Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Nov 24, 2012 Review

C Cruise Dude

This cruise was a relaxation cruise. I was originally looking at 10 day cruises but due to lack of vacation time I had to reduce it to 7 days. I looked at Princess, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise lines. I chose Princess because they were a brand that I wanted to try, I was not familiar with the Royal Caribbean ship (Vision of the Seas) that I was considering for the 10 day, it was a smaller ship and I’m not a fan of the NCL Sun although a good cruise can be had on that ship. When I booked the cruise with Princess, they had a sale on and in addition, I was given a discount because I had sailed on Carnival Cruise Line (Carnival and Princess are owned by Carnival Corporation).

On my first cruise I was so tired by the end of the first day on the ship that I missed activities. I now fly in the day before embarkation and relax. This time I flew into Fort Lauderdale and booked the Best Western Plus Oakland Park. The hotel is the type where the rooms are outside. The hotel received bad reviews on Cruise Critic and other sources. I was amazed when I opened the door to my room. It looked better than some other brands upscale rooms for almost twice the price. The free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port was great. The hotel had a swimming pool inside a high security fence and a bar at the end of the pool. There was also a coin laundry in the building opposite the office. The office staff was very helpful and professional. There was a hot breakfast (free) the next morning with scrambled eggs, sausage and breads (cereal was available as well as coffee and juice).

The major plus for me is that I like a hotel that is within walking distance of restaurants and stores so that I can pick up last minute items for the cruise. There was a shopping mall at the next corner (within sight of the hotel) and good food near it. The Coral Mall has a Publix Supermarket, Target and several other stores inside the mall. There was a Wendy’s half a block down one street from the mall and the best sub/pizza shop across from Target; Time Square Pizza. They had the best Italian sub (great bread, filled with meat and cheese) with a drink for $8.

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

Best Western Plus Oakland Park

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

Coral Ridge Mall down the street

Embarkation was a breeze. I arrived at about 11:25am and was on the ship by 12:30pm. They had a line for VIP but there was not many in it. Princess has moved into the 21 Century by using hand held devices to check you on and off the ship. No more large machine to slide the sign and sail card into, they scan it like the devices in supermarkets. This was first time that I arrived on the ship before 2:00pm and was able to go directly to my cabin which is great because I use a carry on. I met my Steward in the hallway and went inside.

DSCF7619.jpg

Arrival at the port

DSCF7622.jpg

Line for check in

DSCF7624.jpg

The cabin was B228 (11th floor, forward). I was upgraded to the cabin by Princess (email a month before sailing). I was originally in D716 (9th floor, aft) which I thought would be better but I accepted the upgrade because I had never sailed in a forward cabin and have considered port hole cabins on Carnival and wanted to see if the motion was any different there then the midship and aft cabins that I had occupied on my previous 10 cruises. First let me talk about the cabin and then I will talk about the motion. The inside cabin has Princess beautiful off white and wood trim with a large framed mirror over the bed (love that décor). When you first walk in, to the right is the open closet (first for me), a tall cabinet with large shelves and the safe. The bathroom is across from the closet. I had the beds in the king sized configuration since I was cruising solo. There was a round glass top wooden table at the corner of the foot of the bed. I put that in the closet because it was in the way. The bed had two night stands on each side with two drawers and about three drawers in the desk. The refrigerator was in the corner below the flat screen TV and counter. I love that Princess keeps the ice bucket in the frig to make the ice last longer. There was a large bottle of water and 4 cans of Coke products in the refrigerator. The bathroom was standard except that this was the smallest shower that I had ever used. I affectionately refer to it as the girdle. The shower head with permanently affixed to the wall and there is little room to move around in there. The closet was really big and had the most hangers that I recall on cruise. These are real hangers that come off the rack not the type that have the bottom portion that slip into a hook on the permanent part that stays on the rack. There was a hair dryer above the desk and a phone with your name on the caller ID. Your name is also on the mail box outside your cabin. There was serious motion (high winds and moving fast), more than I have experienced before in rougher waters. The drawer in the night stand kept sliding open and it got so bad one night that I took all the unused hangers off the rack because they were making an annoying noise all night. The bed was shaking at times during the night. I would not recommend this area of the ship to someone who is sensitive to motion.

DSCF0019.jpg

Elevators

DSCF0027-1.jpg

B228

DSCF0026.jpg

Large Open Closet - Cabinet from floor to ceiling to the right

DSCF0031.jpg

Refrigerator

DSCF0029.jpg

Shower (girdle)

DSCF0028.jpg

Desk, Phone, and Hair Dryer

After settling in my cabin, I took a walk around the Lido Deck looking for eats and checking out my home for the next 7 days. The burgers looked good but I wanted something more at that time. The ice cream bar was my first target (my favorite on the ship). I wanted to try the shakes that I had heard about but wanted a cone for now. I made a visual on the pizza but plenty of time for that later. The pools are nice but I almost never use the pools on cruise. I expected more people outside but was surprised how few were present.

DSCF0050.jpg

Lido Pool

DSCF0032.jpg

Sitting area next to the burgers

DSCF0038.jpg

My favorite place on the ship - Ice Cream Bar -Popcorn Machine for MUTS

DSCF0040.jpg

Our neighbors in the port. Liberty of the Seas and Grand Princess among others.

DSCF0043.jpg

Kids Pool

DSCF0036.jpg

Pizza (next to the burgers) Lido Deck

Edited by C Cruise Dude
add more

Well it was time for the life boat drill. We met in the theater and had to bring our life jackets from our cabins. I haven't done that since my first cruise 9 years ago. It was pretty painless. We then had sail away. It was fun watching all the ships in Port Everglades.

DSCF0061.jpg

We had to put our life jackets on after the demonstration from the crew.

DSCF0077.jpg

Grand Princess left before we did

DSCF0088.jpg

So did Liberty of the Seas

DSCF0094.jpg

These must be the hands that you wave to for the webcam. I had heard of these, now here they are.

DSCF0096.jpg

Sunday morning was our first port; Princess Cay. I started out the day with breakfast in Horizon Court. It was crowded as usual so I had breakfast outside near the adult pool.

DSCF0113.jpg

Aft - Adult Pool area for breakfast

DSCF0117.jpg

The Princess bag that the lady has on her shoulder was a gift from Princess. My Steward left one on my desk - very nice.

The first port was Princess Cay. The private island was one of the best that I have been to. Princess used the life boats as tenders. You picked up a ticket and waited for your number to be called leave the ship. The transfer to the island was quick and efficient. Actually, Princess gets kudos from me because they used this disembarkation at every port. You picked up the ticket and prepared any last minutes activities until your number was called. No crowed stairs with people herding to get off the ship. The island was nice for me because they had more pavements, sand is nice but it is hard to walk on. The water was cold when it hit you (it was November) but warm when you submerged. The food area was great with a good variety to choose from including ribs. The eating area was not crowded. The only drawback to the island was the hard sand as you entered the water. You almost needed Crocs on it was so hard. I have experienced this at other private islands and the Cruise Director did warn people before getting off the ship. The shop was another thing. The same items that could be purchased in the ships store, the water proof case with Princess written on it was $3 in the ship’s store and $13 on the island. Other than that, it was a great port.

DSCF0121.jpg

Boarding a life boat used as tenders

DSCF0126.jpg

Inside the life boat

DSCF0130-1.jpg

DSCF0134.jpg

DSCF0138.jpg

Venders on the island

DSCF0144.jpg

Entertainment on the Island (very good).

The following day was a sea day. There was plenty of activities on the ship. It started for me with our meet and greet (M&G). I can say it was one of the best M &G that I have attended. The gift exchange was really nice. We stayed and talked a little after the meeting in Skywalkers but had to leave because there was another group scheduled in there.

DSCF0246.jpg

Meet & Greet/Gift Exchange in Skywalkers

Other activities on the ship:

DSCF0218.jpg

Live Band in the Atrium with dance music

DSCF0224.jpg

Upstairs in a bar there was ballroom dancing with the ship's band

DSCF0238-1.jpg

at the same time there was football on the big screen (Movies Under The Stars - MUTS) and a show in the theater.

DSCF0233.jpg

Flamenco dancers after the band finished

DSCF0574.jpg

Dancing in Skywalkers after 11:00pm with a DJ

Your write-up and pictures are great.:)

I like some of the rest are looking forward to the rest of your review.

My friend and I are to do this same itinerary the end of March 2013.

You had mentioned (I believe) about getting the egg crate mattress or cover for the bed. I also ordered that through my TA also. I know when I was on Princess before the beds are very HARD.:mad: Some people like this. I LOVE Carnivals beds/and beddings.:) Since Princess is owned by Carnival, they need to "change" their beds.

Since Princess is owned by Carnival, they need to "change" their beds.

They are changing their beds - just do a search on new mattresses or new beds. We had the pillow top mattresses on both our cruises in the last 6 months.

Thanks for your review. I love reading reviews like yours that have pictures. Also, nice to read what a first time Princess cruiser has to say.

Especially enjoying reading it as I'm taking a break between my full day at work and having to leave in an hour and a half for work networking event - yuck. Not my favorite thing. Looking forward to the rest of your reviewl

Edited by MichelleinOC

So far love your review continue

Sea ya

Eric

Tba fall cruise 2013

Caribbean Princess Feb 2013

Carnival Liberty Nov2012

Hal Westerdam March2012

Ruby Princess Nov2010

Sapphire Princess Sep2010

Rccl Adventure Of The Seas April 2010

Carnival Miracle Feb2010