Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Fare Change After Booking & Paying

I am not unhappy about our choice of a cruise and we probably got a fair deal - but the fares on the cruise we booked have dropped dramatically since the last time I checked. For what we paid, we could upgrade at least one catagory or saved about 30% off our current room compared to what we paid a few months ago. I suspect its like buying a car or TV - sales come and go and I missed out by buying early. However, as a relative newbie to cruising, I am curious as to what others have been able to accomplish in situations like this.

The cruise is scheduled for early March - our deadline for full payment was 3 weeks ago and we are paid in full.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:05 PM
50,000+ Club

Certainly wouldn't hurt to call them, and see what they can do for you! Many lines will move you to a better cabin, if available, for little or no extra cost. Just call! All they can say is, "Sorry"!

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hard to get money back, but depending on the cruise line you might be able to upgrade to a better cabin but it has to be priced higher than what you paid, even if only $10.

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM
40,000+ Club

Most sales after final payment are for new bookings only. Since you have made the final payment, it is not likely to be worth it to cancel and re-book, so they often will not match it for you. But it can't hurt to ask. Call your TA or cruise line

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:04 PM
5,000+ Club

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

Depending on the cruise line and your insurance coverage.
I was told by my Princess PVP that I would eligible for price drops after final payment because I'm using Princess Protection. If other insurance then no go with price change.
Caribbean Jan 2008 ,

November 2011 Alaska Aug 2008 , May 2010 , June 2013
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Hawaii April 2012 , Feb 2013
Princess 10x HAL 3x RCI 2x

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Is this your NCL cruise? If so, chances are you will not get OBC or a refund. But there is a chance they will agree to upgrade you to a higher category for free (if same or lower) or for the fare difference (if higher). Check to see if there is a cabin you'd like to upgrade to (some people like their lower category cabin better than some cabins in higher categories...so be sure the upgrade seems desirable to you). If so, call your TA if you used one. Call NCL if you booked direct. They are within their rights to say a "deal is a deal," but you have a decent shot at that upgrade. Good luck.

Old December 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have had my price decreased on many cruises when I found a lower fare for my sailing. A quick note or call to my travel agent and it was taken care of. I agree you won't get a refund but a cabin upgrade is nothing to laugh at either. I've had this occur on Holland America and Princess.

1992 Nordic Prince
1993 The Norway
1995 Noordam
1997 Noordam
1998 Ryndam
1999 Noordam
2001 Volendam
2003 Volendam
2004 Maasdam
2006 Caribbean Princess
2007 Regal Princess - Hawaii
2008 Volendam - Alaska
2010 Noordam
2012 Oosterdam - Australia/New Zealand/Solar Eclipse
2013 Prinsendam - European Explorer
2014 Veendam - Canada/New England
2015 Prinsendam - Celtic & Gaelic Explorer

Old December 27th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If this were before final payment, you would probably have a good chance for a credit. Now that final payment has passed, the goal is to fill the ship, hence the sales that are for new bookings only.

Old December 27th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

We get upgrades regularly when this happens on most all lines . Ask !!!

Old December 28th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

This happened to me on our cruise in January, so I called the cruise line and asked for an upgraded room. They were willing to give me an upgraded room which I was very happy with.

Call the cruise line or your travel agent and ask.

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:00 AM
50,000+ Club

All you can do is call and ask -- if you have a TA -- have that person make the call. The cruise line will not deal with you personally unless you booked with them.

You may luck out and be upgraded to a better cabin.

This is normal for cruise lines to drop prices after others have made final payment as they want to get all the cabins filled.

Something else to be aware of -- these are usually flash sales and for new bookings only. There could be a penality if you decide to cancel your original booking and book a better cabin or even a cabin in the same category you are in now.

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:02 AM
50,000+ Club

All you can do is call and ask -- if you have a TA -- have that person make the call. The cruise line will not deal with you personally unless you booked with them.

You may luck out and be upgraded to a better cabin.

This is normal for cruise lines to drop prices after others have made final payment as they want to get all the cabins filled.

Something else to be aware of -- these are usually flash sales and for new bookings only. There could be a penality if you decide to cancel your original booking and book a better cabin or even a cabin in the same category you are in now.

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Location: North in summer/Texas winter, but a Texan forever!!!

Looks like your on NCL's Jade in March? They are pretty good about getting you an upgrade if one is available. Make sure it will not affect any OBC or "specials" you might have. If you are not pleased with the first answer you get, call back and try again. I have had great success with getting a better room/suite in this same situation.

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Carnival has "Early Saver". You have to book six months ahead for 7+ day cruises, less for 5 or 6 day cruises. Every time YOU see a price drop you notify them and they lower your final payment to match that price. This is not automatic, YOU must tell them when it goes down. After final payment you get on board credit. Last year we had $240 OBC on each of our B2B cruises.
Regency
Premier
Cape Canaveral Cruises
Carnival
Royal Caribean
NCL
Celebrity
Princess
Costa

Old December 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsullivan View Post
Looks like your on NCL's Jade in March? They are pretty good about getting you an upgrade if one is available. Make sure it will not affect any OBC or "specials" you might have. If you are not pleased with the first answer you get, call back and try again. I have had great success with getting a better room/suite in this same situation.

Yes.........Go for an upgrade!~"If you are not pleased with the first answer you get, call back and try again."

NCL is very "flexible", we have received perks and OBC's for the craziest of inquiries
NCL Dawn Jan 2011
RCL Oasis of the Seas Sept 2011
NCL Star Dec 2011
NCL Pearl - Bahamas April 2011
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas - 2011
NCL EPIC - E Caribbean - 2012
NCL Star - Bermuda Sept 2012
Caribbean Princess Jan 2013