Carnival Ecstasy Nov 24-27,2000. Nostalgic Photo trip report & Capers

MrFunInTheSun

Whilst going through some boxes I came across an old binder that my mother had made up of the first cruise I took her on along with it being my very first cruise back on November 24, 2000.

We flew from Boston to Miami and boarded the Carnival Ecstasy for a three day cruise to Nassau, Bahamas.

As weird as this sounds this was just before digital cameras were out in full force. Hard to believe even just 12 years ago we took pictures with a camera and had to have them developed, hence fewer pictures than now a days. High speed internet?? What was that 12 years ago...dial up was the game in town.

What timing in finding this binder too as in about 11 days I'll be boarding the Ecstasy for the 2nd time and I'll be taking my mother which will be her 3rd cruise.

ecstasy1001.jpg

capersday1pg1001.jpg

ecstasy2000001.jpg

001.jpg

ecstasy4001.jpg

Wow...thanks for the memories

I remember the old gray/red decor in the cabins

and..."free rum swiizzle"

Complimentary Cocktails and hor'dorves at Captians Party..even on a 3 nighter

More singles/solo parties

I also loved the old Yellowbird

Positive changes : less smoking areas today

Neutral changes : no more midnight buffet (I don't miss it, don't think most do)

Bad Negative change : so much less live music and entertainment today

JMO of course..thanks for the memories

Very cool. Interesting though, how 2000 seems so ancient :eek: The photos almost seem like looking at something from the 70's! LOL I'm really getting old:o

I know, isn't it crazy. Digital cameras were just starting to surface and were extremely expensive. I bought this cruise on a travel web site at the time using dial up. Never cruised before nor talked to anyone about rooms and such. I had done a lot of research at that time though about getting a job on a cruise ship.

Be interesting to see this ship again in a week after 12 years and having a digital camera to take actual pictures. Am sure this ship will be sold off here in the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Love the new technology!! I remember hearing the noises in the computer when using dial-up...like a fax dialing out...haha. And I am so thankful for digital cameras. No need waiting for the film to be developed to know if the picture turned out...and the hassle of getting the film developed...ugh! Sometimes I really procrastinated on that. Remember Fotomat? LOL! that really is a blast from the past!

Oh, also wanted to comment that I noticed Steve Cassel's name as CD on the Capers. We were on the Ecstasy in the fall of 2011 and he was also our cruise director. I really liked him, thought he had a great sense of humor. Played a good fiddle, too. I know he is no longer on Ecstasy - I think when ship went to Port Canaveral, he went on to something else. Not sure if he is a CD on another ship, or what.

Bad Negative change : so much less live music and entertainment today

I noticed that too. Every night they had professional entertainers in the main show room. The guest participation stuff was done in the afternoon, and not at night. They also had live music, in mutliple venues, that ran till around 1:30 A.M. Now, you're lucky to get one "live" band that will play till 12:30 A.M. But, I'm willing to bet that the 3-day fare then, is the same as a 3-day now. I guess change is the only thing that is inevitable.

I think it's not necessarily inflation or greed, but a response to a change in the way consumers purchase items and services. We now purchase so much "on our own" via the Internet that companies must provide the absolute best upfront cost possible in order to compete. They now inflate the costs of the "extra" services to make up for the lower fare.

Archived