.jpg

Carnival extended our stay in Nassau while I'm aboard the Carnival Sensation:

nassauitinerarychange_zpse0325f59.jpg

And now I present some "fun" facts about the "fun" ships I'm sailing, for inquiring minds....

The Carnival Sensation is the third ship built in the Fantasy-class. She began operation with Carnival Cruise Lines in 1993.

• Builder: Kvaemer Masa-Yards, Helsinki New Shipyard, Finland
  • Cost: $ 250 million
  • Maiden Voyage: November 1, 1993
  • Tonnage: 70,367. Length: 855ft. Beam: 103 ft. Decks: 10. Speed: 21 knots.
  • Capacity: 2634 Passengers. 920 Crew.
  • Sister Ships: Ecstasy, Fantasy, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Elation and Paradise.
  • Port Of Registry: Bahamas
  • Cruise Director: Ralph Valente (Wee Jimmy)

carnivalsensation_zps13e41cae.jpg

The Carnival Freedom is a Conquest-class cruise ship, and is the last vessel to be built in the Conquest-class.

• Builder: Fincantieri shipyard in Marghera, Italy
  • Cost: $ 500 million
  • Maiden Voyage: March 5, 2007
  • Tonnage: 110,000. Length: 952 ft. Beam: 116ft. Decks: 13 (14 is the top, 13 was skipped). Speed 21 knots.
  • Capacity: 2974 Passengers. 1150 Crew.
  • Sister Ships: Conquest, Glory, Valor and Liberty
  • Port of Registry: Panama
  • Cruise Director: Brad Calabrese

freedom2_zps4e104b50.jpg

And now I present some "fun" facts about the "Ports" our ship will be visiting, for inquiring minds....

Nassau, Bahamas...

• Currency: Legal tender is the Bahamian dollar, which is the equivalent in value to the U.S dollar. Both U.S and Bahamian dollars accepted interchangeably throughout the island. European currency is not, so exchange is necessary at an ATM.
  • Best Cocktail: Splish-Splash at the Poop Deck Sandy Point where a Bacardi Bartender of the year, Oswald Greenslade, concocts a drink made from Barcardi Select, Nassau Royal liqueur, pineapple juice, banana, cream and sugar-cane syrup.
  • Where the ships dock: Prince George Wharf, near Rawson Square. In the heart of Nassau.
  • Population: 226,000.
  • Average Temperature: Average winter temperature is 70 degrees F, average summer temperature is 82 degrees F.
  • Nassau: Nassau was formerly known as Charles Town; it was burned to the ground by the Spanish in 1684, but later rebuilt and renamed Nassau in 1695 in honor of the Dutch Stadtholder and later also King of England, Scotland and Ireland, William III from the Dutch House of Orange-Nassau.
  • Pirates: Around 1713, the sparsely settled Bahamas had become a pirate haven for pirate chieftains Thomas Barrow and Benjamin Hornigold. They proclaimed Nassau a priate republic, establishing themselves as "governors", and were joined by Charles Vane, Calico Jack Rackham, and the infamous Edward Teach, known as "Blackbeard", along with female pirates such as Anne Bonny and Mary Read.

Nassau_zpsb623c29a.gif

Key West, Florida...

• Bridges: 42 bridges connect Key West to the mainland of Florida.
  • Reefs: The third largest coral reef in the world is off the coast of Key West at 160 miles long.
  • Beach Sand: All of the sand on the beaches of Key West were shipped in on barges from the Caribbean.
  • Southern Most City: Key West is the southernmost city in the US. Key West is closer to Cuba than it is to Miami.
  • Cuba: Even though Cuba is only 90 miles from Key West you can never see it.
  • Birds: The whole island is a bird sanctuary since there are many endangered species there.
  • Happy Hour: Begins at 9am at Schooner Warf Bar.
  • Civil War Forts: There are three civil war forts located on Key West.
  • Yankee's: Even though Key West is the southernmost point in the US, it was Yankee territory during the Civil War.
  • Born: People born in Key West are called Conchs.
  • Hurricanes: Key West hasn't been directly hit by a hurricane since 1919.
  • Temperature: Key West has never dropped below 41 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Population: There are about 25,000 people that live in Key West.
  • Frost: Key West is the only city in the continental US that never gets frost.
  • US Highway 1: US Highway One ends in Key West, U.S. Highway One, is 2,209 miles long and runs from Fort Kent, Maine.
  • Bars: Key West has more bars per capita than any other place in the country.
  • City: Back in 1889, Key West was the biggest city in Florida.
  • Churches: Key West has more churches per capita than any other place in the country.
  • International Flight: Key West had the first international flight. In 1927, Pan American Airlines flew a plane from Key West to Havana, Cuba.
  • Elevation: Key West is 18 feet above sea level.
  • Cats: Most of the 40 cats living at the Hemingway House have six or seven toes because they are all descendents from Hemingway's cat.

KeyWestmap_zps64bcb541.jpg

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands...

• Elevation: 30 ft above sea level
  • Temperature: Winter temperature. 75 degrees F. Summer Temperature. 85 degrees F.
  • Industries: Tourism, banking.
  • Water Clarity: The sea around the island owes its extraordinary clarity to the fact that there are no rivers or naturally occurring fresh water anywhere on the island.
  • Orientation: Grand Cayman is 180 miles northwest of Jamaica and 150 miles south of Cuba. The other two island, Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, lie together about 80 miles northeast of Grand Cayman.
  • Cayman: The name "Cayman" derives from the Carib word crocodile, "camanes", and appeared in the log of Sir Francis Duke, the first English visitor to the island, in 1586. Prior to that, they were called "Las Tortugas" ("turtles", in Spanish) by Columbus, who discovered the islands in 1503.
  • Capital: George Town, Grand Cayman
  • National Anthem: "God Save The Queen".
  • National Song: "Beloved Isle Cayman", written in 1930 by Mrs. Leila Ross-Shier.
  • Political Status: British Overseas Territory.
  • Population: Estimated resident population is 54,878.

grand-cayman-map_zps48696223.gif

Ocho Rios, Jamaica...

• Ocho Rios: Spanish for "Eight Rivers". Town in the parish of Saint Ann on the north coast of Jamaica. It is believed Christopher Columbus first set foot on land in Ocho Rios. It was once a fishing village but now caters to tourists.
  • Ocho Rios name: The name Ocho Rios is a misomer because there are not eight rivers in the area. It was most likely a British corruption of the original Spanish name "Las Chorreras" (the waterfalls), a name given to the village because of the nearby Dunn's River falls.
  • Driving Distance: Highway from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay and international airport has improved over the past 12 years making the journey now an hour and forty minute drive.
  • Jamaica: Officially Commonwealth of Jamaica, is the 4th largest Island nation of the Greater Antilles. It's 234 kilometres in length up to 80 kilometers wide. It sits about 90 miles south of Cuba. Jamaica is the 5th largest island country in the Caribbean.
  • Island Naming: Indigenous Arawaken-speaking Taino name for the island was Xaymica, meaning the "Land of the Wood and Water" or the "Land of Springs."
  • Possession: It was once a Spanish possession known as Santiago, it became an English, and later British, colony in 1655 under the name Jamaica. It achieved full independence from the United Kingdom on August 6, 1962 with 2.8 million people. It is the third most populous Anglophone country in the Americas, after the United States and Canada. Kingston is the countries largest city, with a population of 937, 700 and its capital.
  • Currency: Jamaican dollar.
  • Official Language: English
  • Motto: "Out of Many, One People."
  • Anthem: "Jamaica, Land We Love."
  • Royal Anthem: "God Save the Queen."
  • Population: 2,889,187

jamaica_map_zps61ea14f3.jpg

Caribbean Sea...

· Caribbean Name: Columbus stumbled across the many islands in this region and thought he had reached another part of the world. He named those islands as "West Indies." It was later realized that what he had found was a whole new region with its amazing natural resources intact. With that the name "Caribbean" was later given to it by the Amerindian tribe, the Caribs, hence the name Caribbean Sea.

· Distance: The Caribbean Sea region covers an area of 1,063,000 square miles, covering the entire aquatic region from Mexico to the boundaries of South America.

· Deep Sea: The Caribbean sea is just as deep as it is wide. It's deepest point is considered to be even lower than a depth of 25,220 ft or 7,686 meters. This makes this point one of the lowest points on earth's surface and Caribbean Sea one of the deepest seas.

· Natural Resources: Of all the islands that make the part of the entire Caribbean region, a mere 2% of the land mass, is actually inhabited. The rest of the islands are totally untouched by any human civilization, with their natural resources having been intact for centuries.

· Caribbean Sea Temperature: Generally has a consistent temperature of around 76 degrees, the waters of the Caribbean Sea remain warm and clear almost all the time.

· Island Histories: Islands within the Caribbean region are an important part of the Caribbean Sea habitat. Not all the islands are governed by the Caribbean authorities. Depending on their jurisdiction, some of the islands belong to other countries like UK, France, etc and others making independent countries of their own.

caribbean_sea_map_zpsdb7d2455.jpg

Excursion Thoughts & Ramblings

With this trip it's my goal to attempt to do unique excursions that might not usually get accomplished with others or a group traveling together. I’ve been to each of these ports more than once with the exception of Jamaica this being my 2nd time there. Last time I sailed to Jamaica was back in September 2007, and we visited “Dunn’s Falls”, while Dunn's Falls was fun, I view this as an experience you only need to do once.

Grand Cayman was a struggle to find something unique that hasn’t already been done. When we sailed to Grand Cayman November 2011 we did the city tour, turtles and went to “Hell”. Figured I didn’t need to go back to “Hell” again and get another post card, I’ll be moved or shipped there whether I want to or not one day anyways, I’m sure. Now one thing I’d like to pre-requisite about excursions is planning and actually booking an excursion prior to a cruise is not a usual form of pre-cruise planning that I normally do. I’m the “Wing it” and go on the “Fly” type of traveler. What you decide you want to do today, may not be what you want to do XX amount of days, weeks, months from the time you book said excursion.

Good news is that’s what Nassau will be for, completely "Winging it"! I’ve been to Nassau so many times and have struggled on something “Unique” to do there with this trip, but will most likely visit places that are part of the "Walking tour" that is a paid excursion on the ship. I'm pretty sure I can say I’ve never done any type of island tour in Nassau.

Well wait, I take that back. During a previous cruise back in August 2009 on the Sensation my girlfriend and I "walked" from "Prince George Wharf" to Paradise Island and “Atlantis”.

Yes, I said “Walked!" As we approached the bridge I said to my girlfriend that was slightly grumpy at the time (really don't understand why she was so grumpy), Good News, there is going to be an “awesome” view from the "top of the bridge", this great view will make this wonderful walk well worth while. Needless to say my girlfriend was not amused nor impressed with my comment.

Once we were at the top of the bridge I assured her what a great thing we had accomplished and to look at this as practice for her yearly breast cancer walk. After she gave me the glare, I also stated we did find this awesome hole in the wall “rum cake” factory during our “walk” and a great hole in the wall bar for a couple beers, that a "paid tour" would have never brought us too, nor would have we ever found and thankfully experienced if we didn't walk this great journey to Paradise Island.

Suffice to say to ensure the remainder of the cruise stayed on a positive note, we took a taxi back to the ship. Oh yeah, for Christmas that year, I enlarged one of the pictures I took from atop the bridge with a view of Atlantis and placed it into a nice frame and gave it to my girlfriend. Wrapped it nicely and placed it under the tree. (Wouldn't you have loved this gift? Her dad thought it was a great gift.) I did get the glare, but a nice smile followed by a tremendously loud laugh. Needless to say she has it hanging on her wall in her office at work. This great adventure and picture of that adventure has been a conversation starter a few times where she works. Perhaps one day we'll do that walk again? :-/

The Walk

paradiseislandwalk_zpscd47915c.jpg

The "Bridge" view during our walk to Paradise Island. August 2009

Picture1112_zpsd6726d3d.jpg

Picture1121_zps36108dfc.jpg

View of Atlantis from atop the "Bridge". August 2009 (Christmas gift picture)

Picture1131_zps07f8d90c.jpg

With all that said, I actually pre-planned some excursions for this cruise? why??

I don't know, but I did. It is all subject to change though, of course!

Planned Excursions Over The Next Nine Days

ü Friday, November 9, 2012: Unknown, winging it. (Bahamas)

ü Sunday, November 11, 2012: Interstate 95 Ultimate Driving Experience.

ü Monday, November 12, 2012: Key West Pub Crawl. (Key West, FL)

ü Wednesday, November 14, 2012: Stingray City Sandbar & Rum Point Beach Safari. (Grand Cayman)

ü Thursday, November 15, 2012: 18th Century Estate & Ultimate Beach Experience. (Jamaica)

Excursion Details

Sunday: Interstate 95 Ultimate Driving Experience:

Enjoy your feet on land while you experience the thrill of Interstate 95 from Port Canaveral to Port Everglades. This excursion is the ultimate driving thrill, almost like a roller coaster as you feel the motions of the sea as though your still on the ship as you drive on interstate 95 to Port Everglades. If your lucky you may see a gator or a gator fan.

drivingmap_zps367e7cb5.jpg

Monday: Key West Pub Crawl:

Drinking with “new friends”. Come and party like a native on this walking tour of the most famous and entertaining drinking establishments in Key West.

· Rain or shine, find out the best places in town to have a drink – Conch style! Begin downtown and move through the historic seaport.

· Receive a complimentary t-shirt before visiting 5 different pubs.

· Receive your choice of a complimentary beer or mixed drink at each stop.

· Enjoy food and drink specials at each bar.

· Be kept entertained with a festive atmosphere, contests, and stories.

· Note: Minimum age is 21 years. Choice of one beer or well drink at each bar included.

Wednesday: Stingray City Sandbar & Rum Point Beach Safari:

Snorkel at the world famous Stingray Sandbar and have some fun-in-the-sun at Rum Point Beach.

· Take a short ride along beautiful Seven Mile Beach Road from the pier to your awaiting boat.

· Sit back and relax for a 30 minute ride to the world famous sandbar.

· Enter the waist deep water to interact with the stingrays.

· Board your vessel and head to Rum Point Beach.

· Enjoy the beach, or take a dip in the crystal clear water.

· Spend approximately 1 ½ hours at the beach before the journey back to your ship.

Thursday: 18th Century Estate & Ultimate Beach Experience:

This fun-filled excursion combines a visit to an 18th century plantation and an escape to Dolphin Cove’s beach.

· Take a short transfer from the pier to Prospect Plantation where a complimentary fruit drink is waiting.

· Experience “Old Jamaica’s Culture” and history on a tractor-drawn open air carriage ride.

· See the plantation’s butterfly aviary and feed the ostriches.

· Depart for Dolphin Cove, home to dolphins, sharks, snakes, stingrays, macaws, and many other tropical birds, fishes and reptiles.

· View the dolphins as they interact with other guests and witness the amazing “Shark Show”.

· Relax and enjoy the private beach’s pearly white sand and crystal clear waters. Relax in your complimentary lounge chair with a complimentary drink and enjoy lunch in the comfort of your “beach haven”.

· Sample local fruits, spices and the World Famous Blue Mountain Coffee and liquors.

· Have an optional drop off at Taj Mahal or Soni’s Plaza for shopping on your return to the ship.

· Note: Beach time is at the discretion of the guest. Lunch includes one non-alcoholic beverage and one hamburger or two hot dogs.

· Comfortable walking shoes, swimsuit, and sunscreen are recommended.

18thcentury_zps08cdb522.jpg

Good afternoon: Welcome to day 1 from the Carnival Sensation.

Left Tampa at 9:30 and arrived promptly at Port Canaveral a few minutes before 11:30. The new terminal is a breeze, walked right thru the VIP security without any issues, standard shaking my water bottles making sure they were not vodka or rum. Took all of 5 minutes at the VIP check in, I was the only person there at the time, quite a large area for VIP and FTTF. Lady said your room will be ready at 130, I said no, VIP is the same as FTTF, room should be ready now. She was like oh, this is our first week, which it is, this is the first sailing.

Was on the ship by 11:45

I proceeded right to my room and this is the sign at the entry way:

E0293D13-D310-4C16-BD57-205CF1CBD3B8-89932-000081F8A3FEF03C_zps745b73ad.jpg

My room:

3D18EB91-D187-4164-AC25-1483CDDF93DB-89932-000081F836A4F1C9_zps912550ad.jpg

Other items:

29315D52-B8AB-4B9E-B157-B052869CB877-89932-000081F847475FED_zpsed24a0df.jpg

C696CCF9-571F-4A2F-8541-84809D1CE29A-89932-000081F8550AB24A_zps5e86030d.jpg

04A5A5B8-A134-4AC6-A04A-74F27CC059F5-89932-000081F891037180_zpsb4ebaa8a.jpg

It was a rather chilly start here in Florida this morning in the mid 40's. The sun is out now with a bit of a breeze with a slight chill in the air, but very refreshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I'm already enjoying your trip and the ship hasn't sailed yet, thanks for posting! DH & I are also doing a "non-traditional" back to back Thanksgiving week. We start out on the Paradise in Tampa and then drive to Cape Canaveral for the Sensation. Glad we're not the only ones who do things a little "different"...lol.

Will be watching for more of your continued adventure! ;)

Today's mandatory "Fun Ship"

EFA2A838-011E-4D99-9FAF-EF50A9535292-90246-0000820E576578B8_zps8b04ccc3.jpg

Walked around a bit, took a few pictures and met some nice people. Everyone seems to be getting settled and ready to relax and have a good time. As I posted before there is "live" island music up on the lido deck. I've read many reviews and threads of guests complaining of the lack of this. Not sure if they have brought some of them back or it can vary ship to ship, guess I'll find out on Sunday when I board the Freedom.

While walking around a bit I stopped by the casino and got my sail and sign card punched and lanyard. While there a bunch of folks were by the famous Vault machine. A good time and donations made to Carnival were made during this event.

4E2BC066-7E27-4E47-B54A-EBE8567CF7C8-90246-0000821AC8AFECF5_zpsb1df1625.jpg

Went back to room for a bit just before muster. Muster delayed but painless, quick and over by 410. Now that's over it's time to sail away to some warmer waters. We are sailing away as planned here very shortly.

Till a later time, live from the Sensation!

Wanting help to get 3 items for Christmas gifts to announce "cruise" gift to 3 children. 2 are age 11 and 1 age 8.....anyone available to help. I tried contacting Carnival directly but they were no help. Would like to keep the price below total of $20. Even luggage tags, brochures, etc....anything free ! That we could divide up and make it a special thing !

Sail away was great and a bit chilly for here in Florida this time of year but very refreshing. I toured around the ship some and enjoyed what sun was left in the day after sail away.

16211008-AF9C-40E0-B5FC-718802999A3D-90773-0000823D7D9CF3CD_zps485ab579.jpg

Around 6pm I was very hungry and was on my 2nd beer from my bucket of beer I had bought.

t6B9441B5-A934-44BB-BDB8-3CCB4F676C8C-90773-0000823D68C88D1F_zps94ebd08f.jpg

I then decided it was time to eat and that I'm going to eat in the dining room tonight and much earlier than I normally would. Earlier I thought tonight I may just eat at the buffet. Went to the Fantasy dining room and was asked if I wanted a table to myself or to sit with others, I said it really didn't matter. I was seated with a nice group of table mates and had a great meal and dinner conversation. Tonight I had flat iron steak, salad, escargot and conclude with some key lime pie and coffee. At the conclusion of dinner I headed back to my room to recycle my beer, regroup and then head back to the hub of the ship where everything was happening.

400C2F85-A6C0-4CFE-B9F4-470805AE1DF6-90773-0000823D95F7EBE2_zpsb35c47f1.jpg

One thing to note is since we left Port Canaveral we surely have and continue to be rockin and rolling, it's going to be a great sleeping night, once that time comes. I'm at the bow of the ship this cruise so it'll be even more movement, love it.

Saw the part of the "The Gender Showdown" which was quite humorous as it was a very close race right up till the end the with the captain of each team being a couple. Then watched most of Game Show Mania, which had some of those that participated in gender showdown and was pretty funny.

4FF715A5-D3A8-4D78-B980-887982657B12-90773-0000823D57846D08_zpse36526ce.jpg

I then left for a bit and walked around and found myself back to view a portion of the Welcome aboard show then making my way to the casino where I donated to Carnival. I was ahead for a bit and didn't take my own advise and walk away for awhile. :-)

Decided around midnight it was time to call it a night. Everyone looks to be having a great time, there are two weddings and a few groups that are part of this sailing. Bachelorette party (All the females part of this group wearing white hats, they are quite lively).

The ship is still rocking pretty well but not quite as much as it was at 10pm although it could more be I'm more used to it now. I do like it though, to bad we'll be docked in Nassau all night tomorrow night.

Till a later time, live from the Carnival Sensation...

Tonight's towel animal

A271248E-4C0A-422F-ADB4-67C26E713F92-90773-0000823D659A542E_zps8ea8b0df.jpg

Good Morning, welcome to Day 2 from the Carnival Sensation.

Our captain is Placido Tumminello, he currently has us located cruising along at 17.6 kts as we approach Nassau. The current winds are 13kts. Sunrise this morning was at 623 am.

The sun is shining with some light clouds. It's going to be a beautiful day here in Nassau as we are scheduled to dock around noon and we will be here over night. All aboard will be at 5am tomorrow and we are scheduled to depart Nassau at 6am on Saturday followed by a sea day.

Today I'm still not sure what I have planned, as of right now I'm extremely hungry and am about to head up to the Fantasy dining room 8 fwd and enjoy most likely an omelet and waffles or pancakes.

The pictures I shared last night of the "Live" music on the lido deck are a Calypso music group by the name Caribbean Breeze. They were very good. They will be playing on lido deck 10 mid from 11am-130pm today.

Here's today's "Fun Times"

I'm off to get some food and who know what else at this time.

Till a later time, live from the Carnival Sensation...

161D8813-7A4C-4032-A4C1-B9F2FC17A7A9-90956-000082CFD6C592E4_zps2f5b5aa0.jpg

5BD8BE05-D954-4B9C-BA00-86178624200F-90956-000082CFD972EC0A_zpsd6cbc596.jpg

6F6E93EB-383A-4AF1-AA99-044F8234F1D0-90956-000082CFDD13B35C_zps09a6c9d9.jpg

86FE7382-A317-4CD9-A5AF-8E55E792BEB8-90956-000082CFE59C5E78_zps681058d1.jpg

Nice sign outside the Seaview Bistro

0D05D60E-4D7B-4D8E-9BE2-8A4B119D35D2-90956-000082CFEB21A436_zps17e98d78.jpg

Archived