Current Island Princess rescue

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:45 PM.
Paso Robles, Ca
626 Posts
Joined May 2009
We are currently onboard the Island Princess somewhere between Costa Rica and Jamaica. The captain noticed a boat afloat and we turned around and the boat is currently alongside the ship. There are 5 people onboard a small boat and they state they are from Jamaica and were heading for a bbq on the other side of the island and ran out of gas and have been adrift for 3 weeks. The captain is bringing them onboard now and will let the boat go. Will do a secure security screening on them and the coast guard has been informed.

Way to go Princess!!!!!
488 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
We are on the Island Princess right now between Costa Rica and Jamaica. The captain stopped the ship, turned around and went back to check out a rowboat floating adrift. We rescued five Jamaicans who it turned out have been adrift for about three weeks. They have been brought on board and the Coast Guard has been notified. Kudos to the captain and crew for a dramatic rescue at sea and for keeping the passengers fully informed the whole time.
Melbourne, FL USA
1,243 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by jkocpa
We are on the Island Princess right now between Costa Rica and Jamaica. The captain stopped the ship, turned around and went back to check out a rowboat floating adrift. We rescued five Jamaicans who it turned out have been adrift for about three weeks. They have been brought on board and the Coast Guard has been notified. Kudos to the captain and crew for a dramatic rescue at sea and for keeping the passengers fully informed the whole time.
a "rowboat"...the picture looks like more tan a row boat?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI D+, 543 Cruise Points
Celebrity Elite+, Azamara Discoverer+ 848 points

113 cruises complete with the,

114th Celebrity Summit, 10 Night 06/27/2017 : Canada cruise, Port Liberty R/T, Bar Harbor Me., Saint John NB, Halifax NS, Portland Me., Boston Ma, Newport RI

115th Royal Caribbean Freedom OTS, 14 Night 10/22/2017; Western Transatlantic, Barcelona, Cadiz, Tenerife, Grand Canary, La Palma, Ft. Lauderdale

116th Celebrity Silhouette, 9 Night Ultimate Caribbean
01/26/18; Fort Lauderdale R/T to Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, St Maarten

117th Azamara Quest, 13 Night 04/07/2018; Eastern Transatlantic, Miami, Hamilton Bermuda, Horta Azores, Ponta Delgada Azores, Lisbon
fly Lisbon to Dubai, 1 Night pre cruise in Dubai
118th Royal Caribbean Mariner OTS, 15 Night 04/22/18; Dubai to Barcelona, Jordan, Suez Canal, Jerusalem, Crete, Barcelona.
BTB
119th Royal Caribbean Mariner OTS, 13 Night 05/07/18; Western Transatlantic; Barcelona to Valencia Spain, Gibraltar, Funchal Madeira, Miami

120th Royal Caribbean Brilliance OTS, 16 Night 09/01/18; Western Transatlantic; Amsterdam to, Waterford, Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Ponta Delgada, Tampa.

Booked.
Ottawa, On Canada
17 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
We were getting back on the ship yesterday in Jamaica and Jamaican police were taking all 5 away. They were handcuffed except for 1 who was holding his stomach (appeared as if he was in some discomfort). It was not a rowboat - motor boat with 2 large engines.
San Diego
5,137 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
...ran out of gas .....pretty dumb to do that .....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise History
Viking Longship Baldur, Amsterdam to Budapest (2017)
Celebrity Summit, Round-trip Bermuda (NY) (2017)

Crown Princess, Round-trip Hawaii (LA) (2016)

Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean (2016)
Zuiderdam, Mediterranean Explorer (2015)
Emerald Princess, Western Caribbean (2014)

Jewel of the Seas, Southern Caribbean (2014)
Golden Princess, Round-trip Hawaii (LA) (2013)
Pacific Princess, Mediterranean & Adriatic (2012)
Pacific Princess, Mediterranean Collection (2012)
Island Princess, Pacific Coastal (2012)
Sapphire Princess, LA / Hawaii / Samoa / Tahiti / LA (2011)
Golden Princess, Round-trip Hawaii (LA) (2011)
Crown Princess, Greek Isles / Med + Italy (2010)
Sapphire Princess, Mexico (LA) (2010)
Royal Princess, Mediterranean + Italy (2009)
Sapphire Princess, Australia / NZ + Fiji (2007)
Golden Princess, British Isles + Scotland (2006)
Dawn Princess, Mexico (SF) (2006)
Grand Princess, Mediterranean + Italy (2005)
Tahitian Princess, Cook Island (2005)
Tahitian Princess, Marquesas Island (2005)
Zenith, Western Caribbean (2004)
Ryndam, Mexico, (2003)
Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean (2003)
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean (2003)
Dawn Princess, San Diego to Hawaii (2003)
Dawn Princess, Tahiti to Hawaii (2002)
Dawn Princess, Hawaii to Tahiti (2002)
Royal Princess, Panama Canal (2002)
Ocean Princess, Southern Caribbean (2001)
Dawn Princess, Mexico (1991)
Golden Odyssey, Black Sea / Med (1990)
Dawn Princess, Mediterranean (1989)
Fair Sky, Alaska (1984)
Fair Sea, Panama Canal (1983)
12,498 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
If it had 2 big engines, it could've been a drug runner boat. After realizing their engine/gas problems, they could've dumped the drugs and hoped for rescue. Guess that's why they really have to check out their story and why they were led away in handcuffs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - cruise #41 coming up!
Upcoming Cruises:
2017: 2 down, 2 to go: Pacific Princess & Regal Princess
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Star Princess, Royal Princess & Azamara Journey
Bethel Park PA USA
3,240 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by pegpowell
Adrift for three weeks?
A bit long, can you survive that long without food or water?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed Cruises:
Ruby Princess November 4 2012
Caribbean Princess July 8 2007
Caribbean Princess July 3 2004
Raleigh NC
24,574 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Wow, I hope it turns out well for everyone.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kirk

Future Cruises
HAL Prinsendam 7-15-2017 - Four months on the Elegant Explorer
Hurtengruten Fram 12-15-2017 - Christmas and New Years with the penguins
Azamara Journey 3-7-2018 - An Azamara World Cruise
HAL Noordam 9-30-18 - Vancouver to Sydney
South Carolina
27,337 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Interesting! Must have been a reason for them to have been taken away in handcuffs.

~~~~
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Waukesha, WI
97 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
We were also on the cruise. It was announced that there was a carcass of a goat onboard that they were supposedly bringing to the barbecue. Cruise staff assumed that this was how they were able to survive for so long. It also had been pretty rainy, so fresh water may have been available.
Many rumors were circulated on board, but no one official would really talk about what happened after they left the ship.
Michigan
1,016 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
my husband and i were also on the ship and witnessed the rescue.
many people felt their story of three weeks adrift and heading to a bbq was off.
either way, you could tell they were hungry and thirsty. i'm glad princess was able to get them to land safely.
12,498 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Originally posted by sjmbruce
my husband and i were also on the ship and witnessed the rescue.
many people felt their story of three weeks adrift and heading to a bbq was off.
either way, you could tell they were hungry and thirsty. i'm glad princess was able to get them to land safely.
Interesting. That is my supposition too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - cruise #41 coming up!
Upcoming Cruises:
2017: 2 down, 2 to go: Pacific Princess & Regal Princess
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Star Princess, Royal Princess & Azamara Journey
Pueblo, Colorado
77 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We were also on the ship. I noticed the boat as I was passing and asked my husband if we were near land. We weren't and then we got out the binoculars and looked at the boat. It appeared as if no one was on board. Then a few minutes later, the ship stopped and turned around and went to look for the boat. The captain made an announcement that the ship was turning around to look for a possible craft in distress. When the ship was within shouting distance, we heard the men begging for water. It was a small boat with 5 men on it. The boat itself didn't look like much, but there were two huge outboard engines that looked kind of expensive and not very old. There was also an empty 55 gallon drum in the middle of the boat- it was transparent blue plastic- could have held water. There was a tarp covering the rear of the boat. Lot's of people were yelling and asking what's under the tarp. When the boat was next to the ship, a hatch opened on the side of the ship and water and food was handed out to the men on the boat. Eventually- the men did cut the ropes to the tarp and reveal what was underneath- but we couldn't see from our vantagepoint. The men were alongside the ship for about 20 minutes before they were taken inside the Island Princess. Once we were underway, the captain made another announcement with the story about the men being adrift for 3 weeks and lost on the way to a BBQ. Few people believed that story. The boat was set adrift with a box in it to let other ships know that the occupants had already been rescued.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Do the thing that you think you cannot do.
Zhengzhou, China
1,833 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by stoneharborlady
A bit long, can you survive that long without food or water?
Without food yes, without water no. You can get water by eating fish eyes and intestines. In fact, people will start to crave things not 'normally' on the menu.
Waukesha, WI
97 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
After hearing nothing about the resolution to this whole thing, I did some Google searching of Jamaican new sources. Evidently, all of the young men had to be processed through Jamaican health and immigration and were then returned home to their families. I'm sure they were all very thankful on Christmas!