Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old November 24th, 2012, 02:12 AM
10,000+ Club

Default Onboard AmaCerto

Just arriving in Vienna and wanted to take a moment to post.

This boat is absolutely gorgeous and we are all having a wonderful trip. AMA has really delivered a premium river cruise experience.

Staff is wonderful, food very good, all aspects of trip so far are top notch. This is the best of our cruises to date and it will be hard to top it.

Budapest was very interesting. Andrea MkKay was our private guide and I highly recommend her. We stayed at Marriott Millenium and it was perfect for us in terms of location, accommodation and service.

Will post more details as time permits.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I'm looking forward to reading more! Have a great trip!

Old November 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hello caviargal,

Great to hear from you, and so happy that you are having a wonderful time.

Will look forward to your review!

Sailed:
Ocean Cruises:
• California Coastal - Golden Princess, Nov 2013 • Alaska RT Seattle - Golden Princess, August 2012 • Pacific Coastal San Diego to Vancouver - Zuiderdam, May 2012 • Greek Isles - Star Princess, July 2011 • Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess, September 2010 • Western Mediterranean - Holland America Noordam, August 2010 • Baltic - Emerald Princess, August 2009 • Alaska Cruisetour Southbound - Coral Princess, August 2008 • Mexican Riviera - Diamond Princess, November 2006 • Mexico Cabo San Lucas - Carnival Elation, 2008 • Mexico Baja - Royal Caribbean Monarch, 2007

River Cruises:
• Danube Budapest to Prague - AmaLyra, August 2013

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Old November 24th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Just got off that ship in June

doing reverse itinerary. I loved it too.We opted for double balcony and was WORTH EVERY PENNY.
Loved Budapest so much,booked another for 2014 from there to Bucharest.
Have fun,know you will.

Old November 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM
10,000+ Club

Look forward to your live updates.

Old November 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
5,000+ Club

We are doing this cruise next November so anxious to hear all a out it.

Old November 24th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Enjoy your cruise! Can't wait to hear about your journey

Old November 24th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have a great trip! Anxious to hear all about it and your thoughts on Budapest! Did your transport in Budapest work out well with Pulai? The AmaCerto sound beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Coral Princess Alaska 6/03,Caribbean Princess 9/04, Island Princess 3/05, Emerald Princess 3/10, Avalon Affinity 10/2010, Avalon Panorama 11/2011, Oceania Marina 5/2012, Avalon Affinity 10/2012, Oceania Marina 7/2013, Oceania Marina 4/2014, Oceania Marina 2/2015

Old November 25th, 2012, 02:07 AM
10,000+ Club

The airport transfer was great. He was right there with a sign for us, waiting when we went through customs.

We flew on Lufthansa which was a very pleasant experience, other than the very small seats in coach class.

We have six cabins on this sailing so a variety of categories, ranging from Aquarium Class to AA, which is the largest of the twin balconies. That cabin is gorgeous, with a large bathroom.

Last night we went into Vienna far dinner and enjoyed the opening day of the Christmas Markets. They were insanely busy, due to the first bit as well as it being Saturday night. Vienna is at its best in the evenings IMO, when the lovely buildings are lit up and even more elegant.

Just docking now in Durnstein. We have had good weather for this time of year. No rain, temps in 40s and 50s.

Cruise staff continues to impress. Head chef is from Italy and food has been varied and delicious. We are going to specialty restaurant this evening to celebrate our anniversary.

More later but those of you booked on AmaCerto have something wonderful to look forward to!

Old November 25th, 2012, 05:53 AM
10,000+ Club

I also want to mention that at least 50% of the passengers on our cruise are under 50, with a good percentage 40 and under. Great mix of Brits, Canadians, Brazilians, and more.

Gorgeous, sunny day here in Durnstein, which is cute but touristy. Off shortly to Melk.

Old November 25th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
I also want to mention that at least 50% of the passengers on our cruise are under 50, with a good percentage 40 and under. Great mix of Brits, Canadians, Brazilians, and more.
Wow, that's the younger mix you were looking for. Just curious, with this younger demographic, are there teens and children onboard?

Sounds like your ship is first rate. I've never been on a river cruise that hold more than 128 people. How close to capacity is your sailing - it appears maximum capacity is 164? Can all passengers sit in the lounge for cruise manager talks and evening entertainment or do some have to stand due to lack of seats?

Last edited by oysterdam; November 25th, 2012 at 08:17 AM.

Old November 25th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

caviargal,

Thanks for your live posts. It all sounds wonderful!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Sailed:
Ocean Cruises:
• California Coastal - Golden Princess, Nov 2013 • Alaska RT Seattle - Golden Princess, August 2012 • Pacific Coastal San Diego to Vancouver - Zuiderdam, May 2012 • Greek Isles - Star Princess, July 2011 • Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess, September 2010 • Western Mediterranean - Holland America Noordam, August 2010 • Baltic - Emerald Princess, August 2009 • Alaska Cruisetour Southbound - Coral Princess, August 2008 • Mexican Riviera - Diamond Princess, November 2006 • Mexico Cabo San Lucas - Carnival Elation, 2008 • Mexico Baja - Royal Caribbean Monarch, 2007

River Cruises:

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Last edited by bobalink; November 25th, 2012 at 09:45 AM.

Old November 25th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks for your posts! Sounds perfect and reinforces our decision to go with AMACerto!

Old November 25th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the information and the live posts. We will be sailing on the AMACerto next August and are looking forward to ot.

May 1992 - Big Red Boat ** September 2004 - Brilliance of the Seas ** April 2005 - Radiance of the Seas ** March 2006 - Brilliance of the Seas ** April 2007 - Adventure of the Seas ** February 2008 - Liberty of the Seas ** June 2008 - Radiance of the Seas ** February 2009 - Celebrity Summit ** September 2009 - Celebrity Solstice ** March 2010 - Radiance of the Seas ** September 2010 - Celebrity Millennium ** February 2011 - Holland America Volendam ** October 2011 - Celebrity Constellation ** February 2012 - Oasis of the Seas ** June 2012 - Holland America Eurodam ** April 2013 - Allure of the Seas ** August 2013 - AMA Certo ** October 2013 - Oasis of the Seas ** April 2014 - Brilliance of the Seas

Old November 25th, 2012, 03:44 PM
5,000+ Club

How does one go about booking the specialty restaurant? Is this done once onboard or can it be done in advance?

Old November 25th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Gratuities

Hi Caviargal!
thank you for the update. We board on the 13th of December. Cannot wait!
Could you please update me a little...what is the recommended gratuity per person per day please. One of the passengers traveling with me wants to know... and I can't find it!
Thanks in advance and enjoy Melk! Such a sweet town! I just hung up my hand painted Melk ornament that I bought two years ago! Must buy another one this trip!
Have fun!

Cathy and Ron Koenig
Atime2travel

'04 Radiance of the Seas, Caribbean
'05 Serenade of The Sea, Hawaii
'06 Vision of The Seas, Mexican Rivera
'06 Millennium, Mediterrean Venice to Barcelona AWESOME CRUISE!!
'07 Monarch of the Seas, Baja Family Cruise with 14 people
'07 Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean
'08 Celebrity Millennium, Northbound to Alaska
'08 Viking River Cruise of Christmas Markets
'09 Carnival Dream Innaugural
'09 AMA River Cruise Prague to Budapest
'10 Carnival Splendor Mexico
'10 Celebrity Millennium Southbound Alaska
'11 Liberty of The Seas, Caribbean
'12 Celebrity Solstice, Mediterrean Barcelona RT
/12 AMA Christmas Markets River Cruise
'13 Viking Rhine River Cruise
'13 Yangtze River Cruise during 24 day China, Tibet, HongKong Tour
'14 Carnival Mexico Cruise
'14 Holland America ms Westerdam Alaska
'14 Pacific Princess, Tahiti and Marquesas

Old November 25th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Gratuities

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkoe1 View Post
Hi Caviargal!
thank you for the update. We board on the 13th of December. Cannot wait!
Could you please update me a little...what is the recommended gratuity per person per day please. One of the passengers traveling with me wants to know... and I can't find it!
Thanks in advance and enjoy Melk! Such a sweet town! I just hung up my hand painted Melk ornament that I bought two years ago! Must buy another one this trip!
Have fun!
Hi catkoe1,
I am not caviargal, but I just finished reading the information below on the AMA Waterways website.

Here is the link:
http://www.amawaterways.com/already-...avel-resources

From the AMA Waterways website:
Gratuities
Gratuities to your Cruise Manager and ship crew are not included in the vacation price. While the amount of these gratuities will depend upon your degree of satisfaction for services received, many of our clients have asked us for general tipping guidelines. For good service, we recommend 3 Euros per passenger, per day for the Cruise Manager and 12 Euros per passenger, per day for the crew, which will be divided up among the ship's personnel. It is also customary to acknowledge a particularly good performance of a local guide by leaving a tip of 1-2 Euros per tour. Gratuities on most vessels, but not all, may be charged on credit card as well as cash.

We're planning our first river cruise for August 2013 aboard the AmaLyra.

Enjoy your trip!

Sailed:
Ocean Cruises:

River Cruises:

Old November 25th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default @bobalink

Thank you for that quick response. I should have looked it up.
My last Christmas Market Trip was on AMALyra and we loved it! It was such a fun crew! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Looking forward to experiencing this new ship AMACERTO and hope to continue for many years to come to experience the new ships of AMA WATERWAYS! My favorite!

thanks again!

Cathy and Ron Koenig
Atime2travel

'04 Radiance of the Seas, Caribbean
'05 Serenade of The Sea, Hawaii
'06 Vision of The Seas, Mexican Rivera
'06 Millennium, Mediterrean Venice to Barcelona AWESOME CRUISE!!
'07 Monarch of the Seas, Baja Family Cruise with 14 people
'07 Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean
'08 Celebrity Millennium, Northbound to Alaska
'08 Viking River Cruise of Christmas Markets
'09 Carnival Dream Innaugural
'09 AMA River Cruise Prague to Budapest
'10 Carnival Splendor Mexico
'10 Celebrity Millennium Southbound Alaska
'11 Liberty of The Seas, Caribbean
'12 Celebrity Solstice, Mediterrean Barcelona RT
/12 AMA Christmas Markets River Cruise
'13 Viking Rhine River Cruise
'13 Yangtze River Cruise during 24 day China, Tibet, HongKong Tour
'14 Carnival Mexico Cruise
'14 Holland America ms Westerdam Alaska
'14 Pacific Princess, Tahiti and Marquesas

Old November 25th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkoe1 View Post
Thank you for that quick response. I should have looked it up.
My last Christmas Market Trip was on AMALyra and we loved it! It was such a fun crew! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Looking forward to experiencing this new ship AMACERTO and hope to continue for many years to come to experience the new ships of AMA WATERWAYS! My favorite!

thanks again!
Hi catkoe1,
Glad to help a "neighbor"... we are in Huntington Beach .
We were originally booked on the AmaCerto, but moved over to the AmaLyra when AMA had a "sale". We ended up getting two extra days, an upgraded stateroom and $1,000 off.
I would have loved to go on the AmaCerto, but the deal was too good to pass up for the AmaLyra. It was basically the same cruise, just in reverse order.

Someday I would like to experience the Christmas Markets. I hope you will come back and write a review.

Safe travels!

Sailed:
Ocean Cruises:

River Cruises:

Old November 26th, 2012, 02:43 PM
AmaWaterways CustomerRelations ~ Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
Just arriving in Vienna and wanted to take a moment to post.

This boat is absolutely gorgeous and we are all having a wonderful trip. AMA has really delivered a premium river cruise experience.

Staff is wonderful, food very good, all aspects of trip so far are top notch. This is the best of our cruises to date and it will be hard to top it.

Budapest was very interesting. Andrea MkKay was our private guide and I highly recommend her. We stayed at Marriott Millenium and it was perfect for us in terms of location, accommodation and service.

Will post more details as time permits.
Greetings from AmaWaterways,

We are so pleased to read about caviargal's experience "live" from our AmaCerto, and we too are looking forward to seeing more posts. Happy anniversary to you caviargal!
We also appreciate the kind words from alexandra cruiser.
Rachel G and bobalink, we look forward to welcoming you aboard next year and hearing about your experiences.
Catkoe1, thank you and we hope to welcome you aboard again soon!

Warm Wishes,
AmaWaterways Customer Relations