Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old November 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingclerk View Post
There are alot of things on the list I wouldn't bring, but it is still a good basic list that anyone can edit for their own use. Like:

Add a few zip-lock bags, sandwich, quart and gallon...gallon for when things are still wet when I need to pack them, quart--liquids that might burst while traveling, sandwich--bringing cookies to cabin for DH late night snack.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone
YES! I carry all sizes of zip locks now - the late night snacks OH YES! Also, they are great to organize my beach bag on shore tours, and my carry on.

I also have a few lanyards that I loop around my beach bag handles, or in my backpack, and hook on small wallet, camera bag etc. - for security and avoids digging

Nice list - thank you
NCL Dawn Jan 2011
RCL Oasis of the Seas Sept 2011
NCL Star Dec 2011
NCL Pearl - Bahamas April 2011
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas - 2011
NCL EPIC - E Caribbean - 2012
NCL Star - Bermuda Sept 2012
Caribbean Princess Jan 2013

Old November 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am a big planner and found a great app on the Android market that can put all of it on your phone. It was great for my last cruise and I will use it again. Look up the Ultimate Checklist or Cruise Checklist and it should come up. There are things that I don't hope to have to use but I would rather have them if I ever needed to. Happy Sailing!

NCL Jade Sept 2014
NCL Jewel Dec 2013
NCL Dawn March 2013
RCL Navigator of the Seas Dec 2011
NCL Spirit Dec 2010
RCL Jewel of the Seas June 2007

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

thanks for all the great ideas... And thanks to the original poster for taking the time to post your list. I think it's great and very nice of you to do so!

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for posing your list. We can all decide what's on there we want and what we don't but it is a good reference.
I have to have my zip locks - never leave home without them plus many of the items on your list.

01-19-2013 Star Clipper

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great List

I've used a list similar to yours for over 40 years. Leaving soon for 66th cruise and have packed almost everything you've listed. We take one suitcase each for 4 weeks at sea. Some folks just aren't planners but for those of us who are, this list is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler Cruiser View Post
Several years ago, when my wife and I prepared to go on our first cruise, we asked a number of people (many on CruiseCritic) what they suggested we take along.

This included things that we would not want to do without, things that would increase our creature comforts, and also items that we might wish we had, and would regret not taking when we had the chance.

I complied it all into a list. I have attached a copy of that list, but have also posted it below.

I hope you find it useful, and if you have any additional suggestions, please share!

SUGGESTIONS

FOR WHAT NOT TO FORGET TO TAKE WITH YOU ON YOUR CRUISE

CLOTHING, ETC.

Small tote umbrella
Extra pair of prescription glasses
Large metal paper clips for hanging up wet bathing suits
Sweater and/ or jacket for cool nights at sea or air conditioned areas that are quite cool
Over-the-door shoe holder
Cheap waterproof watch

LAUNDRY

Small containers of laundry detergent
Dryer sheets
Nylon mesh laundry bags
Pop-up laundry hamper
Stain remover pen

FOR STORING CLOTHING

A shoe rack which fits over the bathroom door
Extra hangers

AIR FRESHENERS, ETC.

Fabreeze air freshener (may be a problem if flying)
Airfreshener solid

TOILETRIES (PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS)

Shampoo
Hair conditioner
Disinfectant wipes
Travel roll of toilet paper
Purell or other waterless hand cleaner
Liquid hand soap
A small shower organizer to keep the soap and shampoo, razor, etc. (There is little enough room in the bathroom for storage)

FOR OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES

Bug spray
Sunscreen
Waterproof (water resistant) shoes
Sunglasses
Suntan lotion
Plastic hair clips for holding down towels on your chair or holding wet things drying on the balcony

FOR ON-SHORE EXCURSIONS

A backpack or fammy pack for carrying things on shore excursions
Driver Licenses if needed
Your passports
Ship Cards
Credit Card
Cash
Tour Vouchers & Payment for Tours with tips
Waterproof Camera
Chair Clips
RainPonchos
Thermal Bag with drinks & ice

DRUGS, MEDICINES, ETC.

Headache medicine (aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, etc.)
Stomach ache medicine (Pepto Bismol tablets, etc)
Bonine or Dramamine
Band Aids
Antiseptic ointment
Extra prescription medications (extra 2-3 days’ supply
Benedryl
Neosporin
Calamine lotion

APPLIANCES AND ELECTRONICS

Nightlight (for the bathroom or elsewhere)
Alarm clock
Hair dryer
Flat Iron
Power bar/ power strip
Extra batteries for your digital camera
Rechargable batteries for your digital camera
Battery charger
Cell phone charger
Flashlight
Extra memory cards for your digital camera

CLEANERS

Clorox spray cleaner for disinfecting surfaces

LAUNDRY NEEDS

Fabric sheets
Pop-up hamper for dirty clothes
Trash bag for storing dirty clothes
Duffle bag for dirty laundry

SHOPPING

Empty duffle bag for carrying what you buy on shopping trips
Empty tote bag for carrying what you buy on shopping trips

IF YOU BRING A LAPTOP COMPUTER

Memory card reader and/ or cable to backup your photos to a flash drive or CD/ DVD

MISCELLANEOUS

A highlighter for the newspaper or Patters
Bottle opener
Jigger
Small cocktail shaker
Single $$ for tips and misc. spending
Sewing kit
Bottle opener (“Church-key”)
Guidebooks for your cruise desitnations
Small roll of duct tape
Post-It notes to leave messages for the porter or those traveling with you
Cork screw
Addresses of all those that you want to write postcards and letters to while on your cruise.
A small pair of scissors
A bungie cord to hold open the sliding door to the balcony and/or hold the drapes open
Small pair of binoculars
Eyeglasses repair kit
Thank you cards to leave for waiters and stewards. (They really appreciate them!)

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

This list reminds me of my first cruise 20 years ago, I packed like I was going to the outback. Folks, we are not leaving civiliazation (sp?) If you forget or need it immediately, you can find it somewhere, it might be more costly (ex: batteries), but you can get it, unless you are so fussy that you have to have the name brand or size. Since my first cruise I have extremely downsized. So happy packing everyone.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

The main thing on the list that I learned to take with me to Europe is travel toilet tissue and, if staying in a hotel, shampoo and wash clothes.

Old December 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great list. The power strip that I take has a short cord (2') which is great for the small desk; plug in cell phone charger and electric clock with large numbers that can be seen from across the room. After getting sick on the QM2 and having an expensive dispensery bill, I now take: antibiotic eye drops for pink eye and antibiotic for bronchitis; of course, Advil and Pepto. I'd rather not spend time looking for a pharmacy in port.

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer View Post
Please remove the "flat iron" from your list. Cruise ships consider them a fire
hazard and will confiscate them if spotted. They will be returned at end of cruise
but, like flame-candles, they are not allowed.

Really no flat irons??? My hair is crazy wavy and the only way to get it to do anything is to use my flat iron, and then curling iron. I know on my last cruise I had a curling iron, so how would that be any different than my flat iron... aka straightner. If this is true guess I will try and find a way to smuggle it..........lol if people smuggle rumrunners, than I shall smjuggler my straightner!!!!

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieN View Post
A flat iron is to straighten hair.

It's the clothes irons that are not allowed onboard.

Immodium should be at the top of the meds list.

Yeah!!!!! I was getting worried that I would not be able to bring my staightener, that is thee one item I cannot live without. My hair is crazy wavy, and when I wake up it looks like I have stuck my finger into an electric socket!!!! lol

Old December 16th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

With all this stuff, there would be no room for clothes if any flying is involved!

Old December 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

You absolutely can bring a flat iron for your hair -- I think that the poster who said you couldn't was thinking of an iron for clothing.

Old December 18th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default nay sayers

this person posted a helpful list. those people that "only bring 10% of this list" or "do without 90%" or are discouraging it all because of weight or lack of space apparently need packing lessons. you can pack it very effectively and stuff like calamine lotion isnt there to be used on purpose, its more for just in case. and if you are in a situation where you need it you'll be that much less inconvenienced (or wont inconvenience others with your complaints about not having it). this stuff doesnt weigh that much and of course a group of guys isnt going to need a hair straightener but may pack their body weight in suntan lotion. remember to each his own. i go with the always be prepared motto but also know how to pack efficiently, so no extra baggage fees of over weight fees, etc. if you dont want to be bothered to pack it, dont bother others when you end up needing it. and for goodness sakes dont discourage others from bringing that stuff just because you dont know how to be prepared.

Old December 26th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

For us:

Pillow, blanket (I think I confused the room guy last week, he kept putting my blanket on dd's bed. No, she had her own!), kindle/books, nook, dvd player, movies, zune. (we didn't bring the dvd player/movies this time since we have dd. But always did in the past. Perfect for passing time during bingo before shows.) So the power strip is a must! Baggies-YES (for snacks at ports and for the way home) or during the shows.

My camera battery will last a week and my sd cards are 64 and 8 gigs. I'm not going to fill it up in a week (I haven't filled it up in a year), so no need to bring extra.

I do bring a first aid kit but that stays in the suitcase.

I also refuse to do laundry on vacation. However, a spilled beer on my suitcase landed me doing a load...$5.

I'm not sure why you'd need most of that stuff, but if you have a use for it, then go for it!

A backback/tote is a must for us! I do recommend a small bag/tote if traveling with short ones. Diaper, wipes, oral gel, sippy cup, room key, wave phone...

We also always pack extra under clothes/socks! dh takes 2-4 showers a day on the ship, me 2-3.

Also, toothbrush/paste, make up and jewelry, a folder to hold the funtimes/anything paper related you want to save/photos.

My worry is someone new to cruising would see this and think they need the stuff.

Funny story with the bottle opener. Dh doesn't really drink. While at port he bought a 6 pack of beer. He assumed they were pop tops. NOPE. He's thinking and looking. Finally, I give up. I use the belt clip on my bag. PERFECT!

"A bungie cord to hold open the sliding door to the balcony and/or hold the drapes open" NEVER needed this. The drapes have cords to pull them back and the doors stay open, no issues.

btw, you can use the cord from the drapes/curtains to 'child' proof the icebox...Otherwise dd wanted to play with the beer bottles.

Thanksgiving 2003, Carnival Conquest, Happy Honeymoon
Labor Day 2005, Carnival Valor, Grad school graduation gift, (safe at sea while Katrina hit New Orleans)
Thanksgiving 2007, NCL,
Thanksgiving 2009, Carnival Victory
Dec 14 2012, Disney Magic, First cruise with dd!

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy ks View Post
I don't believe that for an instant. Granted we can do without much of the list, but unless you don't take a camera, one cell phone (crazy not to travel without one any longer in case of emergency) a small first aid kit, ID, travel documents of some kind and a few personal items you will have more than 10% of the above list.
Okay, this got me interested in how many there are, and how many I would take.

Unless I counted wrong, there are 84 items listed.

I would take 16. So, a little less than 20%.

I think it is a good list for someone who likes to know they have everything they could possibly need. Me, I would rather not lug everything around, and, if I have to buy some bandaids, so be it.

It can also be a good starting place for the first cruiser, but I would caution the reader to really ask themselves, "Do I understand why I am taking this, might it be available on the ship for free (like the hangers) and will it upset me if I have to shell out a couple of dollare, if I need to, in order not to have to take this along?"

2013, RCL Enchantment of the Seas, Bahamas
2012, Carnival Pride, the cruise that Hurricane Sandy cancelled :-(
2012, River Odyssey, Danube cruise
2011, Carnival Pride, Bermuda
2010, HAL Prinsendam, Bordeaux and Beyond
2009, Carnival Pride: Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport
2008, HAL Rotterdam: Northern Europe and Scandinavia
2006, Carnival Legend: Belize, Costa Rica, Panama
2005, Carnival Conquest: Western Carribbean, round trip from New Orleans, three weeks ahead of Katrina
2004, Carnival Spirit: Alaska

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I personally loved the list. Went over it and compared it to mine and found a couple things I forgot! Anyway, if you have ever been really ill in your life (I am a cancer survivor and just had surgery last week . . . hoping to be fully recuperated by 1-16 sailing), you know that you better be prepared! Is that Girl Scout or Boy Scout motto? So, yes, not everyone will need everything listed but we take a good portion of it! I think Cruise Critic members, even newbies, are smart enough to know what they don't need or want! And you should note that most of it is small and lightweight, or can be purchased in travel sizes!

Last edited by mali06; December 27th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.

Old December 28th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

One thing I have found that works extremely well for me is those band aids that already have Neosporin on them. I keep those in the car, at work and always pack them in luggage. No need to keep up with the tube antibiotic ointment.

Old December 28th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

IF YOU HAVE FALSE TEETH(DENTURES) TAKE A DENTAL REPAIR KIT THEY ARE AVAILABLE FROM MOST CHEMISTS . A small wind up torch and a roll of duck tape in case case gets damaged