Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Dec 2012 Australia & New Zealand Cruise

Just got back from the Voyager. Our first 14 nighter ever (on any ship) and our first sailing out of Australia and my first time in New Zealand... so many firsts!

Time to start the review!

But first, some pictures of the beautiful Voyager docked at Circular Quay (Overseas Passenger Terminal). These were taken from the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

293yeew.jpg

34ywu3p.jpg

Stay tuned.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Singapore is an 8 hour flight away from Sydney.

Our journey started with a red-eye flight from Singapore to Sydney on the new budget carrier called Scoot (a wholly owned subsidiary of Singapore Airlines). (http://www.flyscoot.com/index.php/en/)

We arrived in Sydney at about 2:30pm on Dec 8th, embarkation day.

This was the plane we took. It even has a name.

29wtkdc.jpg

Since we just returned from the 18 day Au/NZ on Radiance, I am very interested in your report. Your pictures so far are great! What type of camera are you using? I had a new camera for the trip and was very disappointed with my pictures:(.

Lucky you, 8 hours away. Our flights were one hour, followed by 5 hours, followed by 15 hours, followed by 5 hours:eek:....thirty something when you count connection times.

Australia has extremely strict quarantine laws, therefore we did not bring any food with us other than made-in-Singapore 3-in-1 Milo sachets. We dutifully declared them to the authorities and we were allowed to bring them in.

From the airport, we took a taxi straight to Circular Quay, Overseas Passenger Terminal. The ride took about 30 minutes and the fare was more than 60 AUD.

This is the ship from the taxi drop-off.

1pdkcp.jpg

Since we just returned from the 18 day Au/NZ on Radiance, I am very interested in your report. Your pictures so far are great! What type of camera are you using? I had a new camera for the trip and was very disappointed with my pictures:(.

Lucky you, 8 hours away. Our flights were one hour, followed by 5 hours, followed by 15 hours, followed by 5 hours:eek:....thirty something when you count connection times.

I am using a Canon PowerShot S95, bought almost 2 years ago. It is a point and shoot camera, and not a DSLR. I believe the current version is the Canon Powershot S110. If you google up the camera, you will find tons of reviews. Cheers.

By the time we reached the terminal, it was about 4:30pm.

See the following poster for the staggered boarding times.

20axru0.jpg

The location of the Sydney Overseas Passenger Terminal cannot be beaten. However, the terminal is rather small and therefore boarding must have taken quite some time earlier in the day.

Given our late arrival, boarding was a breeze. At the check-in counters, we were told that the ship was sailing with 3,400+ passengers and at the time of our boarding, another 500 passengers had yet to board.

Australia has extremely strict quarantine laws, therefore we did not bring any food with us other than made-in-Singapore 3-in-1 Milo sachets. We dutifully declared them to the authorities and we were allowed to bring them in.

Very true. And they check with dogs when you get off in the ports.

I am using a Canon PowerShot S95, bought almost 2 years ago. It is a point and shoot camera, and not a DSLR. I believe the current version is the Canon Powershot S110. If you google up the camera, you will find tons of reviews. Cheers.

My new one is a Canon Powershot SX240HS. Very disappointed. My previous camera was Nikon and made excellent pictures!

Just got back from the Voyager. Our first 14 nighter ever (on any ship) and our first sailing out of Australia and my first time in New Zealand... so many firsts!

Time to start the review!

Stay tuned.

Looking forward to your latest review... we really enjoyed your previous review ! ! ! :)

2nh43d4.jpg

Day 1! Yeah baby!

a0wcog.jpg

Key officers. Very interesting to have the same Captain (Cpt Charles) as well as the same Cruise Director (Gordon Whatman) from our June 2012 cruise!

It was quite funny. During the Captain's corner, Cpt Charles stressed at least twice that he was Norweigian, not Italian.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

I have had two Canon S95's, and hope to have a third under the tree in three days.

The first one I put down on the picnic table, which was actually two tables pushed together and covered with palm fronds, in Bora Bora. The tables were in the water, and I did not look since I was sitting backwards, facing the shore. Unfortunately, the tables were not close enough together, and the palm fronds were not very sturdy, and I put it on the fronds in between the tables. Of course, it ended up in the Pacific, where it spent several seconds before I could find in amidst all the very fine sand. Despite immediately washing it out thoroughly with fresh water, and putting it in a baggie of white rice, it has never worked again.

I thought it was a terrific camera, and bought another. By that time, Canon had discontinued it for the S100, and I had a hard time finding one. My son had bought the S100, and I thought the features and controls on the S95 were a lot better, so I was again very happy with the pictures, particularly in low light which is where that camera excels.

I took it with me on the 12/3 Liberty when, half way through the cruise, it disappeared! I don't believe it was immediately stolen, because I had it with me in the Sphinx lounge for the C&A top tier event. I could have left it there since I know I took several pictures. I usually put it into my pocket, we went to the theater and back to the cabin, and the next morning it was not in my pocket. Searches of the lounge and the theater were fruitless, and it was never turned in to lost and found. Fortunately, I had copied all of the photos, up to the last couple of days, off the memory card so pictures lost were minimal. Conclusion, someone else now has a nice camera.

This time it was a lot harder to replace. I went to all the electronic stores in St. Martin, but everyone told me it was obsolete. I then scoured the reviews of the S100 and S110 (the latest), and downloaded the manuals, and decided on the S95 again, so it went onto the Christmas list. Hope Santa has good connections!

Anyway, that camera excels in low light, which explains the quality of the poster's pictures.

Well done, and looking forward to reading more!

Jim

I bought the identical camera about a year ago. I love it! Great review so far too!